PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs DenverPost cracking down on people who copy articles...

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Wonder when the KC Star will start doing this?

Are the days of Chiefsplanet posting articles in full coming to an end?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16594528

The Denver Post has always taken copyright issues very seriously, both as a creator of content and as a user of other people's content. In fact, everything that appears in a typical edition of the newspaper is copyright protected

Nonetheless, our work is illegally reproduced everyday on websites across the country. The federal Copyright Act protects our right and our readers' rights to make fair use of copyrighted content. We have no issue with people who quote a small amount of a Post story so as to comment on it, perhaps even criticize us. That's the essence of free speech in a vigorous democracy.

But fair use of our content restricts those who want to reference it to reproduce no more than a headline and up to a couple of paragraphs or a summary of the story. (We also request users provide a link to the entire work on our website). The fair use rule generally does not entitle users to display the whole story or photograph on their website. To do so is a violation of our copyright and we will use all legal remedies available to address these infringements.

We understand people may want to share what they find interesting in our publication. This is a reminder that there is a right way to do it.
Finally, thank you for your continued support. We intend to remain a vital and trusted source for unique and unduplicated reporting on the concerns and issues affecting you and this community.

Rams Fan
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I've seen other forums enforce rules like you can only quote 3 sentences or so of an article and give a link to it.

Maybe CP needs to have some rule like that?

vailpass
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Any word on the NFL cracking down on individual knuckleheads who steal their photos and video clips?

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Any word on the NFL cracking down on individual knuckleheads who steal their photos and video clips?

No, but there's some breaking news about fucking assholes who should die in a fire fueled by an AIDS tree.

vailpass
03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
No, but there's some breaking news about fucking assholes who should die in a fire fueled by an AIDS tree.

ROFL copyrightviolatorsayswhat?

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
this is as ridiculous as going after streaming sites...

|Zach|
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
this is as ridiculous as going after streaming sites...

They create it and own it. Doesnt bother me a bit.

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Oh i get that. What difference does it make if i read it here or there though? As long as people are linking the article and not "FYPing" i just don't see how it hurts them.

DA_T_84
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I think its ironic that you copy and pasted the article.

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh i get that. What difference does it make if i read it here or there though? As long as people are linking the article and not "FYPing" i just don't see how it hurts them.

Because you're stealing traffic from big newspaper!

Fried Meat Ball!
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Because online ad revenue is dependent upon web metrics. If people aren't coming to their site to read the articles, they're not getting the credit their site deserves.

Makes total sense.

Rams Fan
03-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Because you're stealing traffic from big newspaper!

Sort of. It's them losing money by having people just read the quoted article instead of reading the article on the website.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2011, 03:58 PM

It's counterproductive. It's news, not intellectual property.

DA_T_84
03-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Sort of. It's them losing money by having people just read the quoted article instead of reading the article on the website.

...which means lost impressions, which means lost ad dollars

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
If its linked i would think there would be some way to represent that to advertisers.

DA_T_84
03-06-2011, 04:20 PM
If its linked i would think there would be some way to represent that to advertisers.

I work in the online ad biz.

If someone copies your story, doesn't provide a link, then your story went out for free and you get no impressions.

If someone copies your story, and includes a link, then your story went out for free to whoever didn't click thru to your website. You may in-turn drive more traffic to your site than you would have originally, but thats a calculated risk.

So, in turn, if people steal your shit, there better be a link with it as well otherwise you lose both ways.

Al Bundy
03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

If someone copies your story, doesn't provide a link, then your story went out for free and you get no impressions.

If someone copies your story, and includes a link, then your story went out for free to whoever didn't click thru to your website. You may in-turn drive more traffic to your site than you would have originally, but thats a calculated risk.

So, in turn, if people steal your shit, there better be a link with it as well otherwise you lose both ways.

That's why I always link the stories I might post.

trndobrd
03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

When they start generating content worth reposting.

Rain Man
03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Is the opening post illegal? If so, I didn't read it.

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Im saying it should be linked. That to me is the same as citing sources for a term paper. Funny, I would have never heard of this paper had it not been for seeing it here. I didn't click the link but Im on my phone and navigating between pages sucks. An advantage this site has because so many stories can be accessed with very little navigation. Too bad greed is gonna screw the net up...

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Because online ad revenue is dependent upon web metrics. If people aren't coming to their site to read the articles, they're not getting the credit their site deserves.

Makes total sense.

