PDA

View Full Version : Music Asking for 10 minutes of your time

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
With all the music talk going on I'm submitting for your approval or dislike(if the embedded video cannot change your mind) the number one reason Bruce Springsteen is called The Boss.

All I ask is that you watch the video in full,the guitar solos,the energy,the full blown experience of Bruce and the E Street Band at their very best.I've shown this song at many of my parties(it's taken from the Live In New York City DVD) and even non Springsteen fans have commented how they didn't realize the energy the man has and why he's called The Boss.

So great,good,decent or just plain suck,please give me 10 minutes and a then a reply.

Thanks.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yFu80Et9sUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm not done listening to Rocket Reducer #5.

acesn8s
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
meh

siberian khatru
03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Personally, I don't think it gets any better than this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VH_NvYPBDY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phobia
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Springsteen was huge when I was a kid. I should really like him. But I don't. Don't know why. He doesn't really grab me. It's a lot of noise and shouting for me. Sure, he's an energetic entertainer but I'm not personally entertained. He doesn't seem incredibly talented for me. I'm not blown away by his voice or stage presence.

I tried to enjoy the 10 minutes. I really did. But, I'm not impressed. Sorry Joe.

LiveSteam
03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7nsBhC9uxGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
the boss has a butch hair cut. WTH were you thinking Joan

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Personally, I don't think it gets any better than this:

No way in hell would I even try and disagree with that,i just opted for Light Of Day because it's more upbeat and to me shows a non Springsteen fan that the guy can rock.

Just so you know,Jungleland is in my top 10 songs ever.

Bump
03-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I've always liked The Boss, screw the haters :)

LiveSteam
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
No way in hell would I even try and disagree with that,i just opted for Light Of Day because it's more upbeat and to me shows a non Springsteen fan that the guy can rock.

I like the song. never heard anyone but Joan sing it.

siberian khatru
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM

It's phenomenal. I'm not what you would call a big Springsteen fan (although I really like the "Born to Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town" albums). But even this prog boy can appreciate the epic sweep of Jungleland, the shifts in mood, the fantastic piano work by Roy Bittan and the sax solo by Clarence. It's a great song, and that performance in that video makes the hair stand on my neck every time.

ClevelandBronco
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I saw Springsteen in 1978 or so in a 2,000 seat venue and he absolutely ripped the place down. Best live show imaginable.

I wouldn't give you two cents for his work after 1980.

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Springsteen was huge when I was a kid. I should really like him. But I don't. Don't know why. He doesn't really grab me. It's a lot of noise and shouting for me. Sure, he's an energetic entertainer but I'm not personally entertained. He doesn't seem incredibly talented for me. I'm not blown away by his voice or stage presence.

I tried to enjoy the 10 minutes. I really did. But, I'm not impressed. Sorry Joe.

All opinions are welcome and remember when you were a kid Springsteen was at his commercial heights with Born In The USA.Have you ever tried going way back and listening to lyrics of Spirits In The Night,Jungleland,The River or Darkness On The edge Of town?

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I like the song. never heard anyone but Joan sing it.

You are aware that Bruce wrote the song?

yhf
03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I see your Bossclips and raise ya two Princeclips.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/madax7-lMvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Effortlessly steals the show from Petty and Harrisons kid.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4QKajzKmyhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Best halftime show ever.

The Princeclips aren't even the cream of the crop just solid examples of the midgets superiority.

LiveSteam
03-07-2011, 09:50 PM

No I wasn't. But I do remember the first time I heard Joan sing it. Making it with my girl friend in the back of an old station wagon at the drive in.

LiveSteam
03-07-2011, 09:52 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/madax7-lMvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4QKajzKmyhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Best halftime show ever.

The Princeclips aren't even the cream of the crop just solid examples of the midgets superiority.

LIL RED CORVETTE ruined 7th grade for me

Bugeater
03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Prince??? LMAO

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:55 PM

I own the performance from the R&R HOF on DVD,one of my favorites and truly shows how talented Prince is,however,I wasn't comparing the two.

rockymtnchief
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
:thumb:

I don't have to watch the video to know I agree with you. And still the best concerts I've been to. Three hours of energy.

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Prince??? LMAO

Easy man,Prince is one badass guitar player,have you watched the first clip.

Phobia
03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
All opinions are welcome and remember when you were a kid Springsteen was at his commercial heights with Born In The USA.Have you ever tried going way back and listening to lyrics of Spirits In The Night,Jungleland,The River or Darkness On The edge Of town?

