PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Wyoming to allow concealed carry without a permit

healthpellets
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/bf4b2ba3579e41cc9d1246517d5e235c/WY-XGR--Concealed_Carry/

CHEYENNE, Wyo. ó Wyoming on Wednesday became the fourth state to allow citizens to carry concealed guns without a permit, with Gov. Matt Mead signing a bill into law as several other states considered similar action.

The law allows state citizens legally entitled to own guns to carry them concealed starting in July. The guns still wouldn't be allowed in schools, bars and government buildings.

"We have heard from both sides on this, this bill has attracted a lot of attention," Mead said at a signing ceremony at the state Capitol. "But as written, I thought it was an appropriate bill for Wyoming, and an appropriate law for Wyoming."

Similar bills are pending in states including Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Utah. A bill has been introduced in Kentucky but hasn't advanced while another was introduced for discussion in Idaho.

Alaska, Arizona and Vermont already don't require permits to carry concealed guns.

The push to expand permit-free carry of concealed guns is coming from people demanding the freedom to protect themselves in tough economic times without the requirement to pay for state permits, National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.

"It's an organic movement," Arulanandam said. "I think certainly we are leading the charge ó I'm not hiding behind it. A lot of this is organic in the sense that it comes from people realizing that when something bad happens, it's up to them to defend themselves and their loved ones. And when something bad happens, instant responders are better than 'first responders.'"

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, said Wednesday the center is concerned about the trend.

"The gun lobby is trying to push more guns into more places," Helmke said.

Helmke noted Arizona was the most recent state to allow concealed carry without a permit. And he noted that a man has been charged in the Jan. 8 shooting that killed six people at a congressional meet-and-greet Jan. 8 outside a Tucson supermarket. Thirteen other people were wounded including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

A national push that started in the 1990s has resulted in most states allowing concealed carry of guns with a permit. Helmke said that only Illinois and Wisconsin still don't allow concealed carry.

"They don't want to lead with the fact that their next sort of agenda item is to get rid of the permits altogether," Helmke said of the gun lobby. "They lead with the idea that the only people who get permits in states are people who have been thoroughly checked out and law-abiding."

But proponents of the Wyoming bill say their interested in respecting and restoring individual rights. Wyoming would continue to offer concealed-carry permits so citizens would have reciprocity with other states.

Sponsor Sen. Kit Jennings, R-Casper, said he expects several states will follow Wyoming. "It's a good bill. We'll go forward, and we'll protect those constitutional rights," he said at the bill-signing ceremony.

Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis, was a co-sponsor. She said she had been working to pass such a bill for the past seven years. "The governor by signing this bill just restored some rights to all of Wyoming citizens," she said.

Anthony Bouchard, executive of the Wyoming Gun Owners Association, has lobbied for the Wyoming bill. He discounted the idea that such legislation is merely intended to sell guns.

"Criminals have guns, and gun laws just prevent law-abiding citizens from doing the same," Bouchard said.

Radar Chief
03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Hmmm. Iím a supporter of CCW and all but I still think there should be a permit process.

2bikemike
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Helmke is such a dumb ass. Trying to use the AZ tradgedy as an argument. What most of these dumb asses fail to acknowledg or understand is that when someone has evil intentions gun laws don't matter.

mikey23545
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Helmke noted Arizona was the most recent state to allow concealed carry without a permit. And he noted that a man has been charged in the Jan. 8 shooting that killed six people at a congressional meet-and-greet Jan. 8 outside a Tucson supermarket. Thirteen other people were wounded including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Obviously the shooter would not have gotten close to carrying out his attack if he had suddenly realized he couldn't conceal his weapon legally.

This is the liberal mind in action.

Otter
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Hmmm. Iím a supporter of CCW and all but I still think there should be a permit process.

Yep

chiefsnorth
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM

I agree, the process should be rigorous but for the law abiding, as close to universal as possible

Warrior5
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm with you, Radar.

Bwana
03-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Montana is doing the same thing, but I do agree with this.