PDA

View Full Version : News Eliminating $1 Bills Could Save Billions

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112302/eliminating-1-bills-could-save-billions?mod=bb-budgeting

Frazod
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Do it. Get rid of pennies while you're it. Frankly we could ditch all coins but quarters and dollars AFAIC.

I've never understood why we don't have a useful dollar coin. Probably has something do to with the stupid designs.

seclark
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I've never understood why we don't have a useful dollar coin. Probably has something do to with the stupid designs.

hard to keep in a strippers g.
sec

ct
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
great idea, never happen

ct
hard to keep in a strippers g.
sec

Just insert into coin slot...duh!

Mr_Tomahawk
How am I suppose to make it rain...!?

Pants
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
$5.5 billion in the next 30 years? LMAO That is not even worth talking about.

Bump
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
But wtf will I do at the strip clubs?

surely I ain't giving those bitches $5 every time.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Do it. Get rid of pennies while you're it. Frankly we could ditch all coins but quarters and dollars AFAIC.

Yep. There's no reason, that I can see, why they cant round everything to the nearest .25.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM

surely I ain't giving those bitches $5 every time.Just toss the coins at them.

Donger
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
$5.5 billion in the next 30 years? LMAO That is not even worth talking about.

You might have a future in DC with that kind of thinking.

CHENZ A!
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
They will just make strip club money for you to exchange your US currency for.

Really I don't give a shit about that though, I treat my money like southern California.
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM

They are actually proposing getting rid of dollar bills and replacing them with dollar coins in the article linked.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
:spock:$5.5 billion in the next 30 years? LMAO That is not even worth talking about.Thats 183 mil per yr

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM

the dollar coin issue is just because of the costs of conversion to it. All cash registers would be redesigned, all vending equipment redesigned.

Plus, since they keep issuing different versions, that is an added headache.

Donger
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
:spock:Thats 183 mil per yr

Pocket change when we have $14 TRILLION in debt. That's $45,000 per person.

Pants
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
:spock:Thats 183 mil per yr

YES! We'll only need another 9,000 ideas just like this and we can take care of the national debt.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Honestly - I just see this as a way we'll end up driving inflation.

Businesses will 'round up' to the nearest $5; just wait.

As every 'brilliant' idea, this will probably end up costing us money when all is put into practice.

JohninGpt
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Get a jar full of pennies and make it hail.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, we are gonna need $500, $1000, $5000, $10000, $20000, $50000 and $100,000 dollar bills sooner than later. So getting rid of the $1 make sense.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
YES! We'll only need another 9,000 ideas just like this and we can take care of the national debt.:rolleyes:

underEJ
03-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I lived in New Zealand for a while and they have dollar and 2 dollar coins, and they use rounding instead of pennies. It took about a week to get used to, and then I was totally convinced it was the way to go until people are ready to ditch cash all together.

My friend just got back from Korea and said everyone used their phone to pay for things. Nobody uses cash at all, even for a vending machine you can use the phone to pay.

MahiMike
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM

ouch!

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Honestly - I just see this as a way we'll end up driving inflation.

Businesses will 'round up' to the nearest $5; just wait.

As every 'brilliant' idea, this will probably end up costing us money when all is put into practice.Why? The dollar coin would still be there.

Donger
Well, we are gonna need $500, $1000, $5000, $10000, $20000, $50000 and $100,000 dollar bills sooner than later. So getting rid of the $1 make sense.

LMAO

Pants
:rolleyes:

Exactly my point.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I lived in New Zealand for a while and they have dollar and 2 dollar coins, and they use rounding instead of pennies. It took about a week to get used to, and then I was totally convinced it was the way to go until people are ready to ditch cash all together.

My friend just got back from Korea and said everyone used their phone to pay for things. Nobody uses cash at all, even for a vending machine you can use the phone to pay.I'd be cool with this. I rarely carry cash on me anyway.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Pocket change when we have $14 TRILLION in debt. That's $45,000 per person.Every little bit helps.

Frazod
03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
They are actually proposing getting rid of dollar bills and replacing them with dollar coins in the article linked.

Yes, I know that, hence the reply. Thank you, Captain Obvious

teedubya
03-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Donger laughs, but inflation and prices DON'T go down over time. Bread was $.15 a loaf and cars were $500 at one time. You think we WON'T need larger currency bills down the road?

