PDA

View Full Version : Life NooB Cycling Program?

Dayze
03-01-2011, 11:41 AM
As the warmer weather approaches, so does my goal of hopping on the bicycle for the first time in years for some much needed exercise; primarily to reduce my fatness, and simply to get outside a little more with the wife etc. I'm hopeful to eventually ride my 14 mile round trip route to work a couple times per week; but honestly, I have no idea what 14 miles will 'feel' like on a bike. My wife has about a 4 mile commute.

Last season my wife and I completed the Couch to 5K running program, and it seemed to work very well for folks like us who were starting from scratch. Although I haven't ran for a while now, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of similar programs for cycling - whether it be their own, or something that's published.

I don't have a 'road' bike, per se; simply a Mongoose mountain bike, with knobby tires. I'm not looking to upgrade/change my bike at this time, but I'll probably heavily consider different tires more suitable for paved surfaces.
Just looking for suggestions so I don't overdo it, and can gradually build up my fitness.

What say you?

Donger
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
As the warmer weather approaches, so does my goal of hopping on the bicycle for the first time in years for some much needed exercise; primarily to reduce my fatness, and simply to get outside a little more with the wife etc. I'm hopeful to eventually ride my 14 mile round trip route to work a couple times per week; but honestly, I have no idea what 14 miles will 'feel' like on a bike. My wife has about a 4 mile commute.

Last season my wife and I completed the Couch to 5K running program, and it seemed to work very well for folks like us who were starting from scratch. Although I haven't ran for a while now, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of similar programs for cycling - whether it be their own, or something that's published.

I don't have a 'road' bike, per se; simply a Mongoose mountain bike, with knobby tires. I'm not looking to upgrade/change my bike at this time, but I'll probably heavily consider different tires more suitable for paved surfaces.
Just looking for suggestions so I don't overdo it, and can gradually build up my fitness.

What say you?

14 miles with little elevation change is different than 14 miles with 1,000 feet of vertical. What is yours like?

Get a bike computer or use MapMyRide.

I'm assuming that your Mongoose has 26" wheels? If so, you can buy different tires that aren't as "knobby." I typically buy my bike stuff from Nashbar.com

Donger
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, and buy a pair of shorts (or three) that have a decent chamois. I prefer gel.

And gel gloves.

chiefsnorth
03-01-2011, 11:48 AM
14 miles on a road bike is nothing. If you don't ride on(unpaved) trails the mountain bike is I'll suited for the task. (well I guess if your task is to work as hard as possible then it fits that bill, but it's far more enjoyable to ride something designed for the purpose you're using it for)

Donger
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
14 miles on a road bike is nothing.

Depends on the speed and the elevation change.

loochy
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh, and buy a pair of shorts (or three) that have a decent chamois. I prefer gel.

And gel gloves.

For 14 miles?

Lol.

chiefsnorth
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM

True. I was picturing a commuting route that was reasonably flat and that he would probably ride leisurely so as not to arrive sweaty and smelly.

loochy

What say you?

Just go do it. 14 miles isn't very far and it will be much easier than running a 5k. The only thing is that your butt might get sore from rubbing on the seat at first.

Your bike should be fine unless you really want to start racing.

Donger
For 14 miles?

Lol.

Sure. I wear my shorts and gloves even when I ride on my trainer for 10 miles or less.

loochy
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM

He's riding to work. I doubt he'll really be pushing it..he probably doesn't want to show up to work all sweaty.

tooge
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
really, the most important thing is that you dont want to be seen wearing one of those skin tight bike rider shirts. They are UBER GHEY

chiefsnorth
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Road bikes are expensive, but many people who want to lose weight or commute find hybrid bikes to their liking. It would suit you better than the mongoose and be of much higher quality. Plus if you are going to have to lock it up somewhere... The damage is less if it gets thieved

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
really, the most important thing is that you dont want to be seen wearing one of those skin tight bike rider shirts. They are UBER GHEY

That's why they call them bicycles.

Dayze
03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Just go do it. 14 miles isn't very far and it will be much easier than running a 5k. The only thing is that your butt might get sore from rubbing on the seat at first.

Your bike should be fine unless you really want to start racing.

He's riding to work. I doubt he'll really be pushing it..he probably doesn't want to show up to work all sweaty.

