PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 4

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Quite an eclectic set of choices in Heat 4. Who will seize the laurels of the victor?

ROCK ON, WAYNE!

patteeu
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Ted Nugent, Mott the Hoople, and the Carpenters.

Frazod
03-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, this list does absolutely nothing for me. I love Boston, but Smokin is one of my least favorite songs of theirs.

Great Expectations
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
It is weird how this heat is almost worthless, but the last two had 4 viable candidates.

patteeu
Well, this list does absolutely nothing for me. I love Boston, but Smokin is one of my least favorite songs of theirs.

Now that I see the list, I feel pretty much the same way. I couldn't bring myself to vote the none of the above option though so I voted for:

Boston
Dead Kennedys
Metallica

Chiefnj2
Worthless. Put the #4 from heat 3 into the finals instead of the winner from this heat.

seclark
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
smokin, and that's it.
sec

Omaha
Ted Nugent, Mott the Hoople, and the Carpenters.

This!

patteeu
Hey, wait a minute. Isn't Frazod supposed to have us on ignore?

blaise
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I hate Bruce Springsteen.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey Rain Man, can we go ahead & start heat 5? This one looks like a dud.

Frazod
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey, wait a minute. Isn't Frazod supposed to have us on ignore?

He advanced Hotel California, so I gave this crap a reprieve.

RockChalk
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
smokin, and that's it.
sec

This

RockChalk
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Along with U2, he's another performer where I just don't see the appeal. To each his own though!

seclark
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
This

anything else, i'd turn it to late night am talk radio.
sec

patteeu
03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
He advanced Hotel California, so I gave this crap a reprieve.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shenanigans in the first precinct. :)

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow.

Complete garbage list. I award it no points and my God have mercy on its soul.

MOhillbilly
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
DK
Metallica
Boston

All rockin tunes.

RockChalk
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
anything else, i'd turn it to late night am talk radio.
sec

The sad thing is as Frazod said, Smokin' isn't even in my Top 5 of Boston songs

Dartgod
03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
It is a shame that 3 of these songs will advance. Smokin is the only one slightly worthy.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Tales Of Brave Ulysses is rock friggin' history, you brainsick, tasteless bastards. First time (to my knowledge) that the wa-wa pedal was used on a record, for crying out loud.

I worry for the future of our world.

FAX

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
If "I'm not voting for any of these" comes in first, does the whole lot of them fail to advance? Afterall, that would seem to be multiplying be zero if you let 2nd and 3rd advance.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I beseech everyone to watch this youtube of Lost in the Flood. You may not know about this song because it's from one of Springsteen's first albums and it was overshadowed by more famous songs, but it's awesome. It's a story of a kind of amateur hitman who gets killed by the police, and you have to listen to the whole song because it gets stronger as it goes.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0UDo3v_wMCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The ragamuffin gunner is returnin' home like a hungry runaway
He walks through town all alone
He must be from the fort he hears the high school girls say
His countryside's burnin' with wolfman fairies dressed in drag for homicide
The hit and run, plead sanctuary, `neath a holy stone they hide
They're breakin' beams and crosses with a spastic's reelin' perfection
nuns run bald through Vatican halls pregnant, pleadin' immaculate conception
And everybody's wrecked on Main Street from drinking unholy blood
Sticker smiles sweet as gunner breathes deep, his ankles caked in mud
And I said "Hey, gunner man, that's quicksand, that's quicksand that ain't mud
Have you thrown your senses to the war or did you lose them in the flood?"
That pure American brother, dull-eyed and empty-faced
races Sundays in Jersey in a Chevy stock super eight
He rides `er low on the hip, on the side he's got Bound For Glory in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy The Saint
Well the blaze and noise boy, he's gunnin' that bitch loaded to blastin' point
He rides head first into a hurricane and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell
That is, nothin' left that you could sell
just junk all across the horizon, a real highwayman's farewell
And he said "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm
Or was he just lost in the flood?
Eighth Avenue sailors in satin shirts whisper in the air
Some storefront incarnation of Maria, she's puttin' on me the stare
and Bronx's best apostle stands with his hand on his own hardware
Everything stops, you hear five, quick shots, the cops come up for air
And now the whiz-bang gang from uptown, they're shootin' up the street
And that cat from the Bronx starts lettin' loose
but he gets blown right off his feet
And some kid comes blastin' round the corner but a cop puts him right away
He lays on the street holding his leg screaming something in Spanish
Still breathing when I walked away
And somebody said "Hey man did you see that? His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud"
I wonder what the dude was sayin' or was he just lost in the flood?
Hey man, did you see that, those poor cats are sure messed up
I wonder what they were gettin' into, or were they just lost in the flood?

