PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto How many people here use a water softener at home?

Kerberos
03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I never used one until I moved to Nevada which has just as hard of water as I had back in NE Kansas.

I skipped all the other brands and went with Kinetico because of reliability, maintenance and reputation. Of course the 20 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

Price is more in the short run but with less maintenance and upkeep you save it all in the long run.

So if anyone else has a water softener what do you use and how do you like it?

Plus do you also use reverse osmosis under the sink as well?

I do and it is well worth the $ IMHO.

blaise
03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't now, but we always did growing up. I don't know if they've changed now, but we had to go down to the basement every so often and use a broom handle to break up a little shelf of ice that would form at the bottom.

Donger
03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I never used one until I moved to Nevada which has just as hard of water as I had back in NE Kansas.

I skipped all the other brands and wend with Kinetico because of reliability, maintenance and reputation. Of course the 20 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

So if anyone else has a water softener what do you use and how do you like it?

Plus do you also use reverse osmosis under the sink as well?

I do and it is well worth the $ IMHO.

We had the exact same setup in our house when we bought it, but it wasn't operational. I had a plumber take it out. I didn't even look to see what it was worth. I probably should have.

DaFace
03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
There was one in need of repair in our house when we moved in. We had them take it out. I don't really see the point, personally.

DaFace
03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
We had the exact same setup in our house when we bought it, but it wasn't operational. I had a plumber take it out. I didn't even look to see what it was worth. I probably should have.

Whoa. Are you living in my house?

Donger
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Whoa. Are you living in my house?

LMAO

blaise
03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
There was one in need of repair in our house when we moved in. We had them take it out. I don't really see the point, personally.

We had to have it in Upstate NY where I lived, otherwise your shower door and glasses would all get covered in a white film. That's what people always said, anyway.

listopencil
03-10-2011, 12:41 PM
That's for pussies. I actually harden my water.

Donger
03-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Personally, I hate soft water. Or is it hard water? Which one makes you feel all slimy in the shower, like you need to rinse again?

I think that's soft water.

Kerberos
03-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Here in the Las Vegas Valley we have some of the hardest water you can imagine. My parents had a system back in the early 2000's that was OK but the drinking water from the reverse osmosis was salty and frankly tasted like crap. Ice cubes had a realy nasty taste to them.

When they switched to Kinetico a few years back we visited them and you can feel the difference when taking a shower and when you use the drinking water out of the reverse osmosis tap.

If you have never tried a working Kinetiko system then you have never seen the TREMENDOUS difference it can make in your whole house water from your sink. dishwasher to the feeling of clean you get from the shower.

Unless you have witnessed it first hand it is hard to explain IMO.

Pants
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Personally, I hate soft water. Or is it hard water? Which one makes you feel all slimy in the shower, like you need to rinse again?

Yeah, soft water. Shit makes it really hard to wash the soap off.

listopencil
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/a/softwaterrinse.htm

Kerberos
03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I also don't have the nasty white film on my taps and fixtures from the lime and such in the hard water.

I say you have good and bad with having it and the GOOD outweighs the bad by a huge margin IMO.

Just cleaning the shower doors with Windex and paper towel instead of deep cleaners to take out the lime and scale deposits make it worth the softener to me.

loochy
03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
I want one just for washing the car. Water spots are my nemesis. :mad:

Frazod
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM

We had one when I was a kid, and I didn't care for it. Also makes the water taste shitty.

Donger
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I want one just for washing the car. Water spots are my nemesis. :mad:

Get one of those Mr. Clean car wash things. It filters the water. Or, just attach a filter to your garden hose when washing your car.

Frosty
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Get one of those Mr. Clean car wash things. It filters the water. Or, just attach a filter to your garden hose when washing your car.

What Donger said. I use one of these:

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

It drops the pressure a little but I don't blast my car with the hose so it doesn't matter.

Kerberos
03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
We had one when I was a kid, and I didn't care for it. Also makes the water taste shitty.

Shitty water softeners and Shitty reverse osmosis systems make water taste shitty.

Every kinetico owner is an owner for life.

Culligan is big in the mid west when I lived in KS.

case in point: Culligan VS Kinetico

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumbing/msg0700512531888.html

Besides the gains in technology since you and I were kids have been in leaps and bounds.

Don't live in the past bro.

cdcox
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM

Yeah, soft water makes a big lather that is hard to wash off. Try just soaping your upper torso. As you rinse off the excess lather will run down and auto-wash your legs.

phillip
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I live in Vegas and I don't use one. I moved here from Overland Park in September and haven't noticed any big water difference???

I do get some white crud on the tile of the pool where the water flows from the spa, but I wouldn't think the water loop would affect the pool water anyway.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I live in Vegas and I don't use one. I moved here from Overland Park in September and haven't noticed any big water difference???

I do get some white crud on the tile of the pool where the water flows from the spa, but I wouldn't think the water loop would affect the pool water anyway.

You'll never get away from crud in the pool because you are not supposed to run soft water in any swimming pool.

