PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Repair Garage

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Do you expect a garage to call you before they make any repairs on your vehicle? The reason I ask is because I am 99 percent sure that my garage just ****ed me over.

I will usually look at stuff myself and see if I can resolve it however, two days ago as I am driving home from work and my car starts running really rough. The engine is shaking the car horribly and the engine light is flashing on and off. I happen to be pretty close to a garage that I had taken my vehicle to several years ago a few times. I always thought they treated me fair so instead of trying to drive it home and take a look I just stop in and ask if they can take a look and give me a call.

The next day I talk to them and they just say yeah, it just needed a tune up which they went ahead and did without my approval and charged me $255 dollars. That included a friendly oil change because,according to them, my sticker read it was way past due. I change my oil myself most times and this sticker was from like 4 oil changes ago. So it would have shown like 12,000 miles overdue :banghead:. I would think they would have understood that or at least asked.

Did I get ****ed on this or what? Do I have any course of action? Or should I just let it go?

Bwana
03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Did they give you the old parts from the "tune up?"

mlyonsd
03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
You should always tell a garage to give you an estimate before they do anything.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Did they give you the old parts from the "tune up?"

I didn't ask and they didn't offer. My guess is they probably did the tune up. I could easily just look under the hood to tell. I guess I am just more pissed they actually did it without asking me.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
You should always tell a garage to give you an estimate before they do anything.

I guess I always thought that was assumed. But that may just be my ignorance.

Sofa King
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
lesson learned i'm guessing.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
In some states it's illegal for a shop to perform any repairs over $100 without notifying you and getting your consen. I'd tell them youll be filing complaints with government agencies !he boasting them to anyone who will listen, starting online.

Lzen
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I guess I always thought that was assumed. But that may just be my ignorance.

It should be always assumed. And in my experience, most places will call before doing any work. But I still like to make sure I tell them when I drop off the vehicle. Obviously, you needed something done to fix your car. But who knows? Perhaps it was something as simple as bad gas (or moisture) at the bottom of your tank? Yes, it sounds like you (kinda) got screwed over. I would rip them for that. In the end just chalk it up to lesson learned.

ReynardMuldrake
03-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Can you call your bank and dispute the charges?

Demonpenz
03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Ford stands for "Fix it again tony"

Mr. Flopnuts
03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Ford stands for "Fix it again tony"

I love FORT.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Can you call your bank and dispute the charges?

I wouldn't think that would be a possibility since I did sign off on the receipt.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
In some states it's illegal for a shop to perform any repairs over $100 without notifying you and getting your consen. I'd tell them youll be filing complaints with government agencies !he boasting them to anyone who will listen, starting online.

Anyone know if Nebraska has any laws like this?

EWOK
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
In AZ you must have the customer approve all repairs by in writing or phone or the customer can legally take the car and pay the shop nothing but the agreed diagnostic charge.

Pants
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Put a quarter in your ass cause you played yourself.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Put a quarter in your ass cause you played yourself.

Well considering I just got through pulling the garages dick out it should go pretty easily.

Pants
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Well considering I just got through pulling the garages dick out it should go pretty easily.

LOL

Yeah, you should have probably refused to pay them. Every shop I have ever been to has always called before doing anything.

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
most generally i call first.

i have some people that trust me enough that if i fix it they just know i was right....

is your car better?

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
It should be always assumed. And in my experience, most places will call before doing any work. But I still like to make sure I tell them when I drop off the vehicle. Obviously, you needed something done to fix your car. But who knows? Perhaps it was something as simple as bad gas (or moisture) at the bottom of your tank? Yes, it sounds like you (kinda) got screwed over. I would rip them for that. In the end just chalk it up to lesson learned.

doubtful, the light was flashing because it was reading a misfire. electrical 99.9% of the time.

running lean usually wont make the light actually flash

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Any shop worth its salt will contact the customer before doing any work.

Frazod
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Ironically, "Repair Garage" perfectly fits my latest problem. The car is fine, but my goddamn garage door broke last night. A cable snapped on the spring over the door, rendering it nearly inoperable. And of course, this happened right as we had some friends come over who'd never been to our home before. Very embarrassing. :banghead:

Bearcat
03-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Yep... I had the same thing happen once. I was ticked off and the girl at the counter asked who I dealt with and said "yeah, he gets complaints about that." I haven't seen him since (and make sure I ask them to call first), so maybe enough people complained.

Anyway, someone told me they got out of paying for repairs in that kind of situation by basically ending the conversation with "Should I bring the cops into this and find out their opinion?"... regardless of whether that was actually word for word or whatever, they can't make improvements to your property without consent and then expect payment for it.

El Jefe
03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Do you expect a garage to call you before they make any repairs on your vehicle? The reason I ask is because I am 99 percent sure that my garage just ****ed me over.

I will usually look at stuff myself and see if I can resolve it however, two days ago as I am driving home from work and my car starts running really rough. The engine is shaking the car horribly and the engine light is flashing on and off. I happen to be pretty close to a garage that I had taken my vehicle to several years ago a few times. I always thought they treated me fair so instead of trying to drive it home and take a look I just stop in and ask if they can take a look and give me a call.

The next day I talk to them and they just say yeah, it just needed a tune up which they went ahead and did without my approval and charged me $255 dollars. That included a friendly oil change because,according to them, my sticker read it was way past due. I change my oil myself most times and this sticker was from like 4 oil changes ago. So it would have shown like 12,000 miles overdue :banghead:. I would think they would have understood that or at least asked.