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM

What? WHAT?

Listen to the song, my friend. Listen to the song. Even if you don't like Bruce now (an infathomable thought), listen to him in 1973. This song tells an American story.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
If "I'm not voting for any of these" comes in first, does the whole lot of them fail to advance? Afterall, that would seem to be multiplying be zero if you let 2nd and 3rd advance.

This is a great suggestion.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Lost in the Flood is fantastic and should advance if the whole lot of you aren't heathens.

Smokin' is a great song.

While Shelter from the Storm is a great song, it's not rock and roll in my opinion, so I couldn't vote for it. Instead, I went with the Dead Kennedys.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Post 23, people. Listen to Lost in the Flood.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
What? WHAT?

Listen to the song, my friend. Listen to the song. Even if you don't like Bruce now (an infathomable thought), listen to him in 1973. This song tells an American story.

Atlantic City is my favorite Springsteen song. Counting Crows used to cover it in concert & it was freaking amazing.

FAX
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Okay. I listened. All the way through.

Then I gagged a little and am now contemplating suicide.

Thanks, Mr. Rain Man.

FAX

Frazod
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Pretty telling when the THEY ALL SUCK option is winning. :D

DJ's left nut
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Pretty telling when the THEY ALL SUCK option is winning. :D

And most folks tend to vote before they read the comments, so its not even a dogpile.

And with the myriad of tastes that have been exhibited, the fact that the consensus opinion seems to be "these all blow" is pretty amazing.

This heat just sucks.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Atlantic City is my favorite Springsteen song. Counting Crows used to cover it in concert & it was freaking amazing.

Excellent, excellent. Now we're getting some momentum.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Okay. I listened. All the way through.

Then I gagged a little and am now contemplating suicide.

Thanks, Mr. Rain Man.

FAX

It is indeed a song that the weak can't handle. Try eating a Powerbar and try again.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh, here's a thought. Go to post 23 and listen to "Lost in the Flood" if you want to find a worthy song for the next round. I just thought of that.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Actually, I think that's a good idea, but I would propose a variant. No song advances if it gets less votes than the suckage option. So that way we might only have zero or one or two songs that advance in a weak heat.

Not that this is a weak heat. Between Lost in the Flood and Smokin', I think it's one of the strongest heats we've had so far, if a bit lopsided.

Baconeater
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Some of you have really strange tastes in music.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Okay, FAX, I'll offer you a deal. I'll go back and vote for Eminence Front if you vote for Lost in the Flood. Deal?

FAX
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Okay, FAX, I'll offer you a deal. I'll go back and vote for Eminence Front if you vote for Lost in the Flood. Deal?

Sorry, Mr. Rain Man. I'll have to get back to you on this item.

I'm currently a little occupied by the enormous volume of blood spurting from my gouged arteries.

FAX

Omaha
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Actually, I think that's a good idea, but I would propose a variant. No song advances if it gets less votes than the suckage option. So that way we might only have zero or one or two songs that advance in a weak heat.

Yes. Let's go, suckage option!!!!!

patteeu
03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Tales Of Brave Ulysses is rock friggin' history, you brainsick, tasteless bastards. First time (to my knowledge) that the wa-wa pedal was used on a record, for crying out loud.

FAX

The wa-wa pedal, while a fun little musical knick-knack, is not likely to be the basis for the greatest rock n roll song of all time, IMO.

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
What a bunch of weird choices for these artists

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry, Mr. Rain Man. I'll have to get back to you on this item.

I'm currently a little occupied by the enormous volume of blood spurting from my gouged arteries.

FAX

It's uncanny how similar your story is to that of the victim in "Lost in the Flood"

He rides head first into a hurricane and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell

This song really captures your experience, which is one of the many reasons why it's so good.

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM

FAX

Mr. Fax, I sympathize, as although I am not a player, I LOVE rock hardware and the history behind it. I particularly like keyboards, guitars and effects pedals.

However, as much as I like Tales of Brave Ulysses and Cream, and appreciate the history behind the wah-wah, I cannot condone this selection in this increasingly stupid and pointless tournament of polls.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Mr. Fax, I sympathize, as although I am not a player, I LOVE rock hardware and the history behind it. I particularly like keyboards, guitars and effects pedals.

