PDA

View Full Version : Science Ever thought of donating your body to Science?

Buehler445
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Somebody made a comment the other day about it and it really got me thinking. I don't know if I could do it, but I'm pretty sure it is my fear of thinking about my own death.

What about you?

Shogun
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Seems to be my plan if I need money quick when I can't donate enough Plasma

Phobia
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I've donated it to Science teachers. Close enough?

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
The idea kind of creeps me out. Maybe if I lost a few more pounds I'd be more accepting of the idea.

There's an interesting non-fiction book called Stiff by Mary Roach about dead people and their bodies.

Der Flöprer
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
If they'll pay me in advance, I'll sign on the dotted line today.

KcMizzou
03-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I figure mine'll be used up by the time I'm done with it.

milkman
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
The idea kind of creeps me out. Maybe if I lost a few more pounds I'd be more accepting of the idea.

At that point, I'm pretty sure embarrasment will be the least of your concerns.

listopencil
03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
It won't matter, I'll be dead. If Science can use my corpse so be it.

WV
03-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm an organ donar, but I'm not sure about donating my whole body. I'm still torn on cremation vs burial, so this is another variable......thanks.

Jenson71
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
At that point, I'm pretty sure embarrasment will be the least of your concerns.

You under-estimate my vanity.

ZootedGranny
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
It won't matter, I'll be dead. If Science can use my corpse so be it.

Exactly.

DMAC
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Ever thought of donating Cassel to the CFL?

cdcox
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I actually know someone who did this. I didn't embed due to the graphic nature of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkNdCSW1n_g&feature=fvwrel

ClevelandBronco
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
"With the kind of shape I'm in, you could donate my body to science fiction." - Rodney Dangerfield

Fishpicker
03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
this is what I'm doing. screw paying thousands of dollars for a plot/casket/stone.

BigMeatballDave
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
My parents are. They already have it set up thru Wright State U.

Buehler445
03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Does it freak anyone out? Or am I just a pussy that is afraid to die?

BigMeatballDave
03-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Does it freak anyone out? Or am I just a pussy that is afraid to die?Oh, you're a pussy, but it has nothing to do with your fear of death. :D

Reerun_KC
03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh, you're a pussy, but it has nothing to do with your fear of death. :D

Zing!!!!!!!!

mlyonsd
03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
My mom has donated her body. Thank goodness when they're through with her they will take care of the cremation and we'll just get an urn instead of a box of parts.

WV
03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
My mom has donated her body. Thank goodness when they're through with her they will take care of the cremation and we'll just get an urn instead of a box of parts.

Hmmm.....a box of parts? That could be marketed and sold, Introducing "The ultimate rememberance puzzle!" Act now and we'll throw in puzzle accessories!

mlyonsd
03-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Hmmm.....a box of parts? That could be marketed and sold, Introducing "The ultimate rememberance puzzle!" Act now and we'll throw in puzzle accessories!

BRILLIANT!

How about just the skeleton?

The family could make a timed game out of it.....see who can put Grandma back together again the quickest.

loochy
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
There's an interesting non-fiction book called Stiff by Mary Roach about dead people and their bodies.

That book is amazing and it's worth a read for anyone. It is funny, informative, interesting, and will give you insight int all kinds of strange situations and practices.

Regarding the OP...sure, why not? I'll be dead, so who cares? I won't feel a thing. If I can serve some kind of actual use when I'm dead, then go for it. Why be wasteful and bury me in the ground?

MOhillbilly
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Shit no.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Shit no.Why not? Once you're dead, its just a carcass. Seems a waste to pay thousands to have it just lying in the ground.

MOhillbilly
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Why not? Once you're dead, its just a carcass. Seems a waste to pay thousands to have it just lying in the ground.

Cause, i want my ashes spread over the farm. I agree the body is only a vessel. My choice.

loochy
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Cause, i want my ashes spread over the farm. I agree the body is only a vessel. My choice.

Well technically it's not your choice. It's whoever ends up with your body in the end's choice. Hopefully that will be someone that respects your wishes, but it might not be.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Cause, i want my ashes spread over the farm. I agree the body is only a vessel. My choice.I get that. At least you're not a pussy, like Buehler. :)

MOhillbilly
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Well technically it's not your choice. It's whoever ends up with your body in the end's choice. Hopefully that will be someone that respects your wishes, but it might not be.

I have lots of Clan.

