PDA

View Full Version : Misc Neighbor Cat to the Vet

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I have several kitties, one of my favorites is Neighbor Cat. My house is in an older neighborhood, and there's a lot of rental houses in the vicinity. Neighbor Cat came to us about five or six years ago. He used to just come by and visit with my other kitties, and hang out on the back porch. We just called him Neighbor Cat or Nabes for short. One winter, his family moved away and abandoned him. One night he wound up on my porch in the middle of an ice storm, was caked in about a 1/4" of ice on his fur, and was shivering. We brought him in, thawed him out, and he's been one of our kitties ever since.

This morning I was shaving and Nabes came in the bathroom. He jumped in the bathtub, which he never does, and squatted like he was in the catbox, and peed blood. It was not pretty. I rushed him to the vet this AM. Our vet Dr. Matt - a really good guy and a K-State grad- said he had a bad bladder infection, nothing life threatening. Cleaned up Nabes, gave him a shot and sent him back home. We need to watch him for a few days.

Nabes meowed just a couple times during the whole affair. He was licking my fingers through the screen in the cat carrier on the way to the vet and on the way home. He really trusts me, he's my cat buddy, and I hope he's feeling better in a few days. Pic of Nabes when we first got him is attached.

My wife and I sure do love our kitties. Be kind to your pets. They count on you.

MOhillbilly
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
blahhhhhhhhhh! cat pee in the tub!!!!!!!!!!11 blaaaaeeefcchchhc!!!

seclark
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
blahhhhhhhhhh! cat pee in the tub!!!!!!!!!!11 blaaaaeeefcchchhc!!!

yeah, bloody too. pretty nasty to think about.
good luck w/your cat george.
sec

Dante84
03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a british string of curse words:

"Oh, bloody cat piss! I spilled my tea all over my crumpets!"

Cave Johnson
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I hear antifreeze is an excellent way to treat bladder infections. ;)

Saulbadguy
03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Animals will do weird things when they are ready to die, or in pain.

Rain Man
03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Get well soon, Nabes.

SNR
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Curious, what do you feed your cat? My folks had a bloody diarrhea episode with their Maine Coon kitty a few years ago. The vet couldn't figure it out and did exploratory surgery... nothing came up, couldn't find any problems.

My dad decided to switch her food to something more natural and with less gluten and wheat. That cleared the problem right up. Today she's still a happy and healthy kitty. She hasn't had a single bout of diarrhea or digestive problems in 4 years.

Hydrae
03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Nabes looks like a smartass cat. Sometimes those can be the best though, fun personalities!

Here is to hoping he feels better real soon! :toast:

DeezNutz
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Cheers to pets; they're good people.

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Curious, what do you feed your cat? My folks had a bloody diarrhea episode with their Maine Coon kitty a few years ago. The vet couldn't figure it out and did exploratory surgery... nothing came up, couldn't find any problems.

My dad decided to switch her food to something more natural and with less gluten and wheat. That cleared the problem right up. Today she's still a happy and healthy kitty. She hasn't had a single bout of diarrhea or digestive problems in 4 years.

We feed all the kitties 1/3rd to 1/2 can of Friskies wet food (we switch it up on the flavors) twice a day, morning and night, and they have access to Friskies dry food all day (we switch that up too) and fresh water every day.

We have a kitty named Cousin Cat (who looks a lot like Neighbor Cat, hence the name) and sometimes he over eats and get the runs. We have to feed him separately and keep him away from the other kitties food.

Nabes has been pretty healthy, this is the first time we've had to take him to the vet in a long time.

Saulbadguy
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
We feed all the kitties 1/3rd to 1/2 can of Friskies wet food (we switch it up on the flavors) twice a day, morning and night, and they have access to Friskies dry food all day (we switch that up too) and fresh water every day.

We have a kitty named Cousin Cat (who looks a lot like Neighbor Cat, hence the name) and sometimes he over eats and get the runs. We have to feed him separately and keep him away from the other kitties food.

Nabes has been pretty healthy, this is the first time we've had to take him to the vet in a long time.

Wow, I thought you liked cats. Why would you feed them that garbage?

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Nabes looks like a smartass cat. Sometimes those can be the best though, fun personalities!

