PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Things that don't give you that warm/fuzzy...our National Intelligence Director

mlyonsd
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Sen. Graham Wants Intel Chief Gone After He Claims Russia, China Pose 'Mortal' Threat

Published March 10, 2011 | FoxNews.com

A prominent Republican senator called on Director of National Intelligence James Clapper to resign Thursday after he said Russia and China pose the biggest "mortal threat" to the United States, stunning lawmakers on the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said it's time for Clapper to go after his testimony on Capitol Hill, but the White House said it has the "full faith and confidence" of the director.

Clapper, who just last month startled lawmakers when he claimed during a hearing that the Muslim Brotherhood (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/muslim-brotherhood-opposition.htm#r_src=ramp) is "secular," made the comments about Russia and China during an exchange with Sen. Joe Manchin (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/joe-manchin.htm#r_src=ramp), D-W.Va. He was in the midst of testifying about global security threats when Manchin asked which country represents the biggest "mortal threat" to the United States.

Russia and China, Clapper answered.

At that point, Chairman Carl Levin (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/carl-levin.htm#r_src=ramp), D-Mich., broke in to say he was "really kind of taken aback" by the answer. Levin said North Korea (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/north-korea.htm#r_src=ramp) and Iran (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/world/iran.htm#r_src=ramp) are the first nations that come to his mind, not Russia and China.

Clapper clarified that North Korea and Iran are "of great concern," but questioned whether they pose a "direct mortal threat" to the United States. The intelligence chief seemed to be focused on which countries have the capability, not necessarily the intent, to threaten the United States.

Pressed by Manchin to narrow his list, Clapper picked China.

"So Donald Trump is right?" Manchin joked, referring to the businessman-turned-reality-star-turned-possible-presidential-candidate's frequent warnings that China is catching up with America.

Levin, apparently not satisfied by the exchange, again jumped in to press Clapper further.

"I'm just as surprised by your answer to that question. You're saying China has the intent to be our mortal adversary?" he said.

Clapper said he was "loathe" to pick one country, but said Russia and China have the "capability."

He said he could not get into "gauging intent."

Levin, who seemed to be on the verge of laughing, said: "By that measure, the U.S. represents the biggest threat" to China and Russia.

Graham, who sits on the committee, told Fox News afterward that Clapper should go.

"Three strikes and you're out," Graham told Fox News in an interview, citing Clapper's previous public missteps.

It's unclear whether Clapper was stating an administration position Thursday or his own personal view. When Clapper in February testified that Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood is "largely secular," Clapper's office afterward issued a statement effectively retracting the remark.

The White House stepped to Clapper's defense in December after he stumbled in an interview when asked about a major set of terror arrests in Great Britain.

The White House later acknowledged that Clapper had not yet been briefed about the sweep, while calling him "the consummate DNI."

On Thursday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney seemed to indicate nothing untoward by the answer.

"Obviously, Russia and China are two of the three largest nuclear powers in the world. Therefore, they have dangerous weapons and have the capacity. But he made clear that we do not view Russia and China as a threat," Carney said. Carney later added that Graham misinterpreted the director's response.

Though officials often warn that China's economy and military are developing at a rapid pace, the Obama administration has made a push to improve relations with the country. The White House (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/white-house.htm#r_src=ramp) hosted Chinese President Hu Jintao (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/president-hu-jintao.htm#r_src=ramp) for a State Dinner in January.

The U.S. government also finalized an arms-reduction treaty with Russia, something Clapper acknowledged at the hearing.

Though there are conflicting reports about Iran's intentions and resources, a State Department (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/state-department.htm#r_src=ramp) official said Wednesday that Iran was approaching the threshold of being able to construct a nuclear bomb.

But Graham said he lacks confidence in Clapper's understanding of his job and referred to Clapper's statement that he believes the regime of Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi would prevail in fighting against Libyan rebels.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/10/dni-clapper-claims-russia-china-pose-mortal-threat/#

The NID isn't into "gauging intent"? What's he doing when not testifying at congressional hearings, playing video games?

go bowe
03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
ok, the guy is a dork...

and he doesn't instill much confidence in our intelligence services given how remarkably unintelligent he seems to be on the subject of national intelligence...

Jaric
03-11-2011, 11:43 AM
He's right.

If North Korea and Iran teamed up and tried to really start some shit, we could crush them like a bug on a fucking windshield.

China and Russia on the other hand, not so much.

Radar Chief
03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
He's right.

If North Korea and Iran teamed up and tried to really start some shit, we could crush them like a bug on a ****ing windshield.

China and Russia on the other hand, not so much.

Agreed but I wouldn’t even include Russia.
Their military has dilapidated to the point they’re better off not trying to project their power on any country much bigger than Georgia.
China, on the other hand, is very quickly closing the military gap and it’s quite obvious their aim is our military because they’re developing weaponry specifically meant to counter our military’s strong points.

BucEyedPea
03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Graham is a nasty-assed NeoCon who's been salivating over striking Iran. This just gets in the way of his agenda so he attacks the messenger—even get rid of him, like a true NeoCon.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
BEP is just sore that Clapper didn't identify neocons as the greatest threat to our country. :rolleyes:

mlyonsd
03-11-2011, 12:35 PM
ok, the guy is a dork...

and he doesn't instill much confidence in our intelligence services given how remarkably unintelligent he seems to be on the subject of national intelligence...

