PDA

View Full Version : Life Question for short guys...

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Under 5'9".

How did you deal with school and adolescence, in general, being shorter than average?

I ask because my son, who is 12, is only 4'5". He'll be lucky to see 5'7", unless he has a major growth spurt.

I'm 6' and his mother is 5'7"

I was 5'2" when I was 12.

Phobia
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
First in before Iowanian and KC Fish.

WV
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I think your Doctor can give you a rough guess about how tall he'll be, but not sure how accurate it will be. That being said I'm 5'7" and didn't have any issues in school.

milkman
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Deal with it?

You are who you are, and height is part of that.

If he's likable, he'll be liked.

If he's a dumbass, he'll get his ass kicked often.

raybec 4
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm only 5'7" and can't recall having anyone say anything to me in school about it

Phobia
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm only 5'7" and can't recall having anyone say anything to me in school about it

When you run is it funny?

seclark
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
it all works out if you marry a tall woman. slow dancing is a blast.
sec

raybec 4
When you run is it funny?

Only if I'm racing a camel in a relay......hilarity

Over-Head
Rent some MMA tapes, have him master Pierre St.Georges version of the superman kick, then let him go jump and bust some kneecaps LMAO

Donger
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I was going to start a similar thread about small penises, but didn't have the balls.

rad
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I compensated for my height ( I'm 5'6") by being funny. Someone would make a "short" joke to me and I would just one-up them with a better one. After you show people that it won't get to you, they look past your height for who you are.

redsurfer11
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Under 5'9".

How did you deal with school and adolescence, in general, being shorter than average?

I ask because my son, who is 12, is only 4'5". He'll be lucky to see 5'7", unless he has a major growth spurt.

Does he drink milk?

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Deal with it?

You are who you are, and height is part of that.

If he's likable, he'll be liked.

If he's a dumbass, he'll get his ass kicked often.He was well liked up here. Lots of friends. He's in Florida now. Middle school. I cant monitor things as much since I'm 1000 miles away. We communicate daily and he says there are no problems. He's a happy, intelligent kid. I just worry about him.

I was a fat kid. I know how cruel kids can be.

I ignored the fat jokes, eventually, and laughed along. Soon, the jokes stopped. I told him to do the same.

Sofa King
Rent some MMA tapes, have him master Pierre St.Georges version of the superman kick, then let him go jump and bust some kneecaps LMAO

who?

http://gymtops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/georges-st-pierre-commemorative-tee2.jpg

pr_capone
My cousin dealt with this.

He ran away and joined the circus.

Donger
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
they look past your height for who you are.

No, too easy.

Phobia
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I compensated for my height ( I'm 5'6") by being funny.

Interesting. I hadn't really noticed, Troy. Tell me a funny joke.

Pushead2
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Like milkman said, be yourself & be proud of who you are.

I'm 5'9" & I play hockey against dudes that are 6'+....it's advice for anyone at any age.

Sofa King
oh and,

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4I9CwlPk8GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phobia
Sofa King gets past his height issues by posting pictures of topless men in threads. What the?

KCUnited
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Dex Factor shirt? But seriously, I wouldn't know.

Stewie
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
If he's only 12 he still has years to grow taller. I grew a bunch after my freshman year of HS. Before that I was below average in height. I ended up 6'4".

milkman
03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Interesting. I hadn't really noticed, Troy. Tell me a funny joke.

He's short on them these days.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm 5 ft 8. I was around that height in high school, so it wasn't a big deal.

Sofa King
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Sofa King gets past his height issues by posting pictures of topless men in threads. What the?

LMAO

what height issues? 6'1'' is plenty tall.

milkman
If he's only 12 he still has years to grow taller. I grew a bunch after my freshman year of HS. Before that I was below average in height. I ended up 6'4".

I was under 5' tall until the summer between my freshman and sophmore years.

WV
LMAO

what height issues? 6'1'' is plenty tall.

But you can't fix stupid! :D

Pants
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I was going to start a similar thread about small penises, but didn't have the balls.

You have a son with a small penis?

milkman
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
The thing is, kids I went to school with thought I was an arrogant asshole, and even though I was/am short, no one fucked with me.

Donger
You have a son with a small penis?

No.

Fish
I beat the shit out of a lot of people....

