PDA

View Full Version : Media NPR running damage control

HonestChieffan
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Yesterday the gal in charge made a big deal over how NPR is not liberal biased going so far as to challenge anyone to show it...

Then today a video of one of the top fundraises was cutting deals based on how they would cover a story to get donations....its got NPR peeing in circles and further adds fuel to the need to defund this bunch once and for all.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/08/134358398/in-video-npr-exec-slams-tea-party-questions-need-for-federal-funds?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

CNN coverage: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/08/activist-says-he-targeted-npr-because-of-juan-williams-firing/

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Can't wait for you to post a similar thread about FOX's oral sex they perform on the privileged elite....

:thumb:

HonestChieffan
03-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Kotter....NPR is the source sweetheart. Fox hate aside, NPR looks like ass over this. Fox didnt have a thing to do with it.

HonestChieffan
03-08-2011, 09:58 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/08/republicans-tee-off-on-npr-after-latest-o’keefe-video/

NPR will face some major issues. Even senate dems will have a hard time with this.

blaise
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Can't wait for you to post a similar thread about FOX's oral sex they perform on the privileged elite....

So, you'll be going into the FOX news threads and talking about this then?

petegz28
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
If someone on Fox did this it would be wall-wall news on every outlet.

Saul Good
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
So, you'll be going into the FOX news threads and talking about this then?

The current Fox News thread isn't going so well for Mr. Kotter.

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM

He should create a thread calling for the defunding of FOX?

Okay.

LiveSteam
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
BY BY Sesame street. Zoom, Clifford the big red dog

blaise
03-08-2011, 10:38 PM
If someone on Fox did this it would be wall-wall news on every outlet.

Jon Stewart would get a month's worth of material from it.

HonestChieffan
03-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Jon Stewart would get a month's worth of material from it.

Stewart could do repeats of the same thing for 30 days in a row and his viewers wouldn't notice.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
BY BY Sesame street. Zoom, Clifford the big red dog

You are the poster child for why we need more money spent on educational television.

HonestChieffan
03-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Weekly Standard says the dude has been sacked.....

NPR Exec Fired...

From NPR's site...

Update at 10:30 p.m. ET. Ron Schiller's resignation is now effective immediately, NPR spokeswoman Dana Davis Rehm said late Tuesday. Earlier, Rehm said Schiller had been "placed on administrative leave"

blaise
03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Stewart could do repeats of the same thing for 30 days in a row and his viewers wouldn't notice.

Crowd: WHOOOOOOOO!

Jon: Now wait. Wait. (chuckles to himself)

Crowd: WHOOOOOOOOO!

fan4ever
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Wait a second...NPR is biased? But they talk in such low, soft, civilized voices.

LiveSteam
03-08-2011, 11:49 PM
You are the poster child for why we need more money spent on educational television.

You may have something their.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2011, 12:01 AM

LMAO

Chief Henry
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Weekly Standard says the dude has been sacked.....

NPR Exec Fired...

From NPR's site...

Update at 10:30 p.m. ET. Ron Schiller's resignation is now effective immediately, NPR spokeswoman Dana Davis Rehm said late Tuesday. Earlier, Rehm said Schiller had been "placed on administrative leave"

Schiller reminds me of some of the Liberals at this place.

Donger
03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
WASHINGTON – NPR president and CEO Vivian Schiller has resigned in the wake of comments by a fellow executive that angered conservatives and renewed calls to end federal funding for public broadcasting.

The chairman of NPR's board of directors announced Wednesday morning that he has accepted Schiller's resignation, effective immediately.

NPR media correspondent David Folkenflik said in a tweet that Schiller was forced out by the board.

A hidden-camera video of an NPR executive calling the tea party racist and saying the network would be better off without federal money has led to that executive's immediate resignation.

blaise
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
"Ron, we have to suspend you, all the racist white ignorant rural morons are upset and they're going to pressure Washington into taking our money. I agree with everything you said, but we have to think of the bigger picture."

HonestChieffan
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Eject!!!! Eject!!!!

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/6/6b/Ejectionseat.jpg

Amnorix
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Public support for broadcasting was much more important back when we had, literally, 5 channels on the television, etc. The current budgetary situation does not allow for such luxuries, nor is it at all clear to me that NPR wouldn't survive more or less intact even without its public funding.

So, sadly, it needs to be defunded.

But we also need to cut military spending and revamp a number of other programs. The budgetary reform we need is so dramatic that it can't just come out of Republican's pet peeves. EVERYONE needs to be unhappy to some extent.

Iowanian
03-09-2011, 09:50 AM
They should stick to talking about those lovely Schweaty Balls.

Saul Good
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Public support for broadcasting was much more important back when we had, literally, 5 channels on the television, etc. The current budgetary situation does not allow for such luxuries, nor is it at all clear to me that NPR wouldn't survive more or less intact even without its public funding.

