PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Is Talk Radio Fixed? Clear Channel uses actors as caller?

jAZ
03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Holy crap!

Premier Radio Networks (owned by Clear Channel) includes Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome, Ryan Seacrest, Glenn Beck, George Noory, and Sean Hannity. They have 5000 stations and almost 200,000,000 combined listeners.

So is the "smack off" fake (not entirely *shocking* thinking about it)? Are the callers to Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity scripted propaganda? Worst off all, maybe the callers to Coast-to-Coast might not actually be crazy?

http://www.cjr.org/the_kicker/premiere_plants.php

The Kicker — February 14, 2011 12:35 PM
Premiere Plants
By Liz Cox Barrett

Well, here’s a shocker: Some of the people who phone in to talk radio shows (that caller with the pitch-perfect rant, provocative comment or burning question) may actually be hired actors reading from scripts. I’m not an angry listener, but I play one on radio!

Via Tablet Magazine:

If [the actor] passed the audition, he would be invited periodically to call in to various talk shows and recite various scenarios that made for interesting radio. He would never be identified as an actor, and his scenarios would never be identified as fabricated—which they always were.

“I was surprised that it seemed so open,” the actor told me in an interview. “There was really no pretense of covering it up.”

Curious, the actor did some snooping and learned that Premiere On Call was a service offered by Premiere Radio Networks, the largest syndication company in the United States and a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications, the entertainment and advertising giant. Premiere syndicates some of the more sterling names in radio, including Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity. But a great radio show depends as much on great callers as it does on great hosts: Enter Premiere On Call.

“Premiere On Call is our new custom caller service,” read the service’s website, which disappeared as this story was being reported (for a cached version of the site click here). “We supply voice talent to take/make your on-air calls, improvise your scenes or deliver your scripts. Using our simple online booking tool, specify the kind of voice you need, and we’ll get your the right person fast. Unless you request it, you won’t hear that same voice again for at least two months, ensuring the authenticity of your programming for avid listeners.”

Ensuring the authenticity of your programming… with paid, planted callers.

I have a call in to Premiere On Call, asking which of Premiere’s many radio programs have used the “custom caller service.” I’ll update if I hear back.

alnorth
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
D.C. in 3.... 2.....

Bwana
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Douche bag, keep this shit in the DC.

jAZ
03-05-2011, 11:58 AM
This isn't political...

Discuss Thrower
03-05-2011, 12:00 PM
It's still sports related if calls are astroturfed for Jim Rome's show.

Bewbies
03-05-2011, 12:10 PM
LMAO

Is Dick Cheney in jail yet?

Deberg_1990
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Not shocking....ive long suspected this.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Rush Limbaugh has been saying that some callers to his program are paid/volunteer political operatives with manufactured scripts for a long time.

jAZ
03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Rush Limbaugh has been saying that some callers to his program are paid/volunteer political operatives with manufactured scripts for a long time.

Really? Who's paying them? This suggests it's the radio program or ownership.

stevieray
03-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Douche bag, keep this shit in the DC.

pffft. look at the sig....:spock:

Slainte
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Radio has done this for years and years, Jaz. Sorry you just got your bubble bursted.

Where do you think the phrase "Theater of the Mind" originated?

Brock
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
The callers to Jim Rome, at least the notably good ones, have been recurring callers for 10-15 years. The bad callers don't usually get to come back.

jAZ
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
The callers to Jim Rome, at least the notably good ones, have been recurring callers for 10-15 years. The bad callers don't usually get to come back.

That's a good point, though there are good callers that are relatively new (to me anyway), I don't listen regularly anymore.

alnorth
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Well, in Rush's case, long ago when I was still listening he frequently accused Democrats of coming up with scripts for volunteers or paid actors to get on his show. Anytime someone called with a "dittos Rush, I love your program, I normally agree with everything you say, except this time you are wrong about..." he often would later go on a rant about that caller that they were some kind of Dem plant on a mission to get past the call screener.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

I don't know who's paying them, but most likely it's someone who agrees with whatever message they're trying to get across.

Limbaugh calls them seminar callers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminar_caller). He's talking about people who disagree with his positions of course, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that both sides practice the same kinds of tricks.

Stewie
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Is this different than screened questions in a Presidential press conference?

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, in Rush's case, long ago when I was still listening he frequently accused Democrats of coming up with scripts for volunteers or paid actors to get on his show. Anytime someone called with a "dittos Rush, I love your program, I normally agree with everything you say, except this time you are wrong about..." he often would later go on a rant about that caller that they were some kind of Dem plant on a mission to get past the call screener.

