PDA

View Full Version : Economics Are public unions on the decline?

chris
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Ohio bills are passing.

Here in Wisconsin, indicators are that eventually both house and senate will pass the bills.......or see layoffs for which already people are blaming the Unions.

(My brother-in-law makes $70K a year for nine months work teaching at a WI community college. Plus the aforementioned obscene public benefits. Yet complains about his "rich" sister being the problem. He's been in Madison several times in the past week. Wants to recall Walker. :) )

Also growing talk of Feds allowing states to default on their unsustainable pension liabilities.

Living high at the pig trough may be over.

Jenson71
03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
What on earth could possibly give you that idea?

chris
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
What on earth could possibly give you that idea?

If the states can't default, they will come looking for $$$ anyway and anywhere they can. Yes, they will tax the rich; but that will not be enough. They will turn their knives on the unions. My B-I-L is worried about layoffs.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
If the states can't default, they will come looking for $$$ anyway and anywhere they can. Yes, they will tax the rich; but that will not be enough. They will turn their knives on the unions. My B-I-L is worried about layoffs.

Yup. This is a cold thing to say, but as I've said for a while, those who work hard and do a good job have a lot less to worry about from that regard. I had a friend once tell me that the most vocal critics in most Unions are often times the lowest performers. That makes perfect sense. In a free market, high performers would never want to be unionized because the Private Sector places a lot more focus on rewarding high performers.

BigMeatballDave
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I've never had a Union job. Not a fan of Unions, really. I do, however, believe they have their purpose for teachers, police, firefighters, paramedics, etc. Seems in most cases this group is underpaid.

If there was ever a Union that needs to be dissolved, its the UAW.

HonestChieffan
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
What amazes me is media like the star saying this is republicans vs the middle class...as if the middle class is all union when the vast majority of the so called middle class works real jobs that are not government or union in the first place. Im sick of the class warfare and classism of the dem/left.

HolyHandgernade
03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
What amazes me is media like the star saying this is republicans vs the middle class...as if the middle class is all union when the vast majority of the so called middle class works real jobs that are not government or union in the first place. Im sick of the class warfare and classism of the dem/left.

But, you're perfectly fine with huge tax cut for the wealthy. Forgive and forget it was the wealthy that hoodwinked investors by selling them known investment crap, depleting pensions and budgets so that they could turn around and say "its the 'greedy unions'". What exactly do the Rebs support that actually improves the middle class? They support sacrificing revenues if it means it goes to the wealthy, they believe in the "sanctity" of contracts, unless it is with labor, they export jobs, avoid paying taxes, and have the gall to ask to be subsidized for their operations so they can fleece the general population. Personally, I don't know why there isn't a class warfare? But people, whom very few Reb policies benefit, defend them against their own interest, largely because they are blowhards on socially conservative ideals. They seem to favor being reduced to third world workers, I guess, so that these guys will give them a job?

Unions were one of the reasons there was a middle class once upon a time. The reason you have most of the workplace rule and regulations that protect you from overly greedy employers. Instead, they (and I do mean the ultra wealthy) have found a way to divide and conquer us. We gave away our right to sue (frivolous lawsuits) so that you could only sue for a "manageable amount", making legal recourse difficult to win and unprofitable if you do. We're giving away our right to peaceably assemble in the workplace and collectively ask for what an employer would deny individually. We do it in the name and ideals of "personal responsibility" and "budget saving", but the net result will be the same: The wealthy will be the nobility, the workers will be the serfs, and the politicians will be the stooges that look towards the scraps the wealthy are ready to toss at them to be their fall guy and public targets.

There ought to be a class war, but no one, on either side of the political spectrum believes the general population is $worth$ fighting for. Believes, and maybe rightly so, that we are too ambivalent to even care as long as we have a big screen TV and fast internet service.

RubberSponge
03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
But, you're perfectly fine with huge tax cut for the wealthy. Forgive and forget it was the wealthy that hoodwinked investors by selling them known investment crap, depleting pensions and budgets so that they could turn around and say "its the 'greedy unions'". What exactly do the Rebs support that actually improves the middle class? They support sacrificing revenues if it means it goes to the wealthy, they believe in the "sanctity" of contracts, unless it is with labor, they export jobs, avoid paying taxes, and have the gall to ask to be subsidized for their operations so they can fleece the general population. Personally, I don't know why there isn't a class warfare? But people, whom very few Reb policies benefit, defend them against their own interest, largely because they are blowhards on socially conservative ideals. They seem to favor being reduced to third world workers, I guess, so that these guys will give them a job?

Unions were one of the reasons there was a middle class once upon a time. The reason you have most of the workplace rule and regulations that protect you from overly greedy employers. Instead, they (and I do mean the ultra wealthy) have found a way to divide and conquer us. We gave away our right to sue (frivolous lawsuits) so that you could only sue for a "manageable amount", making legal recourse difficult to win and unprofitable if you do. We're giving away our right to peaceably assemble in the workplace and collectively ask for what an employer would deny individually. We do it in the name and ideals of "personal responsibility" and "budget saving", but the net result will be the same: The wealthy will be the nobility, the workers will be the serfs, and the politicians will be the stooges that look towards the scraps the wealthy are ready to toss at them to be their fall guy and public targets.

There ought to be a class war, but no one, on either side of the political spectrum believes the general population is $worth$ fighting for. Believes, and maybe rightly so, that we are too ambivalent to even care as long as we have a big screen TV and fast internet service.

:bravo:

ClevelandBronco
03-07-2011, 12:12 AM
There ought to be a class war, but no one, on either side of the political spectrum believes the general population is $worth$ fighting for.

Bad idea. The wealthy can afford to hire the rest of us sheep to bump off the union members.

HolyHandgernade
03-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Bad idea. The wealthy can afford to hire the rest of us sheep to bump off the union members.

Shoot, I didn't think about that. :grr:

ClevelandBronco
03-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Shoot, I didn't think about that. :grr:

Don't say shoot, Lefty.

Pushead2
03-07-2011, 12:30 AM
If there was ever a Union that needs to be dissolved, its the UAW.

:thumb:

HonestChieffan
03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
New Gun coming out.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bipBsOyAY2o/TXRaNjNng-I/AAAAAAAAJ3o/aAu4If67E8s/s400/UNION%2BWORKER.jpeg

Its called 2011 Union worker and dedicated to Obama. Main feature is it won't work and cannot be fired.

The Mad Crapper
03-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Michael Barone sums it up nicely:

The labor union movement is in deep trouble. Only 6 percent of private-sector employees are union members. Voters are beginning to realize, thanks to governors like Chris Christie of New Jersey and Scott Walker of Wisconsin, that public-sector unions have negotiated unsustainable levels of pensions and benefits -- and that public-sector unions are a mechanism for involuntary transfers of money from taxpayers to the Democratic Party.

patteeu
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Move over, Frankie! We've got another entry for dumb post of the year.

HonestChieffan
03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Move over, Frankie! We've got another entry for dumb post of the year.

It was a good rant, give credit. It was all a good rant should be. The fact it had nothing to do with the topic, it had passion, rambled...man thats fine.