Unless you know someone here in Vegas with a "Working" good softener system there is no way for you to see any difference.

On a water map you will see that Vegas and NE Kansas has basically the same hard water problems.

http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html

Keep an eye on your showers and sinks. You will see the buildup of calcium. ;)

Stewie
03-11-2011, 06:28 AM
http://www.pelicanwatertechnologies.com/natursoft_series.php

kepp
03-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I skipped all the other brands and went with Kinetico because of reliability, maintenance and reputation. Of course the 20 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

We have a Kinetico also - dual tank + de-chlorinizer (sp?) - and love it. I grew up with a water softener and looked into Kinetico because my parent switched to them from Culligan.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM

I would agree with most of the video except Kinetico uses 1/8 the salt of almost every other brand of salt based systems.

When they installed they filled the large rinse tub half with salt. In almost ANY other brand I would have had to fill that within a couple of weeks.

In 4 months it has moved around 2 inches and I may have to fill it once a year according to manual.

The video is correct about most salt based systems and the fact you have to fill the rinse tank about every month. That is what most others are based on.

There is a difference.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/353660-kinetico-water-softners-2.html

This says that shit don't work.

|Zach|
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I had absolutely no knowledge of this hard\soft water thing until this thread.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I had absolutely no knowledge of this hard\soft water thing until this thread.

If you live in KC/MO then the water map shows that the water there is decent.

KC/KS shows hard water.

Spott
03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
One of those Rainsoft guys came by my house not too long ago and tried to sell me one of those things. The guy started off trying to sell it to me for $8000. By the time he left he had lowered the price to $4995 but I wouldn't buy it. Besides the price, I don't see a problem with it but the salesman acted like I was going to die 20 years early because I don't have a water purifier/softener.

Stewie
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/353660-kinetico-water-softners-2.html

This says that shit don't work.

I don't know if it does or not, I thought it was interesting.

As far as I'm concerned softening water is a huge waste of money and resources. Especially when you're on a municipal water system. Filtering, on the other hand, is worth the few bucks it costs per year. Especially for cooking and drinking water.

Kerberos
03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know if it does or not, I thought it was interesting.

As far as I'm concerned softening water is a huge waste of money and resources. Especially when you're on a municipal water system. Filtering, on the other hand, is worth the few bucks it costs per year. Especially for cooking and drinking water.

In the grand scheme of things it is beneficial to soften water before you filter it or use reverse osmosis.

IIRC the things taken out by softening it first helps your reverse osmosis or water filter work more efficiently.

You can use water filters or reverse osmosis without softeners but the change out of filters and bladders on the osmosis are a shit load more frequent.

Stewie
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
In the grand scheme of things it is beneficial to soften water before you filter it or use reverse osmosis.

IIRC the things taken out by softening it first helps your reverse osmosis or water filter work more efficiently.

You can use water filters or reverse osmosis without softeners but the change out of filters and bladders on the osmosis are a shit load more frequent.

Softening water doesn't improve filtration downstream and softening water doesn't remove the nasty stuff in the water. All softening does is exchange sodium ions for calcium and magnesium ions. RO is overrated and expensive since KDF filters have come out.

If it were me, and I'm thinking about doing this, I'd put a whole house KDF filter (they last 300,000 gallons with no maintenance for about $500) that removes contaminants and slightly softens the water. No chlorine in the shower, no nasties in the drinking water. If you want to be really particular you can add a $10 activated carbon filter to the faucet(s) where you drink or cook to take the 99% pure water to 99.99% pure.

Coach
03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes, I do have a water softener, and it was very much needed. When doing dishes through the dishwasher, I'd see hard water showing up on the plates and glass cups, as well as feeling hard water on my skin.

A little expensive, but it was needed.

Stewie
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, I do have a water softener, and it was very much needed. When doing dishes through the dishwasher, I'd see hard water showing up on the plates and glass cups, as well as feeling hard water on my skin.

A little expensive, but it was needed.

KCMO has moderately hard water. It varies around 100-130ppm which is acceptable. If you were seeing spots on dishes you were skimping on the dishwasher detergent. You should have put another two cents worth of detergent per wash.

BTW, you can't "feel" hard or soft water. You can only notice the waters ability to remove soap.

Buehler445
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Dad bought an easy water unit and loves it. I really can't believe that it works but he swears it does.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefButthurt
03-11-2011, 07:21 PM
We purchased a Kenmore water softener ten years ago for 500 bucks, still works great.

Called the local Kinetico sales guy before we purchased the Kenmore. He's sitting at our kitchen table discussing how his water softener would change how we feel about water. He wanted 4000 bucks for his shit. I asked him to test our water...he said he didn't need to test the water, he was familiar with all water in the neighborhood. We have a well. I asked him how he would "know" my well water? Couldn't answer....he continued to refuse to test the water. I told him to get the fuck out, he got up and walked out the door and didn't say a word. Dumb fuck, glad I didn't buy his garbage.