PDA

View Full Version : Elections Republican Field may not be so big after all

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Are they that scared of losing? ;)

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/260952/behold-short-field-rich-lowry

Behold the Short Field?

It’s not inconceivable that the Republican presidential field could be Gingrich, Romney, and Pawlenty, with Huntsman and Santorum in the second tier (and Johnson and Cain farther back). The odds are that Daniels won’t run — he said on the NewsHour on Friday that “there are a lot of concerns that are very, very personal and family-oriented” for perhaps not doing it, and compared running to throwing “yourself off that cliff.” I wouldn’t be shocked if Barbour pulls up short; he hasn’t had a great two weeks since he’s been more out there.

I’m guessing Huckabee doesn’t run, although that’s only a guess, and Palin also might sit it out, but who knows? After all the build up about a wide-open, crowded Republican race, a short field would be quite the let-down.

HonestChieffan
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Historically it gets down to one. This is some stellar work here.

BucEyedPea
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
If that's the field, and let's face it, it's the NationalNeoConReview....then it looks like Obama wins again. The Republican party is hopelessly lost.

SNR
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
If that's the field, Obama will get another term. Republicans may as well dust off McCain and tell him to have another go at it

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Historically it gets down to one. This is some stellar work here.

No kidding? The point is this was supposed to be a wide open field of candidates but it may end up being rather small. If it is I think Romney is the nominee.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
If that's the field, and let's face it, it's the NationalNeoConReview....then it looks like Obama wins again. The Republican party is hopelessly lost.

If that's the field, Obama will get another term. Republicans may as well dust off McCain and tell him to have another go at it

See you people get it while it is lost on hcf. The reason why it might be small is because they know they can't win against Obama.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I counted no fewer than 7 candidates who would be better presidents than BO in that list. It doesn't seem that short to me.

mlyonsd
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Behold the Short Field?

It’s not inconceivable that the Republican presidential field could be Gingrich, Romney, and Pawlenty, with Huntsman and Santorum in the second tier (and Johnson and Cain farther back). The odds are that Daniels won’t run — he said on the NewsHour on Friday that “there are a lot of concerns that are very, very personal and family-oriented” for perhaps not doing it, and compared running to throwing “yourself off that cliff.” I wouldn’t be shocked if Barbour pulls up short; he hasn’t had a great two weeks since he’s been more out there.

I’m guessing Huckabee doesn’t run, although that’s only a guess, and Palin also might sit it out, but who knows? After all the build up about a wide-open, crowded Republican race, a short field would be quite the let-down.

Yessssssssss................................:p

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I counted no fewer than 7 candidates who would be better presidents than BO in that list. It doesn't seem that short to me.

The only legit one is Romney the rest suck and would lose by double digits.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Yessssssssss................................:p

LMAO I guess I better start saving up

WV
03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
See you people get it while it is lost on hcf. The reason why it might be small is because they know they can't win against Obama.

At the rate he's going this next election will be like the last. No matter who the GOP runs out they will beat BO. He's destined to be a 1 term president.

SNR
03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Of the guys on that list the only one I would feel halfway good about voting for would be Cain. And that makes me very uneasy

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
At the rate he's going this next election will be like the last. No matter who the GOP runs out they will beat BO. He's destined to be a 1 term president.

Obama is at 48% approval rating which is higher than Clinton at this same time

Your delusional if you think they could run out any candidate and win.
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/canqunvlyeowt9rfw3mhiq.gif

alnorth
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/canqunvlyeowt9rfw3mhiq.gif

Your graph does not help you make this point.

A huge field does not help the party. Huckabee and Palin are both morons and are welcome to stay put at Fox. Cain, Gingrich, and Paul are all unelectable.

To me, this is Romney vs Pawlenty, and I'm supporting the latter for now.

WV
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM

These numbers have and will continue to fluctuate. Perhaps they can't run out anyone, but the trends along with his performance are not in his favor.

http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rasmussen-presidential-approval-index-feb-2-2011.jpg

Donger
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Pawlenty would beat Obama.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Your graph does not help you make this point.

A huge field does not help the party. Huckabee and Palin are both morons and are welcome to stay put at Fox. Cain, Gingrich, and Paul are all unelectable.

