PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Expectations for next year

Brianfo
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
This has not really been discussed. Last year we surprised, but next year we are in year 3 of "the process." What are your realistic expectations for next year? I think we take a step back, but still compete for the division crown. I am going to predict 10-6, and a wild card. Hope that I am wrong. Chiefs faithful, tell me how you see it.

Disclaimer: If repost, eat my ass with a spoon.

DA_T_84
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm gonna wait until the draft and free agency are over, so I actually know what holes we have.

KcMizzou
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
With the schedule we have next season, I think we could have a better team, and still end up with a worse record. 8-8... hopefully 9-7.

Count Zarth
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I'll be thrilled with 8-8. I don't see Pioli bringing in an impact pass rusher or wide receiver. Trying perhaps, but probably failing.

threebag02
03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTox_6z5DPVfOOQ2Ni4AT5cXg1VpIn3pBS2yDc79r-7a2bS1Ww9

KcMizzou
I'm gonna wait until the draft and free agency are over, so I actually know what holes we have.This too though... it's hard to get a feeling about things with so many changes coming up.

Nightfyre
I expect, if football is played next year, that the chiefs struggle to hit .500 and matt cassel is truly exposed. I also suspect haley loses his job, which would especially be a pity if he was against bringing in cassel. I like haley and think he is the real deal. I also suspect if we get a real nosetackle our defense looks a lot better. Our offensive line will not look good though.

Baconeater
Yes, it has been discussed. The schedule is brutal and we're going to get our shit pushed in.

Bwana
03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Lets start with a go, on an NFL season.

BigMeatballDave
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
8-8

KurtCobain
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Superbowl or bust.

No joke.

Crush
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
16-0 Lord of the Scabs

Direckshun
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
My guess is that if we can hit .500, we'll have arrived.

We will have competed and beaten a couple handfuls of good teams, and get a good pick in the middle of the 1st, and we're a season away from Super Bowl contention.

kaplin42
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I believe we have a major regression. Teams stack the line, and Charles gets stuffed like xmas turkey. With all the pressure sitting on Cassel to win us games, he proves once and for all that he can't take the pressure, can't look off his receiver, and can't make anything resembling an accurate pass. However, he can take unreasonable sacks, and he can rack up multiple intentional grounding penalties.

The defense comes out swinging, hitting people left and right and causing quite a ruckus. But after being on the field for 40-45 minutes every game for the first 8 games, they lose their burst because they are just worn out, and they start getting rail-roaded into the ground.

It sounds harsh, but look at our schedule next year. I see very little hope in it.

If I was Haley, I would be begging for a lock out at this point.

Brianfo
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm gonna wait until the draft and free agency are over, so I actually know what holes we have.

Trust the process.

LOL

Brianfo
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes, it has been discussed. The schedule is brutal and we're going to get our shit pushed in.

Prediction?? Mr negator.

el borracho
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I predict nothing meaningful will be accomplished until the Chiefs get an elite QB (and no one on the current roster comes close to qualifying).

milkman
03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
The upcoming season and the continued development of the Chiefs depends greatly on the resolution of the CBA.

The Chiefs have to address holes, aggressively, in free agency, and Cassel needs as much time to learn from Zorn as the offseason will allow.

Count Zarth
03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Think about this - we had virtually 0 injury problems last year besides Flowers.

What happens if Bowe, Charles or Hali miss 4 or 5 games next year? What about Dorsey? We have 0 depth at DE and in a year where we desperately need impact talent at OLB and WR, we can't afford to spend many resources on DE.

If the injury bug hits, we are going to be fucked, and thats what happens when you have a year like 2009 and follow it up with an "OK" 2010.

CrazyPhuD
03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't think we'll lose a game next year!

cabletech94
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
i for one, pray not to have my shit pushed back in.

ouchtown, population me, bro!

Brianfo
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
The upcoming season and the continued development of the Chiefs depends greatly on the resolution of the CBA.

The Chiefs have to address holes, aggressively, in free agency, and Cassel needs as much time to learn from Zorn as the offseason will allow.

Wow.

You just proved you dont have a fukn clue. Like the rest of us. But done
t worry, you're "winning."

bowener
03-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Think about this - we had virtually 0 injury problems last year besides Flowers.

What happens if Bowe, Charles or Hali miss 4 or 5 games next year? What about Dorsey? We have 0 depth at DE and in a year where we desperately need impact talent at OLB and WR, we can't afford to spend many resources on DE.

If the injury bug hits, we are going to be ****ed, and thats what happens when you have a year like 2009 and follow it up with an "OK" 2010.

One plus to having a team that is in great shape is a lot less injuries. Being in shape can't stave off serious injuries, though. I really hope it is another injury free (for the most part) season.

Dave Lane
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow.

Is this a cogent or rational thought? because if it is I missed something.

Bewbies
03-08-2011, 07:46 PM
We all know Cassel can't carry this team, so I'm putting our record on the defense. If we're vastly improved on D our record will show it, if not we'll be back in the top 10-12 picks again next year.

milkman
03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow.

Thanks for the insight.

But, tell me, what exactly did I say that proved I don't have a fucking clue?

Brianfo
03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the insight.

But, tell me, what exactly did I say that proved I don't have a ****ing clue?

The spew that comes out of your mouth. No secret, that I think you fail. Tonight, you proved it.

Count Zarth
03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
One plus to having a team that is in great shape is a lot less injuries. Being in shape can't stave off serious injuries, though. I really hope it is another injury free (for the most part) season.

I agree with that but even being in great shape, the lack of injuries we had last year was amazing.

milkman
03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
The spew that comes out of your mouth. No secret, that I think you fail. Tonight, you proved it.

Oh, I see.

You don't like me (whoever you are?), so you make an ass of yourself, with nothing to back up your claim that I don't have a clue.

Just Passin' By
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Wow.

http://futonreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/87665dude-wtf-posters1z.jpg

KurtCobain
03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey I'm winning too.

Chris Meck
03-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I think we're closer to being a really good defense than we are to being a really good offense.

We need a NT really bad, and an upgrade at one OLB position. Everywhere else is decent to good. A couple of guys away, and we could be a top notch defense.

IF we get a NT in free agency that's nfl starting material AND draft a youngster to split time/learn AND we get an upgrade at OLB, I think that could be a top 5 defense (assuming our youngsters continue to improve.)

So I'd say that IF we get those pieces, the defense could be good enough that we could win games with it. 9-7.
If we don't do those things? 4-12.

Tribal Warfare
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I would really love to say KC is going to improve overall, but Cassel is still the triggerman and will hold the Chiefs back from making any progress in the playoffs. We are in the Bono/Grbac era all over again.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
We have too good of young talent not to be better but I have a feeling Cassel will shit himself this year.

Idaho Chief'sChick
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Simular season as last year I do believe. But I wont be surprised to see us go 7-9 just typical. I do however think the AFC West will somewhat get it together. My bet is 12-4 ot 11-5 to win division.

HotRoute
03-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I have a feeling this years draft will make people either "buy in" or lose faith in this regime.

For me I think that the chiefs have many pieces in place to have a good year no matter who they play:

Charles/Jones - best rb's in the league
Bowe - put up crazy numbers last year (like Haleys wr's tend to do)
Oline - has shown huge improvements and added some decent depth

Hali - nuff said
Johnson - playing his best ball since college
Dorsey - developing quite nicely in the 3-4
Secondary - I for one never saw it coming, but the combination of flowers, Carr, berry, Lewis has my hopes high for the future.

With all that being said I for one think the chiefs have a legit shot to compete for another AFCW title. It's theirs to lose and with the electricity of arrowhead back (7 home wins last yr) coupled with the unpredictability of the NFL, anything can happen.

11-5

MoreLemonPledge
03-09-2011, 12:52 AM
18-0.

Tribal Warfare
03-09-2011, 01:01 AM
21-0.

FYP

Chiefs=Good
03-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Really i see it as a win, win.

1) we win 8+ games and show improvement, which should allow us to make a run a year or two after.

