PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Did anyone just see the St. Johns vs Rutgers game?

Buck
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
The fix was in, obviously.

CHENZ A!
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I've never seen anything like that. And they just walked off the court without taking a look at the replay?! Those officials won't be doing any big games anytime soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Connection
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Most fucked-up ending ever.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Explain

LiveSteam
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Just seen the replays. bad

Wyatt Earp
03-09-2011, 04:03 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlOWkNBxlTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fucking ridiculous!

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
That vid shows the last part but there were 2 other bad calls just before that.

Rudy lost the toss
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Hahahaha

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Holy crap

KC_Connection
03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
That vid shows the last part but there were 2 other bad calls just before that.
Terrible calls. Obvious fouls on St. Johns.

Crush
03-09-2011, 04:10 PM
The textbook definition of a "clusterfuck."

DMAC
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
NICE

tk13
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
What were the betting lines on this game?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wyatt Earp
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
"Officials: Tim Higgins, Jim Burr, Earl Walton"

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
What were the betting lines on this game?
Posted via Mobile Device

St. Johns was -10 so I don't know if it had to do with betting, but the game was in NYC where all the St Johns fans are and now St. Johns will play Syracuse in the biggest New York game in a while @ the MSG, so they probably wanted that matchup.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Apparently the O/U was 128.5 and the final score was 65-63 which is 128.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't see a foul. I do see the dipshit from St Johns run OOB's before the clock expired with the ball with about 1 second left on the clock

KC_Connection
It was a failure on the Rutgers coach's part for not even noticing what happened. If he had, though, I'm not sure whether it would have made any difference.

KC_Connection
I don't see a foul. I do see the dipshit from St Johns run OOB's before the clock expired with the ball with about 1 second left on the clock
There were two fouls the two previous possessions that weren't called.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Its not in that vid. If you watch the last 10 seconds or so of game time then you'll see the 2 uncalled fouls.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Bad call but ultimately - I don't care.

A) Rutgers probably still doesn't hit the shot.

B) Even if they do, we're talking about the 13 seed in a loaded Big East tournament advancing to the quarters so they can get mauled by whoever the play.

Yeah, it was a bad call, but in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Bad call but ultimately - I don't care.

A) Rutgers probably still doesn't hit the shot.

B) Even if they do, we're talking about the 13 seed in a loaded Big East tournament advancing to the quarters so they can get mauled by whoever the play.

Yeah, it was a bad call, but in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter.

A) Rutgers should have had about 4 free throws on uncalled fouls

B) Technically throwing the ball into the stands is a Technical so they should have got 2 more free throws and the ball back

C) Had Rutgers won this game and one more they would be eligible for the NIT.

KC_Connection
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Buck is right, Rutgers should have won that game for all of those reasons.

WebGem
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM

This.

I saw it on twitter on the drive home.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
the clock on screen is not the official game clock, but generally there isn't THAT much difference, and the horn hadn't sounded.

Screw job.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
A) Rutgers should have had about 4 free throws on uncalled fouls

B) Technically throwing the ball into the stands is a Technical so they should have got 2 more free throws and the ball back

C) Had Rutgers won this game and one more they would be eligible for the NIT.

Oh c'mon - uncalled fouls happen on every other possession. That hardly makes for a travesty. Nobody would've said a thing about uncalled fouls had the screwup at the very end not happened. There damn sure wouldn't be a thread around here on it.

And throwing the ball into the stands gets called as a technical about once a year. The fact that a kid thought the game was over and slung one out of bounds clearly doesn't qualify. Further, all technicals are at a ref's discretion and if there's no intent behind the act, the technical isn't appropriate.

Had Rutgers hit a miracle 3, they'd have won. That's it - the fouls are what they are, I'm sure there were uncalled fouls in favor of Rutgers previously. I'm not going to get up in arms about them. And even if Rutgers hits the shot, do you honestly think they were going to beat Pitt?

It's much ado about nothing. Bad call, but ultimately inconsequential. I'd be furious were I a fan of Rutgers, but I'm not - so I don't care.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
The Big East put out a statement saying that neither the Travel nor the Step out of bounds are reviewable or correctable under NCAA playing rules.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Buck is right, Rutgers should have won that game for all of those reasons.

Rutgers should have had a chance to launch a 3-point heave as time expired. That's it.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh c'mon - uncalled fouls happen on every other possession. That hardly makes for a travesty. Nobody would've said a thing about uncalled fouls had the screwup at the very end not happened. There damn sure wouldn't be a thread around here on it.