Of course not. We will go to a one world currency before that. So you are right.

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, I know that, hence the reply. Thank you, Captain Obvious

Heh. I read your post incorrectly.

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Donger laughs, but inflation and prices DON'T go down over time. Bread was $.15 a loaf and cars were $500 at one time. You think we WON'T need larger currency bills down the road?

Of course not. We will go to a one world currency before that. So you are right.

I'm laughing at another one of your dire predictions. You know that oil is still traded in US dollars, right?

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Every little bit helps.

I agree. If this goofy idea saves $183 million per year, imagine what other crap is out there.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm laughing at another one of your dire predictions. You know that oil is still traded in US dollars, right?

Oh I know... it's still March 2011. Let's reconnect on this in Dec 2011.

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh I know... it's still March 2011. Let's reconnect on this in Dec 2011.

You made that prediction in 2005, right?

ExtremeChief
03-09-2011, 12:15 PM
The vending machines where I work already take dollar coins and give them back as change. And that is in a small missouri town of 6000. It wouldn't be any big deal at all to make the change to coins... just need to do it and move on.

Just Passin' By
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM

The dollar coin has been tried time and again. It's a failed idea. The only way it will work is if it's forced upon the public.

Frazod
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
The dollar coin has been tried time and again. It's a failed idea. The only way it will work is if it's forced upon the public.

I believe this is because the designs they've tried have sucked. When I was in Spain years ago, they had a 100 pesata coin that was basically the equivalent of a dollar coin. It was smaller in circumference but thicker than a quarter, with a smooth edge. Very different in both appearance and feel from their 25 pesata coin, which was nearly identical to our quarter.

Apparently their coin makers are much smarter than ours.

Donger
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
How do blind people know which US bills they have? They are all the same size, right?

Just Passin' By
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I believe this is because the designs they've tried have sucked. When I was in Spain years ago, they had a 100 pesata coin that was basically the equivalent of a dollar coin. It was smaller in circumference but thicker than a quarter, with a smooth edge. Very different in both appearance and feel from their 25 pesata coin, which was nearly identical to our quarter.

Apparently their coin makers are much smarter than ours.

More likely, it's because the $1 dollar billion is the monetary standard, and we tend to gather a lot of them. Nobody wants to be toting a lot of coins around, because they can get heavy and awkward to walk with.

FWIW, the $2 dollar bill was a failure as well, so it's not just about coin failure. Americans use the 1/5/10/20 system with their money, and that's what they are comfortable with.

Frazod
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
More likely, it's because the $1 dollar billion is the monetary standard, and we tend to gather a lot of them. Nobody wants to be toting a lot of coins around, because they can get heavy and awkward to walk with.

FWIW, the $2 dollar bill was a failure as well, so it's not just about coin failure. Americans use the 1/5/10/20 system with their money, and that's what they are comfortable with.

Well, people need to get over it. What the hell costs a quarter anymore - a gumball that used to be a penny? I'd rather have two or three dollar coins in my pocket than the equivalent in smaller change.

Personally, when I get change, it either goes in my desk drawer at work, or a small bank on my bureau at home. Once every six months or so I clean them out and end up with $50 or $60 bucks. I don't think to specifically grab change when I'm on my way out, because I don't need it for anything. I pay for pretty much everything with cards anyway. I can't even remember the last time I paid for something with pocket change.

Okie_Apparition
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
They must keep printing the dollar bill. So they can spray it with HIV, to kill off the poor. Now that food stamps are a debit card.

-King-
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't understand why you'd want a dollar coin. I hate keeping track of coins and I don't want my pockets to jingle and I walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
They will just make strip club money for you to exchange your US currency for.

Really I don't give a shit about that though, I treat my money like southern California.
Posted via Mobile Device

<object width="480" height="327"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe8p6?theme=none"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe8p6?theme=none" width="480" height="327" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe8p6_nelly-tip-drill-uncensored_news" target="_blank">Nelly - Tip Drill Uncensored</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/arfa" target="_blank">arfa</a></i>

Frazod
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't understand why you'd want a dollar coin. I hate keeping track of coins and I don't want my pockets to jingle and I walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

You people really don't seem to be getting this - what's going to gingle less - two dollar coins or six quarters, three dimes and four nickels?

