PDA

View Full Version : Religion Mormons worse than Catholics?

Count Alex's Losses
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd say they just made my religion shit list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6175090

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

BYU's honor code forbids students from having premarital sex and instructs them to "live a chaste and virtuous life."

The newspaper reported that Davies met with school officials on Monday.
BYU officials would only confirm Wednesday that Davies wasn't involved in anything criminal that resulted in his dismissal from the team.

University spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said an honor code review is under way to determine if the BYU sophomore will be allowed to remain in school, as well as his status with the team next season.

BYU's honor code also requires students to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly.

The school announced the dismissal on Tuesday night after being made aware of the violation Monday -- the same day that BYU (27-2, 13-1 Mountain West) vaulted to No. 3 in the ESPN/USA Today and AP polls.

In their first game without Davies on Wednesday, the Cougars lost 82-64 to New Mexico. BYU guard Jimmer Fredette said after the game Davies had apologized to his teammates.

"He told us he was sorry and let us down," Fredette said. "We told him it's OK. Sometimes in life we make mistakes. We've got to play through it."

Davies had started 26 of 29 games and averaged 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds.

The sophomore was a key member of BYU's frontcourt and was instrumental in helping contain San Diego State's forwards in the Cougars' 80-67 victory over the Aztecs.
No one discussed details of what occurred with Davies after the game but BYU coach Dave Rose discussed the school's controversial honor code.

"Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they're an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come," Rose said of the school's honor code. "A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it's a commitment they make. It's not about right or wrong. It's about commitment."

Davies was one of Fredette's favorite targets in the post, ran the floor well and gave the Cougars length and size inside.

Jenson71
03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
That's a legitimate move. But if he shows a sincere regret and apology, I wonder if it would be the Christian thing to let him come back on the team next year?

chiefsnorth
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Turner Gill approves of this.

Count Alex's Losses
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I want to know how this shit even goes down.

Unless they had sex in the fucking locker room how did anyone find out?

Did coach find some condoms in his bag or something and start an investigation? Was Davies late to practice or something, and said sorry, I was balls deep in my bitch? Did someone snitch?

HOW DID THE COACH FIND OUT ABOUT HIS PLAYER FUCKING?

Predarat
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
It could have been an opponet, or he might have stole someone elses gal so they turned him in.

Ebolapox
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
maybe he 'kobe'd' her and she complained.

Stewie
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I grew up with a Mormon family that lived next door. Not the cheesy Independence, MO RLDS wannabes.

The family didn't even drink Cokes. It was a stimulant and forbidden. They never proselytized, ever.

To scorn them is ridiculous. Yes, they have their rules and they're out there in the open. You screw up... you pay the consequences.

The kids that grew up next door are now very successful. My friend Sam has been voted "Super Attorney" eight years in a row in Missouri. Not bad for a "dipshit"... according to mainstream media's message, "Fuck 'em when you got 'em."

He moved out of his Momma's basement at 18 and never looked back. (Actually, he would never have lived in his parent's basement. That's the lowest of the low.)

LiveSteam
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Turner Gill approves of this.

ROFL

BucEyedPea
03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow! Such concerns remind me of little old lady gossips that have nothing important to do in life but peer in the windows of certain folk they don't like. Or whose values they don't like.

Iowanian
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Loose Lips Sink championSHIPS

and make great shadow puppets

chiefsnorth
03-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Give em a break, they are still fresh off that "equality for black people" revelation in 1978.

blaise
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
He knew the rules. From everything I've heard they're explained in detail to the students, and he's from the area. One report I heard said he practically lived across the street from the school. He knew exactly what the deal was.

thecoffeeguy
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I was born in Salt Lake City and grew up there for a good portion of my life. Went to University of Utah for a few years then got out. :) I was never mormon (thank you mom and dad!) but man, 75% of my family is, with a few cousins going on missions. Its good times when me and my brothers go back to visit family back there. Nothing like walking into a mormon house with a case of beer and bottle of Jack Daniels. :)

There are some good things and bad things about mormons.

It was tough as hell to be able to date girls. The problem was, I was not mormon or, they were waiting for their boyfriend who was on a mission for 2 years.

Different place, that is for sure.

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Turner Gill approves of this./Thread.

Pitt Gorilla
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
He knew the rules. From everything I've heard they're explained in detail to the students, and he's from the area. One report I heard said he practically lived across the street from the school. He knew exactly what the deal was.I can't imagine anyone wanting to play for BYU. I mean, college is when you have lots of sex.

chiefzilla1501
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I know a few mormons and I have to hand it to them, at least they practice what they preach. Different from Catholic, which I am, who preach but then go off and do some other bullshit.

This guy knew what he was signing up for when he went to BYU. I don't see a problem with it. It's a reason I wouldn't be mormon, but based on the mormons I know, there are a few that are overly self-righteous, but the majority of them are the absolute nicest people you'll ever meet.

mnchiefsguy
03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I agree with cheifzilla. BYU is up front about their rules for attending, and this player knew the rules and knowingly broke them. He should be held responsible for his actions. He could have easily went to another school if having a gf was going to be a problem.

ROYC75
03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree with cheifzilla. BYU is up front about their rules for attending, and this player knew the rules and knowingly broke them. He should be held responsible for his actions. He could have easily went to another school if having a gf was going to be a problem.