And throwing the ball into the stands gets called as a technical about once a year. The fact that a kid thought the game was over and slung one out of bounds clearly doesn't qualify. Further, all technicals are at a ref's discretion and if there's no intent behind the act, the technical isn't appropriate.

Had Rutgers hit a miracle 3, they'd have won. That's it - the fouls are what they are, I'm sure there were uncalled fouls in favor of Rutgers previously. I'm not going to get up in arms about them. And even if Rutgers hits the shot, do you honestly think they were going to beat Pitt?

It's much ado about nothing. Bad call, but ultimately inconsequential. I'd be furious were I a fan of Rutgers, but I'm not - so I don't care.

I care about the integrity of the game, not whether either team has a chance at winning the championship. If that was the case then the NFL should just crown the Steelers or Pats at the beginning of every year.

WebGem
03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
The Big East put out a statement saying that neither the Travel nor the Step out of bounds ARE NOT reviewable or correctable under NCAA playing rules.

Neither of them are not reviewable? So they should have been reviewed? Or did they say that neither of them are reviewable?

WebGem
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I care about the integrity of the game, not whether either team has a chance at winning the championship. If that was the case then the NFL should just crown the Chiefs at the beginning of every year.

FYP

chiefsfan987
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
The Big East put out a statement saying that neither the Travel nor the Step out of bounds ARE NOT reviewable or correctable under NCAA playing rules.

Its against the rules to check and make sure the clock is right?

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I care about the integrity of the game, not whether either team has a chance at winning the championship. If that was the case then the NFL should just crown the Steelers or Pats at the beginning of every year.

If you're harping on missed call in defense of 'the integrity of the game' that ship sailed long ago. Those are simply going to happen and they happen every single day.

The missed out of bounds call was horrible and it's the only reason anyone's talking about an otherwise irrelevant game. At the same time, all it did was deprive Rutgers of a chance to do something they weren't likely to pull off anyway.

Buck
03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Neither of them are not reviewable? So they should have been reviewed? Or did they say that neither of them are reviewable?

LOL, the 2nd one.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM

how can it be inconsequential. if St. Johns goes and beats Pitt, is it inconsequential then?

If throwing a ball into the stands is a technical, it should be called as such. That, like stepping out of bounds, which he also did, is NOT a judgement call.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
The Big East put out a statement saying that neither the Travel nor the Step out of bounds are reviewable or correctable under NCAA playing rules.

bullshit...reviews to ensure the correct time on the clock when there is a turnover are done routinely. stepping out of bounds is a turnover.

kstater
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Technically they're right. The refs never blew the whistle. Therefore, he technically didn't go out of bound(in the eyes of the reviewable play). Can only review when the clock stopped based on the whistle and the ref raising their arm. They blew the call, and are pretty foolish to try to defend it based on semantics.

DJay23
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
The thing that looks a little...off...to me is that the officials got off the court quick. There didn't seem to be any discussion among them about time on the clock. I think they all knew they blew the shit out of the ending to that game and wanted to get out quick.

WebGem
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM

This.

And that this total bullshit...there's no way that's true. I have seen them check the clock in games before I am almost positive. Unless each league has its own rules? I really dunno why a rule like that would be different across conferences. But I mean looking at a clock to see if there should be 1.7, 0.9 or no time left on the clock? What kind of ****ing moron making rules would say that's not reviewable? Come on...

Buck
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
DJ, I'd like to know what you thought about the Hochuli call in the Chargers vs Broncos game a few years back.

kstater
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
This.

And that this total bullshit...there's no way that's true. I have seen them check the clock in games before I am almost positive. Unless each league has its own rules? I really dunno why a rule like that would be different across conferences. But I mean looking at a clock to see if there should be 1.7, 0.9 or no time left on the clock? What kind of ****ing moron making rules would say that's not reviewable? Come on...

You have to make a call to review time. You can't look at a monitor and change the call of the live play. They never called him OOB or traveling. It's the equivalent of seeing a PI on a review of a TD catch, you can't call it. They fucked up, but they couldn't review it.

WebGem
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
You have to make a call to review time. You can't look at a monitor and change the call of the live play. They never called him OOB or traveling. It's the equivalent of seeing a PI on a review of a TD catch, you can't call it. They ****ed up, but they couldn't review it.

