PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Christie: I love collective bargaining

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0311/Christie_praises_collective_bargaining.html?showall

Christie said at a town hall meeting in Hillsborough that New Jersey is very different from Wisconsin, where a debate rages over whether that state's Republican governor is trying to break unions by getting rid of collective bargaining. Christie said he has never suggested that collective bargaining rights be taken away.

Just the opposite, said Christie, a darling of the Republican Party.

"In fact, I love collective bargaining," Christie told the crowd Wednesday, packed into a room in the municipal building. "I've said let's get rid of civil service and let everything be collectively bargained, as long as collective bargaining is fair, tough, adversarial and there's someone in that room representing you."

chiefsnorth
03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I think there needs to be a union for people who pay more into the system than they suck out. Between drainers and government employees, our voices are not being heard.

headsnap
03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
"I've said let's get rid of civil service and let everything be collectively bargained, as long as collective bargaining is fair, tough, adversarial and there's someone in that room representing you."
Gov. Christie is smarter than Dirk...

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Gov. Christie is smarter than Dirk...

That doesn't take much

But I agree with what he is saying don't you?

mnchiefsguy
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I would agree with what Christie is saying, except that an overwhelming percentage of the time, there is no room in the room representing you, and it is not fair, tough, and adversarial. What Christie describes is a best case scenario, and rarely occurs.

headsnap
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
But I agree with what he is saying don't you?
I had no idea that you were on the side of Governor Walker and the Republicans. Cool...

dirk digler
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I had no idea that you were on the side of Governor Walker and the Republicans. Cool...

I am not on their side if it includes getting rid of collective bargaining which is what Gov Walker is doing.

The fact is Christie "loves collective bargaining" and doesn't think it should be done away with.

Basically he is not a scared to deal with them like Walker is.

Though Christie’s relationship with state unions — especially the New Jersey Education Association — has in the past been icy, the governor indicated Wednesday that he is ready to work with them.

“Let me at them,” he said, The Associated Press reported (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHRISTIE_UNIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-03-02-16-41). “Get me out of the cage and let me go.” A Christie spokesman said his administration has reached out to all the state’s major unions to schedule initial meetings with them.

If anything, Christie said, he’d like to see collective bargaining become a bigger part of how the state negotiates pay and benefits for its employees