Close.

He called them "seminar callers".

HonestChieffan
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Word on the street is all calls are read from a teleprompter and the script is written and approved by Elvis, Bigfoot, and Big Bird.

Keep this turd thread out of DC. Please.

Baconeater
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Not shocking....ive long suspected this.
I can't speak for the others, but I've felt that way about Rome's show for a long time as well.

alnorth
03-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Limbaugh calls them seminar callers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminar_caller). He's talking about people who disagree with his positions of course, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that both sides practice the same kinds of tricks.

I wont say this has never happened, but I believe its overblown. This was one of the early signs to me that Rush was no longer very entertaining and not worth listening to. Most, if not almost all of those callers Rush thought were seminar callers? They likely really were people who agreed with him on almost everything but felt compelled to convince their "hero" that he was wrong about some issue they thought differently on. People's opinions are analog, not digital.

To me, this appeared to be an insidious club that Rush would beat his audience with, as in "if you don't agree with me 100%, you aren't really conservative, and in fact I'll think you are a seminar caller, so get back in line and etch my words into your brain, overwriting whatever was in there before." Sometimes on some odd issue (McCain followers, people freaking out about Dubai ports) a huge portion of his audience would rebel to the point that Rush would recognize that he couldn't brush it off so he'd have a legit battle with his callers. For the most part, it was an hour or two of Rush delivering his political sermon of the day followed by an hour or so of adulation from his audience.

HonestChieffan
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/01/18/organizing-for-america-building-army-of-talk-radio-seminar-callers/

patteeu
03-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I wont say this has never happened, but I believe its overblown. This was one of the early signs to me that Rush was no longer very entertaining and not worth listening to. Most, if not almost all of those callers Rush thought were seminar callers? They likely really were people who agreed with him on almost everything but felt compelled to convince their "hero" that he was wrong about some issue they thought differently on. People's opinions are analog, not digital.

To me, this appeared to be an insidious club that Rush would beat his audience with, as in "if you don't agree with me 100%, you aren't really conservative, and in fact I'll think you are a seminar caller, so get back in line and etch my words into your brain, overwriting whatever was in there before." Sometimes on some odd issue (McCain followers, people freaking out about Dubai ports) a huge portion of his audience would rebel to the point that Rush would recognize that he couldn't brush it off so he'd have a legit battle with his callers. For the most part, it was an hour or two of Rush delivering his political sermon of the day followed by an hour or so of adulation from his audience.

I both agree and disagree. I think it's naive to believe that this type of thing is rare. The part I agree on is that I don't think Rush Limbaugh is always right when he accuses a caller of being a seminar caller.

Okie_Apparition
03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Is it true? After 100 posts in the DC forum. You get a cereal bowl with a urnial cake attachment.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Is it true? After 100 posts in the DC forum. You get a cereal bowl with a urnial cake attachment.

If I say yes, does that mean you're going to start spamming DC? To be honest, we don't talk about what you get when you post in DC. We don't want to lure any more Lounge trash over than necessary.

jAZ
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't know who's paying them, but most likely it's someone who agrees with whatever message they're trying to get across.

He actually takes calls from people he disagrees with? Or do they sneak through? Either way, it's one thing to have paid experts calling into a show (in his case political experts paid by, say, either a conservative or liberal think tank)... but it's something entirely different for a radio show to plant callers themselves, even paying for them.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
He actually takes calls from people he disagrees with? Or do they sneak through? Either way, it's one thing to have paid experts calling into a show (in his case political experts paid by, say, either a conservative or liberal think tank)... but it's something entirely different for a radio show to plant callers themselves, even paying for them.

The article sounds fishy to me because there are no specifics (except the names of some prominent talk radio personalities who, notably, are never connected by the author to this fakery at all). It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are staged callers to some of these shows but I don't think this "news" should be taken as an indictment of all talk radio. I can't remember the name of the guy, but there was a syndicated talk radio program on the air here in KC for a short time that was based largely on fake calls, many of them produced by the host himself using various alternative voices. It wasn't a closely held secret in that case, but it wasn't something that was announced to the audience either.

And yes, Rush Limbaugh takes calls from people he disagrees with. I'm sure his operation is well trained to take only calls that will make him look good, but that doesn't mean they don't take calls from the opposite side of the political spectrum from time to time. Others slip through by lying to the call screeners, which Limbaugh isn't hesitant to point out.

kcfanXIII
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
it doesn't take a genius to figure out that both sides practice the same kinds of tricks.

