PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Clapper's going to go ahead and call it

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
The U.S. government's top intelligence official told senators Thursday that the regime of Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi "will prevail" eventually over the armed rebellion that grew from wave of unrest to hit North Africa and the Middle East.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20041688-503544.html?tag=strip

:facepalm:

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20041822-503544.html

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a prominent Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said Thursday that President Obama should replace General James Clapper, director of National Intelligence (DNI), after Clapper said that Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi "will prevail" eventually over the armed rebellion in his nation.

alnorth
03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't really see the problem here. Graham is stupidly wanting to shoot the messenger after receiving an opinion that he did not like.

ClevelandBronco
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/world/africa/04president.html

Obama Tells Qaddafi to Quit and Authorizes Refugee Airlifts
By MARK LANDLER
Published: March 3, 2011

WASHINGTON — President Obama demanded Thursday that the embattled Libyan leader, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, “step down from power and leave” immediately, and said he would consider a full range of options to stem the bloodshed there, though he did not commit the United States to any direct military action.

In his most forceful response to the near-civil war in Libya, Mr. Obama said the United States would consider imposing a “no-flight zone” over the country — a step his defense secretary, Robert M. Gates, warned a day earlier would carry major risks, requiring the United States to destroy Libya’s air defenses.

Mr. Obama said the United States and the world were outraged by Colonel Qaddafi’s “appalling violence against the Libyan people.” Speaking after he met with President Felipe Calderón of Mexico at the White House, he declared, “Muammar Qaddafi has lost the legitimacy to lead, and he must leave.”

Clapper to Qaddafi: "The president says, 'Never mind.'"

BucEyedPea
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Well that our ally and Islamic Regime named Saudi Arabia is shooting on its protestors too.

patteeu
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't really see the problem here. Graham is stupidly wanting to shoot the messenger after receiving an opinion that he did not like.

I suspect that his complaint is that the message was made public.

alnorth
03-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I suspect that his complaint is that the message was made public.

If it was a national secret, that would be one thing, but the reason I'm perplexed is because this is hardly surprising. Put a poll up on this board before he opened his mouth "Well Gaddafi win? yes/no", and I bet yes wins by 75%+.

patteeu
03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
If it was a national secret, that would be one thing, but the reason I'm perplexed is because this is hardly surprising. Put a poll up on this board before he opened his mouth "Well Gaddafi win? yes/no", and I bet yes wins by 75%+.

I don't think it's a national secret. There are two things about it that might be the problem for Graham. First, it's clearly out of step with the administration message which is that Gadaffi's lost his legitimacy and should step down. Second, somewhat related to the first, the public assessment encourages the regime and discourages the opposition.

The administration's public statements should present a coherent voice and should be designed to maximize the likelihood of whatever outcome is desired. Clapper is a serial abuser of these concepts.