PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Obama backtracks on Gitmo

healthpellets
03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
So now we're gonna restart trials at Gitmo. Well, that's not exactly the Hope and Change I was hoping for...

actual order: http://static1.firedoglake.com/28/files/2011/03/110307-Executive_Order_on_Periodic_Review.pdf

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/08/3157654.htm?section=justin

Obama restarts Guantanamo trials
By North America correspondent Lisa Millar, wires

The White House has confirmed military trials for terrorism suspects will be held again at Guantanamo Bay, more than two years after putting a stop to them.

US president Barack Obama issued the long-awaited decision after a deep review of administration policy and says he remains committed to eventually closing the prison.

"I am announcing several steps that broaden our ability to bring terrorists to justice, provide oversight for our actions and ensure the humane treatment of detainees," he said in a statement.

The White House says secretary of defence Robert Gates will soon issue an order "rescinding his prior suspension on the swearing and referring of new charges in the military commissions".

Mr Obama says he is broadening America's ability to put terrorists on trial and will continue to make use of all parts of the US justice system.

There are more than 170 men still detained at Guantanamo, including those accused of orchestrating the September 11 attacks.

The president has also issued new guidelines on the treatment of detainees who authorities believe cannot be tried but are deemed too dangerous to free.

He has ruled in an executive order that among other requirements, detainees will have the right to have a periodic review of the reasons for their continued incarceration.

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Maybe he can just pardon them all as he leaves office the morning of Jan. 20, 2013.

dirk digler
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I know and it is disappointing. We should have just killed them and dumped them in the ocean instead of detaining them forever.

I will add though he really didn't have a whole lot of choices Congress wasn't going to fund trials or to move them anywhere.

healthpellets
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I know and it is disappointing. We should have just killed them and dumped them in the ocean instead of detaining them forever.

I will add though he really didn't have a whole lot of choices Congress wasn't going to fund trials or to move them anywhere.

curious how strong the opposition would have stood had he threatened to begin releasing one detainee per week if off site trials continued to be unfunded.

not the best way to go about your business, but possibly effective.

dirk digler
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
curious how strong the opposition would have stood had he threatened to begin releasing one detainee per week if off site trials continued to be unfunded.

not the best way to go about your business, but possibly effective.

Yeah that wouldn't work and he would be dead politically. Plus it is just a stupid idea.

healthpellets
03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah that wouldn't work and he would be dead politically. Plus it is just a stupid idea.

oh come on. it would have been fun. we all know there are guys there that shouldn't be there. wouldn't hurt to release one in to the wild now and again. :p

blaise
03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I bet 20% of the public believes he closed the prison and no one is there anymore.

mlyonsd
03-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Once again Obama makes Bush and Cheney (for pat) look like genious's.

chiefsnorth
03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Just another example of how all the rhetoric that people voted for was just him spouting off on things he knew nothing about. Now that he's in office he realizes how insane those ideas were and has in many ways continued the prudent policies of the Bush administration on terror.

I don't for a minute think he wants to do these things, I think he'd rather turn tail and run everywhere and release all of these detainees free and clear, but he correctly surmises how dangerous it would be (or at least his handlers do)

He can try to triangulate and lead his flock to believe he still wants to do X or he will follow through on Y later, but his hand is being forced by political consequences into doing the right thing.

patteeu
03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Maybe he can just pardon them all as he leaves office the morning of Jan. 20, 2013.

It might be worth the trade.

mlyonsd
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM

You realize you've just vindicated the Bush administration with their handling of terrorists.

Oh, and Obama has proven he will say anything to get elected.

Brock
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
This guy has turned out to be a lying douchebag.

mlyonsd
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM

No, Bush only is the one guilty of lying to us. Campaign promises are exempt from the 'lying' clause.

Too funny.

WV
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
No, Bush only is the one guilty of lying to us. Campaign promises are exempt from the 'lying' clause.

Too funny.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UErR7i2onW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mlyonsd
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
And yet the only lie Bush will be remembered for is lying us into the Iraq war. You remember that.....the one almost every Democrat lied us into including our current SOS.

No wonder the true libs from old have disappeared from this forum. God love'em.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
And yet the only lie Bush will be remembered for is lying us into the Iraq war. You remember that.....the one almost every Democrat lied us into including our current SOS.

No wonder the true libs from old have disappeared from this forum. God love'em.reminds me of the great conservative migration a few years back...

dirk digler
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
You realize you've just vindicated the Bush administration with their handling of terrorists.

Oh, and Obama has proven he will say anything to get elected.

Did the Bush administration believe in killing them over detaining them? I don't believe so or we wouldn't had some 560 detained at one point or another.

It would been easier just to eliminate them.

As I mentioned earlier and most ignored Congress wasn't going to fund transfer or civilian trials so what other option was there?

mlyonsd
03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
As I mentioned earlier and most ignored Congress wasn't going to fund transfer or civilian trials so what other option was there?

Maybe not lie in the first place?

Sorry, your guy doesn't get a pass for running his mouth.

patteeu
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Did the Bush administration believe in killing them over detaining them? I don't believe so or we wouldn't had some 560 detained at one point or another.

Oh, I see. Bush made him do it. How fresh.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-10-2011, 12:18 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... seems to me i was saying this A YEAR before he was elected. coinkidink? methinks not.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-10-2011, 12:19 AM

WOW! You make the neocon way of thinking seem like the happy hippie way.

The Mad Crapper
03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
So...

Is Karl Rove still going to be indicted in two weeks?