PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 13

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
This one's going to be an interesting one.

KCChiefsMan
03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
first

blaise
03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
How many Bob Dylan songs are in it?

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
How many Bob Dylan songs are in it?

Only 2 this round, but I'm sure they're good ones. Probably. Maybe.

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
You know what's a really good song in this heat? Ramrod. You have to grin when you hear this song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysW2RV0jU2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Okay, here's a threshold question to a 'rock' poll:

Could this song cause me to get a speeding ticket?

No, 'Son of a Preacher Man' cannot get you a ticket - you're not going to find yourself blasting down the highway at 90 chanting "ooooh yes he was!"

Some of these choices absolutely suck balls. They're not bad songs in their own right, but it's a damn rock poll, people. "Roam"? Please.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Only 2 this round, but I'm sure they're good ones. Probably. Maybe.

These two Dylan songs are considered some of his best. Even non-Dylan fans can appreciate them.

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Okay, here's a threshold question to a 'rock' poll:

Could this song cause me to get a speeding ticket?

No, 'Son of a Preacher Man' cannot get you a ticket - you're not going to find yourself blasting down the highway at 90 chanting "ooooh yes he was!"

Some of these choices absolutely suck balls. They're not bad songs in their own right, but it's a damn rock poll, people. "Roam"? Please.

That's a pretty good rule, actually. I like that.

patteeu
03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I voted for Springsteen, Meatloaf, and a classic from Dusty Springfield. There were a couple of other contenders in this heat along with some other songs by Guns n Roses and Bob Dylan.

blaise
03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
These two Dylan songs are considered some of his best. Even non-Dylan fans can appreciate them.

I put "Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues" at the top and then there's everything else.

Slainte
03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
From the top, 1-2-3...

Slainte
03-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Meat Loaf fans tend to be kid touchers, by and large...

Just statin' the facts.

patteeu
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Just statin' the facts.

True. I hugged my kids just this morning.

Slainte
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
True. I hugged my kids just this morning.

Good luck and God bless, now..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5tKvwoPy9SM/SxPA8JDOLPI/AAAAAAAAHIc/x0kSynqmv5k/s1600/SexOffender2009-05-22-1243031455.jpg

Easy 6
03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Just statin' the facts.

ROFLROFLROFL

Great Expectations
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Right now the suckage option is winning, I think it would be a well deserved win.

Omaha
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Right now the suckage option is winning, I think it would be a well deserved win.

This. :LOL:

patteeu
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm impressed with how well Dusty Springfield has done so far. No way will suckage beat Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm impressed with how well Dusty Springfield has done so far. No way will suckage beat Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

Pulp Fiction vote.

If it's not in Pulp Fiction, it doesn't get a sniff.

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
There's no way that suckage should be winning right now. This heat has four worthy songs - Preacher Man, Dashboard Light, Roam, and Ramrod.

No offense, jenson.

BigMeatballDave
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Pulp Fiction vote.

If it's not in Pulp Fiction, it doesn't get a sniff.Pretty much. That sound track is loaded and most of which go largely unknown without the film.

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 01:47 PM

I agree on both counts. I'd think that Dashboard would be blowing the doors off of the place. It's Meat Loaf, for crying out loud.

Omaha
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Go suckage!!! It's All Right, Ma is the only one I really like & you guys mostly hate Dylan.

BigMeatballDave
03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Go suckage!!! It's All Right, Ma is the only one I really like & you guys mostly hate Dylan.Thats because the general consensus is that Dylan sucks huge balls.

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think you should select "these all suck" if you vote for 1 of them. It seems that most people are selecting 1 song, then 'these suck' as in 'the rest of these suck'.

In so doing, they're running their song against itself.

If you vote for even one of these tunes, don't vote for 'these all suck'...simple as that.

That's the only explanation for Meatloaf dying off here.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think you should select "these all suck" if you vote for 1 of them. It seems that most people are selecting 1 song, then 'these suck' as in 'the rest of these suck'.