But we also need to cut military spending and revamp a number of other programs. The budgetary reform we need is so dramatic that it can't just come out of Republican's pet peeves. EVERYONE needs to be unhappy to some extent.

I agree.

I'd cut at least 10% across the board just to start. I'd be willing to do it gradually, something along the lines of 2.5% per year for 4 years or something.

mlyonsd
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
WASHINGTON Ė NPR president and CEO Vivian Schiller has resigned in the wake of comments by a fellow executive that angered conservatives and renewed calls to end federal funding for public broadcasting.

The chairman of NPR's board of directors announced Wednesday morning that he has accepted Schiller's resignation, effective immediately.

NPR media correspondent David Folkenflik said in a tweet that Schiller was forced out by the board.

A hidden-camera video of an NPR executive calling the tea party racist and saying the network would be better off without federal money has led to that executive's immediate resignation.

Karma can be a b*tch.

HonestChieffan
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Update at 10:25 a.m. ET: As we reported earlier, NPR media correspondent David Folkenflik was on Morning Edition earlier and said that he's been told Schiller was forced out.

This could be the meltdown of the year...Schiller cans Juan Williams, she gets the support of the board, a VP sells out how stories get covered and says the Jews control the media...he gets das boot....now Schiller gets outed...and shes gonna put up a stink.

IMO.....to bad NPR will get across the board gutted because they do a lot of good stuff. But, if this is what it takes to clean the corners then its NPRs fault for not watching their own house.

fan4ever
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM

So, in comparing NPR to Fox, this is your admission that NPR is biased, like you believe Fox to be? I'm good with that.

ROYC75
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM

:LOL:

ROYC75
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Schiller reminds me of some of the Liberals at this place.

WORD.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
So, in comparing NPR to Fox, this is your admission that NPR is biased, like you believe Fox to be? I'm good with that.

Sure, both are biased; I'm admitting it, but a whole lot of FOX fans refuse to do the same.

Both have bias; I would, however, argue FOX's bias and tactics are more outrageous IMHO.

mnchiefsguy
03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
All of the news organizations are biased in one way or another:

MSNBC, NPR---very very left leaning
CNN-left leaning
Fox- right leaning

I would agree that Fox leans to the right about as much as CNN does to the left. I think NPR and MSNBC lean much more to the left than even CNN, and are certainly more biased than Fox.

Lzen
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Agreed.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM

CNN-left leaning
Fox- right leaning

I would agree that Fox leans to the right about as much as CNN does to the left. I think NPR and MSNBC lean much more to the left than even CNN, and are certainly more biased than Fox.

In terms of journalistic ethics, FOX and MSNBC are as outrageous as I can imagine any outlet being....and somehow, are still considered to be MSM by so many. They are both complete jokes as "journalists"--and are mirror opposites of each other, by and large.

mnchiefsguy
03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
In terms of journalistic ethics, FOX and MSNBC are as outrageous as I can imagine any outlet being....and somehow, are still considered to be MSM by so many. They are both complete jokes as "journalists"--and are mirror opposites of each other, by and large.

Sorry, I just can't agree with this. I see Fox as much closer to CNN. Does Fox have some ultra-right commentators? Sure they do. But their shows do not claim to be legit journalistic endeavors, as Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow constantly did and do. MSNBC is in its own little world.

Lzen
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM

CNN-left leaning
Fox- right leaning

This is true. But what he doesn't acknowledge is that most of the mainstream media leans left. Fox is just one right leaning network. Of course there is also talk radio. But even between those, there isn't anywhere near as much right leaning as there are left leaning media. Most major tv networks, newspapers, and magazines are left leaning. But the problem is that the left believe that they're centrists rather than leftists.

NewChief
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm fine with them cutting funding, just so the righties will stop bitching about it.

NPR should be able to fund itself, as it provides a high-quality, valuable product.

mnchiefsguy
03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
This is true. But what he doesn't acknowledge is that most of the mainstream media leans left. Fox is just one right leaning network. Of course there is also talk radio. But even between those, there isn't anywhere near as much right leaning as there are left leaning media. Most major tv networks, newspapers, and magazines are left leaning. But the problem is that the left believe that they're centrists rather than leftists.

I agree. The left leaning media has a problem with admitting it is left leaning. Especially MSNBC, which has no idea how radical they really are.

NewChief
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Yesterday the gal in charge made a big deal over how NPR is not liberal biased going so far as to challenge anyone to show it...

Then today a video of one of the top fundraises was cutting deals based on how they would cover a story to get donations....its got NPR peeing in circles and further adds fuel to the need to defund this bunch once and for all.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/08/134358398/in-video-npr-exec-slams-tea-party-questions-need-for-federal-funds?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

CNN coverage: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/08/activist-says-he-targeted-npr-because-of-juan-williams-firing/

By the way, NPR was not "peeing in circles." I listened to a news report on it this morning. It was pretty much surreal how they reported it because it was so dispassionate, objective, and newsy in the tone and content. It was pretty impressive, as is most of NPR's coverage of just about anything.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm fine with them cutting funding, just so the righties will stop bitching about it.

