PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 5

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
ROCK ON, GARTH! SECOND POLL IN 24 HOURS!

And we have a new rule. If you can't pick three, pick up to two and also vote for the suckage option at the end. No song that is outvoted by the suckage option will advance, even if it's in the top three.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I would strongly encourage everyone to check out Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache. It's a great 50s rockabilly tune that should be much more famous than it is.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JoxRbFrLwA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Detoxing
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow. What a "meh" group of songs to pick from.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Wow. What a "meh" group of songs to pick from.

Really? I think there are four great songs on this list: Rocket Man, Running Down a Dream, Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It killed me to not vote for Running Down a Dream, but I had to go with the other three.

I'd never heard Hell, Yeah, but it's also actually pretty good. It just ended up in a brutal heat.

ISUJeff
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
"Let It Grow" is your 1 Eric Clapton song?

When I didn't see Derek and the Dominoes nominated in the earlier thread, I just assumed you had listed it under Eric Clapton and was gonna let it slide, but "Let It Grow" ahead of "Layla"???

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Wow. What a "meh" group of songs to pick from.FAR better than the last Heat. That was pure crap.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:37 PM

When I didn't see Derek and the Dominoes nominated in the earlier thread, I just assumed you had listed it under Eric Clapton and was gonna let it slide, but "Let It Grow" ahead of "Layla"???

I am but a messenger. While I nominated some songs along with everyone else, these are all the songs put forth in BigRedChief's "Greatest Rock and Roll" song thread. And yeah, Layla is another example where the singer's most famous song wasn't suggested. Life is a mystery.

chefsos
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Wow. I never even heard of 4 of these. Into the pit.

BigMeatballDave
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I see you standing there...

You think you're so cool...

Why dont you just... FUCK OFF!

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Did you look at post #2 and listen to the Warren Smith song? If you listen to it, you'll love it.

chefsos
03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Did you look at post #2 and listen to the Warren Smith song? If you listen to it, you'll love it.Okay. Do I have to stop eating while I listen?

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Okay. Do I have to stop eating while I listen?

Probably, because you'll start dancing and singing along with it when you do.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I bet this is one of them.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1BRb7-gOsXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh, and I can name at least a dozen Petty songs that are better than Runnin' down a dream. WTF

patteeu
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Really? I think there are four great songs on this list: Rocket Man, Running Down a Dream, Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It killed me to not vote for Running Down a Dream, but I had to go with the other three.

I'd never heard Hell, Yeah, but it's also actually pretty good. It just ended up in a brutal heat.

Red Cadillac is a nice enough song (just listened to it for the first time), but I'm going to go with your other three:

Elton John, Tom Petty, and The Beatles for me.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Meh...Layla is played out. I think The Core is Clapton's best song.

chefsos
03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Well, Red Cadillac and a Black Mustache and Supernaut sounded just like any other rockabilly song and Sabbath song, respectively, to me. So, meh. I'm still comfortable with my vote to cast them all into the pit.

Psyko Tek
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
just watched the hell yeah video

my gawd what they do to those poor muscle cars

if she wasn't hot it wouldn't be worth it
voted for it anyway

ClevelandBronco
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
If you can't pick three, pick up to two and also vote for the suckage option at the end.

I guess I should have read this before voting. Tom Petty got my lone vote.

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, at least I exposed a couple of people to Red Cadillac. I had no illusion that was going to win anyway. It was kind of like backing Ross Perot for president.

bevischief
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
FAR better than the last Heat. That was pure crap.

This.

Lonewolf Ed
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Only 5 votes for Supernaut? Hasn't anyone heard this song? It will rock your face off! Frank Zappa said it was the heaviest song he'd ever heard!

KcMizzou
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I bet this is one of them.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1BRb7-gOsXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>I voted for it. But I actually knew this cover first...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Gsad-kiveU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 05:25 PM
As an aside, Running Down a Dream is my best running song during races. If you can keep your feet moving to that beat, you're going to have a good race. I've even pondered whether I could listen to it for two hours straight through the whole race.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I voted for it. But I actually knew this cover first...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Gsad-kiveU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>
I can't decide if I love that or hate it...

KcMizzou
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I can't decide if I love that or hate it...When I first discovered it, I'd never heard anything like it. If nothing else, it introduced me to the original.

chefsos
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Running Down a Dream isn't my favorite Petty song by a long shot, but Mike Campbell's guitar solo at the end kicks many asses.

JonesCrusher
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Elton John, he's good on the piano.....but he sucks on the organ.

Chief Chief
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Elton John, he's good on the piano.....but he sucks on the organ.

Ohhhhhh...I see what you did there. Anyone else?