Thanks.
I think when I get the bike up and running I'll have the Wife drop me off at work on a Saturday with the bike; and see what the ride home is like to get an idea of how out of shape I am. lol. I think a few years ago when we rode occasionally, my a** hurt like a SOB from that seat. not sure if it was because of the seat, or just not being used to riding etc or what.

It's nearly a direct shot to work, but there are some hills - nothing too major I don't 'think', but we'll see

Eventually, if this ends up being something I enjoy doing, I'm definitely going to consider a different bike.

Dayze
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Road bikes are expensive, but many people who want to lose weight or commute find hybrid bikes to their liking. It would suit you better than the mongoose and be of much higher quality. Plus if you are going to have to lock it up somewhere... The damage is less if it gets thieved

thanks for the info; I'll look up some 'hybrid' bikes.
(never heard of them :doh!:)

Donger
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks.
I think when I get the bike up and running I'll have the Wife drop me off at work on a Saturday with the bike; and see what the ride home is like to get an idea of how out of shape I am. lol. I think a few years ago when we rode occasionally, my a** hurt like a SOB from that seat. not sure if it was because of the seat, or just not being used to riding etc or what.

It's nearly a direct shot to work, but there are some hills - nothing too major I don't 'think', but we'll see

Eventually, if this ends up being something I enjoy doing, I'm definitely going to consider a different bike.

A grown man riding on a bike saddle is not a normal thing. Your ass is going to hurt. Trust me, buy a pair of gel shorts.

tooge
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
here is a seat that may help you to forget about the pain in your arms and legs

Dayze
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
here is a seat that may help you to forget about the pain in your arms and legs

LMAO

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, get a hybrid, and something better than a crappy Mongoose, 14 miles will kill you on that POS. Trek makes great entry level bikes, and 14 miles on a good bike is nothing.

And don't listen to Donger, I've done rides of up to 50 miles and all I wear are jean shorts.

Dayze
03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, get a hybrid, and something better than a crappy Mongoose, 14 miles will kill you on that POS. Trek makes great entry level bikes, and 14 miles on a good bike is nothing.

And don't listen to Donger, I've done rides of up to 50 miles and all I wear are jean shorts.

good to know.
Sounds like the consensus is to upgrade to a bike that's more fitting for what I'll be doing.

anyone want to buy a Mongoose MB?
:evil:

Donger
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Oh, you must have tiny balls.

It's not really the bike, but the weight. I'd imagine a Mongoose MTB is probably, what, 30lbs+

F*ck that.

Lzen
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM

It's not really the bike, but the weight. I'd imagine a Mongoose MTB is probably, what, 80lbs+

F*ck that.

FYP

Mongoose are tanks.

chiefsnorth
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM

It's not really the bike, but the weight. I'd imagine a Mongoose MTB is probably, what, 30lbs+

F*ck that.

They may as well be made out of iron.

Worse, if it was bought at a discount retailer there are many plastic parts where you'd expect metal(such as the crankarm) and probably won't last.

Lzen
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
They may as well be made out of iron.

Worse, if it was bought at a discount retailer there are many plastic parts where you'd expect metal(such as the crankarm) and probably won't last.

Good point. There is a difference between the Mongoose you buy at a quality bike shop and the one you buy at Walmart. A huge difference.

Donger
03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
FYP

Mongoose are tanks.

Yeah, I was just looking at their MTBs. It's never a good sign when they don't list weight under the specifications.

I can't imagine riding a MTB hard. I've got a Specialized Stumpy that I ride on family outings, and I hate the damn thing.

Dayze
03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
the one I have is pretty light. I can lift it with one arm and not struggle at all.
it's not SUPER light by any means, but...I'd guess it's around 15lbs.

just a wild-assed guess though.

Donger
03-01-2011, 03:53 PM
the one I have is pretty light. I can lift it with one arm and not struggle at all.

That would be one VERY light MTB. Has it got wheels on it and other necessary stuff?

Dayze
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM
That would be one VERY light MTB. Has it got wheels on it and other necessary stuff?

LMAO
yeah, two of them in fact.

now i need to weight the thing...
maybe i'm way off.
hell, it's been a good 3 years since I've even touched it.

