PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL and NFLPA will agree on Rookie Wage Scale

Pestilence
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports that the NFL and NFLPA have agreed on a "basic" compromise that would install a rookie wage scale to replace the current rookie salary cap.

The current "rookie cap" is totally ineffective. The wage scale would require teams to sign players to only three-year deals if they're drafted after the first round. First rounders would get four-year contracts, but the monetary commitment would be much less. For instance, the owners proposed a $3.8 million-per-year max contract for the No. 1 overall pick. Top pick contracts will be quite a bit more once the players union has its say, but it still sounds like the deals will be a far cry from Sam Bradford's $13 million-a-year blockbuster signed last year.

Sofa King
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Finally.

KC Dan
03-09-2011, 02:40 PM
This, if actually done would be great for the league and the veterans.

CrazyPhuD
03-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Well whoever stayed last year as a junior may have made a poor choice....

Huffman83
03-09-2011, 02:41 PM

As long as the money does actually go towards veteran players.

-King-
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
The loud noise you hear is all the 1st rounders cursing .

Pestilence
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/andrew%20luck.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/yiZtEEqMZCxgHbZ3J1JLhXBEPY3LFSYedK7tNdhwXMKl6vPgS9orcQDiy22V5JEof0bfKAO30yCdIgyHHEl0NbJjoaLwoBbp/puppet_facepalm.gif

KC Dan
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
The loud noise you hear is all the 1st rounders cursing .I'm sure that the NFLPA is making that a big part of the discussion before they sign on for sure

teedubya
03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
This is great news. The Agents/Vultures will hate it though. Eric Berry should NOT have been the highest paid Safety in the league... that's just retarded. EARN you pay...

Brock
03-09-2011, 02:45 PM

Great for the league, maybe, definitely not great for the veterans.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Can you say "holdout" after years 2 and 3?

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Cool. I feel a deal is coming soon.

BigCatDaddy
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Just in time for us to start picking outside the top 5.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
This was the only thing I was absolutely positive would happen.

Neither side was all that interested in seeing rookies bring in $50 million deals. It was something of a salary inflator, but nothing that plain ol' FA dollars wouldn't have done on its own. Mostly it made owners take wild risks and veteran players lose $$ that was allocated to untested rookies.

This was the only place where both sides were absolutely going to agree. Ultimately I wouldn't say it means a hell of a lot as far as the talks are concerned.

Count Zarth
03-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Will this make trading out of the top 5 more viable?

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 03:01 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/03/nfl-mediation-labor-negotiations-lockout-cba-players-union-owners-/1

the two sides appear to be only 7% apart -- some $750 million-$800 million -- on a revenue-sharing agreement to divvy up $9 billion.

Pestilence
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM

I would believe so yeah. Salary cost has to be the #1 factor that teams don't want to trade up that high.

JASONSAUTO
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I would believe so yeah. Salary cost has to be the #1 factor that teams don't want to trade up that high.

i agree

Chocolate Hog
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Cool. Are we any closer to a deal?

BigCatDaddy
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM

I disagree because now teams aren't going to want out of those spots nearly as bad as they once did and it's going to take a whole lot more to move up that high.

I say it's a wash and you probably still won't see it very often.

dirk digler
03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/03/nfl-mediation-labor-negotiations-lockout-cba-players-union-owners-/1

Split the difference and call it good

Also great news on Rookie Wage scale and that was the right thing to do.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I wonder how roster bonuses, workout bonuses and incentives will work into the new scheme.

talastan
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
With this agreement it hopefully would allow the us to pick a First Round QB for the first time in 28 years. Not that I would want to tank this season, but Andrew Luck is looking very viable now if the wage scale allows us to consider moving up.

Bewbies
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd be willing to bet this might change the positions you see picked at the top of the draft. Not paying through the nose opens up elite RB's to high picks especially.

HotRoute
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I am not impressed

Detoxing
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM

If anything i think it gives more incentive to stay put. Now you may not want to trade out because you don't have to deal with a retarded contract and have the best pick.