Just Passin' By
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
You people really don't seem to be getting this - what's going to gingle less - two dollar coins or six quarters, three dimes and four nickels?

People rejecting the dollar coin is not the same as people not getting it. You people really need to figure that out.

-King-
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I don't see the need for dollar coins or any coin at all other than the quarter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, people need to get over it. What the hell costs a quarter anymore - a gumball that used to be a penny? I'd rather have two or three dollar coins in my pocket than the equivalent in smaller change.

Personally, when I get change, it either goes in my desk drawer at work, or a small bank on my bureau at home. Once every six months or so I clean them out and end up with $50 or $60 bucks. I don't think to specifically grab change when I'm on my way out, because I don't need it for anything. I pay for pretty much everything with cards anyway. I can't even remember the last time I paid for something with pocket change.

It's your pattern, and you're welcome to it. Others prefer to have the change available. If you want to pay a dollar for a 10 cent item, that's your choice. Others prefer not to end up with 90 cents in change, and a lot of people don't want to do all their financial business electronically.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
It's your pattern, and you're welcome to it. Others prefer to have the change available. If you want to pay a dollar for a 10 cent item, that's your choice. Others prefer not to end up with 90 cents in change, and a lot of people don't want to do all their financial business electronically.Where can you buy something for 10 cents?

unothadeal
03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
We have loonies and toonies.

Inspector
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
How do blind people know which US bills they have? They are all the same size, right?

How do blind people know when they're done wiping?

They must have really good friends.

CanadianChief
03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Get on board with the loonie and toonie!!!

Strippers love the bank shot!!!

Frazod
03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
It's your pattern, and you're welcome to it. Others prefer to have the change available. If you want to pay a dollar for a 10 cent item, that's your choice. Others prefer not to end up with 90 cents in change, and a lot of people don't want to do all their financial business electronically.

WHAT THE FUCK COSTS TEN CENTS ANYMORE?

Are you posting from 1970?

:shake:

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
WHAT THE FUCK COSTS TEN CENTS ANYMORE?

Are you posting from 1970?

:shake:No joke. Gumball machines are all a quarter or 50 cents.

Spicy McHaggis
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM

surely I ain't giving those bitches $5 every time.

Make it hail Sacagawea dollars.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
You made that prediction in 2005, right?

You are weak sauce. I made some comments in 2008 that the bailouts were the beginning of the end... and the next step would be to print shitloads of money... which has happened.

Next step in the equation is more quantitative easing #3, followed by China no longer accepting US treasury bonds... then hyperinflation...

It's going exactly as I figured it would. It sucks, but what can we do?

Frosty
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
We can still get penny candy and some other cheap candy that costs less than a dime, but that's about it.

For me, the pocket full of change comes from sales tax screwing stuff up. A $1 item comes out to a $1.08. Since the sales tax is 7.6%, it would be difficult to price things so that it came to exact amounts on the quarter. I also doubt that they would round back so it would make things more expensive.

Donger
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
You are weak sauce. I made some comments in 2008 that the bailouts were the beginning of the end... and the next step would be to print shitloads of money... which has happened.

Next step in the equation is more quantitative easing #3, followed by China no longer accepting US treasury bonds... then hyperinflation...

It's going exactly as I figured it would. It sucks, but what can we do?

Right. Didn't you use to be Ari Chi3fs?

03-25-2005, 02:56 AM

So what happens when the US dollar completely tanks?

Im sure some of you will have some interesting takes... but the dollar is plummetting... inflation is a concern of the Fed. US dollars are being taken out of circulation in Japan, China, and Middle East... Soon Oil will no longer be traded in Dollars.

Oz_Chief
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM

My friend just got back from Korea and said everyone used their phone to pay for things. Nobody uses cash at all, even for a vending machine you can use the phone to pay.

Australia does the same thing. They round to the nearest nickel. I lived there for 3 years and loved it. No pennies, no dollar bills. One dollar coins and two dollar coins are the way to go. Of course, I am not big on the titty bars although I do appreciate that problem. When in doubt, it is probably best to go with the titties.

Infidel Goat
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Yep.

Get rid of the penny (which costs more to make than it is worth).