If you vote for even one of these tunes, don't vote for 'these all suck'...simple as that.

Good point. Also, the only reason for Dylan dying off is because of massive adult illiteracy problems. In order to counter this, all Bob Dylan songs should start off with a 25 pt handicap.

Rausch
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM

No, this is a pretty $3itty heat. I just don't want anything B52's to ever "win."

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I think the new rule that was supposed to solve a problem just created a new problem. Therefore, I suspect that our government came up with the rule.

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Good point. Also, the only reason for Dylan dying off is because of massive adult illiteracy problems. In order to counter this, all Bob Dylan songs should start off with a 25 pt handicap.

That and the fact that Dylan's a whiny hippy that would've been nothing but an obscure beatnik had he been born 10 years earlier.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
That and the fact that Dylan's a whiny hippy that would've been nothing but an obscure beatnik had he been born 10 years earlier.

It's one of those "But for the Grace of God" moments that all the right stars aligned.

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
It's one of those "But for the Grace of God" moments that all the right stars aligned.

Are these the same stars that are supposed to make me revere John Lennon?

Because those stars suck.

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM

That kind of bitter dismissal could be the start of a good Dylan song.

siberian khatru
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xql99I1VSdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I recognized that in Heat 9. If you have one song that people like and a bunch that they don't, the one good song can get 90 percent of the committed votes and still go down because the suckage option got 100 percent of the vote. Theoretically, it shouldn't happen very often, but realistically I think it's happening.

I was pondering changing it so that at least one song advances in every heat, but didn't want to waffle. What do you think?

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if people would JUST LISTEN TO RAMROD, DAMMIT!

DJ's left nut
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I recognized that in Heat 9. If you have one song that people like and a bunch that they don't, the one good song can get 90 percent of the committed votes and still go down because the suckage option got 100 percent of the vote. Theoretically, it shouldn't happen very often, but realistically I think it's happening.

I was pondering changing it so that at least one song advances in every heat, but didn't want to waffle. What do you think?

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if people would JUST LISTEN TO RAMROD, DAMMIT!

No, because if the option is used correctly, the rule is fine. If "these ALL suck" is the third option, then three songs shouldn't advance but 2 probably should.

It's not the rule...it's stupid voters that don't pay attention to its application.

I'd say more, but I'd hate for the thread to end up in DC.

Though I wonder if you could use a 'lowest minimum balance' form of accounting. In other words, lets say you have 40 voters and 25 of them vote for Meatloaf while 26 vote for suck. Well you know you have at least a little bit of overlap there - that's 51 voters if the votes are mutually exclusive, as they should be.

So what you could do is count the 25 votes for the song (use the highest voted song in any poll) and pare down the 'suck' votes to the lowest amount that could've been 'legally' cast - in this case, 15 (25 for a song, 15 for suck = 40 voters).

Granted, it's not perfect, there's going to be some overrepresentation in the 'suck' category still, but it should save a song or two.

EDIT: (Though in reviewing this poll, 67 voters and only 33 votes for Meatloaf, so perhaps the suck option isn't being abused that readily. You could always make it public thus opening the option of public ridicule, but it's been a closed ballot thus far, so that probably shouldn't change).

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Y'know, I think maybe the easiest solution would be to just use a "Suckage +1" approach. If no songs beat suckage, we take 1 song. If 1 song beats suckage, we take 2. And if 2 or more beat suckage, we take 3. I think that kind of eliminates the problem of the top songs having to hope that there's a third song out there that people like.

Plus, it keeps me from having to do a lot of math.

It's an interesting statistics problem, though. I can't quite figure out the impact of having more songs on the ballot versus less. If we had 100 songs, it should basically eliminate suckage as an option because people should be able to find three that they like. But if we had 100 songs, then the top songs would get a smaller proportion of the vote, and if even a small number vote for suckage it could beat the top vote getter. Someone ought to tackle that problem for their thesis.

Baconeater
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
While not all of them are terrible songs, none of them deserve to advance.