However, as much as I like Tales of Brave Ulysses and Cream, and appreciate the history behind the wah-wah, I cannot condone this selection in this increasingly stupid and pointless tournament of polls.

So have you cast your vote yet for Lost in the Flood?

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm a conscientious objector on this one.

blaise
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM

I mean, the lyrics seem ok, but then again, it's Bruce Springsteen singing it so I can't really get myself to listen.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I mean, the lyrics seem ok, but then again, it's Bruce Springsteen singing it so I can't really get myself to listen.

You owe it to yourself to listen. You owe it to your children. You will become a better person by listening to Lost in the Flood.

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I think if we're going with flood songs, I'm voting for "Here Comes the Flood" by Peter Gabriel.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I think if we're going with flood songs, I'm voting for "Here Comes the Flood" by Peter Gabriel.

Peter Gabriel? We already have Welcome to the Jungle advancing.

FAX
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Excellent choice, Mr. siberian khatru.

Have you heard this version? From 1979 and some crazy Kate Bush special or something on BBC. Wild.

And wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0GcqYGv1AA

FAX

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Excellent choice, Mr. siberian khatru.

Have you heard this version? From 1979 and some crazy Kate Bush special or something on BBC. Wild.

And wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0GcqYGv1AA

FAX

Yes. It's always better stripped down.

I've always liked this version, too, off a Robert Fripp solo album:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0I57Voojyao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow, this is a lousy Heat compared to the 1st 3.

Graystoke
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0I57Voojyao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice..
And when Fripp worked with Eno and Roxy Music.

FAX
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
The wa-wa pedal, while a fun little musical knick-knack, is not likely to be the basis for the greatest rock n roll song of all time, IMO.

Clearly, Mr. patteeu, with this post you, unfortunately, reveal yourself to be an uncultured, unenlightened, brutish heathen and likely latent homo.

My sadness runs deep as I have always thought better of you.

FAX

Great Expectations
03-02-2011, 11:53 AM

With that theme, "When the Levee Breaks" is easily the best song.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Clearly, Mr. patteeu, with this post you, unfortunately, reveal yourself to be an uncultured, unenlightened, brutish heathen and likely latent homo.

My sadness runs deep as I have always thought better of you.

FAX

You know what's a great song to listen to when you're sad?

Lost in the Flood.

FAX
03-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Absolutely. I love this one. Fripp is a personal hero, frankly. As is Gabriel, for that matter.

Insane geniuses, the both of them. We were lucky to be alive while they were working and at the top of their game.

FAX

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Where is Hey Man Nice Shot?

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Where is Hey Man Nice Shot?

There's a line in Lost in the Flood that goes,

Hey man, did you see that, those poor cats are sure messed up
I wonder what they were gettin' into, or were they just lost in the flood?

ClevelandBronco
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Give it up, Rain Man. Not even Justice Alito voted for that turkey.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Peter Gabriel? We already have Welcome to the Jungle advancing.

LMAO

patteeu
03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
What a bunch of weird choices for these artists

Yeah, according to Rolling Stone's top 500 songs of all time list (http://www.metrolyrics.com/rs) (rank in parentheses), here's what the nominees from these groups should have looked like:

Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia (n/a*)

Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone (1)

Metallica - Enter Sandman (399)

Boston - More than a Feeling (500)

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (426)

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (26)

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love (65)

Elvis Presley - Hound Dog (19)

None of the songs nominated in this round even made Rolling Stones' list except Elvis Presley's That's All Right which came in at a respectable 112.

Rausch
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I've read 4 of these polls without a single Pink Floyd option.

I protest.

One of the 3 greatest selling rock albums of all time and no mention at all?...

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

I protest.

Recall that there are 30 more heats after this. You can rest assured that Pink Floyd is in there a few times.

It's funny to me, though, that the nominations for several artists didn't include their most famous songs. For example, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Another Brick in the Wall didn't get nominated. I've seen a few others too where I put one of their nominated songs up and realized that their most famous song didn't get nominated. I don't know if that means that the most famous song isn't the best, or if the poll topic of rock and roll was such that their most famous songs didn't spring to mind as being rock and roll.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Don't look now, but Lost in the Flood is only 11 votes from making it into the next round. Nice rally, E-Streeters.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM

I protest.

Hang tight. I think A Pillow of Winds and The Fletcher Memorial Home might be coming up soon.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Recall that there are 30 more heats after this. You can rest assured that Pink Floyd is in there a few times.