DaneMcCloud
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I disagree because now teams aren't going to want out of those spots nearly as bad as they once did and it's going to take a whole lot more to move up that high.

I completely disagree.

If you're a team with multiple needs drafting in the Top Ten and especially the Top Five, teams coveting a talented player will be far more eager to trade up knowing that they won't need to guarantee those guys $20-50 million dollars, which means that a team needing more picks has a chance to improve much more quickly.

Top Ten Busts won't mean as much and teams will be far more willing to cut players much earlier that don't fit a system or were over-scouted.

It's going to be a HUGE game changer as far as positioning, especially in the more talent-laden drafts.

You'll also see more teams trading players for draft picks, especially teams that don't want to play "Superstar Players".

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:07 PM
lol ... wut??

this IS GREAT for the veterans

It means the rookies are getting less of the financial pie and the Vets are getting more.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
looks like the owners gave in on the years for the rookie cap ... initially it was rumored that they wanted 4 yrs with an option for a 5th for all of them. I wonder if the NFLPA gave in on the dollar slotting amount?

Brock
03-09-2011, 05:14 PM
lol ... wut??

this IS GREAT for the veterans

It means the rookies are getting less of the financial pie and the Vets are getting more.

Link?

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Link?
www.Brockisamoron.com

you think the NFLPA would agree to it if it wasn't just a "shift" of the money?

Brock
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
www.Brockisamoron.com

you think the NFLPA would agree to it unless it was just a "shift" of the money?

Namecalling is what you got? About what I figured.

Chocolate Hog
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't really care about this but does it mean a dealer is closer?

FAX
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm guessing that the upcoming draft class didn't get a vote.

FAX

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
you just want me to do the work for you ... it's been discussed in the media many times before. An NFL rookie scale is just a shift of the player's money.

the NFLPA gets more money going to the veterans and the owners get less money for players that have never played a down in the NFL ... saving them from wasting as much money on busts.

just admit you're wrong and move on

Brock
03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
No, I would just like for you to support your claims with a link.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:35 PM
link?

Brock
03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-rookiecontracts042108

Brock
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
See how easy that was?

Just Passin' By
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
That's gotta sting a bit.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
No, I would just like for you to support your claims with a link.
"In a cap-driven system, a rookie wage scale does not undermine in any way the total money available to players. Indeed, every dollar taken away from unproven rookies is one more dollar available to proven players."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/10/league-union-sharply-disagree-on-rookie-wage-scale-too/

The benefits are too numerous for players and owners to ignore a rookie salary cap. The money would still stay with the players because proven veterans would get the money they deserve. Teams would be able to keep veteran players around longer which also benefits the fans. One good thing for the rookies is that they would be less likely to be thrown to the wolves. Rookie quarterbacks will have time to sit on the bench and learn which can only help their progress as a player. You will see more teams take the best player on the board rather than players at certain positions because of the cost. There will also be more teams trading up in the draft. The way I see it a NFL rookie salary cap is beneficial to everyone, except the rookies of course.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1670522/rookie_salary_cap_could_be_coming_soon_pg2.html?cat=14

Ugly Duck
03-10-2011, 12:13 AM
The loud noise you hear is all the 1st rounders cursing .

OH... I thought it was Jamarcus laughing...

johnny961
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
I completely disagree.

If you're a team with multiple needs drafting in the Top Ten and especially the Top Five, teams coveting a talented player will be far more eager to trade up knowing that they won't need to guarantee those guys $20-50 million dollars, which means that a team needing more picks has a chance to improve much more quickly.

Top Ten Busts won't mean as much and teams will be far more willing to cut players much earlier that don't fit a system or were over-scouted.

It's going to be a HUGE game changer as far as positioning, especially in the more talent-laden drafts.

You'll also see more teams trading players for draft picks, especially teams that don't want to play "Superstar Players".