To me, this is Romney vs Pawlenty, and I'm supporting the latter for now.

I think it does. Obama is sitting pretty good in relation to other POTUS that got re-elected.

Obviously it is going to come down to the economy or some other major event that might take place in the next 18 months.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
These numbers have and will continue to fluctuate. Perhaps they can't run out anyone, but the trends along with his performance are not in his favor.

Of course they are going to fluctuate but as long as the economy trends upward, albeit slowly, he is going to be harder to beat.

WV
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Of course they are going to fluctuate but as long as the economy trends upward, albeit slowly, he is going to be harder to beat.

I personally think it's going to be his lack of action that gets him before anything that he actually accomplishes.

dirk digler
03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I personally think it's going to be his lack of action that gets him before anything that he actually accomplishes.

Wait a second...for the last 2 years all I have heard is he is doing to much and moving the country far left and now you are telling me he isn't doing anything?

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Christie would be the best canadiate but he isn't running in 2012.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He probably won't but I think there's a chance.

WV
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Wait a second...for the last 2 years all I have heard is he is doing to much and moving the country far left and now you are telling me he isn't doing anything?

Lack of action meaning not accomplishing all his "promises". He campaigned claiming to be different and he's not any different than soo many other crooked politicians. Other than ramming heathcare down everyone's throats IMO he's accomplished nothing of merit or for the betterment of the US.

mnchiefsguy
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Pawlenty would beat Obama.

I would agree with this. Pawlenty will have more trouble convincing the ultra-conservative wing of the GOP to get the nomination. In MN he was often criticized for being a RINO while he was Governor. I always thought that was kind of harsh, as he was a GOP Governor with a predominantly Democratic, and very liberal legislature.

patteeu
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I would agree with this. Pawlenty will have more trouble convincing the ultra-conservative wing of the GOP to get the nomination. In MN he was often criticized for being a RINO while he was Governor. I always thought that was kind of harsh, as he was a GOP Governor with a predominantly Democratic, and very liberal legislature.

The two Minnesota-based Powerline guys (http://powerlineblog.com) really like him, fwiw.

mnchiefsguy
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
The two Minnesota-based Powerline guys (http://powerlineblog.com) really like him, fwiw.

I liked him as Governor, voted for him. It was mainly the conservative talk radio in the Twin Cities that was always whining about him being a RINO, especially Jason Lewis. You have probably heard him, he has subbed for Rush Limbaugh a few times when Rush has been on vacation.

HonestChieffan
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Estimates run up to a billion for the next election....7 people cannot raise the money. Do any of your list excite me...no. Is it a shoe in for Obama?......You seem to believe so. Id say any of them has a shot, some better than others and Obama has to run on his record.

Give me ten things he has accomplished that the 20% of the voters in the dead center will see as worth reelection. It really comes down to about 20% who can go either way. Obama cannot count on the middle, he failed them. The lefties are in the bag and are not a risk.

Predict away. No way will I predict what the environment is in 18 months. But Obama has a record this time. He has to defend it not use it as a platform. That says a lot. Electability is the key if the republicans are successful. And raising a half bill to start the ball rolling.

Chiefshrink
03-03-2011, 02:09 AM

Christie is a RINO. I initially got excited about this guy but you look alot closer on the issues he is not a true conservative but I will tip my hat to him that he is f'n the unions in the ass right now.:thumb:

Chiefshrink
03-03-2011, 02:16 AM

Behold the Short Field?

This is nothing more than a "narrative" put out by the MSMM(MainStream Marxist Media) in order to try to intimidate the opposition and frame the debate of which I really think Obama has no legs to stand on or defend "IF" somebody like a "Gingrich" would run because "Newt" would go after him and clean his clock in a debate. I'm not necessarily a total Newt fan but he would be a helluva alot better than "Marxist boy".

patteeu
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Christie is a RINO. I initially got excited about this guy but you look alot closer on the issues he is not a true conservative but I will tip my hat to him that he is f'n the unions in the ass right now.:thumb:

:facepalm: If you demand purity according to sportsshrink, virtually every conservative Republican is a RINO.

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Estimates run up to a billion for the next election....7 people cannot raise the money. Do any of your list excite me...no. Is it a shoe in for Obama?......You seem to believe so. Id say any of them has a shot, some better than others and Obama has to run on his record.

Give me ten things he has accomplished that the 20% of the voters in the dead center will see as worth reelection. It really comes down to about 20% who can go either way. Obama cannot count on the middle, he failed them. The lefties are in the bag and are not a risk.

Predict away. No way will I predict what the environment is in 18 months. But Obama has a record this time. He has to defend it not use it as a platform. That says a lot. Electability is the key if the republicans are successful. And raising a half bill to start the ball rolling.

They are in trouble if all they are going to raise is $1 billion dollars between the 7 of them. Obama is shooting for $1 billion just for himself.

When I get more time I will attempt to make a list though I am sure it will be a futile exercise.

My prediction is if the economy keeps improving, no scandal emerges, no terrorist attack on the homeland, or no hugely major flub Obama gets re-elected and wins by 5 points or more. That is based on the factor listed above, the difficulty of beating an incumbent, and I don't see any Republican candidate that could beat him outside of Romney or possibly Huckabee.

HonestChieffan
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
They are in trouble if all they are going to raise is $1 billion dollars between the 7 of them. Obama is shooting for $1 billion just for himself.

When I get more time I will attempt to make a list though I am sure it will be a futile exercise.

My prediction is if the economy keeps improving, no scandal emerges, no terrorist attack on the homeland, or no hugely major flub Obama gets re-elected and wins by 5 points or more. That is based on the factor listed above, the difficulty of beating an incumbent, and I don't see any Republican candidate that could beat him outside of Romney or possibly Huckabee.

My prediction is one or the other will win. Beyond that its far to early and its an uninformed speculation at this point

patteeu
03-03-2011, 08:36 AM

That's a lot of ifs you've got there. What about if the economy continues to stink, if Obama continues to appear lost and impotent on foreign policy, if he continues to cower in the face of the fiscal crisis instead of providing leadership, if he is seen as being beholden to union thugs who put their own gold-plated benefits packages ahead of the general economy, and if he fails to hide the fact that, when left to his own devices, he'd be the biggest spending, biggest taxing president in American history? The more I think about reality, the more I begin to think that even Herman Cain could kick his puny little ass. ;)

The Mad Crapper
03-03-2011, 08:40 AM
That's a lot of ifs you've got there. What about if the economy continues to stink, if Obama continues to appear lost and impotent on foreign policy, if he continues to cower in the face of the fiscal crisis instead of providing leadership, if he is seen as being beholden to union thugs who put their own gold-plated benefits packages ahead of the general economy, and if he fails to hide the fact that, when left to his own devices, he'd be the biggest spending, biggest taxing president in American history? The more I think about reality, the more I begin to think that even Herman Cain could kick his puny little ass. ;)

I like Herman Cain; He's a self made man, and from what little I know, has no skeletons in the closet. He's definitely not a beltway insider.

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
My prediction is one or the other will win. Beyond that its far to early and its an uninformed speculation at this point

Surely you have an opinion on this instead of sitting on the fence

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM

I had to cover my ass :D

I don't think Cain could beat Ron Paul's old ass :)

patteeu
03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I like Herman Cain; He's a self made man, and from what little I know, has no skeletons in the closet. He's definitely not a beltway insider.

I like him too. I just had to pick one of the dark horse candidates to make my point and Cain is one of the longer shots on dirk's list.

The Mad Crapper
03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I like him too. I just had to pick one of the dark horse candidates to make my point and Cain is one of the longer shots on dirk's list.

It's a shame because he comes across as a genuinely decent man.

dirk digler

That wasn't my list that was Rich Lowry's

SNR
I had to cover my ass :D

I don't think Cain could beat Ron Paul's old ass :)I don't think so either. Ron Paul still exercises and keeps in shape very well for a 70-some year old man. He's no Jack LaLanne (RIP), but I have no doubt he has some nifty moves. Cain's kinda fat and would be pretty slow. I think two quick moves from Dr. Paul and a well-timed right hook would put Cain's ass on the ground

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't think so either. Ron Paul still exercises and keeps in shape very well for a 70-some year old man. He's no Jack LaLanne (RIP), but I have no doubt he has some nifty moves. Cain's kinda fat and would be pretty slow. I think two quick moves from Dr. Paul and a well-timed right hook would put Cain's ass on the ground

Maybe Paul would use the same moves he tried on Bruno ;)

LOCOChief
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
My prediction is if the economy keeps improving, .

The economy is improving who knew?

fan4ever
03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Economy's not going improve to any great benefit to anyone...meager improvement is what even the most optimistic predict. Inflation is on it's way like a tidal wave and who knows where gas prices will be...two things that affect every citizen. College kids not finding jobs; bloom will be off the rose. I say he's going to have a hard time getting re-elected if Republicans run a even moderately competent candidate.

Christie would blow him out of the water; bullshit vs. telling it like it is...American's are ready for some accountability by their politicians. I so hope he changes his mind as well.

SNR
03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe Paul would use the same moves he tried on Bruno ;)I'm serious man. I was one of those Ron Paul fans after 2008 who said "Damn. In 2012 he'll be ancient."

But think about it. He was born in August of 1935. That puts him at a ripe 75 right now.

Look at some other candidates up there. Barbour is 63. Newt is 67.

And what kind of shape are they in? Ron Paul is as healthy as an ox and has the body of an adonis. His real age is probably somewhere around his mid to late 50s. Barbour and Gingrich? Their real age is probably even older than what they are now.

There's no question that putting Paul up in the White House for 4 years would be risky at his age. But hell, the Republicans were ready to champion a tortured cripple around Paul's age in 2008 as president. I think a guy that age who is in remarkable shape could do a better job.

If you put up all the Republican candidates and told them to have a free-for-all fight to the death, there's no question I think Ron Paul would win.

Chocolate Hog
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm serious man. I was one of those Ron Paul fans after 2008 who said "Damn. In 2012 he'll be ancient."

But think about it. He was born in August of 1935. That puts him at a ripe 75 right now.

And what kind of shape are they in? Ron Paul is as healthy as an ox and has the body of an adonis. His real age is probably somewhere around his mid to late 50s. Barbour and Gingrich? Their real age is probably even older than what they are now.

There's no question that putting Paul up in the White House for 4 years would be risky at his age. But hell, the Republicans were ready to champion a tortured cripple around Paul's age in 2008 as president. I think a guy that age who is in remarkable shape could do a better job.

If you put up all the Republican candidates and told them to have a free-for-all fight to the death, there's no question I think Ron Paul would win.

It's probably the guanja Paul has smoked to relaxed all these years.

The Mad Crapper
03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U_DH1UV7fAY/TBp6PLGSSZI/AAAAAAAAAgk/8lW03IvBym8/s1600/Miss+Me+Yet.jpg

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm serious man. I was one of those Ron Paul fans after 2008 who said "Damn. In 2012 he'll be ancient."

LMAO I want what you are smoking. Body of Adonis...lol And you would know this how?

Calcountry
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it does. Obama is sitting pretty good in relation to other POTUS that got re-elected.

Obviously it is going to come down to the economy or some other major event that might take place in the next 18 months.I think I will book mark this thread to show all your brilliance.

Calcountry
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Economy's not going improve to any great benefit to anyone...meager improvement is what even the most optimistic predict. Inflation is on it's way like a tidal wave and who knows where gas prices will be...two things that affect every citizen. College kids not finding jobs; bloom will be off the rose. I say he's going to have a hard time getting re-elected if Republicans run a even moderately competent candidate.

Christie would blow him out of the water; bullshit vs. telling it like it is...American's are ready for some accountability by their politicians. I so hope he changes his mind as well.Have you filled your tank lately. How is the price of that cup of coffee? The cotton in your shirts?

This generation of Americans don't have a clue what kind of inflation awaits us when China bails on the dollar and our debt.

fan4ever
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Have you filled your tank lately. How is the price of that cup of coffee? The cotton in your shirts?

This generation of Americans don't have a clue what kind of inflation awaits us when China bails on the dollar and our debt.

I wish it was just "this generation"...it seems to me just about everyone has their heads up their asses...

SNR
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
LMAO I want what you are smoking. Body of Adonis...lol And you would know this how?The guy fits in more exercise for himself in a month than the other candidates probably do in a year.