PDA

View Full Version : Science NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

Donger
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110305/tc_digitaltrends/nasascientistfindsevidenceofalienlife;_ylt=A0LEaosFGHVNOUgBaxas0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNkY25nM2I5BGFzc2V0A2R pZ2l0YWx0cmVuZHMvMjAxMTAzMDUvbmFzYXNjaWVudGlzdGZpbmRzZXZpZGVuY2VvZmFsaWVubGlmZQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fbW9 zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawNuYXNhc2NpZW50aXM-

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/alien-life-figure-4a-210x300.jpg

Aliens exist, and we have proof.

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist [sic] would say that this is impossible.”

Hoover discovered the fossils by breaking apart the CI1 meteorite, and analyzing the exposed rock with a scanning-electron microscope and a field emission electron-scanning microscope, which allowed him to detect any fossil remains. What he found were fossils of micro-organisms (pictured below), many of which he says are strikingly similar to those found on our own planet (pictured above).

“The exciting thing is that they are in many cases recognizable and can be associated very closely with the generic species here on earth,” said Hoover. Some of the fossils, however, are quite odd. “There are some that are just very strange and don’t look like anything that I’ve been able to identify, and I’ve shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump.”

In order to satisfy the inevitable hoard of buzz-killing skeptics, Hoover’s study and evidence were made available to his peers in the scientific community in advance of the study’s publications, giving them a chance to thoroughly dissect his findings. Comments from those who decided to sift through the evidence will be published online, alongside the study.

“Given the controversial nature of his discovery, we have invited 100 experts and have issued a general invitation to over 5,000 scientists from the scientific community to review the paper and to offer their critical analysis,” writes Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics scientist Dr. Rudy Schild, who serves as the Journal of Cosmology’s editor-in-chief. “No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published.”

Needless to say, if Hoover’s conclusions are found to be accurate, the implications for human life will be staggering. Here’s hoping that he’s right.

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks. Our hearts believe, but our brains are kind of bummed.

Edit: This article has been updated with an additional photograph and altered for clarity.

Demonpenz
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
sam cassel

JOhn
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Well at least there is other life to carry on when the world ends on May 21st

Sofa King
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh goodie.

Hopefully cracking the meteorite in half unleashed a deadly alien pandemic unto the world.

Bowser
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Time to sell my shit and buy an RV.

chiefsnorth
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
This is well-timed given the impending budget cutting in Washington.

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I, for one, welcome our new alien/bacterial overlords.

chiefsnorth
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I, for one, welcome our new alien/bacterial overlords.

I'll be toiling in the sugar caves ;)

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Good thing I'm stocked up on antibacterial soap

beach tribe
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh goodie.

Hopefully cracking the meteorite in half unleashed a deadly alien pandemic unto the world.

"METEOR SHEEIT!"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPpQCarlncY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I wonder what you get if you put them in a vat with yeast, sugar, barley, and malt

Count Zarth
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
This was already exposed as bullshit.

http://gawker.com/#!5777460/fox-news-publishes-fake-exclusive-about-discovery-of-alien-life

Pants
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
:(

/wish it was true

Sofa King
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
You shall have no more fun.

/ Wendler

blaise
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Unless it can shoot lasers or fly spaceships it doesn't count.

Count Zarth
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
You shall have no more fun.

/ Wendler

http://i51.tinypic.com/64nxxl.jpg

Donger
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM

http://gawker.com/#!5777460/fox-news-publishes-fake-exclusive-about-discovery-of-alien-life

It's not bullshit.

Lzen
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I wonder what you get if you put them in a vat with yeast, sugar, barley, and malt

Don't forget the hops.

Count Zarth
03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
It's not bullshit.

Yes, it is. Look at the journal of cosmology (http://journalofcosmology.com/)'s website. Fucking amateur hour. This guy has made the same claim several times now.

It's just Fox News attention whoring. (they got an "Exclusive" with the guy. ahahahahaa)

JOhn
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, it is. Look at the journal of cosmology (http://journalofcosmology.com/)'s website. ****ing amateur hour. This guy has made the same claim several times now.

It's just Fox News attention whoring. (they got an "Exclusive" with the guy. ahahahahaa)

I'm gonna have to go with Clay on this one. If anyone knows attention whoring, it's Clay:thumb:

Donger
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, it is. Look at the journal of cosmology (http://journalofcosmology.com/)'s website. ****ing amateur hour. This guy has made the same claim several times now.

Hoover's original work didn't complete peer review for whatever reason. I wouldn't so quickly pass judgment.

tooge
03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Don't forget the hops.

yeah, those too. Probably either get some wicked palien ale, or some really pissed off and drunk aliens

Dave Lane
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM

The Fox News portion of the story should have given it away. I swear Faux News is getting more like World Net Daily every day.

Dave Lane
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Comments from the article ROFL

"
but judging from existing posts, one can easily surmise their audiences reactions...

"That little space cattipilliar has the right to live!! He shouldn't be all dissected by those NASA lib-tards!"
- Wanda, KY.

@Wanda: "Why do all Nasa Rokkets fly left...? "
because they ain't got no "rite wing" hahhahaha
YEEEEEEE-HAWWWWW!!!
- Butch, FLA

"But oh, my Gawd ya'll !! think of all those poor Alien babies that need good Christian homes...! "
- Linda, MT.

"But who want's a blue semi transparent Alien baby with huge eyes? We got enough Brown, Black babies anyway, what we're short on is a supply of healthy White babies...and I really want a White baby ya'll..."
- Brittany, SC

"Well, the only Aliens we should be concerned with are the ones...CROSSING OUR BOARDERS!!" *chukchuk* loads shotgun*
- Fred, AZ.

Foxnews.com is like the ultimate, socially acceptable White Supremacist site in US. Period.
They spew racism thinly veiled as "News" constantly and their commenters reflect that mindset...

Xenophobia and Hate FOR THE WIN!!! (Edit comment) "

:) ROFL

Mr. Plow
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
"Paging Dr. Dick....Dr. Dick Hoover."

BigRichard
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
"Paging Dr. Dick....Dr. Dick Hoover."

So he is a Dick sucker from way back?

Ebolapox
03-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Good thing I'm stocked up on antibacterial soap

fwiw, there's a good chance your antibacterial soap won't work against novel bacteria. the cell wall structure may be highly different (possibly no peptidoglycan or lipopolysaccharides), and it may have a different means of energy production (mitochondria) or protein synthesis (ribosomes with two subunits, 50s and 30s). if these components are different (not to mention a lot of other differences), our means of nullifying the bacteria are COMPLETELY ineffective.

#WINNING.

HonestChieffan
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Zombies cannot be far behind.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
fwiw, there's a good chance your antibacterial soap won't work against novel bacteria. the cell wall structure may be highly different (possibly no peptidoglycan or lipopolysaccharides), and it may have a different means of energy production (mitochondria) or protein synthesis (ribosomes with two subunits, 50s and 30s). if these components are different (not to mention a lot of other differences), our means of nullifying the bacteria are COMPLETELY ineffective.
#WINNING.

So you're sayin' there's a chance?

Lonewolf Ed
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Romulan Ale, no doubt. Extra blue even.

Ebolapox
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
So you're sayin' there's a chance?

about as much of a chance as carlos estevez getting another show on CBS any time soon.

jspchief
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
let's all focus on this instead of the $400 mil satellite they just launched to the bottom of the sea

bowener
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
let's all focus on this instead of the $400 mil satellite they just launched to the bottom of the sea

Is that considered launching or sinking?

FAX
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
What Mr. Hoover's detractors don't seem to understand is that, in order to locate and identify fossilized alien bacteria, you have to think like fossilized alien bacteria.

FAX