Agree completely. I can see a whole lot more GMs willing to trade up if they aren't going to get stuck with a huge contract for an unproven player that may or may not be a bust.

bowener
03-10-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm dancing naked!!!``11!!

Chiefnj2
03-10-2011, 06:14 AM
WHat team has been crippled by the money given to a top 5 draft bust?

The Raiders are spending like mad even though Jamarcus went in the tank.

KC has picked in the top 5 three years in a row and they aren't financially crippled.

Missing on the player is the problem, not the money given to them.

All the "god bless capitalism" people hate the free market when it comes to rookies.

JD10367
03-10-2011, 06:15 AM
you just want me to do the work for you ... it's been discussed in the media many times before. An NFL rookie scale is just a shift of the player's money.

the NFLPA gets more money going to the veterans and the owners get less money for players that have never played a down in the NFL ... saving them from wasting as much money on busts.

Yes, especially since the owners have both a salary cap and a salary floor. If someone tells you that you have to spend between $50 and $70 on groceries, and also must spend $17.85 on frozen foods (and ONLY on frozen foods, and EXACTLY that amount), then obviously you need to spend the balance on the rest of the groceries.

JASONSAUTO
03-10-2011, 06:48 AM
See how easy that was?

lol how long ago was that written? 3....4 years?

might not be as relevant now.

Amnorix
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM

I agree you won't see it often, but now teams picking that high will at least have the OPTION to trade out. Before, teams below that didn't even want to move up often because of the salary consideration degrading the value of the pick.

This should make the top few picks more "liquid" as it were, as there was never a reaosn to move into the top 5 except to get that franchise QB you needed. Nobody else was worth the $$$.

Amnorix
03-10-2011, 06:59 AM

just admit you're wrong and move on

Well, saving them from wasting as much money on unproven talent, versus proven talent who may yet be busts (Adalius Thomas, Albert Haynesworth, etc. ad infinitum).

But we all agree that having the top 3 draft picks instantly become THE highest paid player in the NFL at their position was an absurd result, and was an issue that should be fixed -- so teams can feel better about the busts they invest in. :D

JD10367
03-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Well, saving them from wasting as much money on unproven talent, versus proven talent who may yet be busts (Adalius Thomas, Albert Haynesworth, etc. ad infinitum).

But we all agree that having the top 3 draft picks instantly become THE highest paid player in the NFL at their position was an absurd result, and was an issue that should be fixed -- so teams can feel better about the busts they invest in. :D

Yup. It's just common sense, people. The NFL was paying ridiculously high salaries based on performance expectations, not based on actual abilities and results. They were developing such a dichotomy of range and scale (not only among the rookies, but from rookies to veterans) that you have players walking in from college getting paid more money than proven Pro Bowl veterans. How would you all feel in your jobs if, after working there for a while and proving your worth, you discovered they just hired some schmuck out of college and paid him twice what you get paid, simply because, "well, he's young, and came from a good school, so he must be able to do the job"?

Hell, I wouldn't even mind if the NFL/NFLPA took it one step further and started structuring incentives. Make a set of league-wide incentives built into the salary structure, the same way a company might offer incentives to its sales employees. Make results = pay, just like it should be in the real world. You start in X number of games, you get Y number of $$; score a certain number of TDs, run a certain number of yards, catch a certain number of passes, throw a certain number of TDs, whatever... same idea.

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Is this going into effect this year?

Pretty god damn awesome for Denver. We get a top ten pick once in 20 years and don't have to pay big bucks. LMAO The rich get richer.

Chiefnj2
03-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Make results = pay, just like it should be in the real world. You start in X number of games, you get Y number of $$; score a certain number of TDs, run a certain number of yards, catch a certain number of passes, throw a certain number of TDs, whatever... same idea.

The problem is that you want TEAM PLAYERS. Not a bunch of guys complaining that they should get the ball every pass or focusing on hitting fantasy numbers.

Bill Lundberg
03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
OH... I thought it was Jamarcus laughing...

Laughing as the bank takes his home?

