PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What 'High Quality H2O' do you drink?

God of Thunder
03-03-2011, 12:27 AM
What type of water here does everyone drink?? I worked with a company where I performed Oil and Grease Extractions on tap water around different cities and was shocked at how much 'stuff' was in everyday tap water. I got a Moen Filter going on the kitchen sink, and the fridge has some built in filter thing.....

A lot of people recommend the Reverse Osmosis Filters as well, but they seem like they're a lot of money.

Currently, however, OZARKA bottled water is being amazing to me. 100% Natural Spring Water and is has an amazing taste....

It leads the question, what type of water is everyone here drinking?

nstygma
03-03-2011, 12:30 AM
i've got 3 reverse osmosis units hooked up in parallel with deionizing resin and carbon filters.
ppm meter says 7ppm
tap water going in is ~250ppm

Gonzo
03-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Water Sucks! Gatorade is better!

Watter suck, it really really sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

nstygma
03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Water Sucks! Gatorade is better!

Watter suck, it really really sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
brawndo beats them both hands down
plants even love it

Gonzo
03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
brawndo beats them both hands down
plants even love it

It's got Lectro-lites in it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefshrink
03-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Toilet water, baby!!:thumb:

jd1020
03-03-2011, 01:02 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XfPAjUvvnIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guru
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
tap. Bottled water is a joke.

jd1020
03-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Agreed.

The only time I would think about buying bottled water would be if I was leaving the country. In which case, I'd probably just bottle my own fuckin tap water.

kysirsoze
03-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Brita

Silock
03-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Tap. No filter. I live on the fuckin' edge, man.

Stewie
03-03-2011, 06:18 AM
I have a KDF filter. They are much cheaper than reverse osmosis and last 20,000 gallons. A typical filter costs about $30.

KDFs have only been around a few years and people really haven't heard about them. They are gaining traction, though.

keg in kc
03-03-2011, 06:22 AM
BritaYeah, I've got a probably 10 year old 2-gallon brita refrigerator tank thingy with a spout. Works great since I drink about a gallon of water a day, and prefer cold to not.

JohninGpt
03-03-2011, 06:25 AM
It's got Lectro-lites in it!
Posted via Mobile Device

It has what plants crave!

DaKCMan AP
03-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Brita

+1

Saulbadguy
03-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Tap water, got a case of bottled water in the fridge in case I want some water "to go".

Frazod
03-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Aquafina - bottled from the Missouri River! Reminds me of home. I actually prefer to stir in a teaspoon of mud first, so that it looks authentic. Tasty. :BLVD:

Later, if I have to take a dump, I'll drive around until a find a gas station with pay toilets. Why do something for free when you can pay for it?

DaKCMan AP
03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Tap water, got a case of bottled water in the fridge in case I want some water "to go".

http://www.hluizpresents.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/aluminumWaterBottles1.jpg

FTW!

Molitoth
03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Brita filtered tap water, or Nestle bottled water.

seclark
03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
interestingly, i get these along the highways for free.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Aquafina - bottled from the Missouri River! Reminds me of home. I actually prefer to stir in a teaspoon of mud first, so that it looks authentic. Tasty. :BLVD:

Later, if I have to take a dump, I'll drive around until a find a gas station with pay toilets. Why do something for free when you can pay for it?

Since when is water free?

Frazod
03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Since when is water free?

When it rains?

JD10367
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/dont_drink_water_fish_have_sex_in_it_postcard-p239778488980404603qibm_400.jpg

MOhillbilly
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
infinity filter @ work. Tap water @ home.

CHENZ A!
03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Brita pitcher. I drink a lot of water, take my water bottle with me everytime I leave the house. Brita pitcher is a must.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8475/water17103739.jpg

REDHOTGTO
03-03-2011, 08:46 AM
im gonna die!!! i drink from the tap, straight up baby !!!!

Ebolapox
03-03-2011, 08:48 AM
brita pitcher. it's the shiznit.

Fish
03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
What type of water here does everyone drink?? I worked with a company where I performed Oil and Grease Extractions on tap water around different cities and was shocked at how much 'stuff' was in everyday tap water. I got a Moen Filter going on the kitchen sink, and the fridge has some built in filter thing.....

A lot of people recommend the Reverse Osmosis Filters as well, but they seem like they're a lot of money.

Currently, however, OZARKA bottled water is being amazing to me. 100% Natural Spring Water and is has an amazing taste....

It leads the question, what type of water is everyone here drinking?