Dayze
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
LMAO
yeah, two of them in fact.

now i need to weight the thing...
maybe i'm way off.
hell, it's been a good 3 years since I've even touched it.

...that's what she said.

chiefsnorth
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
They used to make very high end BMX bikes and some midrange mountain bikes so it's possible his is 10 or more years old and sort of nice and not too heavy as MTBs go.

rockymtnchief
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
The only advice I have is be patient.

I've been mountain biking for 15 years. Every spring I think I can just jump on and go at the same pace I was at in the fall. It usually takes me 4-5 good rides to get to where I'm feeling good about my rides. I usually keep track of my times. Every time it improves, I'm more inspired for the next ride.

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

F*ck that.
Nah, I have huge balls. I also have a really good seat.

The weight is an issue, but everything else about discount store bikes sucks too. The components suck, the geometry is all fucked up and they're uncomfortable. I rode one for just a few miles a couple years back and it completely wrecked me.

But then again, I think Guru rides a Mongoose and he does ok, so maybe they're among the best of the worst.

Donger
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Nah, I have huge balls. I also have a really good seat.

The weight is an issue, but everything else about discount store bikes sucks too. The components suck, the geometry is all ****ed up and they're uncomfortable. I rode one for just a few miles a couple years back and it completely wrecked me.

But then again, I think Guru rides a Mongoose and he does ok, so maybe they're among the best of the worst.

A quick review of their website shows me that they are pretty decent machines.

cdcox
03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

I can't even imagine the case of jock itch that would give me.

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I can't even imagine the case of jock itch that would give me.
That's funny, I've had no issues with it at all. My biggest problem is my hands going numb from leaning on the handlebars for so long. The padded gloves didn't help, I even went so far as to putting that thick foam pipe insulation all over the handlebars last year. It looked ridiculous but it helped a lot.

Frosty
03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
A quick review of their website shows me that they are pretty decent machines.

Mongoose sells a premium bike line through bike shops. That is probably what is on their website. They also sell a line of cheap Chinese crap through department stores.

My youngest son's first bike was a Mongoose from Wal-Mart. It was a gigantic pile of crap. Super heavy too. After about a year, we moved him into a Specialized Hardrock and the differences are night and day.

Dayze
03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
thanks for the advice/recommendations. I might see if I can get 'er up and running this weekend and take her for a spin.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Jorts... ROFL

Omaha
03-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks.

That will happen, but it will go away after a few weeks when your taint gets used to the seat. You could get a cushy seat to replace yours, but those are not good for your back long term.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
That's funny, I've had no issues with it at all. My biggest problem is my hands going numb from leaning on the handlebars for so long. The padded gloves didn't help, I even went so far as to putting that thick foam pipe insulation all over the handlebars last year. It looked ridiculous but it helped a lot.

Bugeater, where do you usually ride?

rageeumr
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM

For a frame of reference, I have a Specialized road bike that's about 20.5 lbs and a Trek triathlon bike that's about 21.5 pounds. They're both aluminum frames with carbon forks and seat posts. A full carbon frame would be more in the 18lb region.

If I had to guess, I'd say your bike is in the 30-35 lb range.

EDIT: After a bit of research, I think it might be more like 35-40 lbs.

Dayze
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
For a frame of reference, I have a Specialized road bike that's about 20.5 lbs and a Trek triathlon bike that's about 21.5 pounds. They're both aluminum frames with carbon forks and seat posts. A full carbon frame would be more in the 18lb region.

so much for my wild assed guess! :doh!:
i was way off.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

EDIT: After a bit of research, I think it might be more like 35-40 lbs.

This is about right.

rageeumr
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
so much for my wild assed guess! :doh!:
i was way off.

I'm the worst at guessing weights. Just ask the lady I made cry when I was doing the "guess your weight" game at Worlds of Fun.

Also, I'd like to echo what Donger recommended. I don't really even get on my bike without bike shorts. It just gets your business up and out of the way.

Dayze
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
cool; this is all good information. (takes notes)
gloves, shorts etc.

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Bugeater, where do you usually ride?
Either the MOPAC or the CB trails and the Wabash Trace. I'm not crazy about the creek trail system here in town. Lincoln has a killer trail system, I'm going to try to get down there a few times this year.

And I like my jorts damnit! :cuss:

Omaha
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Either the MOPAC or the CB trails and the Wabash Trace. I'm not crazy about the creek trail system here in town. Lincoln has a killer trail system, I'm going to try to get down there a few times this year.

And I like my jorts damnit! :cuss:

I do the taco ride on the Wabash a few times each summer. We also have a small group that does a weekly ride around Zorinsky & on the West Papio trail. We end up at Brewsky's on 156th & Q for wings & a couple of pitchers. Let me know if you'd like to join us sometime. There's currently no dress code, so, theoretically, your jorts are welcome to join us as well. :thumb:

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
I do the taco ride on the Wabash a few times each summer. We also have a small group that does a weekly ride around Zorinsky & on the West Papio trail. We end up at Brewsky's on 156th & Q for wings & a couple of pitchers. Let me know if you'd like to join us sometime. There's currently no dress code, so, theoretically, your jorts are welcome to join us as well. :thumb:
Oh hell, I do the Taco Ride almost every week. Zorinsky drives me nuts, too damn many peds out there. When do you do that ride, is it a weekend thing?

Rausch
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Is this the thread where we grind up and boil down 12 n00bs to remove their impurities and end up with one solid new member?...

Omaha
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh hell, I do the Taco Ride almost every week. Zorinsky drives me nuts, too damn many peds out there. When do you do that ride, is it a weekend thing?

Last summer it was every Tuesday night. A few of us did Mondays when MNF started up so we could watch some of the game at Brewsky's. You're right about Zorinsky. Sometimes we skip it & just ride West Papio to Maple & back. We get about 20 miles doing that.

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Last summer it was every Tuesday night. A few of us did Mondays when MNF started up so we could watch some of the game at Brewsky's. You're right about Zorinsky. Sometimes we skip it & just ride West Papio to Maple & back. We get about 20 miles doing that.
What kind of pace do you guys ride at? Are you hardcore road bikers or is it a bit more leisurely?

Omaha
03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
What kind of pace do you guys ride at? Are you hardcore road bikers or is it a bit more leisurely?

Most of us have mountain bikes or hybrids. I ride a mountain bike & just try to keep my heart rate up to get a workout. I try to average 15-16 mph. Some of the guys take it slower & there are a couple of guys who go balls out & leave me behind.

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Most of us have mountain bikes or hybrids. I ride a mountain bike & just try to keep my heart rate up to get a workout. I try to average 15-16 mph. Some of the guys take it slower & there are a couple of guys who go balls out & leave me behind.
Cool, that's more my speed. Shoot me a PM when you decide when you're going to do it and I'll go ride with you as long as it's not Mon or Wed night. I have classes those nights through May.

chiefsnorth
03-02-2011, 01:53 PM
You guys are making me jones... we have another month or so of winter....

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
You guys are making me jones... we have another month or so of winter....March is pretty iffy here too, usually if it's warm enough to ride it's too damn windy.

Donger
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM

That's a decent clip on a MTB. I was passed by a guy on MTB last year, and I was pushing pretty hard at around 22 mph. I tried to catch him but he was maintaining. Sucked.

Dayze
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
i have a feeling i'll have my work cut out for me lol.

rageeumr
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
That's a decent clip on a MTB. I was passed by a guy on MTB last year, and I was pushing pretty hard at around 22 mph. I tried to catch him but he was maintaining. Sucked.

My legs look like a muscular guy's arms. I did 5 or 6 duathlons and triathlons last year and got passed by a few mountain bikes. It's extremely deflating. That's a personal goal of mine for this season. No getting passed by a mountain bike.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
My legs look like a muscular guy's arms. I did 5 or 6 duathlons and triathlons last year and got passed by a few mountain bikes. It's extremely deflating. That's a personal goal of mine for this season. No getting passed by a mountain bike.

Last year I noticed that the guys who blow by me always have their feet clipped in. I don't have clips, but I'm thinking of getting them this year. Do they really make a big difference?

chiefsnorth
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Last year I noticed that the guys who blow by me always have their feet clipped in. I don't have clips, but I'm thinking of getting them this year. Do they really make a big difference?

Big difference, more than you would think. Both in speed and the distance you can do. It let's each foot both push on the downstroke and pull on the upstroke. Once you get used to it, you make a lot more power.

