PDA

View Full Version : KU Even Washington Post thinks the "sunspot" excuse for KU/MU feed was BS

Mr. Laz
03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
CBS decision to switch away from Kansas-Missouri game a bad call

Discussion Policy

By Tracee Hamilton
Sports Columnist
Monday, March 7, 2011; 11:50 AM
It wasn't the Heidi Game, but it was close.

In 1968, NBC switched away from a pro football game between the Raiders and the Jets -- with the Jets leading -- to show the children's movie "Heidi." The Raiders scored two touchdowns and won, 43-32, while Grandfather was blathering about hating the village, or whatever. I was an 8-year-old girl with three grandfathers I loved very much -- in other words, the movie's target demographic -- and even I wouldn't have flipped that switch.

Saturday, CBS suddenly switched away from the Kansas-Missouri game with a little more than three minutes remaining -- to show the beginning of Michigan vs. Michigan State or Oregon vs. Arizona, depending on the region. The network never switched back, and I missed KU's eventual 70-66 victory and its seventh straight Big 12 regular season title.

Why? Sunspots are the culprit, said CBS. The sunspots refused to comment but immediately scheduled interviews with "Nightline," "The View" and "Oprah" to tell their side of the story, and Charlie Sheen issued a statement saying the sunspots are actually a product of mixing tiger's blood and Adonis DNA.

I realize I have a dog in this hunt, being a KU alum, but I think any college basketball fan will agree that the last three minutes of pretty much any game are more important than the first three minutes of pretty much any game. When the killer sunspots attacked, the game was not decided. Having a nine-point lead with a little more than three minutes remaining is not the same thing as winning, especially when you're talking about the No. 2 and No. 22 teams in the country who hate each other with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. Or sunspots.

Oddly, while much of the country lost the game, stations in Topeka and Wichita, Kan., didn't. The St. Louis affiliate lost it, but got it back. Columbia and Springfield, Mo., were not as lucky -- and neither was Kansas City, on both sides of the river. That's what makes the sunspots story suspect -- the rather random nature of their impact.

Ironically, the shared outrage on both sides of the border marks the first time Missouri and Kansas fans have agreed on anything since . . . since . . . It's the first time Missouri and Kansas fans have agreed on anything, period.

This would be a lot less enraging if we weren't heading into a three-week period in which most TVs in America will be tuned to CBS, which with Turner Sports is just beginning a new $11 billion, 14-year deal to televise the NCAA tournament. The partnership is supposed to guarantee that every single tournament game will be shown, in its entirety. Forgive me if I'm skeptical.

Technical difficulties happen. I get that. Say they really did lose a satellite feed. How about telling the viewers and then giving updates from the game, at the very least? The network did put the score of the KU-Mizzou game on a crawl, for a while, but the last I saw was with 28 seconds remaining and Missouri down by 7. After that, instead of game updates, we got to see graphics like this one: "Team Colors -- Michigan yellow, Michigan State green."

Thanks, CBS!

Finally I switched to ESPN, where I knew I'd find the final score on a crawl and eventually some highlights as well. And this is the problem: As much as I hate to see the World Wide Leader gobble up every sporting event under the sun, the truth is, the ESPNs do a better job of broadcasting pretty much everything than pretty much every other network.

So CBS, you have 14 years to develop anti-sunspot technology. Maybe you can use Charlie Sheen as a shield?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/07/AR2011030701964.html

Saulbadguy
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
BUTT HURT

Fish
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
We've been having lots of solar activity as of late... as we're approaching Solar Maximum. It's going to be this way for the next few years. Many different communication system have been affected lately.

This is a giant solar prominence that was caught 2 weeks ago, resulting in some of the communications failures lately...

<object height="390" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_N2PXdq_bWE&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="390" width="640"></object>

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
who. the. fuck. cares.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
no way! who'da guessed???

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/meet_tracee_hamilton_new_sport.html

Reerun_KC
03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
who. the. ****. cares.
This... I didnt miss any of the game... So I dont fucking care...

Sounds like something rival fans are obsessed with though...

Saulbadguy
03-07-2011, 05:59 PM

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/meet_tracee_hamilton_new_sport.html

:LOL:

SNR
03-07-2011, 06:32 PM

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/05/meet_tracee_hamilton_new_sport.htmlUhh... yeah. She admitted the bias in the fucking article, dude.