Honestly, it bothered me for quite a bit of my adolescence... I was always a tough guy about it. It made me work harder at things though. I couldn't be taller than the other guys, no matter what I did. But after I came to accept that, I realized that I could still be stronger, and faster, and smarter than them. And so that's what I focused on. Being better at all the other stuff that I did have control over.

It's definitely difficult at that age. And I don't know that there's much you can directly do for him at that age, other than stress the above points. He'll just have to toughen up himself. Just don't bullshit him about it, or make it some sensitive subject. Stress that he maintains his confidence in all things, and kick any bully's ass that challenges that. He will get bullied. That's a given. Teach him to be mentally tough first, which will make him physically tough when he needs to be.

Donger
The thing is, kids I went to school with thought I was an arrogant asshole, and even though I was/am short, no one ****ed with me.

I'm glad to see you outgrew that.

Phobia
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm 5 ft 8. I was around that height in high school, so it wasn't a big deal.

No, I think you were taller. You lost about 3/4" of hair at 21.

milkman
03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm glad to see you outgrew that.

No, I'm still short.

Donger
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
No, I'm still short.

LMAO

Phobia
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
You should really head over to nepachiefs and post this.

Stewie
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I beat the shit out of a lot of people....

Honestly, it bothered me for quite a bit of my adolescence... I was always a tough guy about it. It made me work harder at things though. I couldn't be taller than the other guys, no matter what I did. But after I came to accept that, I realized that I could still be stronger, and faster, and smarter than them. And so that's what I focused on. Being better at all the other stuff that I did have control over.

It's definitely difficult at that age. And I don't know that there's much you can directly do for him at that age, other than stress the above points. He'll just have to toughen up himself. Just don't bullshit him about it, or make it some sensitive subject. Stress that he maintains his confidence in all things, and kick any bully's ass that challenges that. He will get bullied. That's a given. Teach him to be mentally tough first, which will make him physically tough when he needs to be.

Fish as a kid.

http://blog.businessbeware.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/farkas.jpg

Frosty
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
If he's only 12 he still has years to grow taller.

My oldest son was small for his age up until around age 12. He usually ranked in the 10th percentile in height. Then, he grew almost a foot between age 12 and 13 and is now average height at age 16 - about 5' 10".

This was about the time we took him off of gluten but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It may have just been puberty.

threebag02
Just tell them god used your skin somewhere else.

Donger
I made a horrendous faux pas at a recent trade show. Our CEO walked up to our booth and surprised me. He wasn't supposed to be there. I shook his hand and then patted him on the head.

He's probably 5'2"

Claynus
03-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Make sure he doesn't get fat, because short and fat is a death knell.

WV
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I made a horrendous faux pas at a recent trade show. Our CEO walked up to our booth and surprised me. He wasn't supposed to be there. I shook his hand and then patted him on the head.

He's probably 5'2"

Did you ask him if you could pick him up?

Fish
03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Fish as a kid.

http://blog.businessbeware.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/farkas.jpg

LOL... no.... I wasn't a bully myself. Not by any means. I was quite an asshole in my younger years. But a bully I was not.

However, I was rather proud of my coonskin cap...

Valiant
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Under 5'9".

Dna test should give you answers.

Or have him create an account on here to harass others.

:-)

Saulbadguy
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
No, I think you were taller. You lost about 3/4" of hair at 21.

19, actually.

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
His mother was actually kicking around the idea of HGH injections. Her doctor mentioned it.
My son immediately rejected it. Shots almost everyday.

Detoxing
03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm 5 9". never really had any problems with people calling me short. I'd get it maybe once or twice a year...but it was never something anyone really made fun of me about. I dont think it's that short to be honest.

If he ends up being 5-6" or something, I can see him getting made fun of a lot for it.

However i was close friends with TWO below average kids when i was in middle/high school. One black guy, one Mexican.

The mexican kid was very popular. Dude was a baller. Always one of the first kids to get picked when we played football. He was short, but he was probably the most talented out of all of us. Played CB on both our Middle school and High school teams.

Black kid caught more shit for being short, but he was a baller too, so he didn't really catch a ton of shit.

I think you get my message here.

Brock
03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
It's hard to say how tall he'll end up being. Genetics don't seem to support your fear that he will be abnormally short.

Fish
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
His mother was actually kicking around the idea of HGH injections. Her doctor mentioned it.
My son immediately rejected it. Shots almost everyday.

Good grief no. Don't do this. I'm surprised you guys asked him, and I'm really glad he immediately rejected it.

There's nothing wrong with being short. If he were ridiculously tall, would you ask him if he wanted surgery to remove some leg bone in order to be closer to average height? No, of course not. So why give him the idea that something is wrong with him requiring injections? Good grief... sounds like his mother has much more of a problem with it then he does. No offense..

Chiefspants
03-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm 5'9 and perfectly content with that height, (My father is 5'8 and no man on my mother's side of the family is above 5'5.) Anyways, one of my best friends is 5'5 and is one of the most confident, original, and hilarious people that I know. He also gets laid more than any other person I know, not that you're hoping your son goes in that direction when he gets to be his age (He's eighteen).

If your son does not let his height bother him and goes around in life with an unapologetic confidence, (as he should) then his height will not be an issue.

trndobrd
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Since he is only 12 years old it's quite possible that he will grow some more. Regardless, kids get picked on. Too short, too tall, too fat, too skinny, funny hair, etc. Encourage him, regardless of height, to get involved with a couple sports or activities that he enjoys.

Otherwise, you might have him start on a list.

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Just FTR, being tall isn't all fun and games. The average car is uncomfortable, you're always hitting your head on things and short people constantly ask you to reach stuff for them.

Claynus
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Just FTR, being tall isn't all fun and games. The average car is uncomfortable, you're always hitting your head on things and short people constantly ask you to reach stuff for them.

And girls are genetically predisposed to want your balls.

Awful.

joesomebody
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Apparently the average height for a white male in America is 5' 10".

Until this thread, I always guessed that I was average height.

I'm 5'8", and I can't think of a time my height ever bothered me. I was always tall for my class as a youngster, but then I never really got much taller past 8th or 9th grade.

In military formations they line you up by height, and I was always near the middle of the formation. So I would still say there are probably a lot of people who are tall and a lot of people that are short. I wonder what the median height is.

joesomebody
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Looks like the median is roughly 5' 8.5" , which makes sense. There are a lot more men far taller than 5'10" than far shorter than 5'10".

Detoxing
03-01-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm 5'8", and I can't think of a time my height ever bothered me. I was always tall for my class as a youngster, but then I never really got much taller past 8th or 9th grade.

In military formations they line you up by height, and I was always near the middle of the formation. So I would still say there are probably a lot of people who are tall and a lot of people that are short. I wonder what the median height is.

5-8"-6' is perfect IMO. Can wear anything, tall enough for sports, can date any size chick and fit in sports cars.

Sometimes i wish i were 6-2.....but then I remember how many cars i'd struggle to fit in...

Ralphy Boy
03-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I was short for years, really grew during my senior year, now just under 5'11". I was one of the shortest kids in my class and was around 5' in 8th grade. If he's shorter than that by 8th grade, he'll probably get picked on.

I got together with some friends a few years ago, some 15 years after high school, and one of the guys, who was shorter than everyone, was now just about the tallest and he grew into his early twenties. Not normal but whether or not some people get picked on depends on how muscular/strong they are.

Is he naturally thin, stocky or pudgy?

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
And girls are genetically predisposed to want your balls.

Awful.
Shit, I wish.

milkman
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I was short for years, really grew during my senior year, now just under 5'11". I was one of the shortest kids in my class and was around 5' in 8th grade. If he's shorter than that by 8th grade, he'll probably get picked on.

I got together with some friends a few years ago, some 15 years after high school, and one of the guys, who was shorter than everyone, was now just about the tallest and he grew into his early twenties. Not normal but whether or not some people get picked on depends on how muscular/strong they are.

Is he naturally thin, stocky or pudgy?

I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like you're suggesting that if you're short and thin, you're going to get picked on.

Not true.

Rausch
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I've been 5' 7 & 1/2" since 7th grade.

Can't say it's bothered me much...

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
5-8"-6' is perfect IMO. Can wear anything, tall enough for sports, can date any size chick and fit in sports cars.

Sometimes i wish i were 6-2.....but then I remember how many cars i'd struggle to fit in...

I'm 6'4 and I own a Corvette. Fit in it just fine.

Claynus
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Shit, I wish.

Are you telling me that at no point in your life, your being tall, helped you with girls? That it didn't, at the very least, present you with opportunity?

Chiefs Pantalones
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I was rather short in my early teens, then in 8th grade I shot up fast. I'm only 6'1 though. To older people like a grandma's age that's tall, but anymore it's average. I'm sure he'll shoot up. If not, it doesn't matter. Good people will treat him like they want to be treated, the bad won't. That's ok though. He'll know who his real friends are.

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Are you telling me that at no point in your life, your being tall, helped you with girls? That it didn't, at the very least, present you with opportunity?
I don't really know, I don't recall any of them ever specifying that's what attracted them to me.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM

It don't mean shit. I have short friends that bang more bitches than some of us who are taller.

bevischief
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Platform shoes...

Claynus
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
It don't mean shit. I have short friends that bang more bitches than some of us who are taller.

I'm talking about opportunity, not results.

29 US Presidents were 5-10 or taller.

Claynus
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't really know, I don't recall any of them ever specifying that's what attracted them to me.

Well of course not, they're girls.

Go on a dating site. Half the girls won't even talk to dudes who are under 6 feet tall.

Gonzo
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Have him join a 2-bit circus that has a "Giant Midget" sideshow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Well of course not, they're girls.

Go on a dating site. Half the girls won't even talk to dudes who are under 6 feet tall.
Huh, interesting. I certainly never perceived it to be an advantage.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Management & leadership wise it is proven for the most part but I don't see it when it comes to pulling ass.

Claynus
03-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Dude it's in their DNA.

Chicks want to breed with males who will pass on survivability traits to offspring.

Iowanian
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I made up for being 5'8 by the additional confidence of oversized man parts, a charming personality and my humble nature.

"Dealt with"...is relative. Have I heard the jokes, had a few dumbasses who were bigger try to bully, or had a couple of girls that wouldn't go on a date because I wasn't tall? yeah.

If you've got a sense of humor, fists and head made of brick and are comfortable in your own skin....does it really matter? Some tall guys are goofy looking, some have micropenis....whatever.

I had an intern who was very small early in HS and DID have the HGH shots and he grew to 5'9 around 150lbs in pretty short order. He gave himself most of the shots and said they weren't that bad, but had a lot of growing pain in the plates during the treatments. He said he was happy he did it.

That said.....It's best if your kid just becomes comfortable in his own skin. Happiness isn't automatically awarded at 5'10.

Kyle DeLexus
03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Teach him to ride bulls or have him start racing horses or something.

Rain Man
03-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Why did they line you by height in the military?

milkman
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Appearence.

mlyonsd
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Under 5'9".

In my family we teach size doesn't matter as religion.

trndobrd
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

They put the taller Soldiers up front to stop bullets for the rest. A bit of a holdover from the Civil War.

Hog Farmer
03-02-2011, 02:03 AM
He was well liked up here. Lots of friends. He's in Florida now. Middle school. I cant monitor things as much since I'm 1000 miles away. We communicate daily and he says there are no problems. He's a happy, intelligent kid. I just worry about him.

I was a fat kid. I know how cruel kids can be.

I ignored the fat jokes, eventually, and laughed along. Soon, the jokes stopped. I told him to do the same.

So , do you specifically ask him if he's being picked on because he's half midget ?? And are you sure he's actually your kid ?

beach tribe
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
My brother is 5'6", and he never seemed to have any issues what so ever in HS or otherwise. The only thing I would worry about is him developing a 'little man complex"
This really screws with some dudes heads, and they end up doing steroids or something. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.
Just needs to shoot for short women, and there are plenty of them. Like I said, my brother never had any problem dating hot chicks. Even ones that were taller than him, I'm 6', and have been since I was 16-17, and he pulled more pussy than I did, and I pulled plenty.

penguinz
03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Growth Hormone

Cave Johnson
03-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Management & leadership wise it is proven for the most part but I don't see it when it comes to pulling ass.

Well, it could also be that we make more money (on average).

http://www.slate.com/id/2063439/

morphius
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I was 5'8" - 5'9" in HS, never had any issues at all.

Deberg_1990
03-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Short people got no reason
To live

seclark
03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
i'm 5'8" wearing my wifes heals. my brother is 6'3".

i trained a kid at work that's 6'8". road together for 2 years working towers. people called us bullwinkle and rocky.
sec

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
So , do you specifically ask him if he's being picked on because he's half midget ?? And are you sure he's actually your kid ?:spock: You've masturbated one too many hogs.