2) We lose games and likely Cassell is exposed. meaning we look to draft a qb with a high pick next year.

Rudy lost the toss
03-09-2011, 01:17 AM
A step back.... People will freak out and call for Pioli/Haley's head.

6-10

they won't be as bad as their record, and ultimately they will be rewarded for sticking it out with Pioli, Haley, and the young talent on this team for 2012 and beyond

Phobia
03-09-2011, 03:02 AM
I expect they'll go 6-10. 6 games will have been won by scabs.

Thig Lyfe
03-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Super Bowl champs. But only if we trade for Thiggy!!!

michaelj_58
03-09-2011, 03:28 AM
this must of really happened to you!!!!

spanky 52
03-09-2011, 04:42 AM
The schedule is going to be tough. Pioli needs to have a good draft and free agency. I could see a losing season, maybe not bad enough to get us in the Luck sweepstakes but bad enough to end Cassel's time in KC.

luv
03-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Which division (besides AFC West, duh) are we playing next year? We had a great record this year, but we played the NFC West, whose champ was 7-9. Record-wise, we won't be as good. I'll, of course, be happy if we could break even.

Old Dog
03-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Which division (besides AFC West, duh) are we playing next year?
AFC East and NFC North

Home games: Green Bay, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Miami, Buffalo, Oakland, Denver, San Diego
Away Games: NY Jets, New England, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Oakland, Denver, San Diego

MOhillbilly
03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
win a goddamn playoff game....... & not have the stadium half empty.

mother****er i just want this club to make a run.

a real mother ****in run. not that 2000s shit not the mid 90s either. A real ****in run where the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS SHOW UP AND ARE CONSIDERED KILLERS! STONE MAULERS!

not the pussies we have been for 17-18 years.

SNR
03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
The spew that comes out of your mouth. No secret, that I think you fail. Tonight, you proved it.:spock:

SNR
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I say this just after the Raiders fucked themselves in the ass last year, but if we have a good division record we'll be fine.

Forget about losing against the Patriots, Colts, Packers, and all those other good teams. They don't matter. We were 2-4 against our division last year. That clearly showed that we weren't ready.

If our division record is at least 5-1, it will show that we can win tough road games and close out "must win" games (well, bragging rights games anyway). If we win those, we should be a good enough team to beat several other good teams at home and maybe even win a couple on the road against the lesser teams in the NFC North (Green Bay is the only insanely difficult team in that division anyway).

But yeah, tough to say for sure. We need to shore up depth and still have a LOT of holes to fill (like QB, for example). It's going to be tough, but there's absolutely no reason why we can't make 9-7/10-6

Old Dog
03-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm curious to know how they would decide the other two games if they do decide to go to 18.

ReynardMuldrake
03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I have a feeling we'll come in 2nd in the division and miss the playoffs. I'm predicting 7-9.

FAX
03-09-2011, 08:57 AM
With the schedule we have next season, I think we could have a better team, and still end up with a worse record. 8-8... hopefully 9-7.

I think this is probably correct.

On the other hand, we might just go all the way, run the table, and bring the Lombardi back where it belongs after a 50 year absence.

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a Chiefs fan.

FAX

talastan
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
It all hinges on Cassel this season. With a legitimate QB coach and hopefully another WR that will help him out other than Bowe; he will decide this season. I feel secure with the development of our D, but with the type of defenses we will play this year, Cassel will have to make or break IMO. No easy NFCW teams this time. I just hope that if we end up choking this next season we choke enough to allow us to be in the Luck Sweepstakes.

FAX
03-09-2011, 09:48 AM
It all hinges on Cassel this season. With a legitimate QB coach and hopefully another WR that will help him out other than Bowe; he will decide this season. I feel secure with the development of our D, but with the type of defenses we will play this year, Cassel will have to make or break IMO. No easy NFCW teams this time. I just hope that if we end up choking this next season we choke enough to allow us to be in the Luck Sweepstakes.

I fear that Cassel was born to choke. I saw all I needed to see in that Ravens game.