JD10367
03-10-2011, 07:35 AM
The problem is that you want TEAM PLAYERS. Not a bunch of guys complaining that they should get the ball every pass or focusing on hitting fantasy numbers.

Well, that's true, but it's also pretty evident that the NFL is not a Communist regime. A solid nose tackle is just as important to your team as the quarterback or running back, but will never get the same money or public adulation. Same goes for a tight end vs. a wide receiver, or a safety vs. a corner.

There are other ways they can work the scenario, more intricately than my simple hypothesis, but IMO the overall idea--that performance should be the largest factor in your salary, not where you were drafted or what people THINK you MIGHT do in the pros--is sound. Especially at the quarterback position. How many high-round failures have there been? Someone calculate the amount of money the failures of the past 20 years have made; I bet it's obscene. Guys like Ryan Leaf (drafted 2nd after Peyton Manning) and Rick Mirer (drafted 2nd after Drew Bledsoe) are probably STILL enjoying money that they got for pretty much doing nothing but failing at their job.

Brock
03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
lol how long ago was that written? 3....4 years?

might not be as relevant now.

Tell me what's not relevant about it.

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Pretty god damn awesome for Denver. We get a top ten pick once in 20 years and don't have to pay big bucks. LMAO The rich get richer.Rest assured, Elway will fuck that up. :thumb:

Sofa King
03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Pretty god damn awesome for Denver. We get a top ten pick once in 20 years and don't have to pay big bucks. LMAO The rich get richer.

since when was denver rich?

looking at their roster, they are broke as fuck.

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
18-game schedule is off the table for the union.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6196585

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
since when was denver rich?

looking at their roster, they are broke as ****.

Ummm you can count on one hand the number of teams who have been to at least 6 Super Bowls and Denver is one of them.

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Rest assured, Elway will **** that up. :thumb:

Yeah because Elway has been a failure in almost everything he has done.... riiiiggghht. LMAO

Pestilence
03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Ummm you can count on one hand the number of teams who have been to at least 6 Super Bowls and Denver is one of them.

Key word is BEEN.....not WON.

Ebolapox
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah because Elway has been a failure in almost everything he has done.... riiiiggghht. LMAO

he failed pretty fucking miserable in the arena football league... I mean, it's kinda like isaiah thomas... ROFL, fuck... you're getting the equivalent of the fuckup job that isaiah thomas did to the knicks!

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah because Elway has been a failure in almost everything he has done.... riiiiggghht. LMAOMoron. Playing the game has NOTHING to do with selecting the right players.

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
he failed pretty ****ing miserable in the arena football league... I mean, it's kinda like isaiah thomas... ROFL, ****... you're getting the equivalent of the ****up job that isaiah thomas did to the knicks!

Yeah he was only named Executive of the Year and won an Arena League Championship. ROFL

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Domonique Foxworth says owners' offers have been 'disrespectful'

How badly are things going between the NFL owners and the NFL Players Association?

Well, Baltimore Ravens cornerback Domonique Foxworth says the numbers offered by the league are "laughable" and "disrespectful."

During a CNBC interview today, the executive committee member said he wasn't sure if a deal will get brokered at this point.

"Things haven't been great," Foxworth acknowledged. "We don't want to make $1 billion concession without looking through the numbers."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Domonique-Foxworth-says-owners-offers-have-been-disrespectful.html

Ebolapox
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
dude, he ran it into the fucking ground. they shut the fucking league DOWN for a year after HIS financial blunders. yeah. real champ there, man. enjoy having isaiah at the helm.

JASONSAUTO
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Tell me what's not relevant about it.

well obviously they actually feel differently about it now. otherwise why would they agree to it?

tooge
03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I completely disagree.

exactly

Cave Johnson
03-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks for that brilliant insight about only being 800M apart, dude who does stadium consulting for the NFL.

Brock
03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
well obviously they actually feel differently about it now. otherwise why would they agree to it?

My point had nothing to do with how they feel about it.