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
We've been having lots of solar activity as of late... as we're approaching Solar Maximum. It's going to be this way for the next few years. Many different communication system have been affected lately.

This is a giant solar prominence that was caught 2 weeks ago, resulting in some of the communications failures lately...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_N2PXdq_bWE&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="390" width="640"></object>That vid is awesome.

(Still think KCTV5's full of shit, though)

cabletech94
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
station gm was on blob fescoe this morning.
took all the blame.
some sort equip screw up, or some other B.S.

i'd believe the station manager first.

plus sunspots don't generally happen for another couple days or so anyhow.

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
plus sunspots don't generally happen for another couple days or so anyhow.Or just at the exact time the other game is ready to tip off.

Pants
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Not the smartest cookie in the jar, are you?

|Zach|
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
A buddy of mine was in charge of the KCTV website and social media channels at the time this happened. Heh, I think he has had better days.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Not the smartest cookie in the jar, are you?

just didn't read the article...BECAUSE I DIDN'T FUCKING CARE.

Reerun_KC
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
just didn't read the article...BECAUSE I DIDN'T ****ING CARE.

But you cared enough to post in the thread?

:doh!:

Pablo
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
just didn't read the article...BECAUSE I DIDN'T FUCKING CARE.Sure.

We all believe that.

But reply to my post to show everybody just how much you don't fucking care.

Pablo
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
:LOL:Are you laughing because your fellow EMAW friend is incapable of reading?

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Sure.

We all believe that.

But reply to my post to show everybody just how much you don't ****ing care.Hell, I believe it. Wasn't his team's game. :shrug:

Demonpenz
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
everyone waving the fucking wheat probably blacked out the signal!

bowener
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM

<object width="640" height="390">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_N2PXdq_bWE&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Damn! I bet that felt goooood.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Hell, I believe it. Wasn't his team's game. :shrug:

b..b.bbutt the center of the universe revolves around Lawrence KS.

Last year when Fox forgot to send a satellite truck to Manhattan and therefore didn't air a KSU game, I grumbled for a few minutes then turned on the radio like an adult.

I didn't piss and moan for days, I didn't walk out on my bar tab as people apparently did all over town, and I didn't call radio shows 2 days later to talk sun spots and state I'd never watch NCIS again.

cabletech94
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Or just at the exact time the other game is ready to tip off.

EXACTly.

bowener
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Last year when Fox forgot to send a satellite truck to Manhattan and therefore didn't air a KSU game, I grumbled for a few minutes then turned on the radio like an adult.

I didn't piss and moan for days, I didn't walk out on my bar tab as people apparently did all over town, and I didn't call radio shows 2 days later to talk sun spots and state I'd never watch NCIS again.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/GDM426/Captions/SlowClap-01.jpg

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM

South Dakota?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
South Dakota?

?

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
?

http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010310aaa.html

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010310aaa.html

ah, didn't remember who it was....wasn't really a big deal as I said.

Mr. Plow
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Uhh... yeah. She admitted the bias in the fucking article, dude.

LMAO

Spott
03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
How did sunspots get inside the building?

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
ah, didn't remember who it was....wasn't really a big deal as I said.

Of course you don't remember, it was South Dakota.

I'm not saying it's right to dine and dash (actually, the Mizzou fan I was with mentioned not tipping, and I was like, WTF?... much less not paying at all), and I found the FB/Twitter backlash entertaining.... but comparing the last 3 minutes of MU's SB/KU's chance to be outright B12 Champions to sitting at home wondering why KSU/South Dakota isn't on is beyond ridiculous.

And to imply that it was all KU is retarded, since the whole theme has been "bringing rival fans together with a common hatred"... I'm sure KSU fans would have acted much differently in that situation. :rolleyes:

bowener
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM

They're sneaky and snuck it.... they're hard to spot...

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm not saying it's right to dine and dash (actually, the Mizzou fan I was with mentioned not tipping, and I was like, WTF?... much less not paying at all), and I found the FB/Twitter backlash entertaining.... but comparing the last 3 minutes of MU's SB/KU's chance to be outright B12 Champions to sitting at home wondering why KSU/South Dakota isn't on is beyond ridiculous.

And to imply that it was all KU is retarded, since the whole theme has been "bringing rival fans together with a common hatred"... I'm sure KSU fans would have acted much differently in that situation. :rolleyes:I'm gonna ignore the digs at Mizzou here.

But you're right, skipping out on your tab... stiffing your waiter/waitress is a situation like that is bullshit. Hell, it's not their fault.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2011, 08:40 PM

And to imply that it was all KU is retarded, since the whole theme has been "bringing rival fans together with a common hatred"... I'm sure KSU fans would have acted much differently in that situation. :rolleyes:

go read Phog and KUSports....look at the literally DOZENS of threads about it posted EACH DAY since Saturday...then go read Tigerboard.....and dig back through about the first 8 PAGES and see how many threads there are about it. I counted 2 unless I missed something.

Go check out kstatefans.com and read the threads there started by KU fans begging KSU fans to join the boycott.

It's really pathetic.

Oh, and wasn't KU up by 13 at the point they cut away?

Mr. Plow
03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
LMAO

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
go read Phog and KUSports....look at the literally DOZENS of threads about it posted EACH DAY since Saturday...then go read Tigerboard.....and dig back through about the first 8 PAGES and see how many threads there are about it. I counted 2 unless I missed something.

Go check out kstatefans.com and read the threads there started by KU fans begging KSU fans to join the boycott.

It's really pathetic.

Oh, and wasn't KU up by 13 at the point they cut away?

Holy shit, tigerboard looks the same as it did ~10 years ago (probably the last time I looked at it)... what a clusterfuck. A couple of gems during my visit: something about a fan wearing a UNI shirt to the game, and a "what if Davidson had beaten KU" deep thought.

I'm not going to phog, because it's full retard, too... I don't know why fans of either team would go to those places, much less rival fans. I'd rather kill brain cells with beer.

Anyway, I'm sure you uncovered the cold hard facts while browsing those wonderful sites... all I know is that everyone at BWW was pissed off, and plenty of KU and MU fans were complaining on FB and Twitter (either personal pages or KCTV5's). I'm sure MU fans would have been a bit more angry had their team come back and won... not sure why any Tiger fans would be calling into radio shows screaming about missing the loss.

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm sure MU fans would have been a bit more angry had their team come back and won... not sure why any Tiger fans would be calling into radio shows screaming about missing the loss.You bet your ass. I'm mildly annoyed that I missed the furious comeback. If we'd won I'd have been PISSED.

Mr. Laz
03-07-2011, 09:10 PM
They're sneaky and snuck it.... they're hard to spot...

wouldn't that make them darkspots or at least dimspots?

Sure-Oz
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
You bet your ass. I'm mildly annoyed that I missed the furious comeback. If we'd won I'd have been PISSED.

I was glad my espn scorecenter app for my phone kept refreshing, it got me through it but i was super pissed

acesn8s
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Do sunspots come from when dadspots and momspots hook up?

CosmicPal
03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujTTjt5VkZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bowener
03-07-2011, 09:50 PM
wouldn't that make them darkspots or at least dimspots?

I'm not racist. I don't see color....

teedubya
03-08-2011, 01:20 AM
A buddy of mine was in charge of the KCTV website and social media channels at the time this happened. Heh, I think he has had better days.

Yeah I bet Kurt got smacked around a bit. Lol. Is there is such a thing as a cyber black eye?

teedubya
03-08-2011, 01:21 AM

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_N2PXdq_bWE&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="390" width="640"></object>

That is a complete Sungasm... full of solar ejaculate. #winning

Saccopoo
03-08-2011, 02:04 AM

What the fuck is that? Does NASA have a guy sitting a couple of miles off the Sun in some super protective krypton space shield with a cell phone hoping to capture a little hydrogen diarrhea?

At least the Hubble wasn't a total piss away of my taxes like the Afghani/Iraq invasion. At least I get some nice vids of gas farts from the Sun versus having to pay $6.73 a gallon for the privilege of some cock sucking oil company now having a complete monopoly on that energy source.

Awesome Aric
03-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Of course it's bullshit.

"Bob" Dobbs
03-08-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm thinking the culprit was NOT sunspots, per se, but a sun outage, which is, unfortunately, inevitable this time of year. Happens in the afternoon for a few days each year and affects ALL geosynchronous satellites.

I've had to deal with them for years, and it sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

Lzen
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM

That.....is bad ass!

Dave Lane
03-08-2011, 08:53 AM

My guess would be ticketsforless.com

HemiEd
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Or just at the exact time the other game is ready to tip off.

Yeah, it was pure bull shit.
I am in the Big 10 cess pool up here and it was no mystery why two big 10 teams took priority.
It just gave me a chance to get some work done earlier than expected.