FAX
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I have a couple of employees I would gladly donate. And right away.

FAX

Fat Elvis
03-09-2011, 10:06 AM
For those of you who've answered "yes," you do understand that "junior Dave Lanes" are going to wind up with your body and do "unnatural" things to it, don't you?

CHENZ A!
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
No way, that would ruin my plans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a couple of employees I would gladly donate. And right away.

FAX

ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I want to have my ashes spread out somewhere really cool. Not sure where yet, maybe on Pat Bowlens cereal or something, or a real beautiful river I fish every year. I suppose I could donate my pecker at any time seeing as I dont really use it.

FAX
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I want to have my ashes spread out somewhere really cool. Not sure where yet, maybe on Pat Bowlens cereal or something, or a real beautiful river I fish every year. I suppose I could donate my pecker at any time seeing as I dont really use it.

My last wishes include being taken to a hilltop, my remains laid upon about 50 kilos of C4, and exploded while my surviving family watches from a safe distance. I'd also like it to be filmed.

FAX

morphius
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
My last wishes include being taken to a hilltop, my remains laid upon about 50 kilos of C4, and exploded while my surviving family watches from a safe distance. I'd also like it to be filmed.

FAX
Maybe you should donate your body to mythbusters, then we can all watch.

Luke
03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I have already filled out the papers. I am hoping to be a cadaver, or human crash test dummy. You have to weigh under 220 and can't be an organ donor.
The funeral home still gets paid for transporting body to MU.

CHENZ A!
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I told my family and friends years ago, and still remind them from time to time. When I die I wish to have a Viking funeral in which they place my body on a boat and set the boat on fire and push the boat out to sea(or a lake or pond will work).

I am an organ donor, but I'm going to have the most baller funeral in a long long time
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I have already filled out the papers. I am hoping to be a cadaver, or human crash test dummy. You have to weigh under 220 and can't be an organ donor.
The funeral home still gets paid for transporting body to MU.

i've known med students that have taken the top of the skulls off their cadavers and used them for ash trays.
sec

Frankie
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Ever thought of donating your body to Science?

I just did. An hour ago. :(
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242509

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Sure, as long as there's enough left for the taxidermist.

Frankie
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM

FAX

Mr. FAX, I think he said 'donate,' not 'detonate.'

Buehler445
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I just did. An hour ago. :(
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242509

LOL. I'm not looking forward to that crap.

DaFace
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Organ donating? Definitely. Whole-body donating? I wouldn't personally have any issue with it (I'd be dead), but I'd wonder if my family would be creeped out by it.

Psyko Tek
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
science has already called asking for mine

they wanna know why I am still alive

WebGem
03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
My grandma did this, and she was the shit. So maybe I'll do it, I have no idea. Not planning on dying for quite a while, but I am signed up as an organ donor on my license. As far as organs/whole body thing that DaFace brought up I dunno anything about the differences. But I really don't give a shit what my body does after I die, so if it's for a good cause, why not?

FAX
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
My grandma did this, and she was the shit. So maybe I'll do it, I have no idea. Not planning on dying for quite a while, but I am signed up as an organ donor on my license. As far as organs/whole body thing that DaFace brought up I dunno anything about the differences. But I really don't give a shit what my body does after I die, so if it's for a good cause, why not?

It all depends I guess, Mr. WebGem.

According to some religious beliefs, the physical body is supposed to be resurrected somewhere around the end of the world. That's why, for example, the Jews saved the bones of their loved ones. The idea is that your actual physical body is reconstructed when the time comes. When that happens, bones are necessary.

If they're correct about that, all the people who have been cremated are SOL. As are, I suppose, the detonated ones.

FAX

Ugly Duck
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I've donated it to Science teachers.

Me, too. Donate blood as well cuz I'm O-neg. Also on the bone marrow donor list. Made it through the last stage of matching for a patient, but the docs called off the operation.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Me, too. Donate blood as well cuz I'm O-neg. Also on the bone marrow donor list. Made it through the last stage of matching for a patient, but the docs called off the operation.I hear donating marrow is extremely painful.

cdcox
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Organ donating? Definitely. Whole-body donating? I wouldn't personally have any issue with it (I'd be dead), but I'd wonder if my family would be creeped out by it.

In post 13, the man went and visited his wife at "the farm".

Dark Horse
03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I'd prefer to go out eskimo style and take a long walk out onto an ice berg and float away. I guess then I would probably be donating my body to polar bears.