It's funny to me, though, that the nominations for several artists didn't include their most famous songs. For example, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Another Brick in the Wall didn't get nominated. I've seen a few others too where I put one of their nominated songs up and realized that their most famous song didn't get nominated. I don't know if that means that the most famous song isn't the best, or if the poll topic of rock and roll was such that their most famous songs didn't spring to mind as being rock and roll.

It's not cool to like the most famous songs and while we've got an abundance of gay wannabes here, they're mostly cool gay wannabes (who just couldn't resist the most famous GnR song for obvious reasons).

Rausch
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM

As far as range and artistic talent you have to look at an album like Meddle or Dark Side.

The most popular isn't always "best."

As far as overall performance, talent, range, and lasting ability I'd put Comfortably Numb above most of the Floyd's released singles. Gilmore was amazing there and the accompaniment was perfect. Probably their best "pop" song...

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
It's not cool to like the most famous songs and while we've got an abundance of gay wannabes here, they're mostly cool gay wannabes (who just couldn't resist the most famous GnR song for obvious reasons).

That's got to be it.

Maybe my musical tastes aren't highly evolved, but for the most part I tend to think the most famous song of almost any performer is also their best song. Perhaps that means that there's a musical wisdom in the masses on a statistical basis.

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
As far as range and artistic talent you have to look at an album like Meddle or Dark Side.

As far as overall performance, talent, range, and lasting ability I'd put Comfortably Numb above most of the Floyd's released singles. Gilmore was amazing there and the accompaniment was perfect. Probably their best "pop" song...Agree on Comfortably Numb and would add Dogs of War.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM

As far as overall performance, talent, range, and lasting ability I'd put Comfortably Numb above most of the Floyd's released singles. Gilmore was amazing there and the accompaniment was perfect. Probably their best "pop" song...

As an FYI, I just looked, and there are four Pink Floyd songs that were nominated: Run Like Hell, Wish You Were Here, Pigs, and Comfortably Numb. I hear a lot about Comfortably Numb, so I'm looking forward to listening to it when its poll comes up. Perhaps I'm a little behind the times.

Rausch
03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Agree on Comfortably Numb and would add Dogs of War.

Don't divide us.

Adding a post-Watters song (and highly controversial album at that) will only splinter our numbers.

But yeah, I did like it. And I've got 3 songs from the Division Bell in my top 10...

patteeu
03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
As an FYI, I just looked, and there are four Pink Floyd songs that were nominated: Run Like Hell, Wish You Were Here, Pigs, and Comfortably Numb. I hear a lot about Comfortably Numb, so I'm looking forward to listening to it when its poll comes up. Perhaps I'm a little behind the times.

No need to wait. Here it is:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6_HV5upI3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
As another FYI, here are the number of nominations by performer. There are 272 in total. As a footnote, I did add a few beyond the initial BigRedChief thread to get the first heat to round out well.

