PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone have a Kindle book reader?

El Jefe
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
My fiance is dying to get one, money could be shuffled to get one if it's worth it. Does anyone have one and love it, or know of any sweet deals on getting one, or even any advice on them?

Bowser
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
The wife has one, and she loves it. It's pretty convenient to have if you are a serious reader. The ability to download books from Amazon through their whispernet is nice.

WV
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I work with a girl that has one and loves it. I experimented with it and it is a nice display to read books on, but if she wants to read magazines as well you may want to look elsewhere.

My biggest beef with them is that I think the books should cost half what they currently do. Most are $9.99 and typically Amazon beats it's own Kindle price with real books.

You have to pay to play though.

El Jefe
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
The wife has one, and she loves it. It's pretty convenient to have if you are a serious reader. The ability to download books from Amazon through their whispernet is nice.

Thanks, I figure if you read a lot of books the thing would pay for itself numerous times over. A lady I know told me the most she has ever paid for a book on it was $9.99 and it was a Best Seller.

Urc Burry
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I'd go with the iPad. We got ours for books, but we use it for everything now. But the iPad 2 is supposed to be dropping soon

Mr. Laz
03-02-2011, 11:34 AM
price has dropped alot ... $139.99 iirc but books are overpriced all to hell.

make sure you get the latest version so you get the browser feature.

They are handy but make sure your fiancée is ok with reading on a screen that small. Imo that is the key. The screen size is closer to paragraph versus page.

maybe they could go to store and demo a screen that small to see.

El Jefe
I work with a girl that has one and loves it. I experimented with it and it is a nice display to read books on, but if she wants to read magazines as well you may want to look elsewhere.

My biggest beef with them is that I think the books should cost half what they currently do. Most are $9.99 and typically Amazon beats it's own Kindle price with real books. You have to pay to play though.

Interesting

Bowser
Thanks, I figure if you read a lot of books the thing would pay for itself numerous times over. A lady I know told me the most she has ever paid for a book on it was $9.99 and it was a Best Seller.

Yep. Plus, they have a ton of free downloads, too. They may not be titles you would usually look at, but you may find some sleepers in there.

ReynardMuldrake
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Can you read PDFs on one or is it some proprietary format? You can get x1000's of free ebooks from project Gutenberg.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
have it and love it.

the book prices are quite acceptable for the most part. I've paid about 60 bucks total for books, and I literally have 400 books (including classics, textbooks, best-sellers, etc.) on it.

Ebolapox
Can you read PDFs on one or is it some proprietary format? You can get x1000's of free ebooks from project Gutenberg.

you can, but there can be issues with text size of PDFs/scrolling.

Chiefnj2
I have a kindle, like it a lot. Buy the lighted book cover for it (an additional $50??).

ReynardMuldrake
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
you can, but there can be issues with text size of PDFs/scrolling.

Looking it up, most of the books on Gutenberg are formatted for Kindle already.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM

PDF sucks ... you pretty much need to rotate the kinda sideways to read PDF.

it's better just to convert PDF to another format. There are free apps for that.

TrickyNicky
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
You can use Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to convert most book types and PDFs to MOBI (which the Kindles can read).

For just plain reading, kindles are the best. The e-ink is very easy to read.

If you are looking to run apps, browse the internet or anything like that then you should definitely look into other options.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
You can download most new books off of Demonoid for free too. Not that I would ever advocate such a thing.

El Jefe
03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
You can download most new books off of Demonoid for free too. Not that I would ever advocate such a thing.

Duly noted :thumb:

BigOlChiefsfan
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I like mine. Easier to pack along than the 300 books I've got loaded on it.

El Jefe
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Where did everyone buy theirs? Is Kindle a Barnes and Noble Specific buy, or can you get a better deal on it from somewhere else?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I got my wife hers on woot.com one day for $150. That included the built in wifi and was a pretty smoking deal.

Kyle DeLexus
03-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Where did everyone buy theirs? Is Kindle a Barnes and Noble Specific buy, or can you get a better deal on it from somewhere else?

Kindle is Amazon isn't it? I believe Nook is the Barnes and Noble one.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

kindle=amazon.com

veist
03-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Love mine, great for a heavy reader since it saves you from lugging around a ton of books if you go on vacation, you don't build up a big pile of books that you have to do something with, etc.

jspchief
03-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I know a few people that love them.

Based on their advice, I'll likely get the Nook. They have a color one that will better for magazines and children's books.

spanky 52
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Bought one for the wife for Christmas and she loves it. Get the wi-fi version.

Mr. Plow
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Son has a kindle. Loves it. Got it off of Amazon - but I believe you can get them in Best Buy now.