100% agree. I don't think they'll figure out how to do it, but I completely understand the logic.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Im saying it should be linked. That to me is the same as citing sources for a term paper. Funny, I would have never heard of this paper had it not been for seeing it here. I didn't click the link but Im on my phone and navigating between pages sucks. An advantage this site has because so many stories can be accessed with very little navigation. Too bad greed is gonna screw the net up...

Greed? Explain....

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Greed? Explain....

it seems a free flow of information will be stopped because somebody's website isnt getting enough clicks.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Not to mention that the Clickthrough rate for banner ads on that website determines the amount they can charge to advertisers.

If they're not going to your site, they're also not clicking on the banner ads.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
it seems a free flow of information will be stopped because somebody's website isnt getting enough clicks.

The information was generated by a fully employed reporter or writer who is getting paid for the content he brings to the website. And when the website doesn't make money, and most newspapers are starting to get hit hard on profits, then you can't guarantee that you can even employ that reporter. The reporter's job is to write an article that attracts eyeballs. Kind of shitty that he may not get the recognition or pay he deserves because he's getting a lot of people reading his articles that aren't being tracked.

It's not free content in the least. It's only free because the information is easy to steal.

Hell, I'd love if they started giving books out for free. But there's a writer out there that put time into writing a book and he deserves to get paid if you are interested enough to read it. These newspaper writers aren't not-for-profit employees. It's more greedy for us to deprive the newspaper of income because it's convenient for us than it is for them to expect to get paid for a service they are providing.

Valiant
03-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Well my only complaint is your clients breaking up a 8 paragraph column into five pages not counting ads..

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Greed? Explain....

please dont quote my entire post. People may not read it in its original form. And if people don't do that, they for sure won't rep me for it....

Ok, now Im done being a smart ass about this.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
please dont quote my entire post. People may not read it in its original form. And if people don't do that, they for sure won't rep me for it....

Ok, now Im done being a smart ass about this.

Chiefsplanet doesn't pay you to post on this forum nor do they make money every time people click on this thread. If they do, let me know how I can get in on that!

Rams Fan
03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Chiefsplanet doesn't pay you to post on this forum nor do they make money every time people click on this thread. If they do, let me know how I can get in on that!

CP makes money from the ads on the bottom of the thread, which help run CP. No ads, no CP.

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I can't figure out why newspapers don't start using non-copy java code or some form of PDFs on their sites. Makes it much harder for the average user to copy and paste somewhere else.

Rams Fan
03-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I can't figure out why newspapers don't start using non-copy java code or some form of PDFs on their sites. Makes it much harder for the average user to copy and paste somewhere else.

I've seen that on some newspaper sites, that you can't right click on photo and a box pops up saying something like, "This is photo has a copyright...:" or something like that.

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I've seen that on some newspaper sites, that you can't right click on photo and a box pops up saying something like, "This is photo has a copyright...:" or something like that.

Yeah that's on most sites...but not for actual text, just images.

You can get around it by using print screen or the Windows 7 snipping tool, but most people are not gonna save an image, upload it and post it.

Bugeater
03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Not to mention that the Clickthrough rate for banner ads on that website determines the amount they can charge to advertisers.

If they're not going to your site, they're also not clicking on the banner ads.
I never click on them anyway. And thanks to flashblock, I don't even see most of them to begin with.

Mr. Plow
03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I've seen other forums enforce rules like you can only quote 3 sentences or so of an article and give a link to it.

Maybe CP needs to have some rule like that?

One board I go to is like that....I hate it. If I wanted to go to another site, I would.

kcfanXIII
03-06-2011, 05:09 PM

you give me a hundred dollars to get in on this opportunity. Then you get 10 people to give you a hundred dollars to get in on the opportunity...

In all seriousness though... We aren't that far apart here. I just think their resources would be better spent figuring out how to track the number of times an article is linked or make it more difficult to copy. Not publishing a "we are gonna sue you" letter and going to court.

You can't punish a dog for stealing your sandwich if you leave it where he can get it... You know?

Count Zarth
03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
You can't punish a dog for stealing your sandwich if you leave it where he can get it... You know?

Bad example.

What would you do if someone came into a buffet and started stealing food?

Not punish them? Because...AFTER ALL...You left the food where anyone can get it.

I don't agree with what the newspaper industry is doing...but they are justified in doing something. And quite frankly directing traffic to their websites is probably a good thing, because there are good newspapers in this country and it would suck if they went out of business.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I never click on them anyway. And thanks to flashblock, I don't even see most of them to begin with.