Suckage.

headsnap
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Who is the tool that nominated the entire Bob Dylan library?!?!?

sheesh....

Chief Chief
03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
#1: Dang it! If you're gonna have a massive mercy killing heat, at least include a tune or two from the likes of Pat Boone, Lawrence Welk, Slim Whitman, etc. (I mean, give some respect to those artists who truly wanted to crank it up a notch and kick some ass on stage but were forced to succumbed to the pressures and norms of our American society of the 50's.)

#2: In the video shown in Post #5, the Boss (with his ballcap on backwards) looks from the side like Adam Sandler.

#3: I'm inspired to write a song entitled "Suckage". I envision it will primarily deal with the norms of our American society of the 50's.

Chief Chief
03-08-2011, 06:32 PM

sheesh....

Dude, just wait 'til you see the songs listed in future heats which were originally performed by Robert Zimmerman (B. Dylan's original name), Elston Gunn, Blind Boy Grunt, and Tedham Porterhouse (B. Dylan's short-lived stage names), not to mention The Shadow Blasters and The Golden Chords (names of two bands he was part of in high school)!!

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 06:34 PM

sheesh....

I didn't know it was going to end up like this. But really, he's written like 500 songs that were recorded. This is a mere fraction of his library.

Chief Chief
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Y'know, I think maybe the easiest solution would be to just use a "Suckage +1" approach. If no songs beat suckage, we take 1 song. If 1 song beats suckage, we take 2. And if 2 or more beat suckage, we take 3. I think that kind of eliminates the problem of the top songs having to hope that there's a third song out there that people like.

Plus, it keeps me from having to do a lot of math.

It's an interesting statistics problem, though. I can't quite figure out the impact of having more songs on the ballot versus less. If we had 100 songs, it should basically eliminate suckage as an option because people should be able to find three that they like. But if we had 100 songs, then the top songs would get a smaller proportion of the vote, and if even a small number vote for suckage it could beat the top vote getter. Someone ought to tackle that problem for their thesis.

You committed a felonious crime by not preceding this post with the term "WARNING: FOR NERDS ONLY!!".

cdcox
03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
If you can't vote for Roundabout or PBTDBL, there is something seriously wrong with you. This not a suck round at all.

KcMizzou
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm as big a GnR fan as several apparently are Dylan fans, but the acoustic version of "You're Crazy" is pretty awesome.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j-o6tqTMLdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I didn't know it was going to end up like this. But really, he's written like 500 songs that were recorded. This is a mere fraction of his library.

Yeah, sorry about that. I volunteered you for a beating. Hopefully Bob will take notice and write a song about it, though, which would make up for it.

headsnap
03-08-2011, 08:54 PM

500 songs that were recorded, maybe they are all good songs, but they are not all good Rock N Roll songs!!!!!

Frazod
03-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Seriously, WHO THE FUCK NOMINATED ALL THIS BOB DYLAN SHIT?????

:Lin:

Rain Man
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Look at Son of a Preacher Man. Go, Dusty, go!

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I volunteered you for a beating. Hopefully Bob will take notice and write a song about it, though, which would make up for it.

Oh, what I meant was that I would have nominated about 100 more songs if I knew it was coming to this.

For every Dylan-inspired beating on earth, God gives us Five Dylan-love sessions in heaven.

FD
03-09-2011, 01:20 AM
I put "Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues" at the top and then there's everything else.

You are completely insane.

KurtCobain
03-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Oh, what I meant was that I would have nominated about 100 more songs if I knew it was coming to this.

For every Dylan-inspired beating on earth, God gives us Five Dylan-love sessions in heaven.

Nice.

blaise
03-09-2011, 04:27 AM
You are completely insane.

Feel lucky to be alive, though.

Rain Man
03-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Shuttin' it down.

Per the new "suckage+1" interpretation, we will only promote two songs since only 1 beat the suckage option.

Paradise by the Dashboard Light advances, along with Son of a Preacher Man.