QFT

At the end of the day, its entertainment, and entertainment needs ratings. No one wants to hear a show where everyone agrees with rush. Nobody wants to listen to the numbers lady (www.numberslady.com/) on coast to coast without TFG calling to ask about May 21, 2011 (http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/). Who is gonna fill his roll while he's sleeping? I'll admit, I'm a fan of the late night talk show, but I've thought for a long time that some of those crazies that call the show are just a bit too crazy for reality. Take JC for example:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6p0suMbTyDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW this is how i picture fred phelps voice in my head.

BucEyedPea
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Radio has done this for years and years, Jaz. Sorry you just got your bubble bursted.

Where do you think the phrase "Theater of the Mind" originated?

So hasn't tv shows. I learned in advertising about different callers calling from phone booths even looking like it was spontaneous and just individuals.

Valiant
03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, guess what some of the judge shows also have actors.. Surprise????

Gonzo
03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
If I say yes, does that mean you're going to start spamming DC? To be honest, we don't talk about what you get when you post in DC. We don't want to lure any more Lounge trash over than necessary.

Isn't this the pot calling the Kettle black?
The DC is a cess pool where if you ever disagree with posters you're called all sorts of four letter words. I have very rarely witnessed a healthy debate where personal attacks were not the ultimate outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
In regards to the story, do Rome and Rush really need trained actors to pretty much repeat every thing they say? Rome is the worst, his callers are all the same person.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
The article sounds fishy to me because there are no specifics (except the names of some prominent talk radio personalities who, notably, are never connected by the author to this fakery at all). It wouldn't surprise me to find out that there are staged callers to some of these shows but I don't think this "news" should be taken as an indictment of all talk radio. I can't remember the name of the guy, but there was a syndicated talk radio program on the air here in KC for a short time that was based largely on fake calls, many of them produced by the host himself using various alternative voices. It wasn't a closely held secret in that case, but it wasn't something that was announced to the audience either.

And yes, Rush Limbaugh takes calls from people he disagrees with. I'm sure his operation is well trained to take only calls that will make him look good, but that doesn't mean they don't take calls from the opposite side of the political spectrum from time to time. Others slip through by lying to the call screeners, which Limbaugh isn't hesitant to point out.
You must be thinking of Phil Hendrie. Worst radio show ever.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Isn't this the pot calling the Kettle black?
The DC is a cess pool where if you ever disagree with posters you're called all sorts of four letter words. I have very rarely witnessed a healthy debate where personal attacks were not the ultimate outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

No more so than what you just did, kettle.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 05:15 PM

That's the guy! I wasn't a fan either.

mnchiefsguy
03-05-2011, 05:32 PM

His show used to be on really late at night when I lived in the Twin Cities...was not real impressed with it, I just remember it because he was constantly talking about how he was ending the show....yet his show seemed to always be on. He seemed kind of strange.

Gonzo
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
No more so than what you just did, kettle.
Did I call you a fucking inbred idiot because your opinion varies from mine? I think not? Your political views are your own and I respect that. I would never belittle you for having them.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Did I call you a ****ing inbred idiot because your opinion varies from mine? I think not? Your political views are your own and I respect that. I would never belittle you for having them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh?

Gonzo
03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Huh?

Sorry. I lost you I guess. We were discussing the DC and I stated that it's a cess pool.
Apparently you don't think so. And that's fine.
To each his own.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Wut? Lounge trash with their hands out are not welcome in DC!
ROFL

Rep me Simpley Red. I have uncovered the owner of mult Captain Obvious.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Sorry. I lost you I guess. We were discussing the DC and I stated that it's a cess pool.
Apparently you don't think so. And that's fine.
To each his own.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe we're both a little lost because this doesn't explain to me what you were saying in post #36.

Chiefshrink
03-05-2011, 09:51 PM

This!!

Saccopoo
03-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Limbaugh, forever, has had his producers screening his calls and operating on delay to ensure that all views coincided with his. (No one wants to openly argue on air with some fucking nut job caller.)

Like this is news.

You tune into that horseshit, you are just jerking off to whatever political agenda you already had in the first place.

Fucking robot.

patteeu
03-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Limbaugh, forever, has had his producers screening his calls and operating on delay to ensure that all views coincided with his. (No one wants to openly argue on air with some ****ing nut job caller.)

Like this is news.

You tune into that horseshit, you are just jerking off to whatever political agenda you already had in the first place.

****ing robot.

Thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

VAChief
03-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Keep this turd thread out of DC. Please.

I read somewhere the other day that brain research tells us that only 20 percent of the population have a sense of irony. Enjoy the fly by.