Go to dollar coins which can fill the penny slot of a cash register.

I'm assuming many vending machines already accept dollar coins, but whatever redesign is necessary should also include the abilty to use ATM/Credit at vending locations as well...

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Yep.

Get rid of the penny (which costs more to make than it is worth).

Go to dollar coins which can fill the penny slot of a cash register.

I'm assuming many vending machines already accept dollar coins, but whatever redesign is necessary should also include the abilty to use ATM/Credit at vending locations as well...I've seen some machines that accept debit/credit.

Frosty
03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
It amazes me that they just spent money to add new designs to the penny. Pennies are basically disposable.

Pants
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM

LMAO

Lying is so unbecoming.

Frazod
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
It amazes me that they just spent money to add new designs to the penny. Pennies are basically disposable.

It just boggles the mind, doesn't it? :doh!:

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
We can still get penny candy and some other cheap candy that costs less than a dime, but that's about it.

For me, the pocket full of change comes from sales tax screwing stuff up. A $1 item comes out to a $1.08. Since the sales tax is 7.6%, it would be difficult to price things so that it came to exact amounts on the quarter. I also doubt that they would round back so it would make things more expensive.If it means getting rid of the penny, I'd gladly pay the extra 2 cents. Assuming that 2 cents goes to the business and not filthy lawmakers.

Frosty
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
If it means getting rid of the penny, I'd gladly pay the extra 2 cents. Assuming that 2 cents goes to the business and not filthy lawmakers.

I don't mind getting rid of the penny. I am not a fan of getting rid of everything but the quarter, dollar coin and bills as mentioned earlier.

FAX
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Hmmm.

It's probably already been mentioned, but if eliminating $1 bills saves billions, I say we go for the slam dunk and get rid of $100s. That way, we could save 100 billions.

FAX

Groves
03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Yep. There's no reason, that I can see, why they cant round everything to the nearest .25.

Ideas like eliminating sub .25 coins are only good in theory, and only simple ones at that.

It looks all grand when you picture the simplicity of everything, fewer coins, etc.

The problem comes in when dealing with sub .25 amounts. The "rounding" that you speak of becomes a moneymaker, and whenever there's money to be made, you can bet people will exploit it.

That item costs only .20 and they round it up to .25? Most are willing to forego that nickel, but if you stack a bunch of those transactions up, you're talking some large amounts of cash that disappear.

Or what if you buy 10 of those .20 cent items and spend $2. Not so bad, but what happens if you return only one of them. Do they give you back .25 ? What if you return them all one at a time. Now you've just gained .50 and the race is on.

I'm sure there are systems out there that could make it work, but the numbers games always favor the scammers and the people willing to do ridiculous things (returning the items one at a time).

I think any industry that works in sub-cent values has a problem with it.

Over-Head
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Only taken ya 10 years longer, but you'll catch up with us Canucks eventually

Over-Head
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
the dollar coin issue is just because of the costs of conversion to it. All cash registers would be redesigned, all vending equipment redesigned.

Plus, since they keep issuing different versions, that is an added headache.
All you have to do is get the new cash drawer with most , and as far as vending, simple change acording to vendors.
we went through it up in 87 with the $1 replaced by the "Loonie", and in 96 when the "Twoonie" replaced our $2

teedubya
03-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Nice. I am a ****ing soothsayer. That is when I started buying silver at $6-7 an ounce too.

I'm impressed with myself. I thought it was 2008 that I mentioned that.

I ****ing rock. :thumb:

Donger
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Nice. I am a ****ing soothsayer. That is when I started buying silver at $5 an ounce too.

I'm impressed with myself. I thought it was 2008 that I mentioned that.

I ****ing rock. :thumb:

No, you were and are amazingly incorrect.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
No, you were and are amazingly incorrect.

I was in before quantitative easing #1. I'm a fucking pioneer of doom.

Donger
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I was in before quantitative easing #1. I'm a ****ing pioneer of doom.

Not really. Theskyisfalling kooks have been around for ages.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
And regardless of how "wrong" I was... Silver is at $36 now. :-) And growing. So, my intuition is paying off huge. Timeline may have been off, but that's okay, because it gave me more time to keep buying silver at low-low prices.