I'll have a little cleanup on past heats to update to the new interpretation, but I'll post that in Heat 15.

siberian khatru
03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Shuttin' it down.

Per the new "suckage+1" interpretation, we will only promote two songs since only 1 beat the suckage option.

Paradise by the Dashboard Light advances, along with Son of a Preacher Man.

I'll have a little cleanup on past heats to update to the new interpretation, but I'll post that in Heat 15.

I'm sorry, but that is complete bullshit.

Judging by all the mediocre shit that's already advanced, you're gonna allow a "suckage" outlier like this poll to prevail and promote only two, when the third-place finisher clearly is competitive with the top four vote-getters?

Hell yes I have a personal stake in this -- this is the only Yes song, and it's getting bumped out of a close race by a stupid rule. The suckage option shouldn't even be there, or it at least shouldn't count -- it should be a toothless protest vote. It shouldn't be used to dump a song that got 36 votes.

But since most everybody else here is doing nothing but promote their favorites (which is why we have 12 GNR songs competing for best of all time), I'm going to speak up.

I implore you to reverse this decision and promote Roundabout to the next round.

Rain Man
03-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry, but that is complete bullshit.

Judging by all the mediocre shit that's already advanced, you're gonna allow a "suckage" outlier like this poll to prevail and promote only two, when the third-place finisher clearly is competitive with the top four vote-getters?

Hell yes I have a personal stake in this -- this is the only Yes song, and it's getting bumped out of a close race by a stupid rule. The suckage option shouldn't even be there, or it at least shouldn't count -- it should be a toothless protest vote. It shouldn't be used to dump a song that got 36 votes.

But since most everybody else here is doing nothing but promote their favorites (which is why we have 12 GNR songs competing for best of all time), I'm going to speak up.

I implore you to reverse this decision and promote Roundabout to the next round.

Yeah, this gun n roses thing is killing me, too.

There appears to be no perfect solution to the suckage option. It seemed to make sense at the time, and if a song comes in third behind suckage it probably has no chance of advancing further anyway. The 1st and 2nd songs can be victimized by suckage, though, whereas the third place song really can't, hence my justification for Suckage+1. While Roundabout certainly made a good run, I would encourage you to nod to it in thanks and then shift your support to a song that has the legs to go deep in the tournament. Something like, say, Thunder Road or Born to Run.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Put all the Metallica, GNR and Dylan songs together in the next heat.

Rain Man
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Put all the Metallica, GNR and Dylan songs together in the next heat.

(Thoughtfully stroking chin.)

As an aside, the next heat's going to be interesting. It's going to cause some debate, I bet.

siberian khatru
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, this gun n roses thing is killing me, too.

There appears to be no perfect solution to the suckage option. It seemed to make sense at the time, and if a song comes in third behind suckage it probably has no chance of advancing further anyway. The 1st and 2nd songs can be victimized by suckage, though, whereas the third place song really can't, hence my justification for Suckage+1. While Roundabout certainly made a good run, I would encourage you to nod to it in thanks and then shift your support to a song that has the legs to go deep in the tournament. Something like, say, Thunder Road or Born to Run.

Like I said, "suckage" should be a toothless protest vote. It shouldn't be used to dump a song that got 36 votes.

As for "it wouldn't win anyway," then we shouldn't even be nominating songs by deeply obscure bands that had no shot of even competing. That just cluttered up the field.

The whole competition was flawed from the beginning. :harumph:

Rain Man
03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Like I said, "suckage" should be a toothless protest vote. It shouldn't be used to dump a song that got 36 votes.

As for "it wouldn't win anyway," then we shouldn't even be nominating songs by deeply obscure bands that had no shot of even competing. That just cluttered up the field.

The whole competition was flawed from the beginning. :harumph:

I'll offer you the same deal I offered the White Stripe Army people. If you can get them past either Dusty or suckage, I'll put them in as a filler in the next round if we need to fill out a heat. I might be doing that with a few close finishers anyway if we don't end up with a multiple of eight.

But you really should think about voting for Thunder Road instead.