Bingo
Bango
Bongo

End of discussion.

alpha_omega
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd say they just made my religion shit list.

We know...your just jealous 'cause this guy is gettin' some action.

FishingRod
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I think their code too strict and outdated. I would not have gone to their school. On the other hand, no one has to go to their school. No one put a gun to anyone’s head to make them agree to their code of conduct. If you don’t like it, don’t go there. I respect them walking the walk and putting this above winning. Too few people have any code of conduct these days.

healthpellets
03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
He knew the rules. From everything I've heard they're explained in detail to the students, and he's from the area. One report I heard said he practically lived across the street from the school. He knew exactly what the deal was.

f*ck. that.

he's a 17 y/o kid, man.

i mean really.

curious when they're gonna start kicking kids out for drinking coffee, cause that's in the stupid ass honor code as well.

but no, this is about sex. it's all about sex. somehow, sex is worse than coffee, but it's all in the Code.

blaise
03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
f*ck. that.

he's a 17 y/o kid, man.

i mean really.

curious when they're gonna start kicking kids out for drinking coffee, cause that's in the stupid ass honor code as well.

but no, this is about sex. it's all about sex. somehow, sex is worse than coffee, but it's all in the Code.

A code he knew about, and a code that hundreds of other schools don't have where he easily could have gone.
If he went there and broke it then he's the dumbass for not going to any number of different schools.

healthpellets
03-05-2011, 09:23 AM
A code he knew about, and a code that hundreds of other schools don't have where he easily could have gone.
If he went there and broke it then he's the dumbass for not going to any number of different schools.

coffee and sex and are equal. think about that. and then think about how kids aren't getting kicked out of school for drinking coffee.

then tell me that it's a legit "honor code".

it's college, man. everything that does down at KU or Mizzou goes down at BYU.

DJJasonp
03-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I think their code too strict and outdated. I would not have gone to their school. On the other hand, no one has to go to their school. No one put a gun to anyoneís head to make them agree to their code of conduct. If you donít like it, donít go there. I respect them walking the walk and putting this above winning. Too few people have any code of conduct these days.

THIS!

By the way....the player ratted himself out to an elder (who in turn, had to report the incident).

I'm sure the player had multiple offers from multiple colleges. If he had a problem with the code, he should have accepted a scholarship from another school.

JimBaker488
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I was born in Salt Lake City and grew up there for a good portion of my life. Went to University of Utah for a few years then got out. :) I was never mormon (thank you mom and dad!) but man, 75% of my family is, with a few cousins going on missions. Its good times when me and my brothers go back to visit family back there. Nothing like walking into a mormon house with a case of beer and bottle of Jack Daniels. :)

There are some good things and bad things about mormons.

It was tough as hell to be able to date girls. The problem was, I was not mormon or, they were waiting for their boyfriend who was on a mission for 2 years.

Different place, that is for sure.
Here's something. No matter the rep of Utah and how it's thought to be very prudish and square, I've traveled there quite a bit and have found it easier to buy beer in that state than in many areas of Texas which has something called a "local option" which lets voting districts determine their
own regulations for alcohol consumption. As a native Missourian, don't remember anything like that up there ?

mikey23545
03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
So far I see a few intelligent posts in this thread and some others by a bunch of intolerant, prejudiced religious bigots.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2011, 10:43 AM
So far I see a few intelligent posts in this thread and some others by a bunch of intolerant, prejudiced religious bigots.

Kind of reminds me of 95% of the threads in this place, except replacing Mormon with Muslim.

vailpass
03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
This should do wonders for their recruiting.

mikey23545
03-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Kind of reminds me of 95% of the threads in this place, except replacing Mormon with Muslim.

Really?

I can't remember the last time Mormons strapped bombs to themselves, issued a fatwa or flew a plane into a skyscraper, but I guess it's kinda the same.

Guru
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Rules are rules. Break them and pay the price.

BucEyedPea
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Really?

I can't remember the last time Mormons strapped bombs to themselves, issued a fatwa or flew a plane into a skyscraper, but I guess it's kinda the same.

How many Muslims strap bombs to themselves out of millions? Yet, their religion is mocked in general.
Oh and their terrorism is political and wrapped in religious rhetoric but it's more political.

mnchiefsguy
03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
How many Muslims strap bombs to themselves out of millions? Yet, their religion is mocked in general.
Oh and their terrorism is political and wrapped in religious rhetoric but it's more political.

So Muslims can't be held responsible for any of the bombs, but Christians are held accountable and ridiculed for anything anyone claiming to be a Christian says or does. Got it.

go bowe
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
So Muslims can't be held responsible for any of the bombs, but Christians are held accountable and ridiculed for anything anyone claiming to be a Christian says or does. Got it.welcome to planet bep...

blaise
03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
coffee and sex and are equal. think about that. and then think about how kids aren't getting kicked out of school for drinking coffee.

then tell me that it's a legit "honor code".

it's college, man. everything that does down at KU or Mizzou goes down at BYU.

Then he should have gone to KU or Mizzou.

BucEyedPea
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
So Muslims can't be held responsible for any of the bombs, but Christians are held accountable and ridiculed for anything anyone claiming to be a Christian says or does. Got it.

Please show me where I said that or said it in the past, idiot. I've defended Christians in the past. Nice logical fallacy you relied on because you couldn't refute the argument.