I've been anti-Cassel then I was pro-Cassel then I was conflicted-Cassel then I went back to pro-Cassel for a game or two then I went all the way back to anti-Cassel again.

I think it's best for my mental health just to hate the guy and leave it at that.

FAX

kaplin42
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
AFC East and NFC North

Home games: Green Bay, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Miami, Buffalo, Oakland, Denver, San Diego
Away Games: NY Jets, New England, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Oakland, Denver, San Diego

On the high upside, I see 7 maybe 8 wins in there. Realisticly, more like 4-6.

Inspector
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM

The latest pick up line at the gay bar (NTTAWWT):

"May I push your stool in?"

Rausch
03-09-2011, 12:09 PM

I don't think our starting talent is as big a problem as many think. We have the talent to be competitive every week looking at our starters. Problem is we have almost no depth at any position.

No depth at all at QB, WR, NT/DT, and I can't say I like a whole lot at OL. Any time a starter misses a game due to injury it seriously limits our chances to win.

To that you add the lack of legitimate starters at WR, RT, NT, C, and probably QB and there's a hell of a lot of work to do...

mcaj22
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't think our starting talent is as big a problem as many think. We have the talent to be competitive every week looking at our starters. Problem is we have almost no depth at any position.

No depth at all at QB, WR, NT/DT, and I can't say I like a whole lot at OL. Any time a starter misses a game due to injury it seriously limits our chances to win.

To that you add the lack of legitimate starters at WR, RT, NT, C, and probably QB and there's a hell of a lot of work to do...

lol you opened with you dont think starting talent is as big of a problem as many think but then you go on to point out that going into the 2011 the Chiefs will have to find STARTING TALENT at at least 5/6 (some very important) positions going into the season.

If it's all rookies filling those starting voids then I'm certainly considering this a rebuilding year. If they can add some veterans or find some talent growing on trees that can come in and help us to continue to be competitive now, by all means, but we have a lot of holes this offseason with the departure of/ and parting ways with a handful of stopgap players/veterans/over the hill guys.

Rausch
03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
lol you opened with you dont think starting talent is as big of a problem as many think but then you go on to point out that going into the 2011 the Chiefs will have to find STARTING TALENT at at least 5/6 (some very important) positions going into the season.

No team is going to have studs at every position. Every team needs to upgrade here or there. I listed where I thought we needed upgrades. 5 or 6 guys is not a ton of holes .

The problem is we have nothing behind them...

BigCatDaddy
03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty excited. I think Pioli goes at and picks up some very good FA's this year in the off season. The process has taken it's course and we have young talent entering the prime of their careers and key positions so it's time to make a run at it by picking up some big time FA's to complete the team.

It's a new phase of the process.

bevischief
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM

This.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Right now, 9 - 7.

Ask me again after 1) we know we're having a season, 2) the draft, 3) Free Agency.

BossChief
03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Id like to wait and see what pieces we add before throwing out a real opinion here but I can say this...if we played that schedule last year we would have been lucky to win 6 games.

milkman
03-09-2011, 06:01 PM
No team is going to have studs at every position. Every team needs to upgrade here or there. I listed where I thought we needed upgrades. 5 or 6 guys is not a ton of holes .

The problem is we have nothing behind them...

I've said before that I believe we need to address 3 starting positions in free agency, preferably WR among them.

If we can do that, and have a good draft with a couple of potential starters and added depth, we can compete.

Reerun_KC
03-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Id like to wait and see what pieces we add before throwing out a real opinion here but I can say this...if we played that schedule last year we would have been lucky to win 6 games.

I agree with most of this. But I am going 10-6 again... Maybe 11-5... I am just having a hard time trying to be all whiney and negative just to fit in here and bash Cassel.

Its so over played its unreal...

Reerun_KC
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
one of the biggest issues we have is RB, With Jones falling off at the end of the year. We have to find a back to compliment Charles...

Charles isnt durable enough and puts the ball on the carpet way too much to be a featured back.

I loved the way they were used last year, but we need someone to replace Jones with. Otherwise its going to be a very long season running the ball.