Von Dumbass
03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
dude, he ran it into the ****ing ground. they shut the ****ing league DOWN for a year after HIS financial blunders. yeah. real champ there, man. enjoy having isaiah at the helm.

I don't know how much of it would have been his fault. How many people actually give a damn about the Arena League compared to the NFL?

tooge
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM

sorry man but you do sorta sound moronic on this

Brock
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
sorry man but you do sorta sound moronic on this

If there are guarantees in place that the money that would have gone to top rookies is going to be spent on veteran players, fine. In the past, however, rookie pay was a big driver for getting veterans more money. I don't see how acknowledging that fact sounds moronic.

tooge
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM

you can also count the number of teams on one hand that have lost 4 superbowls, and Denver is one of them

Mr. Laz
03-10-2011, 10:46 AM
If there are guarantees in place that the money that would have gone to top rookies is going to be spent on veteran players, fine. In the past, however, rookie pay was a big driver for getting veterans more money. I don't see how acknowledging that fact sounds moronic.

it's called a salary floor, which the NFL has had for years. A rookie salary scale doesn't not change the amount of money spent, it just shifts it from rookies to veterans.

Teams have to spend at least a certain amount ... if the money doesn't go to rookies is will go to the veterans.

tooge
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm having a hard time opening the link to brockisamoron.com.

Brock
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
it's called a salary floor, which the NFL has had for years. A rookie salary scale doesn't not change the amount of money spent, it just shifts it from rookies to veterans.

Teams have to spend at least a certain amount ... if the money doesn't go to rookies is will go to the veterans.

I acknowledge that. Do you acknowledge that a high performing veteran will no longer have the leverage that saying "look, I'm making less money than that rookie who didn't do anything" provides?

Mr. Laz
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I acknowledge that. Do you acknowledge that a high performing veteran will no longer have the leverage that saying "look, I'm making less money than that rookie who didn't do anything" provides?
That is irrelevant ... with a salary cap and floor if the money doesn't go to your high performing veteran it will go to a different veteran.

salary cap + salary floor = mandatory spending.

The money will be spent, it's just a matter of to whom. The rookie scale just means the portion spent on draftees will shrink and therefore the portion that goes to veterans will increase.

JimBaker488
03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
What would these bozo players be doing if not for the NFL, flippin' burgers at Windys, sacking groceries at Krogers/Albertsons, etc ?
If I'm an owner I stand my ground and let em eat cake.

JASONSAUTO
03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
That is irrelevant ... with a salary cap and floor if the money doesn't go to your high performing veteran it will go to a different veteran.

salary cap + salary floor = mandatory spending.

The money will be spent, it's just a matter of to whom. The rookie scale just means the portion spent on draftees will shrink and therefore the portion that goes to veterans will increase.

shouldnt this be obvious?

Pestilence
03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
What would these bozo players be doing if not for the NFL, flippin' burgers at Windys, sacking groceries at Krogers/Albertsons, etc ?

Or you know....playing in the other different leagues that are out there. Or maybe playing other sports........

Dipshit.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
The owners really can't stand their ground tbh

The courts will eventually step in and force the owners to give in. It's bullshit but that's the reality. Especially if it's the judge that's on the NFLPA's payroll ... Judge Doty iirc.

I suppose the owners could just close the NFL doors completely. But i'm sure the courts can probably prevent that too some how.

I mean these are the same courts that won't let 60 minutes fire Andy Rooney because he's old. I mean they could fire him if he was 40 yrs old but since he's 100 they have been force by the courts to keep paying him until he quits or dies.

Brock
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
That is irrelevant

Well, I guess we differ on that point. In the past, it's been key negotiating leverage.

Ugly Duck
03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
We get a top ten pick and don't have to pay big bucks. LMAO The rich get richer.

Way to go, dude... you should root for Denver to get the 2nd pick overall every year - then you'd be really rich! Gotta laugh at Pittsburgh... they don't pick til #32 - suckers!

Pawnmower
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
good news.....We need a lot more good news or another extension if I am gonna get my hopes up though.