There's something about the music you grew up enjoying - at least for me, that gets hold of me and won't let go. I'm not saying I won't ever develop an appreciation for The Boss because I hated Tom Petty until the past decade or so.

Useful Idiot
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Springsteen is not my thing. At all. I know he was big when I was a kid...but I really don't care for generic pop music.

However...I think it is wonderful that you have something that moves you enough to get on here and make a thread about it. I definitely know that feeling.
That is what music is about.

Bugeater
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Easy man,Prince is one badass guitar player,have you watched the first clip.
No, I heard plenty of his cheesy bubblegum pop bullshit back in the 80s.

Bearcat
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM

I agree with this... I think I have a few of his songs on my iPod. :shrug:

Watching the video, the first impression I got was "this guy's kind of weird," not so much "this guy is the boss" or whatever. Then it got weirder at ~4:00, then I got bored with the repetition at ~5:00.

If this video is all about showing his energy, then great... but I'd think it's not the best example from a musical performance perspective.

Rain Man
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I actually wasn't a particular Springsteen fan in my younger days, primarily because I didn't really follow any particular performers. It wasn't until I got married in the early 90s that I started browsing my wife's CD collection and realizing, "Holy cow, he did that song? And that one? And that one?" Then I went to my first concert and I was hooked.

The thing that gives me sustained interest is that he can do good ol' basic rock and roll like Cadillac Ranch, high-energy stuff like Light of Day, and can produce very complex stories with organs and accordians and unique sounds that are almost symphonic like Jungleland. And then he can come out by himself with a piano and do "For You" (below) that pulls you completely into a different perspective. And he writes it all himself.

But yeah, Jungleland is really, really hard to beat. Apparently he very rarely plays it in concert, and I was at a concert in St. Paul a couple of years ago when they started it up. It actually brought tears to my and my wife's eyes because it's one of his most memorable songs and we never thought we'd hear it live.

I'm kind of surprised that so many people around here seem to have some disdain for him. He has so many songs that define the quintessential American experience, and many of the experiences I hear CPers talk about, that I would think his music would speak to most of them. I know it's not just the music for me, it's the stories and scenes in the lyrics.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kXRrmeJ5lGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yhf
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I own the performance from the R&R HOF on DVD,one of my favorites and truly shows how talented Prince is,however,I wasn't comparing the two.

Yeah sorry for messin' with your flow. The Boss is a badass in his own way. Your fervent support for an oft misunderstood icon stirred me to do the same. Shouldna crashed your thread.

KcMizzou
03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
No, I heard plenty of his cheesy bubblegum pop bullshit back in the 80s.He's right.

LiveSteam
03-07-2011, 10:05 PM
When I hear the Boss I think RED WHITE & BLUE & Go USA
I like John's music to.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/joNzRzZhR2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qOfkpu6749w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I saw Springsteen in 1978 or so in a 2,000 seat venue and he absolutely ripped the place down. Best live show imaginable.

I wouldn't give you two cents for his work after 1980.

Where'd you see him? My wife saw his show in Iowa City in 1978 and the t-shirt is in her cedar chest next to her confirmation dress.

Pitt Gorilla
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I tried to enjoy the 10 minutes. I really did. But, I'm not impressed. Sorry Joe.This. Bruce is fine, but it's not something I'd choose to listen to.

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 10:13 PM
There's something about the music you grew up enjoying - at least for me, that gets hold of me and won't let go. I'm not saying I won't ever develop an appreciation for The Boss because I hated Tom Petty until the past decade or so.

I believe that's true of everyone and although I consider myself somewhat of a music buff I have a few friends who have introduced me to new music and even stuff much older than I that I've come to love.Believe me,I wasn't a Springsteen fan until 1980 but thanks to the prodding of a friend I found out what I'd been missing,just had to take some time and read the lyrics and learn more about the guy.

Here's The River,great lyrics if you have the time to listen.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V35WbPl6sEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Springsteen is not my thing. At all. I know he was big when I was a kid...but I really don't care for generic pop music.

However...I think it is wonderful that you have something that moves you enough to get on here and make a thread about it. I definitely know that feeling.
That is what music is about.

Again,I'm assuming you're about 30-40 years old and basing generic pop music on Born In The USA and the like.Go back to 1980 and before when Bruce was anything but generic pop music.