Here is to hoping he feels better real soon! :toast:

Nabes likes to run little kitty wind sprints through the house. We call it "The Big Urge."

He'll be just sitting in the living room, then all of the sudden, he'll TAKE OFF for the back bedroom. He'll zip back and forth like that three or four times, then he's done.

He also likes to make "kitty biscuits." That's where they jump on you and knead your belly with their front paws. I have to put a quilt or blanket across my lap because his claws are really sharp, and sometimes he gets carried away.

He also does "Happy Cat." Happy Cat is where the kitty lays at your feet, then rolls around back and forth on their back, showing you their belly.
That means they really trust you and love you. Nabes is just a really good little kitty. We're very fond of him.

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Friskies is made by Purina. My kitties have been fine eating Friskies for years. There's more expensive feeds out there, but our kitties have done fine with Purina.

Lzen
03-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Special Kitty.

Dante84
03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
There's something unsettling about a grown man saying "kitty" 30 times in an hour.

That being said, I still like me some gblow.

CHENZ A!
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Smart cat to let you know without making a mess. He's a good boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I know. I've been a bit verklempt today about Nabes. My dad died about six weeks ago, and I'm holding the things I love a little closer to me now.

alanm
03-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I hope he starts feeling better this afternoon and gets well in the coming days George. :thumb:
I wasn't a cat person either until 2 strays adopted us.
They get along well with the dogs too.

WV
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
There's something unsettling about a grown man saying "kitty" 30 times in an hour.

That being said, I still like me some gblow.

Struck me a little funny too, but I suppose he loves his pussy!

Phobia
03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I hope he starts feeling better this afternoon and gets well in the coming days George. :thumb:
I wasn't a cat person either until 2 strays adopted us.
They get along well with the dogs too.

Wuh? Here I always though you were a billy-badass.

Demonpenz
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
that is a sweet cat for being free.

alanm
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Wuh? Here I always though you were a billy-badass.I'm slowing down as I get older Phil. ;)

bowener
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm glad your cat will be alright!

Side note, I couldn't help but be reminded of this cartoon:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6M17aG_Po2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gblowfish
03-04-2011, 02:11 PM
That's really sick and really funny.
I'm sure Nabes felt just like that this AM....

chasedude
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I grew up on a farm so pets were part of life here.

I love animals, they don't talk back.

Get Well Nabes!

MadMax
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I have several kitties, one of my favorites is Neighbor Cat. My house is in an older neighborhood, and there's a lot of rental houses in the vicinity. Neighbor Cat came to us about five or six years ago. He used to just come by and visit with my other kitties, and hang out on the back porch. We just called him Neighbor Cat or Nabes for short. One winter, his family moved away and abandoned him. One night he wound up on my porch in the middle of an ice storm, was caked in about a 1/4" of ice on his fur, and was shivering. We brought him in, thawed him out, and he's been one of our kitties ever since.

This morning I was shaving and Nabes came in the bathroom. He jumped in the bathtub, which he never does, and squatted like he was in the catbox, and peed blood. It was not pretty. I rushed him to the vet this AM. Our vet Dr. Matt - a really good guy and a K-State grad- said he had a bad bladder infection, nothing life threatening. Cleaned up Nabes, gave him a shot and sent him back home. We need to watch him for a few days.

Nabes meowed just a couple times during the whole affair. He was licking my fingers through the screen in the cat carrier on the way to the vet and on the way home. He really trusts me, he's my cat buddy, and I hope he's feeling better in a few days. Pic of Nabes when we first got him is attached.

My wife and I sure do love our kitties. Be kind to your pets. They count on you.

I love mine also my friend, I hope he has a speedy recovery. The love they show you is just precious. :)

bevischief
03-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Sounds like a british string of curse words:

"Oh, bloody cat piss! I spilled my tea all over my crumpets!"

LMAO

mikey23545
03-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Nabes likes to run little kitty wind sprints through the house. We call it "The Big Urge."

He'll be just sitting in the living room, then all of the sudden, he'll TAKE OFF for the back bedroom. He'll zip back and forth like that three or four times, then he's done.