Did I get ****ed on this or what? Do I have any course of action? Or should I just let it go?

No way I would have paid for that. In Ohio any repair that would cost over $25 dollars requires the shop to give either a written or an oral estimate. If you never ok'd the work or signed an estimate they legally have no footing to stand on. You cannot just assume and repair people's cars, thats ridiculous. What state are you in?

chiefforlife
03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
We have the customer authorize the diagnostic, we actually make it a point to let them know we will not go any further without speaking to them first. This makes them feel comfortable and lets them know we cant fix it unless we get a hold of them.
The shop should not have went ahead with the repairs without your authorization. That being said, they did fix your car so I would think you would pay them. 255 for a diagnostic and a tune up is pretty cheap.

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 11:14 AM
We have the customer authorize the diagnostic, we actually make it a point to let them know we will not go any further without speaking to them first. This makes them feel comfortable and lets them know we cant fix it unless we get a hold of them.
The shop should not have went ahead with the repairs without your authorization. That being said, they did fix your car so I would think you would pay them. 255 for a diagnostic and a tune up is pretty cheap.

THIS

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM

I did pay, I am just a little PO'd because I could have done it myself for much less had I know what it was. I pay them 50 for the diagnostics and another 60 or 70 for the parts to do the tune up myself.

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I did pay, I am just a little PO'd because I could have done it myself for much less had I know what it was. I pay them 50 for the diagnostics and another 60 or 70 for the parts to do the tune up myself.Did you ask them why they did the work without contacting you?

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Did you ask them why they did the work without contacting you?

I should have, but I am usually more of the type to just say fuck it I won't take my business back there.

Phobia
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think you got screwed. What happened was a miscommunication. But you didn't get screwed at all. If you change your own oil, they probably saved you an hour of your time and dirty hands for $10. Is your time worth $10?

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you. If the shop was dishonest they'd have bent you over for way more than $250.

googlegoogle
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Once had the police called by the repair place because we wouldn't pay the charges.

Tell them you wont pay. Let them call the police. Tell them your story.

Happened to us too. Police might push for a deal.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't think you got screwed. What happened was a miscommunication. But you didn't get screwed at all. If you change your own oil, they probably saved you an hour of your time and dirty hands for $10. Is your time worth $10?

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you. If the shop was dishonest they'd have bent you over for way more than $250.

The oil was the least of my concern. I could have done the tune up for 60 or 70 dollars.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 01:48 PM
No way I would have paid for that. In Ohio any repair that would cost over $25 dollars requires the shop to give either a written or an oral estimate. If you never ok'd the work or signed an estimate they legally have no footing to stand on. You cannot just assume and repair people's cars, thats ridiculous. What state are you in?

Nebraska

MOhillbilly
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
our inshop service rates are 95 an hour.

Phobia
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
The oil was the least of my concern. I could have done the tune up for 60 or 70 dollars.

Okay, then call the shop owner. Explain your position. If he works with you then he's stand up and you should keep him on your list. If he stiffs you then don't go back. I'd imagine he'll do his best to work with you as long as you're nice about it.

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 02:09 PM

i didnt catch what you drive but if it has platinum plugs and he went OE i would bet they COST 6 bucks. GOOD wires are about 30-50 bucks, fuel filter air filter etc.

might have been more than 60-70 if you didnt cut corners.

mlyonsd
03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Nebraska

You don't have an OU sticker on the window or bumper do you?

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 03:21 PM
i didnt catch what you drive but if it has platinum plugs and he went OE i would bet they COST 6 bucks. GOOD wires are about 30-50 bucks, fuel filter air filter etc.

might have been more than 60-70 if you didnt cut corners.

Invoice just has plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It is a 99 Honda Accord 4 banger.

BigRichard
03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
You don't have an OU sticker on the window or bumper do you?

LMAO

Nope, and no other stickers that could make them hate on me. Maybe they just hate rock n' roll and that is what I had on the radio... :shrug:

Baconeater
03-11-2011, 03:44 PM
You're in Omaha, right? Just out of curiosity, what shop was it?

Baconeater
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Cap and rotor? On a 99 Honda? I would think that would have a distributorless ignition.

Buck
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Copied from the facebook post I just made.

Okay so I was headed to Target and my car just stops idling. Unless Gas is getting into the engine the engine just dies. So I take it to Tune Craft on Jackson and La Mesa and the guy literally diagnosed it and fixed it for free for me. I have another unrelated problem that I told him I would bring my car back tomorrow for him to fix, but man I feel like I need to pay it forward.

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM

IIRC thats is a pretty expensive cap.

JASONSAUTO
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Copied from the facebook post I just made.

Okay so I was headed to Target and my car just stops idling. Unless Gas is getting into the engine the engine just dies. So I take it to Tune Craft on Jackson and La Mesa and the guy literally diagnosed it and fixed it for free for me. I have another unrelated problem that I told him I would bring my car back tomorrow for him to fix, but man I feel like I need to pay it forward.

i bet he cleaned the throttle plates, or a broken vacuum hose.

i do the same thing quite often. usually i have that customer from then on....

Buck
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
i bet he cleaned the throttle plates, or a broken vacuum hose.

i do the same thing quite often. usually i have that customer from then on....

Yeah he cleaned the throttle plates.