Yeah I guess the whole play was so ****ed up I didn't even think of that. So why can't they review it and see that he stepped out of bounds with 1.7 left? That is ridiculous.

Buck
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
You have to make a call to review time. You can't look at a monitor and change the call of the live play. They never called him OOB or traveling. It's the equivalent of seeing a PI on a review of a TD catch, you can't call it. They fucked up, but they couldn't review it.

Yeah even though they cant review it that is fucking AWFUL that not a single ref saw him travel or step out of bounds. Absolutely awful.

Makes it feel like a fix. The refs were fucking out of there right after the game ended.

Bwana
03-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Wow, that's worse than boxing judges.

WebGem
Whoever the guy is that had $50,000 on the under in that game is....well, #winning!

kstater
Yeah even though they cant review it that is fucking AWFUL that not a single ref saw him travel or step out of bounds. Absolutely awful.

Don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with that.

WebGem
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah even though they cant review it that is ****ing AWFUL that not a single ref saw him travel or step out of bounds. Absolutely awful.

Makes it feel like a fix. The refs were ****ing out of there right after the game ended.

For some reason this reminds me of the Heat fans in 2000 after game 7 when the ref called a timeout for Sprewell with 2.1 left when he never signaled for one or called one and just fell out of bounds. LMAO Ohhhhh those were the days!

CoMoChief
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not Rutgers coach....I would have fought the ref

WebGem
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm glad I'm not Rutgers coach....I would have fought the ref

I'd probably eat his kid

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
read on another site that 2 of the officials are former Big 8/12 guys.

Tim Higgins was part of the infamous no-call in the ATM/UCLA game a couple of years ago, and Jim Burr was supposedly run out of the Big 8 for terrible officiating.

KC_Connection
03-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Rutgers should have had a chance to launch a 3-point heave as time expired. That's it.
Even if you ignore everything that went on before that call, that's still a 30-40% chance at victory that they lost on poor officiating.

DJ's left nut
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Even if you ignore everything that went on before that call, that's still a 30-40% chance at victory that they lost on poor officiating.

They had a 30% chance to knock down a 3 pointer with 1.7 seconds left on the clock?

How often do those shots actually fall? 1 time in 10? Probably not even that - the rushed 3 point shot as time expires isn't exactly a gimme.

What world do you live in again?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
They had a 30% chance to knock down a 3 pointer with 1.7 seconds left on the clock?

How often do those shots actually fall? 1 time in 10? Probably not even that - the rushed 3 point shot as time expires isn't exactly a gimme.

at least he doesn't live in the world of "it's not a gimme, so they shouldn
t even have a chance to do it".

KC_Connection
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM

The exact percentage depends entirely on the quality of the shot they are able to get, but they have plenty of 30-40% shooters from three.

Of course, we'll never know what they would have done now because poor officiating cost them their season.

Saul Good
03-09-2011, 08:59 PM

They were down 2.

BigMeatballDave
03-09-2011, 09:08 PM

What world do you live in again?They only needed 2 to tie. The Refs fucked up. There is no debate here.

Chiefnj2
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
He's clearly jogging out of bounds well before the buzzer sounds.

Yeah, sports aren't fixed. It'll make you sleep better to think it's fair.

Saul Good
03-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Weird that the game finished .5 points below the under, huh? If that wasn't a fix, I've never seen one.

The guy walks out of bounds and throws the ball into the stands. It's not like there isn't a buzzer that goes off when the game ends or anything.

Out of bounds, ball goes to Rutgers with 1.7 seconds on the clock. Technical foul for throwing the ball into the seats gives Rutgers 2 free throws plus the ball.

Nzoner
03-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Weird that the game finished .5 points below the under, huh? If that wasn't a fix, I've never seen one.

The guy walks out of bounds and throws the ball into the stands. It's not like there isn't a buzzer that goes off when the game ends or anything.

Out of bounds, ball goes to Rutgers with 1.7 seconds on the clock. Technical foul for throwing the ball into the seats gives Rutgers 2 free throws plus the ball.

Every so often sports gives us undeniable proof (this game,Chargers vs. Steelers a few years ago) that a fix is in and yet people will claim there's no way that goes on.

I simply call bullshit and place another bet :)

Al Bundy
03-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Actually if correctly called they would have gotten the ball after a technical foul shot.

BigMeatballDave
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
The three officials who worked Wednesday's St. John's-Rutgers game have voluntarily withdrawn from the Big East tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=6201265