He also likes to make "kitty biscuits." That's where they jump on you and knead your belly with their front paws. I have to put a quilt or blanket across my lap because his claws are really sharp, and sometimes he gets carried away.

He also does "Happy Cat." Happy Cat is where the kitty lays at your feet, then rolls around back and forth on their back, showing you their belly.
That means they really trust you and love you. Nabes is just a really good little kitty. We're very fond of him.

I think I've solved the mystery of where my cat Layla runs off to for a couple of days at a time.

gblowfish
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Just wanted you guys to know that Nabes is doing much better. The shot and pills did the trick, although he's really a hard one to give pills to. We hide them in little cheese balls, and he eats the cheese and spits out the pill.

But he's had no signs of any bleeding, and seems to be his old self again. Just shot this pic of him a couple days ago lounging around.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Nabes and I appreciate it.

JASONSAUTO
03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Just wanted you guys to know that Nabes is doing much better. The shot and pills did the trick, although he's really a hard one to give pills to. We hide them in little cheese balls, and he eats the cheese and spits out the pill.

But he's had no signs of any bleeding, and seems to be his old self again. Just shot this pic of him a couple days ago lounging around.

good to hear:thumb:

not a cat person myself but can respect the love people have for their pets.

Slainte
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
That's a really cool story. Please ask Mr. Nabes to stop stealing babies breath, if you don't mind...

BigMeatballDave
03-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm not an animal person.

I dont hate them, I just dont want to own any.

I like other peoples pets.

KurtCobain
03-20-2011, 01:31 PM
My Guard Kitty died a few weeks ago. Very saddening.

alnorth
03-20-2011, 01:38 PM

I usually took a small bowl and one of those screwdrivers where the other rounded end looks like something that can grind a pill easy. Basically like a little mortar and pestle.

The pill dust gets mixed with wet cat food, and he snarfs it up. Done, no hassle or bitten fingers.

gblowfish
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I usually took a small bowl and one of those screwdrivers where the other rounded end looks like something that can grind a pill easy. Basically like a little mortar and pestle.

The pill dust gets mixed with wet cat food, and he snarfs it up. Done, no hassle or bitten fingers.

That's a great idea. I'll have to try that next time.

TrebMaxx
03-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Good to hear!

Mr. Laz
03-20-2011, 02:56 PM
although he's really a hard one to give pills to. We hide them in little cheese balls, and he eats the cheese and spits out the pill.
How To Give Your Cat A Pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door on neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot,drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air

RNR
03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
that is a sweet cat for being free.

No such thing as a free cat. I was helping my son move while going out to load the truck we found a tiny kitty shaking looking half dead. It was last winter and it was cold. He told me some lady and her kids had just moved and it was most likely from her house. He shook for most of the two hour trip back home because of this I named him after a username from here (Shakes the cat). It took some trips to the vet and some nursing but he came around nicely. I have spent over $400 on him already and am taking him to get clipped next week. I dang sure cannot afford another "free cat"~

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
How To Give Your Cat A Pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door on neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot,drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air

LMAO

Rain Man
03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
My Guard Kitty died a few weeks ago. Very saddening.

Sorry to hear. Cats should really be immortal.

Glad to hear Nabes is doing better.

alnorth
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear. Cats should really be immortal.

Glad to hear Nabes is doing better.

Cats really are terrific pets. Unlike dogs which suffer from eternal ADD and a constant need for attention, you cant take a cat's affection for granted. If they don't feel like it, then they don't feel like it. They have their own moods and sometimes they don't want anything to do with any of those noisy hairless apes.

Sometimes though, they open up and show grudging affection, and thats pretty cool.

cdcox
03-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Cats really are terrific pets. Unlike dogs which suffer from eternal ADD and a constant need for attention, you cant take a cat's affection for granted. If they don't feel like it, then they don't feel like it. They have their own moods and sometimes they don't want anything to do with any of those noisy hairless apes.

Sometimes though, they open up and show grudging affection, and thats pretty cool.

We have a cat that is extremely affectionate. He is always sitting on someone's lap, sleeps in our bed, when you walk in the kitchen he's under your feet rubbing against you. He rolls over on his back so I can rub his chest and belly every morning. He just can't get enough of people.

Glad to hear that your cat is doing better, George.