AC/DC 6
Ace Frehley 1
Aerosmith 3
Angel 1
Approximately, Bob Dylan 1
Aretha Franklin 1
B-52s 1
Bay City Rollers 1
Beach Boys 1
Ben Folds 2
Bill Haley 1
Billy Joel 1
Billy Squier 1
Black Sabbath 4
Blackfoot 1
Bob Dylan 23
Bob Seger 1
Boston 5
Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band 14
Buckcherry 1
Buddy Holly and the Crickets 1
Cheap Trick 5
Chicago 3
Chuck Berry 1
Cityboy 2
Cowboy Mouth 2
Cream 1
Creedence Clearwater Revival 3
Cyndi Lauper 1
Dead Kennedys 1
Deep Purple 3
DIO 1
Dire Straits 1
Dokken 2
Don McLean 1
Dropkick Murphys 1
Dusty Springfield 1
Eagles 1
ELO 1
Elton John 1
Elton John (or Ben Folds) 1
Elvis Presley 1
Eric Clapton 1
Evanescence 1
Faster Pussycat 1
Five Man Electrical Band 1
Fleetwood Mac 1
Foghat 1
Frank Sinatra 1
Grateful Dead 1
Green Day 2
Guns N Roses 12
Herman's Hermits 1
Howlin Wolf and Willie Dixon 1
Humble Pie 1
Herman's Hermits 1
Indigo Girls' remake of Dire Straits song 1
Iron Maiden 1
It Takes a Trai, Bob Dylan 1
It's All Right, Bob Dylan 1
Jack Green 1
Jerry Lee Lewis 1
Jethro Tull 1
Jimi Hendrix 2
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts 1
Joe Cocker 1
Joe Walsh 1
John Mellencamp 1
Kansas 3
King Crimson 1
Kiss 1
Led Zeppelin 7
Let It Rain 1
Little Richard 2
Lover's Day 1
Lynyrd Skynyrd 2
Matchbox Twenty 1
Meat Loaf 2
Meatloaf 1
Metallica 4
Motley Crue 1
Motorhead 1
Mountain 1
Nazareth 1
Neil Young 2
Nickelback 1
Nightwish 1
Nirvana 1
Ozzy Osbourne* 1
Paul McCartney 1
Pearl Jam 1
Peter Gabriel 1
Pink Floyd 4
Plain White T's 1
Queen 7
Queensryche 1
Refused 1
REM 3
REO Speedwagon 1
Rev Theory 1
Rolling Stones 4
Rossington Collins Band 1
Rush 3
Saliva 1
Smashing Pumpkins 2
Social Code 1
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes 1
Spinal Tap 1
Steve Jones 2
Stevie Ray Vaughn 1
Stone Temple Pilots 1
Stray Cats 1
Styx 1
Ted Nugent 1
Tenacious D 1
the Bangles 1
The Beat 1
the Beatles 7
the Chordettes 1
The Clash 1
The Cult 1
The Cyrkle 1
The Deadboys 1
The Doors 2
The Guess Who 4
The Hoodoo Gurus 1
The Housemartins 1
The Infectious Grooves 1
The James Gang 1
The Offspring 1
The Rings 1
The Rivingtons 1
The Rolling Stones 1
The Sex Pistols 1
The Troggs 1
The White Stripes 1
the Who 4
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 3
U2 4
Uriah Heep 2
Van Halen 2
Warren Smith 1
Yes 1

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Nickelback?!?

Omaha
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6_HV5upI3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL:LOL:

Rausch
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Nickelback?!?

You don't like the Bon Jovi of the 90's?...

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6_HV5upI3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Good God, pat. :shake:

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
You don't like the Bon Jovi of the 90's?...Bon Jovi had talent. I may not like their music, but they are pretty good musicians.

Third Eye
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM

There is no song called Dark Side of the Moon.

Rausch

:shake:

FD
Thats Alright should be running away with this.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Nickelback?!?

You beat me to it. That HAS to be a joke.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
You don't like the Bon Jovi of the 90's?...

Bon Jovi? More like Winger....

Rausch
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
You beat me to it. That HAS to be a joke.

Can't fucking stand them.

It's like the music industry took the boy band idea and went (light) hard rock with it...

DJJasonp
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
smokin, and that's it.
sec

agreed

Omaha
03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Rain Man, thanks for the info. Happy to see Ben Folds & Infectios Grooves.

These seem curious, though:

GNR 12
Springsteen 14 (C'mon Rain Man....)
AC/DC 6

Beatles 7
Stones 6
Pearl Jam 1
Nirvana 1

Also, once again, NICKELBACK??????????

FAX
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Did I miss something? There's no Steppenwolf on the big list of possible greatest rock songs?

No "Born To Be Wild"? No "Pusher"? No "Magic Carpet Ride"?

That's a little crazy, guys.

FAX

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll give Pink Floyd credit. They really evolved their sound for that Comfortably Numb song that patteeu put up.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Rain Man, thanks for the info. Happy to see Ben Folds & Infectios Grooves.

These seem curious, though:

GNR 12
Springsteen 14 (C'mon Rain Man....)
AC/DC 6

Beatles 7
Stones 6
Pearl Jam 1
Nirvana 1

Also, once again, NICKELBACK??????????

Did you see Bob Dylan? 25 or so nominations.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Did I miss something? There's no Steppenwolf on the big list of possible greatest rock songs?

No "Born To Be Wild"? No "Pusher"? No "Magic Carpet Ride"?

That's a little crazy, guys.

FAX

Like I said, I was surprised at some of the omissions in the original thread. I would suspect that if we went to something like Rolling Stone's All-Time 100 list, half of the top ones weren't nominated. But hey, they're Rolling Stone and we're Chiefsplanet, so if there's a conflict I'm going to assume that we're right.

Unless of course a Springsteen song doesn't win, and then of course you're all no better than the apes from which you descended.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
There is no song called Dark Side of the Moon.

Oh.

That might explain it.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Did you see Bob Dylan? 25 or so nominations.