Most people don't. But in the advertisers' case, you build awareness even if you don't click so impressions are important. And while the Clickthrough Rates are generally pretty low, it's also generally higher than you'd expect.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
you give me a hundred dollars to get in on this opportunity. Then you get 10 people to give you a hundred dollars to get in on the opportunity...

In all seriousness though... We aren't that far apart here. I just think their resources would be better spent figuring out how to track the number of times an article is linked or make it more difficult to copy. Not publishing a "we are gonna sue you" letter and going to court.

I fully agree with you on that. If there's anything the internet has taught us it's that when you start threatening action, that's only going to make it worse on you. I agree with Clay on this (we finally agree on something). Rather than threatening action, they need to instead find ways to make their articles harder to copy and paste.

Bugeater
03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Most people don't. But in the advertisers' case, you build awareness even if you don't click so impressions are important. And while the Clickthrough Rates are generally pretty low, it's also generally higher than you'd expect.
They don't get any awareness if it's blocked.

This is another case where the advertisers are their own worst enemy. If they didn't load up their pages with annoying flash ads that also slow the load times, or even worse put in those intrusive ads that scroll into the middle of the screen as you're trying to read it, maybe people wouldn't be so hesitant to click on links. It's as bad as the annoying loud TV commercials, I either mute it or change the channel, both of which defeat the purpose of advertising.

I don't really feel sorry for them at all.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
They don't get any awareness if it's blocked.

This is another case where the advertisers are their own worst enemy. If they didn't load up their pages with annoying flash ads that also slow the load times, or even worse put in those intrusive ads that scroll into the middle of the screen as you're trying to read it, maybe people wouldn't be so hesitant to click on links. It's as bad as the annoying loud TV commercials, I either mute it or change the channel, both of which defeat the purpose of advertising.

I don't really feel sorry for them at all.

You'd be in the minority that blocks banner ads, I think. If I'm not mistaken, banner ads are doing fine. Those intrusive ads... don't worry, I saw a study on them and I think they do horribly. Even ads that you're forced to watch before you watch a youtube type clip.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

This argument is ridiculous. Believe it or not, the media is not a non-profit business. They're not in business to give you free information. You want that, read a free press or a blog.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Another example of how the newspaper industry is circling the drain.

GloryDayz
03-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Are the days of Chiefsplanet posting articles in full coming to an end?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16594528

Good... Except for our fellow Chiefs fans in Denver, nobody needs to hear from them anyway..

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM

I think it's an example of how to counter the industry circling down the drain.

Newspapers are a dying media, but that has a lot more to do with fragmentation and access. Basically, if I want a news story, 20 years ago I had TV news and my newspaper. Today, I just go to Google News and shop for the story I want to read.

Which is why they need to protect their revenue any way that they can. This is not the right route. But I understand why they're doing it.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-06-2011, 07:44 PM

+1 GAZILLION!

If you want money for it don't post it on the FREE internet, Keep it in print. I always link articles when i post them.

crossbow
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
When I was in college we didn't call it plagiarism. We called it research.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Let them eat cake.

The Bad Guy
03-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Mother fucking zing.

Dave Lane
03-07-2011, 01:02 PM
No, but there's some breaking news about ****ing assholes who should die in a fire fueled by an AIDS tree.

Don't talk about Failpast like that he might realize its true. :)

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
It's counterproductive. It's news, not intellectual property.

If there are editorials involved, it's IP.

I don't find the advertisements on newpaper websites to be annoying in the least and at times, it's quite interesting to see local advertising.

What annoys me are sites like CBS Sportsline and ESPN, who deliberately berate the user with java ads the second you hit their site, and it's all about THEIR advertising. I'm always like "Dude, I'm HERE. I don't need to be spammed about your other shit!".

Bugeater
03-07-2011, 04:59 PM
If there are editorials involved, it's IP.

I don't find the advertisements on newpaper websites to be annoying in the least and at times, it's quite interesting to see local advertising.

What annoys me are sites like CBS Sportsline and ESPN, who deliberately berate the user with java ads the second you hit their site, and it's all about THEIR advertising. I'm always like "Dude, I'm HERE. I don't need to be spammed about your other shit!".
Heh, CBS Sportsline is the one I had in mind when I went on my rant earlier. I'm not going to go back to a website that does that shit.