Nzoner
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree with this... I think I have a few of his songs on my iPod. :shrug:

Watching the video, the first impression I got was "this guy's kind of weird," not so much "this guy is the boss" or whatever. Then it got weirder at ~4:00, then I got bored with the repetition at ~5:00.

If this video is all about showing his energy, then great... but I'd think it's not the best example from a musical performance perspective.

Like I said all opinions are welcome no matter how much I disagree with them :D

Rain Man
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Again,I'm assuming you're about 30-40 years old and basing generic pop music on Born In The USA and the like.Go back to 1980 and before when Bruce was anything but generic pop music.

Some of it may hearken back to how people grew up and came of age, and how the stories speak to them. For some reason, these stories speak to me.

Racing In The Street is another one from the pre-1980 era that practically takes me back in time. I can even smell the trees in the hollows of the back roads of my hometown when I hear this song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NltljcANCFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DomerNKC
03-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I am more of a thunder road, the river, brilliant disguise, tunnel of love kind of guy. The Boss is awesome!

Useful Idiot
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm really not familiar with his early stuff...and please don't take it as a personal insult...but I just can't get into that era. I love all kinds of music from many different generations, but mid to late 70's and early 80's never grabbed me.

unless of course we are talking about Popol Vuh.

ClevelandBronco
03-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Where'd you see him? My wife saw his show in Iowa City in 1978 and the t-shirt is in her cedar chest next to her confirmation dress.

I had to look it up. It would have been Veteran's Memorial Auditorium, Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 5, 1978. Turns out the place now seats 3,900, but I don't know if it seated that many in '78. When I walked into the Paramount in Denver for the first time, it reminded me immediately of the room where I'd seen Springsteen.

Your wife has the t-shirt? I'm jealous. I don't think I had the cash for the shirt after picking up the tickets and whatever other peripherals I needed for the evening.

EDIT: Yeah, I just looked up the Paramount and seating capacity is 1,980. The room I was in in '78 didn't seem twice as large.

yhf
03-07-2011, 10:49 PM
He's right.

Who's right? Don't tell me you don't dig Prince. Dude really is an incredible talent.

Dallas Chief
03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
First real concert for me ever was in November 1984 at Kemper Arena- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Born in the USA. Born to Run totally slayed me that night...

pr_capone
03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I tried Joe. Springsteen never tripped my trigger as a kid and most of what I heard in the clip was just noise to me.

Then again, my tasted in music are not the norm. My favorite music in the world would likely get me laughed off the board. :D

rockymtnchief
03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I am more of a thunder road, the river, brilliant disguise, tunnel of love kind of guy. The Boss is awesome!

I'm more of a 'Badlands' and 'Promised Land'. And last week I found his cover of Jimmy Cliffs 'Trapped' and got it on the iPod.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K2eE9H7Nzww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rtmike
03-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Best halftime show ever.

I think Prince gets overlooked when talking about guitar greats some times. If a person looks past his showmanship they see a dude (albeit a small fella) who's an incredible guitar player. :thumb:

ChiefsCountry
03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Never could get into his music and I love lots of classic rock from the 70's and 80's. Now post some ZZ Top stuff then he will be talking. :)

Miles
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey its the guy from Conan and the guy from the Sopranos.

Miles
03-08-2011, 12:29 AM
I have never really been able to get into Springsteen. I have tried more than a few times including this video but just doesn't work for me.

blaise
03-08-2011, 05:41 AM
I watched it. I respect that he has a lot of talent and he's a great showman, but his music doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the sound and I don't like his voice very much. To each his own.

rockymtnchief
03-08-2011, 05:54 AM
I watched it. I respect that he has a lot of talent and he's a great showman, but his music doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the sound and I don't like his voice very much. To each his own.

I respect that. Music is like cars, guns or women. What one guy loves another guy doesn't care for.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2011, 06:11 AM

I never realized he wrote the song until a few months ago. Did he write it for the movie? The movie is pretty obscure..probably Michael J Fox's least known.

rockymtnchief
03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I never realized he wrote the song until a few months ago. Did he write it for the movie? The movie is pretty obscure..probably Michael J Fox's least known.

Springsteen wrote this and gave it to filmmaker Paul Schrader for his 1987 movie starring Michael J. Fox and Joan Jett. In 1982 Schrader sent Springsteen a script for a movie called Born In The U.S.A., hoping he would take a role in the film. Bruce declined, but used the title and thanked Schrader on the album's liner notes.

Michael J. Fox and Joan Jett performed this in the movie. Their version was released as a single and hit #33 in the US. It was credited to "The Barbusters."

This is one of Springsteen's live favorites. He often performs an inspirational extended version, preaching lines like "I can not offer you eternal life, but I can offer you life right now."

Bruce performed this at a 1992 concert for MTV. Part of their "Unplugged" series, Springsteen insisted on playing electric and calling it "Plugged." The set was released as an album in England.

The title was used as the name of a benefit concert Springsteen played at The Stone Pony, a small club in New Jersey, in 2000. Proceeds went to The Parkinson's Disease Foundation. Michael J. Fox, who starred in the movie Light Of Day, has Parkinsons.

Springsteen performed this with Joan Jett at 2 benefit concerts in New Jersey in 2001. Proceeds from the shows went to victims of the September 11 attacks.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1050

Nzoner
03-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Some of it may hearken back to how people grew up and came of age, and how the stories speak to them. For some reason, these stories speak to me.

Agreed,I did a lot of writing in high school(school paper,poems,stories etc.) and had an overall love for song lyrics.When I got introduced to Bruce's songs the stories were so real and then came the in concert experience and wow.

Nzoner
03-08-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm really not familiar with his early stuff...and please don't take it as a personal insult...but I just can't get into that era. I love all kinds of music from many different generations, but mid to late 70's and early 80's never grabbed me.

unless of course we are talking about Popol Vuh.

No offense taken at all,I was looking for a decent discussion on The Boss and am quite pleased with all the responses.

Nzoner
03-08-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm more of a 'Badlands' and 'Promised Land'. And last week I found his cover of Jimmy Cliffs 'Trapped' and got it on the iPod.

Great cover,have you seen any of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 25th Anniversary performances?

Here's Bruce,Patti Smith and U2

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/be8YuyneES4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John Fogerty and Bruce

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iQqHzPzQsMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
03-08-2011, 06:52 AM
heh, ive never been a big Springsteen fan, but i did enjoy his "Born in the USA" period during my HS years. I remember my grandmother used to love him during that time as well. Her fave album of his was the "Nebraska" album...which i of course hated.

rockymtnchief
03-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Great cover,have you seen any of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 25th Anniversary performances?

Yup, watched them more than once.

There's a lot of good performances on Youtube. I especially liked his set with Eddie Vedder and him doing 'Pretty Woman' with John Fogerty.

Nzoner
03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
heh, ive never been a big Springsteen fan, but i did enjoy his "Born in the USA" period during my HS years. I remember my grandmother used to love him during that time as well. Her fave album of his was the "Nebraska" album...which i of course hated.

Just an FYI if you didn't already know but the song Highway Patrolman on the Nebraska album was Sean Penn's inspiration for a 1991 movie called The Indian Runner.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0d6N-zUMqKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

REDHOTGTO
03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
ya know i really liked bruce for most my life, till i went and saw him in concert, big mistake ! he sucks on stage, cant understand a word he sings and spouts a bunch 'o his political crap for all to hear. theres a ton of better singers out there imo

patteeu
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm a moderate Springsteen fan. I really like some of his songs, usually the more upbeat ones. My favorites are songs like Thunder Road, Ramrod, and The River, but this video was outstanding and fits right up there with his best, IMO. Like others, I didn't realize it was a Springsteen song.

I prefer my favorites from Bob Seger over my favorites from Springsteen, but that's probably a minority view.

Brock
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
He's no Tom Petty, but he's pretty good.

Lzen
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Not a big Springsteen fan or anything, but I've always appreciated the energy he brings. His stage presence is a big part of why his show is great. I remember seeing Bruce and the E Street band on Mtv when I was a teen - Born To Run. Wasn't really my style of music but I really liked it because you could see the passion and energy in their performance. As a musician (who used to gig regularly) I can really appreciate that.

BTW, Max Weinberg of Conan O'Brien fame (actually, of Bruce Springsteen fame before that) - :thumb:

Wife must think I'm crazy because they have drug me to the Country Stampede a couple times and I show support for some of those performers even though that is definitely not my kind of music (I never listen to country other then when the wife is playing it...and even then, I will try to turn the station). I tell them I just appreciate a good musician who shows their passion and gives everything in their performance to their fans.