QuikSsurfer
03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I got my mother a Nook Color for her birthday and she absolutely loves it.. lots of cool extras on it as well.

El Jefe
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
So now the question looms, would you buy a Kindle or a Nook?

siberian khatru
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
So now the question looms, would you buy a Kindle or a Nook?

My wife has a Kindle 2 and loves it. I'm in the market for an e-reader (mainly because my eyesight is deteriorating to the point that I can't read regular books anymore) and am leaning heavily toward the Kindle 3. However, I am doing my due diligence and checking out the Nook.

Here's a good site comparing them:

http://www.thenookvskindle.com/

I think in many ways, this is a Coke/Pepsi, Ginger/Mary Ann kind of debate.

Bill Lundberg
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
My phone came with a kindle app. I've read 3 books on it. That's 3 more books than I've read in the last 5 years. I like it.

blaise
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't have one, but my local library has signs that say you can download books into them for free, if that's information you can use. I'm sure that does't go for all libraries yet.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a kindle and love it; I'm sure there are those who have a nook and love it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
From what I understand, there is one big difference between the Nook and the Kindle. You can download library books on the Book, but you can't on the kindle.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
From what I understand, there is one big difference between the Nook and the Kindle. You can download library books on the Book, but you can't on the kindle.

there's a way to do it on the kindle too, but I haven't investigated it yet.

Pestilence
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
The wife has the Nook and fucking loves it. She doesn't buy actual books anymore.....they're all on her Nook. I have the EVO....so I have the Kindle app on my phone. I have no problem reading off of there.....so I'll probably never buy the actual Kindle or Nook for myself.

Hydrae
03-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't have one, but my local library has signs that say you can download books into them for free, if that's information you can use. I'm sure that does't go for all libraries yet.

I know my local library has books available but only in basic e-Reader format. This means it won't work on Kindle or Nook but will work on the Sony e-Reader. We don't have one yet but my wife is really interested and I am sure we will be getting one before long. She wanted a new laptop first though so now she has to wait. :)

Deberg_1990
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
What happens if the storage media (Im assuming they have hard drives?) goes bad in one of these things? Can you replace the drive or do you lose all your books?

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
What happens if the storage media (Im assuming they have hard drives?) goes bad in one of these things? Can you replace the drive or do you lose all your books?

with kindle, every book I buy/own is tied to my amazon.com account. in other words, if my kindle ever fucks up, they'll replace it and I'll not lose a single book.

Jenson71
03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Get the one where the sun doesn't affect the sight. Especially if she's a beach reader. I'm not sure which one is better for that, though.

ReynardMuldrake
Here's a Nook Color with wi-fi for $199:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=27870&t=2709951

Deberg_1990
with kindle, every book I buy/own is tied to my amazon.com account. in other words, if my kindle ever ****s up, they'll replace it and I'll not lose a single book.

Nice. thanks

Mr. Laz
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
there's a way to do it on the kindle too, but I haven't investigated it yet.
you can download books to you PC and then connect the kindle to your PC via usb wire and copy them over.

i've done it ... it's not difficult once you figure which folder to copy it to.

Mr. Plow
03-02-2011, 08:11 PM
The wife has the Nook and fucking loves it. She doesn't buy actual books anymore.....they're all on her Nook. I have the EVO....so I have the Kindle app on my phone. I have no problem reading off of there.....so I'll probably never buy the actual Kindle or Nook for myself.

Sweet....just downloaded the app.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Books remain free to check out at the library.

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Books remain free to check out at the library.

Who's got time for the library?/#winning

|Zach|
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
price has dropped alot ... $139.99 iirc but books are overpriced all to hell.

make sure you get the latest version so you get the browser feature.

They are handy but make sure your fiancée is ok with reading on a screen that small. Imo that is the key. The screen size is closer to paragraph versus page.

maybe they could go to store and demo a screen that small to see.

How is 10 bucks or less overpriced?

Its a whole book.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I'll have to ask my wife about it, but she mentioned getting something from Amazon saying that they were going to start selling their ebooks for full price.

Ebolapox
03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I'll have to ask my wife about it, but she mentioned getting something from Amazon saying that they were going to start selling their ebooks for full price.

I haven't gotten ANYTHING from amazon along those lines, dude.

DaneMcCloud
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM

I haven't either but I don't think I've turned on my Kindle in at least 14 months.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I'm going to ask her about it in the morning. I was pissed when she brought it up, and hopefully she just misunderstood something.

JD10367
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I've been researching the Nook and Kindle for my mom. The B&W Nook is $150, but for another $50 you can upgrade it to one with built-in 3G, meaning you don't even need a WiFi connection to download books. It also has a clunky crappy web browser built in, which isn't very user-friendly, but with the 3G it's basically free Internet access forever (good for a very quick trip to the Web). The Color Nook doesn't have 3G. (On the other hand, the Color Nook is great for nighttime reading, and is more of a mini tablet computer.)