Short Leash Hootie
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know how you can come to the assumption he isn't going to grow past 5'7" when he has those genetics...

My mom is 5'8" and my dad is 5'10" and I have real tall uncles...

I was short in 7th grade and 8th grade...and then grew to be 6'3" by my sophomore year in high school.

My sister is 5'10"...

I was 5' tall when I was 13 or 14...

some kids just don't hit puberty as fast as others...I don't think you can determine how tall he is going to be when he's 12 years old...especially with fairly tall parents.

4th and Long
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
it all works out if you marry a tall woman. slow dancing is a blast.
sec
Ear muffs. :thumb:

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't know how you can come to the assumption he isn't going to grow past 5'7" when he has those genetics...

My mom is 5'8" and my dad is 5'10" and I have real tall uncles...

I was short in 7th grade and 8th grade...and then grew to be 6'3" by my sophomore year in high school.

My sister is 5'10"...

I was 5' tall when I was 13 or 14...

some kids just don't hit puberty as fast as others...I don't think you can determine how tall he is going to be when he's 12 years old...especially with fairly tall parents.Its not just my assumption, his doctor mentioned it. I agree that its entirely possible for him to have several growth spurts over the next 6 yrs.

4th and Long
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
This is nothing to worry about and I speak from experience. Just as blind people tend to adapt with a greater sense of hearing and smell, we smaller stature men tend to develope a more highly sophistaced mental prowess. :D

Fret not, BCD. There's someone out there for everyone. I'm 5'7" (in shoes) and I married a really smoking hot nurse. It all works out in the end.

Red Beans
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm still not sure how anyone remembers how tall they were when they were 12. Although not everyone's brains are clouded with malted hops and bong resin.

Phobia
03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm still not sure how anyone remembers how tall they were when they were 12. Although not everyone's brains are clouded with malted hops and bong resin.

I was about 2 feet tall when I was 12.

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm still not sure how anyone remembers how tall they were when they were 12. Although not everyone's brains are clouded with malted hops and bong resin.Not sure why I remember, but I do. I was 5' when I was 11. 5'10" when I was 17 my sr yr of HS. I kept growing 2 more yrs.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM

I don't remember my exact heights for any ages except 12 and 13, in part because the change was so noticeable. At 12, I was 4'-11". I was almost always the second tallest kid in my class after some pituitary freak, and I was indeed the second tallest boy, but there were two or three or four girls who were six inches taller and much bigger. I didn't really like having 20 percent of the class being six inches taller, particularly girls.

But then at 13, a year later, I was 5'-6". Seven inches of growth in one year. I remember having sore knees as a result, but I was again one of the tallest kids.

ChiefsNow
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ld8iPexbZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8ZuKF3dxCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Extra Point
03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I was rather short in my early teens, then in 8th grade I shot up fast. I'm only 6'1 though. To older people like a grandma's age that's tall, but anymore it's average. I'm sure he'll shoot up. If not, it doesn't matter. Good people will treat him like they want to be treated, the bad won't. That's ok though. He'll know who his real friends are.

THIS.

I'm 6' and one of my best friends is 5'2". Height doesn't matter. Being a friend does.

My wife is "5'12"."

BWillie
03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I think your Doctor can give you a rough guess about how tall he'll be, but not sure how accurate it will be. That being said I'm 5'7" and didn't have any issues in school.

I grew about 6 inches between my 8th grade and 9th grade year. The doctor said I would be 6'3'' or 6'4'' because I was 5'10'' as a 9th grader. Yeah..that didn't happen.

DJ's left nut
03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Under 5'9".

Play soccer.

Seriously - all of those guys were like 5'6" and sported a bitchin' bowl cut. With their Adidas sandals and Umbro shorts, they formed a little gang of marauding Chihuahua men.

And yeah, your Dr. can probably tell you almost exactly how tall he'll be. When I broke my arm, they looked at growth plates and figured I'd settle in right at where I ended up at. Granted, I didn't get there until I was 22, but I got there. So they tend to be pretty accurate.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
A lot of good info here. Thanks, guys.

Frankie
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM

A penis shorter than 5'9" is considered short?!

I'm no longer proud of myself. :(

4th and Long
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
My wife is "5'12"."
Isn't that 6' ? :spock:

Frankie
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Isn't that 6' ? :spock:

Or 4'24"?