Could you define the amazing taste? What does it taste like?

gblowfish
03-03-2011, 08:52 AM
My mom lives in Hot Spring, AR. That's where Mountain Valley water comes from. You can go into the National Park, and draw all the pure, clean, natural high quality spring water you want. I throw 8 5-gallon water cooler jugs in the back of my Jeep, fill them and bring them back to KC with me. That's about a six month supply of drinking water. Best water in the world, and its free. One of the few things on this planet that is still free and good for you.

http://www.nps.gov/hosp/index.htm

Ebolapox
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6IdobyzkBio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jenson71
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I have bought a SmartWater once. It was fine. It creates a psychological boost in you: I'm healthy. I'm buying water. I'm going to go to the gym next.

Claynus
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
I filter tap water. Anything else is a waste of money.

Ebolapox
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM

/#WINNING

DaFace
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Yep.

patteeu
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Same. I put it in reused water bottles. I prefer Dasani's bottles because they're more sturdy than some other brands, but I only buy it when my old bottles get lost, crushed or otherwise rendered unusable.

DaKCMan AP
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Same. I put it in reused water bottles. I prefer Dasani's bottles because they're more sturdy than some other brands, but I only buy it when my old bottles get lost, crushed or otherwise rendered unusable.

Instead of reusing plastic bottles, get an aluminum water bottle.

J Diddy
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM

true that. I once bought a case of nestle water for the sole purpose of reusing the bottles. The bottles were like paper.

patteeu
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Instead of reusing plastic bottles, get an aluminum water bottle.

That's not a bad idea.

Buehler445
03-03-2011, 10:01 AM
RO Unit under my sink.

Great Expectations
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
My mom lives in Hot Spring, AR. That's where Mountain Valley water comes from. You can go into the National Park, and draw all the pure, clean, natural high quality spring water you want. I throw 8 5-gallon water cooler jugs in the back of my Jeep, fill them and bring them back to KC with me. That's about a six month supply of drinking water. Best water in the world, and its free. One of the few things on this planet that is still free and good for you.

http://www.nps.gov/hosp/index.htm

That water is really good, I didn't know that non residents could get the water free.

jAZ
03-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I grew up on tap water in KC. It's good. I moved to Arizona and our tap water here is ass. My dad is a tap water snob. He loves KC tap water and just thought bottled water was stupid. Then he started spending time here in Arizona and now he will mostly only drink the bottled water we have here.

We just get the 5 gallon bottles filled up in front of the grocery store. I think it's a glacier machine, but I don't think it matters much.

loochy
03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Tap FTW

Also, Sparkletts cooler at work + reused 1.5L Ozarka bottles FTW!

God of Thunder
03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Could you define the amazing taste? What does it taste like?

Its wierd, and I know you're being sarcastic, but I can easily tell the difference and for me, the Ozarka just tastes way better than anything coming out of my tap.

Fish
03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Its wierd, and I know you're being sarcastic, but I can easily tell the difference and for me, the Ozarka just tastes way better than anything coming out of my tap.

Have you ever attempted a blind taste test? Perhaps you should...

My mother got into the purified water kick for a while, and was spending a fortune on filters and bottled water and everything. So I setup a blind taste test using her tap water and the bottled water she always raved about that tasted so much better. She was very adamant about being able to taste a difference. But she failed the test miserably. To the point that she didn't believe me and made me do it again.

It's a psychological reaction to your preconceived notions. Essentially, it tastes better to you because you expect it to taste better. I know that sounds totally silly, but it's been proven by quite a few studies.

And in many cases, people's water filtration systems do not function the way they think they are. Or their filtration system isn't maintained properly which can result in much worse quality than the tap...

<table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#000080">Carbon Filtration</td></tr><tr><td>

By far the most common treatment, carbon filtration will absorb many organic and inorganic compounds such
as fertilizers, hydrocarbons, and chlorine.
Activated carbon is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and virus. The water leaving a carbon filter can actually have higher concentration levels of bacteria than untreated tap water.
Granulated carbon can develop channels or bypass which results in little or no treatment.
Silver impregnated filters are regulated by the EPA because at high levels, silver is toxic to humans.

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#000080">Water Softeners</td></tr><tr><td>

Hard water has certain levels of calcium and magnesium which has been linked to a decrease in the incidence of heart disease by several studies.
Water softeners treat hard water by exchanging sodium for hardness minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
Softeners increase the sodium content of water.

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#000080">Ultra Violet SYSTEMS (UL)</td></tr><tr><td>

UV lamps are effective at destroying bacteria and virus (depending upon their output) but do nothing
about chlorine.
Lamps are always "on" which warms the water stored inside and UV output begins to diminish after six
months of operation.
Warm water allows for hard water deposits to accumulate on the lamp sleeve which significantly reduces UV output and results in undertreatment. The sleeve must be cleaned with frequency.
Many UV manufacturers use teflon tubing to flow water past the UV source.
Teflon allows only 70% of the UV energy to transmit to the water.

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#000080">Reverse Osmosis</td></tr><tr><td>

Reverse osmosis squeezes water through a very fine membrane which produces water devoid of mineral
content including beneficial calcium and magnesium.
RO systems require chlorine free water before reaching the synthetic membranes. If chlorine comes in contact with the membranes, holes can develop resulting in untreated water.
Low efficiency, for every gallon produced, three to four are rejected down the drain.
Most household RO systems are limited to 2-4 gallons of water per day.
A holding tank is required, which can become contaminated and requires frequent maintenance.
RO equipment is bulky and takes up most of the under counter storage space.
RO treatment leaves water with a flat, bland taste.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

chasedude
03-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I drink tap water.

I smoke, I drink things other than water "wink, wink, nudge nudge" and I don't eat right all the time.

So... worrying what's in my tap water is futile.

Fish
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Penn and Teller's Water Taste Tests....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JdvJOF-2mm0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

chasedude
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Evian is Naive spelled backwards.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Have you ever attempted a blind taste test? Perhaps you should...

My mother got into the purified water kick for a while, and was spending a fortune on filters and bottled water and everything. So I setup a blind taste test using her tap water and the bottled water she always raved about that tasted so much better. She was very adamant about being able to taste a difference. But she failed the test miserably. To the point that she didn't believe me and made me do it again.

It's a psychological reaction to your preconceived notions. Essentially, it tastes better to you because you expect it to taste better. I know that sounds totally silly, but it's been proven by quite a few studies.

And in many cases, people's water filtration systems do not function the way they think they are. Or their filtration system isn't maintained properly which can result in much worse quality than the tap...
i think i can tell the difference

In Overland park there is a significant taste of iron or something in the water.

Bump
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
you won't catch me drinking bottled water, or Blue Gold, as the big oil tycoons would call it.

gblowfish
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
KC (especially Independence, MO) and St. Louis have always had pretty good tap water. In Independence it comes from deep wells that is dug through filtering limestone.
Independence came in 4th nationwide in a contest in 2008:
http://www.berkeleysprings.com/water/awards.htm

Here's a list of the best and worst tap water in USA as of 2009:

http://tinyurl.com/y94ek9p

chasedude
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Some of the best water I remember drinking was from my grandmother's well on the farm. With all the mineral deposits it had such a distinct flavor I've never found elsewhere.

Fish
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
i think i can tell the difference

In Overland park there is a significant taste of iron or something in the water.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but that's exactly what everyone says. "Something" in the water.

You should really invite a couple friends over and try it out...

kysirsoze
03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Some places do really benefit from a filter. My old apartment had old pipes and the water smelled like a swimming pool. It even fizzed for God's sake. (Not the air in the pipes way, but an audible fizz) My current place is a little better but still pretty bad. Nothing a filter can't fix, though. Bottled is a waste of time and money.

Bump
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
bottled water isn't even regulated, they could put whatever the hell they want in there.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but that's exactly what everyone says. "Something" in the water.

You should really invite a couple friends over and try it out...
i hear ya

but tbh there really is a 'tang' aftertaste from the tap. We have a refrigerator with a filter and it taste really different imo.

maybe it the cold from the frig that helps :shrug:

Over-Head
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Forget this froo froo blue springs ozmosis bullshit liquid in a plastic jug.
Just turn on the tap, fill the glass, add a slice of lemon.
As long as I ain't in Mexico, keep er coming.

****12 years as a long haul trucker....I've eaten and drank shit that would make a billy goat puke in some truck stops.

Stewie
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Activated carbon is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and virus. The water leaving a carbon filter can actually have higher concentration levels of bacteria than untreated tap water.

That's why the aforementioned KDF filter is a great improvement. They last for thousands of gallons and last for years. The KDF media doesn't allow that breeding ground to happen. A $30 filter that filters 20K gallons is a pretty cheap investment

Bump
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Forget this froo froo blue springs ozmosis bullshit liquid in a plastic jug.
Just turn on the tap, fill the glass, add a slice of lemon.
As long as I ain't in Mexico, keep er coming.

****12 years as a long haul trucker....I've eaten and drank shit that would make a billy goat puke in some truck stops.

whatever, truck stop food is the best

Fish
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
bottled water isn't even regulated, they could put whatever the hell they want in there.

This is absolutely true. It's 100% legal for a company such as Fiji Water to fill up their plastic bottles from the sink in the employee bathroom, and seal it up and sell it as delicious "pure" water. They could do so with an FDA regulator standing beside them, and it would not violate any regulations at all.

The EPA guidelines for municipal water are stricter than the FDA restrictions for bottled drinking water.

Over-Head
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
whatever, truck stop food is the best
Your full of shit and down a quart sir.
Eat it nearly 3 times a day for 12 years then come back and we'll talk

jd1020
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM

That sucks, our truck stop right outside of town has a Diner in it.

Bump
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM

you can say that about any food if you eat it too much. Truck stop breakfast buffet's ROCK!