Yeah, that one jumps out as being perhaps a little too high.

seclark
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
didn't air supply have a song titled "lost in the flood", also?
sec

FAX
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
didn't air supply have a song titled "lost in the flood", also?
sec

I'm not certain about that.

However, they do have one called, "Too Stupid To Swim".

FAX

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I had all of Air Supply's albums as a teenager. They had the voices of angels.

Omaha
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I had all of Air Supply's albums as a teenager. They had the voices of angels.

You may not be qualified to finish this thing.... ROFL

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Like I said, I was surprised at some of the omissions in the original thread. I would suspect that if we went to something like Rolling Stone's All-Time 100 list, half of the top ones weren't nominated. But hey, they're Rolling Stone and we're Chiefsplanet, so if there's a conflict I'm going to assume that we're right.

Unless of course a Springsteen song doesn't win, and then of course you're all no better than the apes from which you descended.

Had I known this was going to be what it is, I would have nominated more songs.

Only 1 Rolling Stones song? That is crazy.

FAX
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Had I known this was going to be what it is, I would have nominated more songs.

Only 1 Rolling Stones song? That is crazy.

No Troggs, either.

I think we should have an option to start all over.

FAX

MOhillbilly
03-02-2011, 02:49 PM
No Troggs, either.

FAX

2nd.

1 vote per user. 1st 100 & done.

seclark
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
2nd.

1 vote per user. 1st 100 & done.

3st!
i nominate uriah heep - july morning
sec

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
No Troggs, either.

FAX

The Troggs are in there, though I had to make them one of my last-minute add-ins to fill out the field.

Can't have a best rock song ever contest without the Troggs.

ISUJeff
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Can't have a best rock song ever contest without the Troggs.

Also can't have one without the Allman Brothers. Jessica, Midnight Rider, Whipping Post . . . Another vote for a new bracket.

bevischief
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey Rain Man, can we go ahead & start heat 5? This one looks like a dud.

2nd.

cdcox
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Also can't have one without the Allman Brothers. Jessica, Midnight Rider, Whipping Post . . . Another vote for a new bracket.

You mean Blue Sky.

And no Steely Dan????

(I don't want to hear that it isn't rock).

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
2nd.

If I get 20 more votes for Lost in the Flood, we can do it.

MOhillbilly
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
If I get 20 more votes for Lost in the Flood, we can do it.

Ill offer 100K in casino cash and rep for the next 20 votes.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Heat 5 is actually going to be pretty interesting, I think. Big variety of styles. But then again, I'm learning that my tastes may differ a bit from the average planeteer.

I'll post it in two hours, but will keep this heat open until tomorrow morning to allow the night crew to bring Lost in the Flood into the fold.

Jenson71
03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Shelter from the Storm is a classic.

patteeu
03-02-2011, 03:55 PM

It would be if you were lost in the flood.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I'm a big fan and think it's one of his top three or four songs. I couldn't vote for it here, though, because I really don't think it's rock and roll.

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Calling the race. Per the new rules, only one song advances from this thread.

Smokin' beats a field of pariahs.

PunkinDrublic
03-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Are you shitting me? Holiday in Cambodia isn't even the DKs greatest song. Should have went with let's lynch the landlord or California uber alles.

MOhillbilly
03-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Are you shitting me? Holiday in Cambodia isn't even the DKs greatest song. Should have went with let's lynch the landlord or California uber alles.

what do you expect?

PunkinDrublic
03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
QUOTE=MOhillbilly;7464233]what do you expect?[/QUOTE]

Don't know. Just felt like pointing it out.

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Calling the race. Per the new rules, only one song advances from this thread.

Smokin' beats a field of pariahs.New rules? Battery should make it out.

Reaper16
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Why are there metal songs in this competition? That doesn't make sense.

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
New rules? Battery should make it out.

Per the criteria of Darwinian poll evolution, we decided that songs need to satisfy two criteria to make it out: top three in their heat, and beat the suckage option. Unfortunately, Battery didn't make the second criterion.

patteeu
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Why are there metal songs in this competition? That doesn't make sense.

Because your classification rules are a fringe viewpoint held by only a tiny sliver of people who listen to music. Most, but not all, of that pretensious sliver need to cut their hair, get a job, and reduce their drug intake. Hope that helps. :p

Reaper16
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Because your classification rules are a fringe viewpoint held by only a tiny sliver of people who listen to music. Most, but not all, of that pretensious sliver need to cut their hair, get a job, and reduce their drug intake. Hope that helps. :p
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

JD10367
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
This heat is the NFC West of the competition.