Barret
03-02-2011, 06:00 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Gsad-kiveU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good find, I think this was also on the Nativity in Black disk that was a tribute to Black Sabbath. Several other good remakes are on that album.

As far as rock and roll. Why is Black Sabbath trailing any of the other bands listed in this heat??

So are you saying that Tom Petty and Elton John rock more then Black Sabbath?

This course you all have chosen will lead us down a path where Stairway to Heaven is the winner and there will be much complaining about it all.

KcMizzou
03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Good find, I think this was also on the Nativity in Black disk that was a tribute to Black Sabbath. Several other good remakes are on that album.

As far as rock and roll. Why is Black Sabbath trailing any of the other bands listed in this heat??

So are you saying that Tom Petty and Elton John rock more then Black Sabbath?

This course you all have chosen will lead us down a path where Stairway to Heaven is the winner and there will be much complaining about it all.Yes! I couldn't remember where I'd first heard it, but it stuck with me. Wasn't Faith No More's cover of War Pigs on that same disk?

Lonewolf Ed
03-02-2011, 06:05 PM
As for Supernaut, about 2:35 into it, the song goes from kick ass to epic. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bill Ward on the drum kit! :rockon:

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
This course you all have chosen will lead us down a path where Stairway to Heaven is the winner and there will be much complaining about it all.
Nah, Frazod will rig it so nothing by Zeppelin will win.

stevieray
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
rocket man?

:rolleyes:

Rain Man
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
rocket man?

:rolleyes:

What? I love Rocket Man.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's doing as well as it is. I think it's quite deserving, but it was looking to me like the planet crowd was a little more hard rockish in their preferences.

And hey! Hey! Someone else voted for Red Cadillac! Look!

patteeu
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
What? I love Rocket Man.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's doing as well as it is. I think it's quite deserving, but it was looking to me like the planet crowd was a little more hard rockish in their preferences.

And hey! Hey! Someone else voted for Red Cadillac! Look!

As with most of these artists, there are several Elton John songs I'd vote for ahead of Rocket Man (personally, Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is my favorite), but I think it's a good song. I like the Black Sabbath song more, but I already voted for Paranoid so I cast my vote to maintain a little more diversity in the next round.

headsnap
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Gsad-kiveU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

I had never heard this one with Trent singing on it, this ROCKS!!! I love the 1000 Home DJ's with Al singing on it and the original Black Sabbath which has been a fav of mine since the early 80's...

KC Tattoo
03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I see you standing there...

You think you're so cool...

Why dont you just... **** OFF!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HR_ONjZD9A0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HR_ONjZD9A0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

nsfw;)4321

KcMizzou
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
FWIW, I voted for GnR too... of course. :D

Barret
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes! I couldn't remember where I'd first heard it, but it stuck with me. Wasn't Faith No More's cover of War Pigs on that same disk?

Yes, it has the live version of Faith No More I believe.

Reaper16
03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
I did not vote for Black Sabbath's "Supernaut," but only because it should be disqualified from the poll. It is not a rock and roll song, and Sabbath is not a rock band.

Saccopoo
03-03-2011, 12:48 AM
What the hell is with all the Guns and Roses songs in these polls?

I'm firmly convinced that Appetite for Destruction is one of the most overrated albums in music history. It sounds incredibly dated and, frankly, kinda lame whenever I listen to it now. Listing "It's So Easy" as one of the greatest songs in rock? Boo.

RockChalk
03-03-2011, 07:09 AM
FAR better than the last Heat. That was pure crap.

This. +1. Whatever else I can say that portrays "I agree with you 100%, good sir"

However, I'd like to introduce a motion to include the Bruce Springsteen greatest song on Planet Earth, "Lost in the Flood" :LOL:

RockChalk
03-03-2011, 07:10 AM
As with most of these artists, there are several Elton John songs I'd vote for ahead of Rocket Man (personally, Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is my favorite),

Madman Across the Water for me :thumb:

MOhillbilly
03-03-2011, 07:54 AM
EJ, Tom petty, Sabbath.

Runnin down a dream flat out rocks.

Omaha
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
I feel like most people have the right idea here. The right 3 appear to be advancing.

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I feel like most people have the right idea here. The right 3 appear to be advancing.

Yep. I would agree.

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
EJ, Tom petty, Sabbath.

Runnin down a dream flat out rocks.

I like a lot of Petty songs, but I think Runnin Down a Dream may be my favorite. I like the guitar.

Jenson71
03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
This was the weakest list because it didn't have a Bob Dylan option.

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Shuttin' Down the Dream. Moving on are

Rocket Man
Running Down a Dream
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Good wisdom of the masses.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
RIP Supernaut. :(