I do think that the dollar is taken off as the sole currency for the reserve sometime in the next 15 months though. Especially if QE #3 happens.

In fact, I'm quite pleased that my timing was off.

Donger
03-09-2011, 03:30 PM
And regardless of how "wrong" I was... Silver is at $36 now. :-) And growing. So, my intuition is paying off huge. Timeline may have been off, but that's okay, because it gave me more time to keep buying silver at low-low prices.

I do think that the dollar is taken off as the sole currency for the reserve sometime in the next 15 months though. Especially if QE #3 happens.

In fact, I'm quite pleased that my timing was off.

Don't forget about the New Madrid quake coming in May (or whenever FEMA pulls the trigger on it).

teedubya
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
It's still March. ;-)

DaFace
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Typically folding patterns, but they often have to trust people.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Poz
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
After 6 months of throwing my loonies & toonies in a jar I had $1500. Good way to save for a rainy day.

Donger
It's still March. ;-)

Well, at least you got one right so far.

Donger
Typically folding patterns, but they often have to trust people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I was reading about that. Trust would seem to be paramount.

teedubya
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
That teedubya/ari chi3fs sure is a dumbass.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-09/gross-drops-government-debt-from-pimco-s-flagship-fund-zero-hedge-reports.html

You think others aren't going to stop collecting US debt and US treasury bonds? Your nuckin' futs.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
get rid of the dam penny and nickles

bigger bills
$1 coin
25 cent
10 cent

$1 coin will be a pain-in-the-ass ... but whatever

CoMoChief
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Carrying a pocket of dollar coins IMO would be heavy and loud, and obnoxious...carrying paper dollar bills in a billfold/moneyclip is more efficient.

But as far as pennies....im all for getting rid of those bastards. I hate having pennies

FAX
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Well ... if we get rid of pennies, what are we going to put on the railroad tracks to squash totally flatter than a fritter by a passing train?

I nominate Mr. GoChiefs.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Carrying a pocket of dollar coins IMO would be heavy and loud, and obnoxious...carrying paper dollar bills in a billfold/moneyclip is more efficient.

But as far as pennies....im all for getting rid of those bastards. I hate having penniesNow about not carrying cash and just use a debit card?

Shaid
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
We have a dollar coin machine at work. Put in a 5 and it gives you dollar coins. They work in all our vending machines. I see no problem with using them.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Now about not carrying cash and just use a debit card?
in other countries they have debit card program in their cell phones.

they can use their cell phone on vending machines and all sorts of shit

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 06:37 PM
in other countries they have debit card program in their cell phones.

they can use their cell phone on vending machines and all sorts of shitI've heard about that. Not a bad idea. Cell phone theft is probably high there. :)

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
We have a dollar coin machine at work. Put in a 5 and it gives you dollar coins. They work in all our vending machines. I see no problem with using them.Same where I work. I've gotten used to it.
Retailers hate them.

SDChiefs
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Make it hail. Be a baller on a budget.

Frazod
03-09-2011, 06:58 PM

But as far as pennies....im all for getting rid of those bastards. I hate having pennies

That's right. You will be required to carry a pocketfull of fucking dollar coins at all times. Just so you'll make loud obnoxious noises and ruin your pockets.

:facepalm:

CoMoChief
03-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Now about not carrying cash and just use a debit card?

less govt tracking (and yes im serious)

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
That's right. You will be required to carry a pocketfull of fucking dollar coins at all times. Just so you'll make loud obnoxious noises and ruin your pockets.

:facepalm:LMAO

BigMeatballDave
less govt tracking (and yes im serious):LOL:

CoMoChief
That's right. You will be required to carry a pocketfull of ****ing dollar coins at all times. Just so you'll make loud obnoxious noises and ruin your pockets.

:facepalm:

I think you took my post a little too literal, but really even a couple would clank around. I just don't like the sound of change in my pants...personal pref i guess.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
$1 coins = stripper facial contusions FTL!!!

2bikemike
03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
$1 coins = stripper facial contusions FTL!!!

The last few stripper bars I have been in when you cash in your $20's they give you $2 bills. It kinda pisses me off. Its like going to the Casino and only finding $10 minimum tables.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
i suppose you could just "insert" the $1 coin into the stripper's coin slot. :D