NPR should be able to fund itself, as it provides a high-quality, valuable product.

Agreed. It's a high quality product--albeit, strongly positioned on the left. IMO, journalistically situated about like the Wall Street Journal on the right. Their investigative perspectives, commentary, and choice of subjects is where they make up for their lack of "passion."

LOCOChief
03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Agreed. It's a high quality product--albeit, strongly positioned on the left. IMO, journalistically situated about like the Wall Street Journal on the right. Their investigative perspectives, commentary, and choice of subjects is where they make up for their lack of "passion."

"high quality product"?

Again, like Fox right?

HonestChieffan
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
By the way, NPR was not "peeing in circles." I listened to a news report on it this morning. It was pretty much surreal how they reported it because it was so dispassionate, objective, and newsy in the tone and content. It was pretty impressive, as is most of NPR's coverage of just about anything.

When you can the VP of fund raising and the CEO in a one 24 hour period and go into chaos, it may just look like peeing in circles. Im sure the ship is on course and we can go back to listening to the band.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
"high quality product"?

Again, like Fox right?

Ask any journalism professor--even honest conservative ones will tell you the truth.

HonestChieffan
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Ask any journalism professor--even honest conservative ones will tell you the truth.

A journalism prof will separate the news portion from the opinion portion. Then focus on something of substance.

LOCOChief
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Academia for the truth? No thanks, Iíll take my chances on my own. Iíve been raised to be a thinking man and my knowledge has been acquired through experience.

If you need some truthful enlightenment Iíd be glad to offer it up, but Iím pretty much good to go.

And by the way, I'm also an honest concervative, and you're not.

Mr. Kotter
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Academia for the truth? No thanks, Iíll take my chances on my own. Iíve been raised to be a thinking man and my knowledge has been acquired through experience.

If you need some truthful enlightenment Iíd be glad to offer it up, but Iím pretty much good to go.

Welcome to post 1980s talk radio "we're-gonna-balance-mainstream-media," turned to "Screw it, we'll just do exactly what they did for so many years. Only much, worse. Heh!" Era.

mnchiefsguy
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome to post 1980s talk radio "we're-gonna-balance-mainstream-media," turned to "Screw it, we'll just do exactly what they did for so many years. Only much, worse. Heh!" Era.

I think you would have a tough time proving Fox is "much worse" than the well-entrenched and far more experienced liberal media base.

Jenson71
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Academia for the truth? No thanks, I’ll take my chances on my own. I’ve been raised to be a thinking man and my knowledge has been acquired through experience.

If you need some truthful enlightenment I’d be glad to offer it up, but I’m pretty much good to go.

I will take some truthful enlightenment. I have two questions for you: What makes us happy? and Can politics help us become happy (why or why not)?

Jenson71
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM

What makes NPR "very very left leaning?"

LOCOChief
I will take some truthful enlightenment. I have two questions for you: What makes us happy? and Can politics help us become happy (why or why not)?

Great questions, I'll take a stab at it.
1. each other
2. No, because the nature of politics is divisive and therefore no more "each other"

Jenson71
What makes NPR "very very left leaning?"

I'll open that question up to everyone.

Jenson71
03-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Great questions, I'll take a stab at it.
1. each other
2. No, because the nature of politics is divisive and therefore no more "each other"

Alright. But, to play devil's advocate, isn't politics really a method of how we relate to each other? And is this relation always adversarial? Doesn't politics actually bring us closer together?

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I'll open that question up to everyone.

Personally..I hav eno idea...WTF listens to Radio? It's a dead medium.

LOCOChief
03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Alright. But, to play devil's advocate, isn't politics really a method of how we relate to each other? And is this relation always adversarial? Doesn't politics actually bring us closer together?

can you think of an instance where politics has brought us closer together?

Jenson71
03-09-2011, 03:51 PM
can you think of an instance where politics has brought us closer together?

The American Revolution?

NewChief
03-09-2011, 05:11 PM
"high quality product"?

Again, like Fox right?

NPR isn't a 24 hour news network like Fox News. The News is only a fraction of what NPR offers its listeners.

The Mad Crapper
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
The American Revolution?

You ever heard of Tories?

Saul Good
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
The American Revolution?

That depends on how you define "us". I would say that it did the exact opposite. It completely divided the "us" that was Britain and the colonists into two separate entities. Both factions were galvanized unto themselves, but it certainly didn't unite the larger group.

Jenson71
03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
That depends on how you define "us". I would say that it did the exact opposite. It completely divided the "us" that was Britain and the colonists into two separate entities. Both factions were galvanized unto themselves, but it certainly didn't unite the larger group.

Sure, it depends.

The Mad Crapper
03-10-2011, 06:45 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/stanley-anns-baby.jpg

Chief Henry
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

CNN-left leaning
Fox- right leaning

Very good discription :thumb: