PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Lockout threatens to hamper Cassel’s offseason development

Tribal Warfare
03-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Lockout threatens to hamper Cassel’s offseason development (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/12/2721080/lockout-threatens-to-hamper-cassels.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Rich Gannon and Trent Green speak from experience. Each former Chiefs quarterback was once much where Matt Cassel is now: Up and running as the team’s starter but trying to establish himself as a viable long-term solution at a most important position.

Gannon experienced a player strike as a rookie with Minnesota in 1987; Green never did. But both know the value of offseason work to a quarterback and think a prolonged NFL work stoppage this year would set Cassel back.

The only question is how much.

“The offseason is when a quarterback can make most of his improvement,” Gannon said. “There are a lot of areas you can improve on during the offseason. Matt Cassel did a lot of good things last year, but there are a lot of things he can improve on.

“Offseason is the only time to do that. You don’t have time to do that during the season. There’s travel and meetings and practice. You can make little corrections, but the offseason is the time you get the good work in. That’s when you work on your individual game.”

The Chiefs face a number of offseason issues, and many of them are on hold until the NFL’s labor situation is settled. Among them is what happens to Cassel, who had a breakthrough season last year, his second as the Chiefs starter.

“The development of Matt Cassel is a key ingredient in us continuing to make progress,” coach Todd Haley said.

Cassel led the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and their first AFC West title since 2003 and made the Pro Bowl as an alternate choice when an injured Tom Brady backed out.

But his season, like that of the Chiefs, finished with miserable performances against Oakland and then in a 30-7 home playoff loss to Baltimore, leaving no doubt Cassel was still a work in progress.

Since the end of the season, the Chiefs promoted offensive line coach Bill Muir to coordinator and hired Jim Zorn as their quarterback coach. In announcing Zorn’s hiring, Haley said one reason he had selected Zorn, a former NFL quarterback, was his track record in working with passers.

The Chiefs and Cassel would normally begin their offseason conditioning program late this month, and that’s when they would begin laying the groundwork for next season. Now, with players locked out by the owners, there’s uncertainty when or even if the Chiefs will start their offseason work.

“You’d like to spend April, May and June with your new quarterback coach, just so the quarterback coach can figure out the player and the player can figure out the quarterback coach,” Green said. “How is that relationship going to work? What are the expectations on each side? Those are things that usually get worked out in the (offseason practices). That’s the part that’s going to be missed.”

Gannon said the offseason is the time to build relationships with coaches, an advantage Cassel might not get soon.

“There’s been a lot of change around Matt the last three years. Now he’s got a new quarterback coach. They’ve got to get to know each other,” Gannon said. “He’s got to find out what Jim is all about, how Jim Zorn coaches, how Jim teaches. He’s got to learn how Bill Muir is going to install the run game.

“This certainly doesn’t help him. It certainly doesn’t help any quarterback. The offseason is really where you get a leg up on the competition.

“Look at Aaron Rodgers’ development over the last few years. The guy’s been committed to the offseason program, and he made so many strides in his individual game based on what he’s been able to accomplish in the offseason.

“One year, Jon Gruden charted all of my throws on a particular route, a slant route. On those throws to my left, I missed the throw way too many times. That offseason, I worked on that constantly. I worked on that in practice. I made extra throws after practice. And, you know, the following year I didn’t miss one of those throws in a game.”

Cassel will be prohibited from working or even communicating with Haley, Muir and Zorn as long as the players are locked out. Gannon suggested Cassel attempt to simulate his normal offseason routine as best he can.

“Somebody needs to tell him he’s competing against guys like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, guys who are so (driven) they won’t deviate from their usual schedule,” Gannon said. “Those guys are going to figure out what they normally do in March, what they normally do in April, what they normally do in May and try to duplicate it. They’re going to try to find a way as best they can to duplicate their normal routine.

“So he has to do that, too. He’ll never be able to put a minicamp together. But he has to be able to get eight or 10 skill players in there and try to do some drills. Even that is going to be difficult. Players won’t all have the same commitment level. Not everyone is going to have the same willingness to fight through it. That’s going to be the challenge.”

Easy 6
03-13-2011, 03:14 AM
Matt Cassel = Jim Everett with less arm, but more heart.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Men have cock and balls, women have vaginas.

News at 11pm.

pr_capone
03-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Men have cock and balls, women have vaginas.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQvnZOR_oIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

salame
How much does Cassel being terrible hamper his development?

CrazyPhuD
No matter how much you polish a turd...in the end it's still just a turd.

DaneMcCloud
03-13-2011, 03:29 AM
No matter how much you polish a turd...in the end it's still just a turd.

But if it's shiny enough, it's difficult to look at straight in its brown eye.

Crush
03-13-2011, 05:39 AM
He will become a solid quarterback for the Chiefs

If Jim Zorn can make that happen, he should be immediately inducted into the Hall of Fame as the QB Coach of all time.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-13-2011, 09:21 AM
*Waits patiently for the "more excuses for the True Fans when he fails" post*

Baconeater
03-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Meh, just more excuses for the true fans when he fails.

loochy
03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Look at the bright side: the lockout will serve to run a year off his contract so we can get rid of him sooner.

Bwana
03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
LMAO

milkman
03-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Meh, just more excuses for the true fans when he fails.

I have watched every game, but two, that Cassel has played in the NFL.

I saw progress last year, something I hadn't seen in his previous two years with New England and KC.

I guess I'm a true fan now, because, based on the progress he made last season, I believe an offseason of work with a dedicated QB coach, especially one that has been as successful as Zorn, would have been a tremendous opportunity for Cassel to further that progression.

Spott
03-13-2011, 09:36 AM
One good thing about a lockout would be not having to see him in a Chiefs uniform all year.

Coogs
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I saw progress last year, something I hadn't seen in his previous two years with New England and KC.

I guess I'm a true fan now, because, based on the progress he made last season, I believe an offseason of work with a dedicated QB coach, especially one that has been as successful as Zorn, would have been a tremendous opportunity for Cassel to further that progression.

I pretty much in agreement with this. Hence, I would not draft a QB in this draft... at least early. I would spend all of our early draft picks on positions of need this season.

And I would trade back if at all possible in an attempt to pick up an extra 1st rounder next season. If Cassel continues to progress, then you have 2 first rounders to pick up difference makers next year in the draft that could put us over the top.

And if Cassel doesn't continue to progress... make a move for Luck.

JASONSAUTO
03-13-2011, 11:53 AM
ThisI pretty much in agreement with this. Hence, I would not draft a QB in this draft... at least early. I would spend all of our early draft picks on positions of need this season.

And I would trade back if at all possible in an attempt to pick up an extra 1st rounder next season. If Cassel continues to progress, then you have 2 first rounders to pick up difference makers next year in the draft that could put us over the top.

And if Cassel doesn't continue to progress... make a move for Luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefaholic
03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Matt Cassel = Jim Everett with less arm, but more heart.

Don't you mean Chris Everett? [/Jim Rome]

Shogun
03-13-2011, 12:08 PM
I guess all the Cassel lovers were right, Matt Cassel will still be our QB in 2012.

Dave Lane
03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Holy shit a optimistic milkman! The world really may end in 2012. That said well put. He did make the Probowl deserved or not. I think he made major strides last year. If he makes as big a leap this year he will be borderline elite.

Bewbies
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Count me in the group that would love to move back so we have ammo for next year after Cassel sucks ass again.

I wonder if there are articles in every NFL city each off season about the progression of their QB? LMAO

Saccopoo
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
"We can make a play for Luck."

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds/is?

If they can hash out the minor differences and the season is back on with a rookie salary cap in place, do you seriously think that a team drafting at the top that most likely needs a quarterback is not going to draft him? The only way that doesn't happen is if some team goes full retard, pulls a Ditka, and gives away their entire draft.

However, looking at the Chiefs potential schedule in 2011, we very well might be drafting number one overall anyway. This team, as it now stands, is going to get hammered next season. We are going to see 10 of the top pass rushing teams in the league in 2010 and our offensive line, if it remains status quo, will be absolutely shredded, particularly on the edge(s).

Coogs
03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
"We can make a play for Luck."

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds/is?

If they can hash out the minor differences and the season is back on with a rookie salary cap in place, do you seriously think that a team drafting at the top that most likely needs a quarterback is not going to draft him? The only way that doesn't happen is if some team goes full retard, pulls a Ditka, and gives away their entire draft.

However, looking at the Chiefs potential schedule in 2011, we very well might be drafting number one overall anyway. This team, as it now stands, is going to get hammered next season. We are going to see 10 of the top pass rushing teams in the league in 2010 and our offensive line, if it remains status quo, will be absolutely shredded, particularly on the edge(s).

I don't think it sounds that ridiculous. If Cassel goes backwards... which I think is possible and have discussed in other threads on how... our draft pick could be in the 10 range next draft. If we had another 1st rounder... even a later one... it would put us at the top of the teams with the ability to move up to #1.

The second key to the deal would probably be that you would hope that a team that drafts a QB in the 1st round this season winds up with the #1 overall pick next season, and is looking for draft picks to continue building their team at other positions.

Frazod
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, considering how well he performed in his last two games, stopping that trend isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Start Croyle
03-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Cassell played hard and worked to earn the respect of Kansas City.

But smart fans know that he is only a stepping stone until the Chiefs find a real QB! Cassell will not and cannot lead the Chiefs to the superbowl!

Cassell is merely an acceptable placeholder until a franchise QB emerges, either from within the Chiefs organization (Croyle) or through a trade (Kolb???).

milkman
03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Cassell played hard and worked to earn the respect of Kansas City.

But smart fans know that he is only a stepping stone until the Chiefs find a real QB! Cassell will not and cannot lead the Chiefs to the superbowl!

Cassell is merely an acceptable placeholder until a franchise QB emerges, either from within the Chiefs organization (Croyle) or through a trade (Kolb???).

In case no one has told you yet, let me just say to you that your belief that Croyle is anything more than a scrub, who probably couldn't start in the UFL, shows that you are a huge dumbass.

jAZ
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm one who has a long leash for Pioli, Haley and Cassel, but I don't buy this for a minute.

Cassel knows the offense, knows who most if not all of his receivers are or will be, and has the money to go hire a temporary QB/OC. Build his own coaching staff and run the off season workouts himself.

Not perfect, but incredibly straight forward.

Coogs
03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
If the Panthers do take Newton at #1 overall, and finish with the top pick next season as well, then that exact scenario I am talking about could play out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/03/16/morning.jolt.march.16/index.html?eref=sihp

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
"Cassel will be prohibited from working or even communicating with Haley, Muir and Zorn as long as the players are locked out."

Since there is no players union, what prevents a coach from speaking with a player? What is the penalty?

suds79
03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think it sounds that ridiculous. If Cassel goes backwards... which I think is possible and have discussed in other threads on how... our draft pick could be in the 10 range next draft. If we had another 1st rounder... even a later one... it would put us at the top of the teams with the ability to move up to #1.

Eh it sounds nice and all but with as much hype as their is about how good Luck is going to be, nobody is trading out of that spot.

The only way to land Luck is to have the #1 overall pick and while this team might not duplicate last season's success, there's no way they're that bad. At least we shouldn't hope they are. That would mean several things went wrong and a lot of our young players aren't as good as we thought.

Coogs
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Eh it sounds nice and all but with as much hype as their is about how good Luck is going to be, nobody is trading out of that spot.

The only way to land Luck is to have the #1 overall pick and while this team might not duplicate last season's success, there's no way they're that bad. At least we shouldn't hope they are. That would mean several things went wrong and a lot of our young players aren't as good as we thought.

So if the Panthers draft Newton #1 overall this season, and have the #1 overall next season as well, they take Luck too?

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
So if the Panthers draft Newton #1 overall this season, and have the #1 overall next season as well, they take Luck too?

If they only have to pay him 3 million a year, maybe. They could trade Clausen.

suds79
03-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I don't see them drafting Newton #1 overall.

Say they did though. How often has a team drafted back to back #1 overall?

I'm just saying that whoever is drafts #1 overall next year, there's a strong chance they don't have a QB IMO.

Trust me I'd love to have any QB other then Matt right now. Particularly Luck. I just can't see it. The possibility IMO is so small, I can't even bring myself to hope for it for I'd be wasting my time.

Coogs
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't see them drafting Newton #1 overall.

Say they did though. How often has a team drafted back to back #1 overall?

I'm just saying that whoever is drafts #1 overall next year, there's a strong chance they don't have a QB IMO.

Trust me I'd love to have any QB other then Matt right now. Particularly Luck. I just can't see it. The possibility IMO is so small, I can't even bring myself to hope for it for I'd be wasting my time.

Check this out...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/03/16/morning.jolt.march.16/index.html?eref=sihp

Coogs
03-16-2011, 09:27 AM
And I do agree the chance would be very slim on actually getting the #1 overall next year by any method. But none the less, I think it would be a good idea to position ourselves just in case. We could fill needs without reaching on both lines and a couple of other areas. And if it doesn't work out next draft... or Cassel continues to get better and we don't need a QB... then there will surely be two players in next years 1st round that could be difference makers that could put us over the top. The WR from Oklahoma State for instance.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Check this out...

smokescreen

Coogs
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
smokescreen

Possible.

Fish
03-16-2011, 11:10 AM
In related news.....

A butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world could potentially hamper Matt Cassel's offseason development....

Sofa King
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
In related news.....

A butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world could potentially hamper Matt Cassel's offseason development....

I'd say it's considerably more than a butterfly flapping it's wings over there.

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Since there is no union, why can't Cassell sign a contract to work with Jim Zorn, LLC during the offseason?

Discuss Thrower
03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd say it's considerably more than a butterfly flapping it's wings over there.
And by butterfly you mean a 260lb OLB and by flapping its wings you mean blowing right past Barry Richardson?

Von Dumbass
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
smokescreen

Why would you need to put out a smokescreen when you have the #1 overall pick?

I honestly don't think teams will be fighting over Cam Newton to move up to #1 to get him. With Luck, yes, but not with Newton.

Dayze
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the fact that Cassel sucks, could hamper his development.

JD10367
03-16-2011, 12:55 PM
A sensationalist headline from an old story. It actually refers to an event in last year's training camp where he lost his car keys and couldn't figure out what to do next, and they found him a week later unconscious in the driveway next to the car.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Why would you need to put out a smokescreen when you have the #1 overall pick?

I honestly don't think teams will be fighting over Cam Newton to move up to #1 to get him. With Luck, yes, but not with Newton.

possible trade opportunities, and no one shows their hand this early anyway

Coogs
03-17-2011, 08:27 AM
possible trade opportunities, and no one shows their hand this early anyway

Could be. They don't have their 2nd rounder, which is the first pick in that round too. Which plays into the fact that if they do draft Newton, they still could be a bad football team next year, and in need of draft picks in the 2012 draft to fill out their roster. Be nice to have draft picks to try and entice them into a trade if Cassel does not improve.

Rausch
03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I think the fact that Cassel sucks, could hamper his development.

At least we know what the excuse will be this year...

Reerun_KC
03-17-2011, 08:48 AM
This thread needs a tampon.....

Coogs
03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
This thread needs a tampon.....

Why? Because there is somewhat civil football discussion going on? I thought it was kind of refreshing for a change.

Reerun_KC
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Why? Because there is somewhat civil football discussion going on? I thought it was kind of refreshing for a change.

Its just more of the same... I want Cassel replaced just like the next Chiefs fan, but it wont happen.

Rausch
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Its just more of the same... I want Cassel replaced just like the next Chiefs fan, but it wont happen.

It just might.

Only problem is his replacement, and teammates, might have the athletic ability of the average poster in the DC forum...