You buy the pedals, and they include the cleat for the shoes with the pedal. Many shoes will accept both types of cleats, but some shoes are either/or. The only issue is that the shoes are hard to walk in, so you wouldn't want to plan on getting off your bike at your destination and walking around without bringing another pair of shoes.

Donger
03-02-2011, 03:17 PM

If I could have caught him near a climb, I would have given him "the look" and taken off like a owl at a soccer game.

Or not.

Donger
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Yes.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes.

Thanks, Donger. That's quite compelling. I'll pick some up on my way home.

Donger
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Donger. That's quite compelling. I'll pick some up on my way home.

LMAO

I don't know anyhting about MTB pedals or clips, but I highly recommend Shimano Dura Ace pedals (or Ultegra) if you ride roadies. You'll need new shoes, too.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
LMAO

I don't know anyhting about MTB pedals or clips, but I highly recommend Shimano Dura Ace pedals (or Ultegra) if you ride roadies. You'll need new shoes, too.

Cool. I'll swing by our local bike place & check them out.

I'm thinking about getting a cyclocross bike or a road bike for longer rides this summer. As always, I just can't decide what I want.

cdcox
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
If you get new pedals and shoes (or clips) you'll have to re-learn how to pedal (circles, not up and down). And you will probably fall over at a stop sign at least once (right of passage).

Donger
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Cool. I'll swing by our local bike place & check them out.

I'm thinking about getting a cyclocross bike or a road bike for longer rides this summer. As always, I just can't decide what I want.

I'm all for local shops (especially for new shoes), but do check out online places for hardware (like nashbar.com)

Donger
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
If you get new pedals and shoes (or clips) you'll have to re-learn how to pedal (circles, not up and down). And you will probably fall over at a stop sign at least once (right of passage).

"So, wait. I have to do what with my foot? Twist like th.... argh!"

Omaha
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM

That's what I hear.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm all for local shops (especially for new shoes), but do check out online places for hardware (like nashbar.com)

Will do. I don't know what I'm really looking for so I'll probably go ride a few when it warms up. Thanks.

Donger
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Drool...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_197346_-1_202630_10000_202461

BigRichard
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Thinking about riding a bike back and forth to work a couple of days a week. I am looking at used bikes and just wondering if people could give me a little help on picking one out. I seen a few of these Cannondales on craigslist. From what I read they are good bikes. Here are a few links I was looking at:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2179604417.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2186785801.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2208274333.html

Which would you suggest if any?

rockymtnchief
03-10-2011, 09:55 AM

:thumb: I ended up in a couple creek bottoms before I got the hang of mine.

Donger
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Thinking about riding a bike back and forth to work a couple of days a week. I am looking at used bikes and just wondering if people could give me a little help on picking one out. I seen a few of these Cannondales on craigslist. From what I read they are good bikes. Here are a few links I was looking at:

Cannondales are fine. You need to make sure that they are the right size for you and find out what the gruppos are.

Omaha
03-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Is the third one a mountain bike? If so, that might not be your best option to got to/from work. The fit would be the biggest question on the other two.

BigRichard
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Cannondales are fine. You need to make sure that they are the right size for you and find out what the gruppos are.

What are gruppos?

Donger
03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
What are gruppos?

The components of the bike (front and rear derailleur, crank, brakes, etc.). If it's a decent bike, they'll be either Shimano, Campagnolo or SRAM. Those bikes are older, so they probably won't be SRAM. Each manufacturer has components that are highest end. The higher end the gruppo is, the more the bike is worth.

BigRichard
03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Is the third one a mountain bike? If so, that might not be your best option to got to/from work. The fit would be the biggest question on the other two.

I think it is now that you say that. I will axe that from my search.

Dayze
03-14-2011, 09:49 AM
On Saturday, I finally got around to getting our bikes up and running again. As many of your seasoned cyclists noted, my mountain bike is a lot heavier than I thought/remembered. And the shocks/suspension on it is sort of a pain when trying to pedal really hard. We shopped around a few bike stores for helmets etc, but ended up getting them at Dicks for a lot less. I was able to look at the hybrids, and it definitely looks like one will be in my future. We rode for a good hour and a half; mostly on paved trails that go all over the city. A few little hills, but nothing too major.

