PDA

View Full Version : Football 24-Hour Extension For NFL Labor Negotiations

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
24-Hour Extension For NFL, NFLPA In CBA Negotiations
by Joel Thorman on Mar 3, 2011 2:41 PM PST
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

As we waited all day preparing for the worst possible news, we have received news that's not so bad.

The NFL owners and NFL Players Association have agreed to a 24-hour extension in their negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The current CBA was previously expiring at midnight tonight.

Assuming this meets the approval of Judge David Doty, everything will be pushed back another day. Think of today like Wednesday instead of Thursday. That's basically where we're at.

Is this good news? Bad news? What does it mean?

We don't know the answer to any of those questions. As we have been, we're just...waiting. This thing will move into tomorrow and hopefully we hear the two sides have A.) struck a deal or B.) extended things again.

Detoxing
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
B

Sofa King
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Rams Fan
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
R?

KCChiefsFan88
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Wake me in August when this is resolved.

Over-Head
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
gonna lose some weight and hope for open tryouts to the Oakland (scab) Raiders :thumb::thumb:

DeezNutz
03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Players read how many sub 4.5s have been run by Planeteers and rushed back to the table.

KurtCobain
03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Players read how many sub 4.5s have been run by Planeteers and rushed back to the table.

Their jobs were truly in jeopardy.

3rd&48ers
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Both sides can kiss my ass

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
RavensInsider Aaron Wilson
Source with knowledge of the talks between NFL, NFLPA: 'They're still miles apart.'

KurtCobain
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I hope Aaron Wilson is a retarded SOB.

Over-Head
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Players read how many sub 4.5s have been run by Planeteers and rushed back to the table.:LOL:ROFL

Okie_Apparition
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Jerruh got his mortgage payment notice and panicked. It will return to armagedden again.

bevischief
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM

this.

Chief Chief
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
This thing will move into tomorrow and hopefully we hear the two sides have A.) struck a deal or B.) extended things again.

Or: C.) Failed to agree on a deal or an extension, resulting in all hell breaking loose!

WV
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

:thumb:

Rain Man
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Is it wrong that I really don't care? I should care. I love the Chiefs. I've been following them for 40 years. But for some reason I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing. If they play, great. If they don't play, I'll go for long jogs and pursue another hobby for three hours on Sunday. Big ol' fat meh.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Is it wrong that I really don't care? I should care. I love the Chiefs. I've been following them for 40 years. But for some reason I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing. If they play, great. If they don't play, I'll go for long jogs and pursue another hobby for three hours on Sunday. Big ol' fat meh.

might teach them a lesson if that happened

KurtCobain
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM

What? I'll be really sad if the Chiefs don't play. It's a huge deal to me, I really look forward to them. My buddy is gonna start collectin people in his basement if there's no NFL.

DaFace
03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Strangely, I kind of agree. I'd certainly have more time to ski in the fall. :D

bevischief
03-03-2011, 06:33 PM

It will cause less traffic to CP.

Bearcat
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hilarious... you could copy and paste these articles from the NHL lockout.... and people really thought it would be resolved by now. LMAO

-King-
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM

I care...A LOT. Football has a big impact on my life. Life is so boring without it.

bevischief
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
So who bought the pizza and beer?

WoodDraw
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
The owners really need to keep them from decertifying. I admittedly don't know much about the NFL labor laws, but I don't see how that wins for the NFL, unless they're assuming they can simply outlast most players that lose their money.

Once the NFL loses antitrust, they're going to lose every case brought against them. It's a pure monopoly, kept alive by both sides raking in money and enjoying it.

Chocolate Hog
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
24hr extension could well be the precursor to a 7-day extension. Much more to come
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

alnorth
03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I was initially on the side of the owners, but today I finally cared enough to see what they were arguing about. I expected it to be a huge gulf where the sides were far apart on how the money should be split, but thats not really it at all. I'm not on the player's side now, but I now support neither side.

The owners currently get the first billion and 40% of everything else. They now want the first 2 billion and 40% of everything else. So, they are basically asking for the players to give up another 600 million. Thats a lot to give up and worth locking out over, right?

Well, given that the NFL made 9.6 billion last season, that 600 million split 32 different ways isn't much. Last season, by that formula they got about 46% of the revenue. They now want about 52% of the revenue. Is that 6% worth potentially giving up 400 million per week that is lost? Really? Shouldn't they just split it in half and call it a day?

Now, if the players are pushing hardcore for an end to the salary cap then I'm with the owners, lock them out. However, we aren't hearing that, we're hearing that its about this extra 600 million. If thats all it is and the rest are minor details then it doesn't seem to me that the two sides are all that far apart.

KingPriest2
03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Brent Boyd
NFL CBA TALKS GET A 24 HOUR EXTENSION.AS SUPER AGENT Leigh Steinberg HAS BEEN WRITING for days, the deadline was arbitrary anyway, they can extend it as far out as they wish...in other words, nobody panic, don't wanna see guys in other men's jerseys jumping out of skyscrapers ]...does your man fantasize about YOU or the man who fills the REAL jersey?)

tk13
03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I was initially on the side of the owners, but today I finally cared enough to see what they were arguing about. I expected it to be a huge gulf where the sides were far apart on how the money should be split, but thats not really it at all. I'm not on the player's side now, but I now support neither side.

The owners currently get the first billion and 40% of everything else. They now want the first 2 billion and 40% of everything else. So, they are basically asking for the players to give up another 600 million. Thats a lot to give up and worth locking out over, right?

Well, given that the NFL made 9.6 billion last season, that 600 million split 32 different ways isn't much. Last season, by that formula they got about 46% of the revenue. They now want about 52% of the revenue. Is that 6% worth potentially giving up 400 million per week that is lost? Really? Shouldn't they just split it in half and call it a day?

Now, if the players are pushing hardcore for an end to the salary cap then I'm with the owners, lock them out. However, we aren't hearing that, we're hearing that its about this extra 600 million. If thats all it is and the rest are minor details then it doesn't seem to me that the two sides are all that far apart.

Yeah, but I think this will be interesting to watch play out because this is the most successful sports league. And the players don't seem to want to give an inch because they don't believe the owners are hurting. It's not like other sports where the system was obviously out of whack.

KurtCobain
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
@MattScriber

The the players accepted the offer! NFL in 2011!

Rams Fan
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
@MattScriber

Yes!

milkman
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
@MattScriber

I suspect that you've misunderstood something.

Chocolate Hog
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Huh?

KC Tattoo
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Who cares about the fans/players & owners.

TrebMaxx
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110304/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_nfl_labor

NFL, players agree to 7-day extension on CBA
By BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner, Ap Pro Football Writer 14 mins ago

WASHINGTON – That reprieve in NFL labor negotiations will last another week. The league and the players' union agreed Friday on a seven-day extension of the collective bargaining agreement. The CBA was set to run out on Thursday before a 24-hour extension was granted.

Federal mediator George Cohen announced the new agreement. Talks will resume Monday.

"We are continuing to work hard, to identify solutions," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We believe that, as I've said many times before, that this will be solved through negotiations and that's what we're focused on."

"We'll continue to work hard, and we'll be back next week."

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith also planned to speak to the media.

Both sides met for the 11th day with Cohen before settling on a plan to keep talking. If the CBA expires the owners could lock out the players, and the union could decertify to try and prevent that through the courts — something the NFLPA did in 1989.

"Talking is better than litigating," Goodell said.

For the moment, it at least staves off the NFL's first work stoppage since the 1987 players' strike. It certainly indicates neither the owners nor the players are ready to make a bold move to shut down a league that rakes in $9 billion a year.

But the extension doesn't mean the sides have gotten close on the key issues:

• How to divide the league's revenues, including what cut team owners should get up front to help cover certain costs, such as stadium construction. Under the old deal, owners received about $1 billion off the top. They entered these negotiations seeking to add another $1 billion to that.

• A rookie wage scale, and how much of the money saved by the owners under such a system would go to veteran players.

• The owners' push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games. The players oppose that idea, citing health factors, especially the number of injuries already sustained during a 16-game regular season.

• Benefits for retired players.

-King-
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
@MattScriber

:LOL::LOL: They accepted the offer to extend the deadline.

bogey
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM

If there's no football, that means I'll have more "family" time. I don't need more "family" time! I have enough "family" time. I want "me" time. It has taken me 13 years to convince my family that 3 hours of football is good for "me!" Please don't take away "me" time.