PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 18

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Interesting heat coming up. I'm very curious how this one will turn out.

mikey23545
03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Dylan, Styx, The Who.

patteeu
03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
FYI, the TV On The Radio song title and artist are reversed. TV On The Radio is the artist. At least I think it is. I can't find that particular song.

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
FYI, the TV On The Radio song title and artist are reversed. TV On The Radio is the artist.

Yeah, I just figured that out when I started searching on youtube. I'll instruct the guys in the data department to fix it if it makes the next round.

Zebedee DuBois
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
so far, I've just been voting for the songs I've heard of.

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
so far, I've just been voting for the songs I've heard of.

I've been youtubing all the ones I don't know and listening to them. Most of them are horrible, horrible songs and should never even be mentioned in a discussion of music, much less good music, but I've also heard a couple of good ones.

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
My tastes match the masses on this one. I liked four songs a lot, but had to go with Run Through the Jungle, Come Sail Away, and Great Balls of Fire. If My Generation knocks one of them out I won't cry, because it was close.

KCFalcon59
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Way too much Bob Dylan in these polls. Guy is seriously overrated.

Brianfo
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM

This. We get it that Rainman likes Dylan. To the rest of us, he is meh!!!!!!!!

KcMizzou
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Lewis, Creedence, The Who

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
This. We get it that Rainman likes Dylan. To the rest of us, he is meh!!!!!!!!

No, no, no. I'm the one who suggested all of the Springsteen songs. Like, man, I'm just a carrier pigeon on the Dylan issue, man.

Jenson71
03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I think I'm going to do a spin-off tournament. Composed of only Bob Dylan songs. We'll go through his entire library.

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I think I'm going to do a spin-off tournament. Composed of only Bob Dylan songs. We'll go through his entire library.

I look forward to the 60-heat first round. That'll keep us entertained for a while.

headsnap
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM

blame the twit Jenson for that...

patteeu
03-10-2011, 07:11 PM

How did you become such a big fan? Were your parents big Dylan fans? It seems like an odd connection to me.

KurtCobain
03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
You sick fucking people disgust me. I can't believe I post on this board. pfft.

Rain Man
03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
You sick ****ing people disgust me. I can't believe I post on this board. pfft.

Come on. Only two of the top vote-getters are pedophiles.

KurtCobain
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I wish I would've posted more than four lame songs in that thread. I would've let this contest up like a fire joint.

Jenson71
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
How did you become such a big fan? Were your parents big Dylan fans? It seems like an odd connection to me.

My uncle is a huge fan. (To give you an idea, I have two cousins named Dylan and Jacob.)

I listened to him beginning my freshman year of high school. But it wasn't until the summer after, when I was detassling with my mp3 player that I became a Dylan devotee. It wasn't the politics/message, which is a stereotypically huge attraction for a lot of people in their young adult years. It was Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks, that harmonica, that unique, unpolished voice, the visuals his lyrics gave. It was just Dylan and miles of corn. And I loved it. So throughout high school I was hugely into Dylan. I would write his lyrics while taking notes in class.

Now my relationship with him has its ups and downs. I can go months without listening to one of his songs. I don't talk on his website. I've only seen him in concert once. I don't read everything there is about him (though I did read and enjoy his own book Chronicles). But then sometimes it hits me, and I need to revisit Nashville Skyline, and read a few entries from the Dylan encyclopedia.

And sometimes those hits last for a while, and I'm grateful for them, because they're comfortable. His songs mean a great deal to me.

Jenson71
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
the visuals his lyrics gave.

And if anyone of his songs do that best, it might be the one in this poll: Simple Twist of Fate

They sat together in the park
As the evening sky grew dark
She looked at him and he felt a spark tingle to his bones
’Twas then he felt alone and wished that he’d gone straight
And watched out for a simple twist of fate

They walked along by the old canal
A little confused, I remember well
And stopped into a strange hotel with a neon burnin’ bright
He felt the heat of the night hit him like a freight train
Moving with a simple twist of fate

A saxophone someplace far off played
As she was walkin’ by the arcade
As the light bust through a beat-up shade where he was wakin’ up,
She dropped a coin into the cup of a blind man at the gate
And forgot about a simple twist of fate

He woke up, the room was bare
He didn’t see her anywhere
He told himself he didn’t care, pushed the window open wide
Felt an emptiness inside to which he just could not relate
Brought on by a simple twist of fate

He hears the ticking of the clocks
And walks along with a parrot that talks
Hunts her down by the waterfront docks where the sailors all come in
Maybe she’ll pick him out again, how long must he wait
Once more for a simple twist of fate

People tell me it’s a sin
To know and feel too much within
I still believe she was my twin, but I lost the ring
She was born in spring, but I was born too late
Blame it on a simple twist of fate

thurman merman
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Howlin' Wolf!

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Had to go with the Dylan, Floyd and Smokestack

Predarat
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
The last two polls have some good songs in them.

Baconeater
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm a bit shocked at what songs are beating out Pink Floyd.

Baconeater
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I mean seriously, Run through the Jungle is better than this?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sm-Vh3j8sys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or this?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ySO-gryuO-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
03-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Jerry Lee Lewis, CCR, and Styx

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
In The Navy is the only song in the world gayer then Come Sail Away.

Omaha
03-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I love Dylan. He doesn't stand a chance on this site, though.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I love Dylan. He doesn't stand a chance on this site, though.

He'd have had a better chance if his nominations weren't spammed all over nearly every heat. Dylan-fatigue set in pretty quickly with me, but if he'd have had one or two of his most popular songs appear at some point in the poll, he'd have had a decent chance to move on to the next round. In fact, I think he's already had a couple move on, which is more than can be said about many artists.

He doesn't have a chance to win it all, IMO, but that's because he isn't involved in the greatest rock and roll song of all time.

MOhillbilly
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
If The Killer doesnt move on im done.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
If The Killer doesnt move on im done.

Do what you've got to do, killer. :)

I had to look it up to see why Jerry Lee Lewis got that nickname.

Question: Why is Jerry Lee Lewis known as "The Killer"?

Answer: Many people assume that Jerry got his famous nickname because of his wild and often violent nature, but the fact is that Jerry Lee had a habit of calling acquaintences "killer," the same way we might say "buddy" or "dude." (This was not an uncommon use of the word for a man in North Louisiana in the postwar period.) So the name stuck to Jerry... to this day, he greets some folks with the appellation "killer" (usually, it is said, when he's forgotten their names!).

Omaha
03-11-2011, 08:53 AM
He'd have had a better chance if his nominations weren't spammed all over nearly every heat. Dylan-fatigue set in pretty quickly with me, but if he'd have had one or two of his most popular songs appear at some point in the poll, he'd have had a decent chance to move on to the next round. In fact, I think he's already had a couple move on, which is more than can be said about many artists.

He doesn't have a chance to win it all, IMO, but that's because he isn't involved in the greatest rock and roll song of all time.

I think Like a Rolling Stone is the only one that has seen any success.

MOhillbilly
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Do what you've got to do, killer. :)

I had to look it up to see why Jerry Lee Lewis got that nickname.

Legendary musician Jerry Lee Lewis was arrested by Memphis police in November 1976 and charged with public drunkenness and gun possession. Lewis, 41 at the time, was at Graceland waiving around a gun and demanding to see Elvis Presley when a guard called police on The Killer

edit- they left out the part where he did a driveby and rolled his car.

patteeu
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I think Like a Rolling Stone is the only one that has seen any success.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking All Along the Watchtower (which has made it to round 2) was the Dylan version, but it was Hendrix.

Rain Man
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Shutting it down.

Come Sail Away was the first "adult" song that I really liked, and that piano opening was inspired. I'm sad to see it get knocked out early, but delighted that Run Through The Jungle is advancing.

Advancers are:

My Generation
Great Balls Of Fire
Run Through The Jungle