Adept Havelock
03-03-2011, 05:18 AM
I've got one, and It's great. Really handy when traveling.

Guru
03-03-2011, 05:25 AM
I have the 3g Nook and it is great.

Guru
03-03-2011, 05:26 AM
I've been researching the Nook and Kindle for my mom. The B&W Nook is $150, but for another $50 you can upgrade it to one with built-in 3G, meaning you don't even need a WiFi connection to download books. It also has a clunky crappy web browser built in, which isn't very user-friendly, but with the 3G it's basically free Internet access forever (good for a very quick trip to the Web). The Color Nook doesn't have 3G. (On the other hand, the Color Nook is great for nighttime reading, and is more of a mini tablet computer.)The 3G can't be used for web browsing.

Braincase
03-03-2011, 05:40 AM
I have the Kindle 3, no 3G/just WiFi. Love it. Use it daily. I have converted a large amount of my Microsoft curriculum from pdf format to a Kindle compatible format, makes it easier to read. Beats the hell out of carrying around 3 large ring binders when I have to go teach a class. I also have access to a large fiction library that I've converted as well. Great device (and I play Texas Hold'em on it, too).

Hydrae
03-03-2011, 06:39 AM
I haven't either but I don't think I've turned on my Kindle in at least 14 months.

Ok, so why have you not turned it on in 14 months? We hear all the time from people who love theirs, what is your story? Obviously you are not enamored with it any more.

Chief Faithful
03-03-2011, 06:52 AM

You can buy off the shelf at Best Buy.

El Jefe
03-03-2011, 06:57 AM
You can buy off the shelf at Best Buy.

Sweet, im going to price shop them. You avatar is awesome, makes me smile :thumb:

3rd&48ers
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
My fiance is dying to get one, money could be shuffled to get one if it's worth it. Does anyone have one and love it, or know of any sweet deals on getting one, or even any advice on them?

My wifey has the Nook and she loves it ..

I have a brand new G Tablet with a modified rooted firmware with the Nook app installed.

Don't know much about the Kindle.

JD10367
03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
The 3G can't be used for web browsing.

Oh, that sucks. I assumed you could. So the ONLY thing the 3G can do is "phone home" to get books? That's pretty useless, then.

3rd&48ers
03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Ok, so why have you not turned it on in 14 months? We hear all the time from people who love theirs, what is your story? Obviously you are not enamored with it any more.

It's nothing more than a book, the people that really love them are the women like my wife, as I said earlier she has the nook, but if you have somebody in your life who is a bookworm, these things rock...

Books are reasonable , battery life is days on most

Chief Faithful
03-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I have wanted a Kindle for sometime, but I still use the Library for my reading so the ability to check-out ebooks is important to me. Is there any chance the Kindle will support .DRM in the future?

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 08:55 AM
How is 10 bucks or less overpriced?

Its a whole book.
because you can buy a paperback book for half that

hell, if you don't mind pre-owned you can get paperback books for a $1 or less at Half.com.

Chief Faithful
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
because you can buy a paperback book for half that

hell, if you don't mind pre-owned you can get paperback books for a $1 or less at Half.com.

The cost to buy an ebook, the lack of ability to loan and the lack of a library check-out process is why I have not yet bought a Kindle. I read enough that the Kindle could cost me $600 a year on ebooks.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
The cost to buy an ebook, the lack of ability to loan and the lack of a library check-out process is why I have not yet bought a Kindle. I read enough that the Kindle could cost me $600 a year on ebooks.

it's pretty bad that the e-version of a book can cost even more than the actual book itself. Complete ripoff.

Mr. Plow
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
My son uses his, has never paid over $9.99 for a book and most are in the $4-$5 range.

TrickyNicky
03-03-2011, 10:47 AM
There are plenty of dirt cheap kindle books. Just sort by price. Many classics are free.

Also, library.nu (http://library.nu/)

Swanman
03-03-2011, 12:42 PM
My son uses his, has never paid over $9.99 for a book and most are in the $4-$5 range.

All the books I have purchased have been 70-80% of the published retail price for the paperback on Amazon, so between $5-$7. Only books only available in hardcover went to the $10 range (like The Lost Symbol). But that's over a 50% savings from the hardcover price.

Mr. Plow
03-03-2011, 04:58 PM
All the books I have purchased have been 70-80% of the published retail price for the paperback on Amazon, so between $5-$7. Only books only available in hardcover went to the $10 range (like The Lost Symbol). But that's over a 50% savings from the hardcover price.

Yup. I don't see what the issue is in that price for an ebook.