PDA

View Full Version : Misc Random Wrestling Thread

Brianfo
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Anybody else follow college wrestling? Iowa State is going to finish dead last in the Big 12 conference tourney. Meanwhile, Iowa has taken an early lead in the Big 10's and has 9 guys in the semis. I have to eat a little crow. Apparently, Tom Brands can coach!!!!

Brianfo
03-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Penn St. starting to flex its muscle.

Bowser
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I thought Iowa State winning at wrestling was just a given. :shrug:

Saulbadguy
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought Iowa State winning at wrestling was just a given. :shrug:

Iowa State finishing dead last in the Big XII is pretty much a given, in nearly every sport.

KcMizzou
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't know anything about college wrestling. I did hear about a wrestler from Mizzou who's getting into MMA. Ben Askren. Guess he's 7-0 so far.

WebGem
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
WE ARE!!!!!!!!

KurtCobain
03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
One of my best school friends has is up in iowa wrestling. He's been pretty pleased with his team this year.

GloryDayz
03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Anybody else follow college wrestling? Iowa State is going to finish dead last in the Big 12 conference tourney. Meanwhile, Iowa has taken an early lead in the Big 10's and has 9 guys in the semis. I have to eat a little crow. Apparently, Tom Brands can coach!!!!

I do when I can. It's the best sport EVER!! In fact, i was stuck in a bar in Dallas this week and all they had was BASKETBALL! I had to leave. Unfortunately it's not very popular, and I have to tape most of what I can watch on CSTV. And it's been a bad year, I try to fly my son back to Annapolis once a year for a tourney, and so far I've failed this year. That sucks IMO!!

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I hate the Brands brothers. Lunatic dwarfs, they are. Big 10 seems a little weaker than in years past... though 141 is stacked.

I really wish I had a team. I just kind of root for whoever has the best chance to beat Iowa. That means PSU, Cornell, and Oklahoma State this year

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Quentin Wright has been a pleasant surprise. Injuries have been killing him but he snuck into the finals. If he can somehow make AA like he did his freshman year, PSU is gonna have a nice shot to win it.

vailpass
03-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I hate the Brands brothers. Lunatic dwarfs, they are. Big 10 seems a little weaker than in years past... though 141 is stacked.

I really wish I had a team. I just kind of root for whoever has the best chance to beat Iowa. That means PSU, Cornell, and Oklahoma State this year

Another victim owned by the Gable factory. Your tears are delicious to us.

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Another victim owned by the Gable factory. Your tears are delicious to us.

I liked Gable's story and Iowa was the first team I rooted for because of him.... Of course that was the zalesky era. It's guys like Brands, Brands, Mike Zadick, Metcalf and the whole Hokeye thing that made me hate the program

Jenson71
03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I had an 8th grade teacher that wrestled a little at Iowa when Gable was doing some assistant coaching. He tells this great story of walking around the mats one day seeing this little old guy hunched over in the gym. He decides he'll wrestle him. Now this teacher, he was like 270 lbs, 6'3" 22 years old. He starts to wrestle Gable, not going to shoot on the old man.

Three seconds later, Gable had him on his back, twisted up, not able to move an inch. Fastest match my teacher ever wrestled.

Jenson71
03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I think if we sent Cael Sanderson to Afghanistan, the Taliban would be extinct in no more than 43 hours. He looks like the guy Woody Harrelson tried to imitate in Zombieland.

vailpass
03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I liked Gable's story and Iowa was the first team I rooted for because of him.... Of course that was the zalesky era. It's guys like Brands, Brands, Mike Zadick, Metcalf and the whole Hokeye thing that made me hate the program

Hokeye thing?

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Hokeye thing?

Brands essentially combined two top 5 recruiting classes---class o 2005---by stripping Virginia Tech of their best freshmen wrestlers when he moved to Iowa. You can tell me those wrestlers would have gone to Iowa earlier if Brands had been there, but you can't say they would have recruited Daniel Dennis, Phil Keddy, and Dan Erekson too

Cael is guilty of the same thing at PSU with Andrew Long, but at least it's only one wrestler.

btw....2nd place...

RustShack
03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Long was kicked off of Iowa State... I'm sure he would love to stay there with all his friends, his family that lives an hour south of there. I'm not sure where Longs brother is now that Sanderson left ISU.. but he was an assistant coach there too.

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Long did have a chance to come back to the team though... much like Montell Marion... But Cael picked him off. Kevin Jackson was nice enough to grant a full release

RustShack
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
He left because of money issues and butting heads with the Athletics Director. They took away his scholarship, Penn offered him one.

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Fair enough. Must not have had too much trouble with the AD though... getting a full release and all

RustShack
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't know the whole scenario. Could have something to do with his brother being a coach for them. I'm sure there was some type of respect there.

RustShack
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't even follow wresting at all though. I just watched Longs Championship match last year, and then that Big10 one tonight. I went to HS with him, and even then about the only time I watched was when I went to the State Tourney.

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Cool. I'm rooting for him. He's had some unfortunate incidents but he's an exciting wrestler to watch.

Jewish Rabbi
03-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Cool. I'm rooting for him. He's had some unfortunate incidents but he's an exciting wrestler to watch.

He's not only used to winning, but dominating. The best way to beat him is get inside his head and frustrate him, much like McDonough did last year. I'm surprised he won today, it was essentially a gift that the Wisconsin guy stopped wrestling after getting up.

Brianfo
03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
He's not only used to winning, but dominating. The best way to beat him is get inside his head and frustrate him, much like McDonough did last year. I'm surprised he won today, it was essentially a gift that the Wisconsin guy stopped wrestling after getting up.

After giving up the early takedown, Long was the aggressor the rest of the match. Almost had a fall in OT. Don't know what match you were watching, but it was not a gift.

NCAA's are going to be the most wide open that they have ever been. Essentially there are 5 teams that could win it.

Iowanian
03-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Brands essentially combined two top 5 recruiting classes---class o 2005---by stripping Virginia Tech of their best freshmen wrestlers when he moved to Iowa. You can tell me those wrestlers would have gone to Iowa earlier if Brands had been there, but you can't say they would have recruited Daniel Dennis, Phil Keddy, and Dan Erekson too

Cael is guilty of the same thing at PSU with Andrew Long, but at least it's only one wrestler.

btw....2nd place...

Those boys that left Virginia, mostly were Iowa High School wrestlers who went to Virginia ONLY because of Brands. It's hard to say who Iowa would and wouldn't have recruited because it's a fact that the top wrestlers usually at least consider Iowa.

Long is a punk.

loochy
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MISUHTo2NDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>