PDA

View Full Version : Religion Westboro Baptist Scum to protest funeral of seven children

healthpellets
03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe they'll recognize their sins when one of their children dies. :banghead:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/westboro_baptist_church_plans_1.html

Westboro Baptist Church plan to picket fire victims' funeral met with shield efforts

Published: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 11:20 AM Updated: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

Two thousand programs are being printed for the funerals of the seven siblings that died Tuesday night when their Perry County farmhouse caught fire.

Family friend Lawrence Hurst holds photos of one of the Clouse children that he pulled from the rubble of the family home as it was being torn down Friday afternoon. The Clouse family lost 7 of their 8 children in a fire that ripped through their Perry County home earlier this week.

The family wants everyone — family, friends and complete strangers — touched by the tragedy in this small farming community to have one, grandfather Noah Sauder said.

Funeral is Tuesday.

But not all who show up will be welcomed.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church have threatened to picket the service, and that has incited a huge backlash from people who want to shield the hateful protests from the grieving family.

“We just think it’s wrong. It’s just absolutely wrong,” said Kendra Shaffer, who plans to drive to the service in Perry County from her home in Newville and form a human chain to block Westboro’s signature signs and parody songs.

The church’s members typically wave brightly colored signs saying God hates the United States for the country’s tolerance of gay rights. They’ve targeted military funerals because soldiers act in support of the country.
“My heart aches for these people who have lost these children in such a tragedy,” Shaffer said. “There’s nothing else I can do for this family but keep these idiots from making a mockery of this whole situation. It just breaks my heart.”

At least four Facebook groups and a Twitter page started when Westboro announced its plans Friday morning. E-mails and phone calls poured into the church and the Perry County district attorney’s office.

Even Sen. Bob Casey Jr. encouraged push-back.

“If this protest goes forward, I hope that the people of Perry County and the midstate will come out to support the family,” Casey said.
The reaction has been so great, organizers are worried the counter effort has grown too big.

“I’m really heartened by the response,” Laura Mathews said. “I’m almost worried it’s too many.”

The Facebook group she created, “Peaceful Barrier at Clouse Family Funeral,” exploded to almost 500 members within hours.

Ted Clouse, the father of the 7 children killed in a house fire Tuesday evening in Blain, Pa., works in the barn early Thursday morning. " I want to stay here on the farm, he said. "The farm was not the reason they died. My wife says she wants to leave."

“I would love to convince people that it’s nice that people want to support them, but I can’t imagine it’s something the family really wants,” said Alanna Berger, executive director for Silent Witness Peacekeepers Alliance. By family invitation only, her group uses multicolored umbrellas to shield the view of Westboro protests.

“Normally, what we try to do is control counter protesters that are likely to show up,” she said. What they don’t want is what police fear: hundreds of screaming, angry people and anyone resorting to violence.

Many of the groups, like Berger’s, that do this regularly for military families said they won’t act as shields unless they get a request from the family.
The Patriot Guard Riders, which uses motorcycles to protect military funerals, said it can’t go as an organized group because this doesn’t fit its strict mission. Members are free to go on their own.

But there’s one group that doesn’t need an invitation.
“Just because of this threat, there will be some troopers there,” Perry County District Attorney Charles F. Chenot III said. “But under the law, they’re allowed to be there.”

Under state law, the Westboro members must to keep at least 500 yards away from the service. They can be anywhere the public can stand, but they could be arrested for making too much noise or invading the service.
Westboro member Margie Phelps said that won’t be a problem.

Margie Phelps, second from right, a daughter of Fred Phelps, and the lawyer who argued the case for of the Westboro Baptist Church, of Tokepa Kan., walks from the Supreme Court, in Washington in 2006.

“We never go to burials, and we don’t go into funerals,” she said. “We stand a distance away before it starts and answer the public crowd on the sidewalk. Stop sinning, and your kids will stop dying.”

Phelps knows the law well. In fact, she just argued before the U.S. Supreme Court and won a free speech lawsuit for the group. They were being sued by a York County father whose son’s military funeral was the target of one of their protests.

Showing up Tuesday morning is a response to that, Phelps said. Here is the church's press release: Westboro.PDF

“We’re coming to Pennsylvania because the entire state enabled a Pennsylvanian and a few Pennsylvanian lawyers to try to declare war on God,” Phelps said. “It was an epic failure, and now God is punishing the state.”

The church has threatened to picket funerals in Perry County before but then didn’t show up.

Chenot said he hopes that this, too, is an empty threat.

“I suspect this is just to get attention,” he said. “That’s the only reason I can think they would want to attend this funeral. ... I’m baffled that they would choose this.”

State police aren’t commenting on what presence they’ll have. And some people have expressed concern on Internet message boards that a community response will only make the situation worse.

“But we’re not going for that church,” said Jamie Louden-Fritz, who lives in New Buffalo, Perry County.
“We’re going to support the family, so that the family does not have to see or hear the church if they do show up,” Louden-Fritz said. “They’re already suffering such a horrible thing, and to have a group of people wanting to just spew hatred when you are trying to lay your children to rest is just really upsetting.”

KCinNY
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Someday...these lowlifes are going to picket the wrong funeral and end up as a cluster of dead or wounded drive-by victims.

Just sayin.'

mlyonsd
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Someday...these lowlifes are going to picket the wrong funeral and end up as a cluster of dead or wounded drive-by victims.

Just sayin.'

Runaway Toyota passenger bus doing about 70.

Seriously if it were my 7 kids that died we definitely would have some kind of confrontation.

vailpass
03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Everytime you comment on something they are doing they win.

healthpellets
03-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Everytime you comment on something they are doing they win.

Do they hate us for our freedoms?

Radar Chief
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Do they hate us for our freedoms?

Is being gay considered a freedom?

chiefsnorth
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
These scum owe Chiefsplanet a debt of gratitude. They would be well pleased with all the free publicity people give them here.

RedNeckRaider
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Maybe they'll recognize their sins when one of their children dies. :banghead:

No they will not...they will blame it on gay people~

ClevelandBronco
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
[Obligatory angry response with threat of what I'd do to them.]

kcfanXIII
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
There should be a "WBC scum thread" like the knowmo thread. Just lump all their BS together.

banyon
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
People HAVE to stop paying attention to these f*cks. It's the only way.

healthpellets
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
People HAVE to stop paying attention to these f*cks. It's the only way.

well, it's not the ONLY way...:evil:

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM

Just sayin.'

We can only hope. I am simply amazed that it hasn't happened already.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
"Why does the Lord above us, who must be in the know...think so little of us he won't drop moonrocks on Westboro?"