One thing is for certain, I’m definitely out of shape; and specifically ‘bike shape’. While we didn’t ‘over do it’, we were definitely a bit tired the next day. No real soreness, but had some muscle fatigue. It’s also pretty clear that while I have a 7 mile commute to work, the hills in between will be a huge challenge I think. The hills aren’t really steep, per se, but they are long.

I think I’m going to try to ride my bike around the trails behind our apartment complex a few nights a week for a couple of weeks; then simulate my route to work, gradually getting closer and closer to work.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
On Saturday, I finally got around to getting our bikes up and running again. As many of your seasoned cyclists noted, my mountain bike is a lot heavier than I thought/remembered. And the shocks/suspension on it is sort of a pain when trying to pedal really hard. We shopped around a few bike stores for helmets etc, but ended up getting them at Dicks for a lot less. I was able to look at the hybrids, and it definitely looks like one will be in my future. We rode for a good hour and a half; mostly on paved trails that go all over the city. A few little hills, but nothing too major.

One thing is for certain, Iím definitely out of shape; and specifically Ďbike shapeí. While we didnít Ďover do ití, we were definitely a bit tired the next day. No real soreness, but had some muscle fatigue. Itís also pretty clear that while I have a 7 mile commute to work, the hills in between will be a huge challenge I think. The hills arenít really steep, per se, but they are long.

I think Iím going to try to ride my bike around the trails behind our apartment complex a few nights a week for a couple of weeks; then simulate my route to work, gradually getting closer and closer to work.

That's great. I'm glad to see you're on your way. This thread is going to cost me a fortune. Every time I look at it I think of something else I want to buy.

Dayze
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
It's amazing; when I was in my car commuting to work last week etc, I looked at the hills and though "ah...these aren't bad at all". Yeah....different story when I got my a** on the bike. lol. AFter the ride, i was visualizing the ride to work, and I sort of just laughed at the thought of a few of the hills. lol. Not laughing in a scoffing manner, but more along the lines of "there's not way in hell I would make it up that hill".

Oh well. It was fun to get out and ride; I hadn't been on a bike in probably 6 years; and probably 10 years before that. Felt really good after the ride. I'll work my way up.

Donger
03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I think Iím going to try to ride my bike around the trails behind our apartment complex a few nights a week for a couple of weeks; then simulate my route to work, gradually getting closer and closer to work.

Good plan.

KevB
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
So I have several hundred to spend on a new bike. I'm new to the game, although I ride my old Trek MB around paved trails with my daughter. I'd like to get into it more, primarily for exercise and just the enjoyment of riding. There are paved trails all over the place, so I've been focused on a hybrid. I'm going to visit local bike shops this weekend, with my eye on Trek (maybe a Kaitai or 7.3) and Giant primarily. There has been some good feedback in this thread, but wondered if anyone else had thoughts?

Where do people ride in the KC area?

Omaha
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
So I have several hundred to spend on a new bike. I'm new to the game, although I ride my old Trek MB around paved trails with my daughter. I'd like to get into it more, primarily for exercise and just the enjoyment of riding. There are paved trails all over the place, so I've been focused on a hybrid. I'm going to visit local bike shops this weekend, with my eye on Trek (maybe a Kaitai or 7.3) and Giant primarily. There has been some good feedback in this thread, but wondered if anyone else had thoughts?

Where do people ride in the KC area?

I wouldn't worry about the brand. Trek & Giant both make excellent bikes. Ride some and see what is more comfortable.

Omaha
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
OK, biking enthusiasts. I pulled the trigger on a new Cannondale Cyclocross Bike & I'm loving it. I test rode several road & cross bikes & I just liked the feel of the cross frame better. I'm ready to get out & ride!

WV
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Just bought a Trek 3700 Mountain Bike to incorporate some bike riding into my exercising. Any pertinent info I should know about or advice?

I went looking at hybrids, but this one caught my eye. I'll be riding a bike path or canal mainly, but wanted the option to ride off road if I wanted. This one seems like it fit the bill for me.

Baconeater
05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
What are you running for tires on that thing? Aggressive mountain bike tires will just slow you down on smooth surfaces.

WV
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
What are you running for tires on that thing? Aggressive mountain bike tires will just slow you down on smooth surfaces.

