PDA

View Full Version : Religion How big a sin is lying?

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm just curious, I know alot of posters here are Christians and I really want to know because I think it's the one sin we rationalize the most. Thoughts for a Saturday evening; a little food for thought.

Psyko Tek
03-05-2011, 03:48 PM
i think it depends on the lie
lieing not to hurt somebody
no big deal
lieing to hurt someone big deal
lieing to cover your ass big deal
lieing cause it's none of their business no big

if it hurts others it's a sin
if it's to protect not a big deal

I have no religion
so take it for what it is worth
Nada

Stewie
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
That depends on the situation.

Part One:

"Did you brush your teeth?"

"Yes, mommy!"

Part Two:

"Are your assets safe?"

"Of course!"

"We'll invest!"

"Where's our money?"

"You gave us money?"

ROYC75
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Sin is sin.

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Sin is sin.

I know that, but as fallible human beings, we tend to create a pecking order.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
It's a terrible sin if you're lying, and not so big a deal if you're being lied too.

Bowser
03-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Depends on the lie...

JohnnyV13
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Depends on the lie...

Exactly, there's a big difference between: No honey, that dress doesn't make you look fat, and No, I didn't kill him.

patteeu
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Just what this forum needs... another thread about Obama. ;)

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Well since you brought it up... :p

Bowser
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Take this shit to DC.

oh...

patteeu
03-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Take this shit to DC.

oh...

You had me going there for a minute.

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I mean, isn't realpolitick lies? When you get right down to it--- the political world is a world of lies and deception, and a compromise of values.

Warrior5
03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I know that, but as fallible human beings, we tend to create a pecking order.

Is that what you're asking? If your question is whether people think lying is a greater/lesser sin than others, then I agree with you that fallible human beings weight them, at least subconsciously.

But from a scriptural perspective, ROYC75 is correct: Sin is sin.

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Is that what you're asking? If your question is whether people think lying is a greater/lesser sin than others, then I agree with you that fallible human beings weight them, at least subconsciously.

But from a scriptural perspective, ROYC75 is correct: Sin is sin.

So, as a Christian, I should despise all politicians, right? Because all they do is lie.

LiveSteam
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes: People!
Its not lying ,if you beleive it. :shake:

Warrior5
03-05-2011, 06:00 PM
So, as a Christian, I should despise all politicians, right? Because all they do is lie.

Different question from your first one.

If that were the case, Christians would despise themselves... everyone lies, and anyone who claims he doesn't sin is a liar.

So no; Scripture would dictate that Christians NOT despise politicians, but rather despise the rampant lying that permeates politics.

The Mad Crapper
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Different question from your first one.

If that were the case, Christians would despise themselves... everyone lies, and anyone who claims he doesn't sin is a liar.

So no; Scripture would dictate that Christians NOT despise politicians, but rather despise the rampant lying that permeates politics.

That was awesome.

Touche.

:thumb:

CrazyPhuD
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
One of the greatest sins one can commit is lying to yourself.

Chiefshrink
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm just curious, I know alot of posters here are Christians and I really want to know because I think it's the one sin we rationalize the most. Thoughts for a Saturday evening; a little food for thought.

A man's word should be his bond, period.:thumb:

His "yes" should be "yes" and his "no" be "no".:thumb:

When you don't have this, you have nothing! Your soul is empty.

Bowser
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
One of the greatest sins one can commit is lying to yourself.

Agreed.

VAChief
03-05-2011, 10:12 PM

I think you meant the "how big a sin is bearing false witness" thread.:p

cdcox
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
The commandment is "bearing false witness against your neighbor". So the commandment has more to do with harming your neighbor than it does with not telling the truth.

Not telling the truth to protect someone's feelings ("no dear, that dress doesn't make you look fat") is not a sin at all.

Likewise, many lies telling a lie about yourself probably falls into a sin under a different commandment, rather than the 8th. Examples:

Lying to your spouse about what you were doing could fall under adultry.

Lying to your parents about not brushing your teeth falls under honoring your father and mother.

Lying to the police to cover up a theft or assault falls under the commands against stealing or killing.

Lying to the police for other reasons falls under the command to honor your father and mother (and other earthly authorities).

You could violate the command not to bear false witness against your neighbor even when telling the truth. Are you putting the best construction on your neighbors actions? Are you telling something about him or her that doesn't need to be told and could damage his/her reputation (gossip)? That is a false witness because you are trying to do harm to your neighbor.

As far as how big of a sin is breaking the 8th commandment? All sins lead to damnation so that is kind of a meaningless question. Sin is not like a disease where some are fatal and some are not. All sin is fatal. The fate of all humans is hopeless without the grace that Jesus won for us on the cross.

Another way to look at it is that Jesus calls Satan the father of lies (John 8:44).

BigRichard
03-06-2011, 05:44 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1213171/Men-lie-times-day-twice-women-study-finds.html

Men tell twice as many lies as women, it emerged yesterday.
Researchers found they tell six fibs a day on average to their partner, boss and work colleagues, but women come out with just three.

The study of 2,000 Britons also revealed that the most common lie told by both sexes was: ' Nothing's wrong, I'm fine.'

While men are likely to fib about having their last pint and claiming their partner's behind doesn't look too big, women avoid telling the truth about their latest shopping purchases.
Eighty-three per cent of adults of both sexes said they could easily tell if their partner was lying.

But body language expert Richard Newman said: 'Most people can't read the signals.

'They assume that if someone is hiding the truth, they would hide their face and avoid eye contact. In fact, the opposite is true.

'Liars usually do everything they can to convince you of the truth, sitting still and looking at you to watch your reaction.

'People simply overestimate their skills in this area.'

The findings emerged in a poll by 20th Century Fox to mark the DVD launch of TV series Lie To Me, starring Tim Roth as a deception expert who helps to solve crimes.

Top ten lies men tell:

1. Nothing's wrong, I'm fine
2. This will be my last pint
3. No, your bum doesn't look big in that
4. I had no signal
5. My battery died
6. Sorry, I missed your call
7. I didn't have that much to drink
8. I'm on my way
9. It wasn't that expensive
10. I'm stuck in traffic

Top ten lies women tell: