PDA

View Full Version : Obama Record number of US children living in poverty

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
(CBS News) Unemployment improved a bit last month but it is still nearly nine percent and the trouble is job creation is so slow, it will be years before we get back the seven and a half million jobs lost in the Great Recession. American families have been falling out of the middle class in record numbers. The combination of lost jobs and millions of foreclosures means a lot of folks are homeless and hungry for the first time in their lives.

One of the consequences of the recession that you don't hear a lot about (gee, I wonder why?) is the record number of children descending into poverty.

The government considers a family of four to be impoverished if they take in less than $22,000 a year. Based on that standard, and government projections of unemployment, it is estimated the poverty rate for kids in this country will soon hit 25 percent. Those children would be the largest American generation to be raised in hard times since the Great Depression.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20038927.shtml

Cave Johnson
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Look at you, acting like you care.

mikey23545
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
It's Bush's fault.

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Look at you, acting like you care.

I do care. I tried to warn everybody they were making a big mistake voting for a communist. Nobody listened. Oh wait, they did listen---

To you, banyon, amnorix, orange, Flunkie, Kc Naive...

go bowe
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
geeze, 25% of all kids rely on government aid to live...

yeah, let's cut benefits to the poor, those lousy kids should just go out and get a job...

WV
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
But, but, there are still countless armpit countries that need our money more than our own. Let's send North Korea some aide!

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM

yeah, let's cut benefits to the poor, those lousy kids should just go out and get a job...

But Barry, Pelosi, and Reid et al didn't cut any "benefits to the poor"--- yet poverty has gotten worse. How did that happen? If you told most Americans ten years ago that in 2011 over 43 million Americans would be on food stamps hardly anyone would have believed you.

But yet here we are.

Black poverty is higher now than under President Bush.

In fact, during the Bush years, black unemployment was actually lower than during Clinton’s terms, at an average of 9 percent and certainly lower than the 16.3 percent it stands at today.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t02.htm

Indeed, under Obama, black unemployment rose from 12.6 in January 2010 to 16.3 percent as of August 1 2010. An almost 30 percent increase.

http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/16743

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3cib3fK139M/TTVWl1kubYI/AAAAAAAAGRs/ynA8S_hEP_A/s400/Gas+Station+01.jpg

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/piper1.jpg

To all those under 30 who worked so hard to get this man elected, know this: He just screwed you over. He thinks you are fools. Either the U.S. will go into default because of Obama's cowardice, or you will be paying far far more for far far less because this President has no courage when it counts. He let you down. On the critical issue of America's fiscal crisis, he represents no hope and no change. Just the same old Washington politics he promised to end.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGC7zRxo8k0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGC7zRxo8k0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.badideatshirts.com/Assets/ProductImages/PS_0930_O_SHIT.jpg

http://mallardclothing.com/poundit/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/obama-steve.jpg

Chief Henry
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Unemployment is improving ? After they changed the calculations 2 months ago its
improving. SHAZAM unemployment is now under 9%.

Amnorix
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I do care. I tried to warn everybody they were making a big mistake voting for a communist. Nobody listened. Oh wait, they did listen---

This is Obama's fault? Are you serious?

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Unemployment is improving ? After they changed the calculations 2 months ago its
improving. SHAZAM unemployment is now under 9%.

Barry's done such a great job his first two years in office, he's now in full re-election mode, and so is the media.

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
This is Obama's fault? Are you serious?

Black poverty is higher now than under President Bush.

In fact, during the Bush years, black unemployment was actually lower than during Clinton’s terms, at an average of 9 percent and certainly lower than the 16.3 percent it stands at today.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t02.htm

Indeed, under Obama, black unemployment rose from 12.6 in January 2010 to 16.3 percent as of August 1 2010. An almost 30 percent increase.

http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/16743

How did that happen? That doesn't sound like Hope and Change.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
But Barry, Pelosi, and Reid et al didn't cut any "benefits to the poor"--- yet poverty has gotten worse. How did that happen? If you told most Americans ten years ago that in 2011 over 43 million Americans would be on food stamps hardly anyone would have believed you.
actually, freezing soc sec benefits, cutting medicaid and food stamps are all pretty big hits to the poor and the sorta-poor, thanks to the pelosi and reed regime...

poverty has pretty much gotten worse at about the same rate the world economy has gotten worse...

it's the world wide economic recession that is putting people in the poorhouse, not obama (although he doesn't appear to have helped a great deal)...

and, not only would no-one have believed you 10 years ago, they probably won't believe how much worse it's going to get, regardless of what obama and the next president do...

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Where did all that stimulus money go? Ribs and Wagu steaks?

Amnorix
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
You can post all the stupid pictures from Moonbattery or whatever whack job website you want, but I think this might be something slightly more to do with increasing poverty (across all ages).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/15/Real_After_Tax_Income_Changes_1979-2004.png/800px-Real_After_Tax_Income_Changes_1979-2004.png

The stubbornly high unemployment rate is also playing a dramatic factor, obviously, and has hit the lower income brackets harder than most.

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
actually, freezing soc sec benefits, cutting medicaid and food stamps are all pretty big hits to the poor and the sorta-poor, thanks to the pelosi and reed regime...

poverty has pretty much gotten worse at about the same rate the world economy has gotten worse...

it's the world wide economic recession that is putting people in the poorhouse, not obama (although he doesn't appear to have helped a great deal)...

and, not only would no-one have believed you 10 years ago, they probably won't believe how much worse it's going to get, regardless of what obama and the next president do...

Are we still going get high speed trains?

Amnorix
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
and this, of course (unemployment data).

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/LNS14000000_106807_1299618830443.gif

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
The stubbornly high unemployment rate is also playing a dramatic factor, obviously, and has hit the lower income brackets harder than most.

So why does the media keep telling us it's getting better? Why did the Obama administration just say that his policies are responsible for the increase in employment on Friday?

Why do you keep lying and calling me names?

Chief Henry
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Did they change the way the gov't figures the unemployement rate ? Anyone ?

Saul Good
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Maybe declaring war on those who employ the middle and lower class isn't good public policy.

Cave Johnson
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM

I'm sure that the fact that the great recession began in December 2007, or a full 15 months before the President took office, or that unemployment (and the resulting poverty) are lagging indicators, don't mean anything to you.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Where did all that stimulus money go? Ribs and Wagu steaks?i don't know if any of it went to benefits for the disadvantaged, but most of those children in poverty didn't get any ribs or steaks...

go bowe
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Are we still going get high speed trains?probably... :huh: :huh: :huh:

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm sure that the fact that the great recession began in December 2007

So wait, now it's Bush's fault.

Didn't the liberals in this thread just tell me I can't blame Obama?

:drool:

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Did they change the way the gov't figures the unemployement rate ? Anyone ?

We've got free healthcare now. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

go bowe
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Maybe declaring war on those who employ the middle and lower class isn't good public policy.well, that depends on what the meaning of is is...

declaring war to one man is another man's good public policy...

what is war, anyway?

raising taxes to clinton era rates or eisenhower rates?

and how will it matter, this declaring war, since the house is now republican?

Brock
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Poor people should stop having kids.

The Mad Crapper

So thats the reason why unemployment is so high?

I didn't realize children have parents old enough to be collecting SS, either.

go bowe
I'm sure that the fact that the great recession began in December 2007, or a full 15 months before the President took office, or that unemployment (and the resulting poverty) are lagging indicators, don't mean anything to you.pfffft...

this is chiefs planet, everything is a lagging indicator...

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Poor people should stop having kids.

I agree but alot of the people profiled in the 60 minutes piece weren't poor until the economy went south--- they became poor.

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:53 PM
pfffft...

this is chiefs planet, everything is a lagging indicator...

I can't believe that you're not willing to acknowledge that Obama's policies have taken a bad situation and made it worse.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM
So thats the reason why unemployment is so high?

I didn't realize children have parents old enough to be collecting SS, either.disability benefits, not retirement...

and unemployment is high because of the world wide recession and to a lesser extent the exporting of jobs, not because of benefit cuts to the poor...

i guess i don't follow you (which is a good thing because compared to you, i'm just another libtard)...

Bewbies
03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
i don't know if any of it went to benefits for the disadvantaged, but most of those children in poverty didn't get any ribs or steaks...

You've never worked at a grocery store?

My brother used to tell me how poor people would come through the line with ramen noodles, generic brand cereal, mac and cheese, bread and bologna all the time. These people paid with cash.

Then another group would come through the line. They'd have a cart full of steak, seafood, name brand everything, of course paying with food stamps.

People often mistake folks on food stamps as the one's who eat poorly, but it's the folks who make too much to live on food stamps but not enough to live well. Lower middle class.

Cave Johnson
So wait, now it's Bush's fault.

When the recession (as measured by economists/GDP) began isn't political, it's a fact.

go bowe
Poor people should stop having kids.see? that's why we need taxpayer funded abortions...

Cave Johnson
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM
see? that's why we need taxpayer funded abortions...

You get an abortion! You get an abortion!

Amnorix
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
So why does the media keep telling us it's getting better? Why did the Obama administration just say that his policies are responsible for the increase in employment on Friday?

Why do you keep lying and calling me names?

I never lie.

I call you names because, in my opinion, you are usually more interested in being an a-hole than in engaging in any kind of debate or analyzing the merits of the topic. If you quit carpet-bombing the board with drooling rants and upgrade the level of thought behind your posts, my insults will rapidly disappear. I don't insult the Dongers, Patteeu's, etc. of the board because they engage in rational debate. I'm glad to disagree without being disagreeable.

You invite being disagreeable, so I am.

The stubbornly high unemployment rate has recently started moving in the right direction, as it were, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been stubbornly high for quite a while. Hopefully it will continue to trend in the right direction, and for the right reasons (i.e. private employment versus public employment).

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 03:58 PM
disability benefits, not retirement...

and unemployment is high because of the world wide recession and to a lesser extent the exporting of jobs, not because of benefit cuts to the poor...

i guess i don't follow you (which is a good thing because compared to you, i'm just another libtard)...

I don't follow you, either. What does anything here you said have to do with the point? Are you saying it's the worlds fault, not Obama's?

What has he been doing for two years? Besides Golf and Beatlemania parties?

go bowe
03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I can't believe that you're not willing to acknowledge that Obama's policies have taken a bad situation and made it worse.yes, i'm willing to admit to a lot of things...

i think the world wide recession is very bad but whatever obama may be doing or not doing doesn't make that much difference in the overall scheme of things...

see? i just admitted that obama's policies are not particularly effective when it comes to the economy...

but who knows, maybe it would be even worse without obama's contributions...

go bowe
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
You get an abortion! You get an abortion!i would if it would help me lose weight...

Cave Johnson
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't follow you, either. What does anything here you said have to do with the point? Are you saying it's the worlds fault, not Obama's?

What has he been doing for two years? Besides Golf and Beatlemania parties?

Where's that hardworking W fellow when we need him?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4728085-503544.html

bowener
03-08-2011, 04:05 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4728085-503544.html

Jesus H Fucking Christ. I forgot all about that shit.

googlegoogle
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Blame the rich- They stole all the poor's money!

bowener
03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
There sure is a lot of Full Retard in this thread.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM

What has he been doing for two years? Besides Golf and Beatlemania parties?no, i'm saying it's mainly the fault of the world economy and that obama's golf outings did not have that much effect, although it does seem that his policies haven't really helped all that much...

go bowe
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4728085-503544.html ROFL ROFL ROFL

The Mad Crapper
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
At what point do we start holding B.O. responsible for shit staying bad or getting worse? Just give me a date at which point I'm allowed to criticize the moonbat messiah.

WV
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
At what point do we start holding B.O. responsible for shit staying bad or getting worse? Just give me a date at which point I'm allowed to criticize the moonbat messiah.

This does not compute.....it's all Bush's fault and always will be, why can't you see that! BO does no wrong.

Brock
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
see? that's why we need taxpayer funded sterilizations...

fyp

Bump
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
This is America, if you don't make over $200K, you deserve to die.

go bowe
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
At what point do we start holding B.O. responsible for shit staying bad or getting worse? Just give me a date at which point I'm allowed to criticize the moonbat messiah.i don't think you need a date...

you've been doing a good job of criticizing the big o for awhile now...

go bowe
03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
fypnaw, we need to save sterilization for the really bad ones, like hootie and ladairis...

The Mad Crapper
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Obama Praises Pelosi at DCCC FundraiserBy Melanie Starkey
Roll Call Staff
March 8, 2011, 9 p.m.

President Barack Obama had plenty of praise for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi at a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser Tuesday night in Boston.

Obama welcomed the California Democrat at the gathering of 152 Democratic donors as “someone who’s going to go down as one of the greatest Speakers in our history,” according to a pool report. Pelosi was Speaker from 2007 through 2010.

“Not only were we able to get this economy going again ... but under Nancy’s leadership we were able to achieve historic health care legislation that over the last 15, 20 years will end up benefiting millions of families across the country, [and] we were able to get ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ repealed,” Obama said, adding that Congress under Pelosi expanded investments in clean energy, infrastructure and education.

“We didn’t just rescue the economy, we put it on the strongest footing for the future,” he said.

:drool:

http://www.rollcall.com/news/-203969-1.html

Really?
When Speaker Pelosi took over Congress the national deficit was $162 billion. When she exited in January 2011 it was at $1.29 Trillion dollars. Barack Obama tripled the national deficit in his first year after the stimulus passed. The Pelosi-Obama regime nearly matched it his second year. This year the deficit will be even higher.

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/obama-deficit-2011.jpg
This chart was updated to reflect the recent news that the deficit this year will reach $1.65 trillion.

The democrats doubled the unemployment rate from where it was when they took over Congress.

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/obama-jobs1.jpg

Then there’s this… The federal government accumulated more new debt– $3.22 trillion ($3,220,103,625,307.29)—during the tenure of the Pelosi 111th Congress than it did during the first 100 Congresses combined.

And, don’t forget that she rammed through Obama’s nationalized (except for Maine) healthcare bill on a straight party-line vote.

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/03/obama-pelosi-will-go-down-as-one-of-greatest-speakers-in-our-history/

mlyonsd
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
“Not only were we able to get this economy going again ... but under Nancy’s leadership we were able to achieve historic health care legislation that over the last 15, 20 years will end up benefiting millions of families across the country, [and] we were able to get ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ repealed,” Obama said, adding that Congress under Pelosi expanded investments in clean energy, infrastructure and education.

“We didn’t just rescue the economy, we put it on the strongest footing for the future,” he said.

Please tell me he didn't really say that. Wow. Just, wow.

I think the job must be getting to him. He's delusional.

go bowe
03-09-2011, 01:07 PM

I think the job must be getting to him. He's delusional.nah, he's not delusional...

sportsshrink is delusional...

the big o is just a politician talking political-speak...

The Mad Crapper
03-10-2011, 07:01 AM

I think the job must be getting to him. He's delusional.

He had another party last night--- the occasion? A Bulls vs Bobcats game. Today he kicks off his anti-bullying campaign.

The Mad Crapper
03-14-2011, 05:34 PM
"Now is the time to come together and save or create thousands of new, green jobs!"

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Coin_ExactChange_160.gif

Hopey Change™

ClevelandBronco
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Every once in a while the spam filter fails. Got this one today:

"Dearest One,

Good day to you and hope you are in good condition of health? I am miss. Sarah David from Cote D'ivoire , just now I go through your profile and am willing to establish long lasting business relationship with you.

Really , I do not know you neither met you anywhere but , I need your full cooperation and assistance concerning my inherited sum of (Five million United stated dollars) for investment in your country because , the present political crises going on here are making us afraid and I don't want to loose my inherited fund and my life.

Do get back to me as soon as you read this mail in other to explain you more details concerning the assistance I called for.

Thanks for your anticipation and waiting for your urgent response.
Yours Ever,
Miss.Sarah David."

I know it's bullshit because we're not really in much better condition than Côte d'Ivoire. It's only a matter of time before Sally Struthers shows up for a photo op with American kids with flies in their eyes.

The Mad Crapper
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
It's only a matter of time before Sally Struthers shows up for a photo op with American kids with flies in their eyes.

LMAO

Ugly Duck
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
yeah, let's cut benefits to the poor

Don't laugh, that really is the Republican solution. Make the super rich uber super ultra rich & maybe some scraps will trickle down here instead of trickling to China & India. Everybody now, bend over & squeeeeeeel like a little piggy!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gLN3QoN-q8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gLN3QoN-q8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

penchief
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
It's Bush's fault.

No, it's the fault of unions.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
naw, we need to save sterilization for the really bad ones, like hootie and ladairis...

Not to derail, but am I the only one here who thinks hootie is great? He's out there sometimes, but he cracks me up. I enjoy people who are completely comfortable in their own skin, and hootie is the embodiment of that.

go bowe
03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Not to derail, but am I the only one here who thinks hootie is great? He's out there sometimes, but he cracks me up. I enjoy people who are completely comfortable in their own skin, and hootie is the embodiment of that.yes... o:-) o:-) o:-)

Iowanian
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
see? that's why we need taxpayer funded abortions...

I guess you'd be the first to agree that having children with 4 different partners would probably make one a burden on society in some capacity huh.

Our society makes to too easy to "be" poor. Generational poverty is a disease that needs to be cured and making it easy to stay home and be comfortable as a non-producer American is a problem.

I think each community should have a task list where able bodied persons have to show up and put in some sort of service for their handouts(excluding elderly and legitimate handicapped). Instead of letting people buy 50 gallon drums of Doritos....provide poor families with a selection of 6-8 nutritious meals....dried, prepackaged meals that just need boiled in some water to feed a family of say, 6.

if you don't think that's "good enough" and you'd like some Pepsi...find a way to earn some money like the rest of society.

Chief Henry
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I guess you'd be the first to agree that having children with 4 different partners would probably make one a burden on society in some capacity huh.

Our society makes to too easy to "be" poor. Generational poverty is a disease that needs to be cured and making it easy to stay home and be comfortable as a non-producer American is a problem.

I think each community should have a task list where able bodied persons have to show up and put in some sort of service for their handouts(excluding elderly and legitimate handicapped). Instead of letting people buy 50 gallon drums of Doritos....provide poor families with a selection of 6-8 nutritious meals....dried, prepackaged meals that just need boiled in some water to feed a family of say, 6.

if you don't think that's "good enough" and you'd like some Pepsi...find a way to earn some money like the rest of society.

...........doritos are worth more in the "crack exchange"

healthpellets
03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
alright. serious question time.

i come from a small town of about 10k people in south-central missouri. life is cheap down there. there is no "bad" part of town. there's a poor-er part, but not a bad (i.e. drugs and violence) part.

now, kids from the small town leave and want to get to the big city to get their big break.

i'm wondering why families that are struggling in the city (i.e. min wage job, real POS neighborhood, but truly want something better) don't move to a small town to catch a break.

but they don't have any money to move...so don't pay rent for two months, save up enough to make two months of rent payments in your new town and go. but please send your old landlord a check when you get on your feet.

in my town, for instance, we had a wal-mart...the 2nd largest employer in the town. plenty of factory jobs. schools are decent. and the biggest/best hospital for 100 miles (important when we're talking about jobs).

now, a family of four could rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt in that town for $500 a month. assuming both parents are working full time at min wage, they can easily swing that. if you throw in federal subsidies, it's even easier.

everything (save for gas at times) is cheaper in a small town.

i'm just wondering why they don't want to move and make it easier to get ahead. to give their kids a little better shot.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 04:29 PM

i come from a small town of about 10k people in south-central missouri. life is cheap down there. there is no "bad" part of town. there's a poor-er part, but not a bad (i.e. drugs and violence) part.

now, kids from the small town leave and want to get to the big city to get their big break.

i'm wondering why families that are struggling in the city (i.e. min wage job, real POS neighborhood, but truly want something better) don't move to a small town to catch a break.

but they don't have any money to move...so don't pay rent for two months, save up enough to make two months of rent payments in your new town and go. but please send your old landlord a check when you get on your feet.

in my town, for instance, we had a wal-mart...the 2nd largest employer in the town. plenty of factory jobs. schools are decent. and the biggest/best hospital for 100 miles (important when we're talking about jobs).

now, a family of four could rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt in that town for $500 a month. assuming both parents are working full time at min wage, they can easily swing that. if you throw in federal subsidies, it's even easier.

i'm just wondering why they don't want to move and make it easier to get ahead. to give their kids a little better shot.

Some of those with ambition and intelligence do. As for the rest, well...

RJ
03-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Not that I have any evidence or would go to the trouble of finding a link, but I thought poverty and unemployment rates were higher in rural areas than urban areas.

healthpellets
03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Not that I have any evidence or would go to the trouble of finding a link, but I thought poverty and unemployment rates were higher in rural areas than urban areas.

unemployment rates are slightly higher in rural areas. though Jackson and my home county are similar.