We have a winner. Show him what he's won Johnny.

HonestChieffan
03-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I commented on the guys incompetence some time back and I dont recall who but someone sent me his resume. He must have had a mini stroke or something cause he is an idiot. But he fits in well with this administration.

patteeu
03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I commented on the guys incompetence some time back and I dont recall who but someone sent me his resume. He must have had a mini stroke or something cause he is an idiot. But he fits in well with this administration.

These guys are all a bunch of bozos. Hillary is probably the most competent of the bunch and she's blundered a few times herself. I mean think about it. Which of these, besides maybe Hillary, is a real top tier player: Biden, Geithner, Holder, Clapper, Napolitano, ..., well I guess he's got Gates too. Weak team though.

Discuss Thrower
03-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Russia is a bigger threat to the USA than people realize... The party is not over, comrades.

Jaric
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Russia is a bigger threat to the USA than people realize... The party is not over, comrades.

Spetsnaz is forserious.

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Yes I remember you commenting on his incompetence and at the time I was willing to give the guy a break thinking that instance was just a mistake.

Since then his goofs have continuted. But what really made my jaw drop was his comment about not getting into "gauging intent".

To me that's something the NID should have at the top of his task list. I have come to the conclusion this guy is in over his head.

Brock
03-13-2011, 09:18 AM
I take it you don't agree China and Russia are the biggest threats to our country.

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I take it you don't agree China and Russia are the biggest threats to our country.

Do you think the NID should be in the business of using intelligience to monitor/measure/appraise the intent of China and Russia?

HonestChieffan
03-13-2011, 12:03 PM
OOOPS....He done crapped out....

By MIKE ALLEN | 3/13/11 1:17 PM EDT Updated: 3/13/11 1:55 PM EDT

P.J. Crowley is out as chief spokesman at the State Department after he publicly criticized the Defense Department’s handling of WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning, a senior administration official said Sunday.

Crowley, a respected National Security Council spokesman under President Bill Clinton, has been on the outs with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who made him her assistant secretary of state for Public Affairs.

Michael Hammer, President Barack Obama’s NSC spokesman, had been sent to State earlier this year, with the plan for him to succeed Crowley.

The process was speeded up after attendees at a Massachusetts Institute of Technology appearance by Crowley reported that he had called the Pentagon’s handling of Manning, who is detained at the brig at Quantico, “ridiculous and counterproductive and stupid.”

At Obama’s news conference on Friday, he said: “With respect to Private Manning, I have actually asked the Pentagon whether or not the procedures that have been taken in terms of his confinement are appropriate and are meeting our basic standards. They assure me that they are. I can’t go into details about some of their concerns, but some of this has to do with Private Manning’s safety as well.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51197.html#ixzz1GVJ4DPQl

Brock
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Do you think the NID should be in the business of using intelligience to monitor/measure/appraise the intent of China and Russia?

Do you think he should necessarily speak openly about what he thinks about that?

vailpass
03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Least. Qualified. Administration. Ever.

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Do you think he should necessarily speak openly about what he thinks about that?Well, yeah, especially when a Senator asks you the question during an Armed Service Committee meeting.

I mean if Russia is about to go all Red Dawn on us I'd kind of like to know that and I bet Congress would too.

Re-read the exchange.

Either:

A) He didn't understand the question.
B) He really believes Russia or China will provide nuclear material to terrorists before North Korea, Iran, etc, or, are ready to push the button themselves.
C) He knows something he doesn't want the rest of us to know.

If you can come up with a D let me know. The first 3 are scary enough for me to know he's in over his head.

Brock
03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Well, yeah, especially when a Senator asks you the question during an Armed Service Committee meeting.

Well, I don't necessarily agree. I mean, I get it, some of you guys have to parse every word and every situation to find something wrong with it, meanwhile, the last administration was as inept as they come and you didn't say boo about it.

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, I don't necessarily agree. I mean, I get it, some of you guys have to parse every word and every situation to find something wrong with it, meanwhile, the last administration was as inept as they come and you didn't say boo about it.

Fair enough, and don't be shy to point out my hypocrisy when you see it.

patteeu
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM

That's because it's not true.

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 06:52 PM
That's because it's not true.

Be advised I'm not conceding the Bush administration was inept as they come, just that I might not have pointed out their ineptness as much as I do Obama's.

Because seriously these current guys are a giant cluster ****. The only one I'd grade above a C is Clinton and that's probably just because she was probably answering phone calls while her husband was out getting milked by the cows.

Even Biden, a guy I once considered POTUS material would be a worse president than Quayle.

go bowe
03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Be advised I'm not conceding the Bush administration was inept as they come, just that I might not have pointed out their ineptness as much as I do Obama's.

Because seriously these current guys are a giant cluster ****. The only one I'd grade above a C is Clinton and that's probably just because she was probably answering phone calls while her husband was out getting milked by the cows.

Even Biden, a guy I once considered POTUS material would be a worse president than Quayle.quayle would be better than palin...