They aren't very aggressive. They are Bontrager LT3's.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/e7b/4d3/8e4/56464/product_page/bontrager-lt3-700c-tyre.jpg
The LT3 are Bontrager's all-condition, light trail specialty tires designed for fast rolling on both pavement and trails. Available with Hard-Case Plus puncture protection and in an ECO Design version

Baconeater
05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Eh, that's somewhat similar to what I used to have on my bike, and I recently switched to these Bontrager H2s and the difference is night and day.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/09bo410454?wid=390&hei=390&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=85,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Although my previous tires were about 10 years old, so there's probably been improvement in mountain bike tires in that time.

WV
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Eh, that's somewhat similar to what I used to have on my bike, and I recently switched to these Bontrager H2s and the difference is night and day.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/09bo410454?wid=390&hei=390&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=85,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Although my previous tires were about 10 years old, so there's probably been improvement in mountain bike tires in that time.

I'm hoping this bike lasts me a long time. After dealing with crap bikes I was read to invest a little $$ in a quality one. Amazing how expensive they go!

Baconeater
05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Heh, yeah. I paid around $900 for mine 12 years ago. Didn't have shit for money back then, had that fucker on layaway for 8 months. Swore I'd ride it 'til the wheels fell off, and I will. But if you're serious about riding you need something good.

As far as the tires, if you start doing longer rides on paved or even the smooth crushed limestone trails, you should think about something slicker. You can always put the mountain tires back on if you have the urge to do something more challenging. After you have enough flats out on the trail (and you will) you'll be able to change out a set of tires pretty quickly.

And always carry a pump and patch kit, or even a spare tube.

WV
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Heh, yeah. I paid around $900 for mine 12 years ago. Didn't have shit for money back then, had that fucker on layaway for 8 months. Swore I'd ride it 'til the wheels fell off, and I will. But if you're serious about riding you need something good.

As far as the tires, if you start doing longer rides on paved or even the smooth crushed limestone trails, you should think about something slicker. You can always put the mountain tires back on if you have the urge to do something more challenging. After you have enough flats out on the trail (and you will) you'll be able to change out a set of tires pretty quickly.

I didn't go that expensive, the wife practically had kittens with this one. It's a fine entry level bike that will do great for me. I pedaled around the yard a bit tonight and the quality is apparent very quickly.

KevB
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Forgot about this thread. I bought a Giant Defy entry level road bike last summer and I've been riding pretty consistently a couple of times a week when weather permits. I love it, whether it's alone or with others. Only problem is I don't know many that are remotely serious riders, so I generally stick to my usual path.

WilliamTheIrish
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
When I moved to Fresno, i.e.had trouble getting my car out there from KC. Bought A C'Dale and ride to work (28 miles round trip) for the first 90 days. After riding on the home stretch into work, I nearly got bumped off the road. I found an alternate route that was perfect. The downside? Although .5miles shorter than the previous route,.it ended with a 400 foot climb at a 7% grade. Took me two full weeks to make it up the hill without having to walk. But I did it. And I've been riding our every since and still stretch out my rides on the w/e to 45 or even 60 miles. Lost 19lbs in 2 months and my sleep became better as well as my mental acuity. Carry proper equipment, tubes, patches, cO2 cartridges for sorting up tires. Join a bike club. They can teach you all the proper techniques and training for hitting hills.

It's been a great experience and I'm enjoying the benefits of low impact traning more than I every thought possible.

Stick with it. The payout is perfect for what you want. You'll feel better, look better and it's something you can do with the whole family or alone.

Good luck!
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Baconeater
05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I need to check into CO2, I've had three different portable hand pumps and they've all been POSes.

Omaha
05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
I took my mountain bike to Lincoln and rode around the marathoners this weekend to take pics & encourage my wife and several friends who were running. I forgot how much I liked that bike.

Guru
06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Heh, yeah. I paid around $900 for mine 12 years ago. Didn't have shit for money back then, had that ****er on layaway for 8 months. Swore I'd ride it 'til the wheels fell off, and I will. But if you're serious about riding you need something good.

You don't say?LMAO

Baconeater
06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Screw the pump, CO2 is the way to go.

Guru
06-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I picked up a nice Topeak pump and it doesn't take long to pump at all. Faster than I expected.

Guru
06-12-2014, 02:09 AM
As much as I hate to say it, bike shorts are pretty much a necessity on longer rides.