PDA

View Full Version : Misc Gun question

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
For the gun guys here, I'm looking at a pre ban ak-47, all original yugoslav parts and an m1 garand with a receiver stamped from general motors, both are pretty rare and hard to find, I can't make up my mind, same price for both. Decisions, decisions...

Gonzo
03-13-2011, 05:31 PM
M1
All day long. You just can't find them with that stamp anymore. (If it's a good deal)

The AK is neat and all but man, that M1 is a piece of history.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Well AK semi? Or AK Full auto?

From what I've heard about AK semi's is that you'll get a higher quality gun if you buy a saiga and convert it than any of the clones. I've heard good things about the yugo's but the saiga is the russian made original. Just the conversion process can be a bit annoying.

On that account I'd vote the M1 over the yugo.

tmax63
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
You can't go wrong with a garand

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been leaning more towards the M1 for a few reasons, but finding an ak that has the original rifled barrel and original receiver is almost impossible. They are both $650. Garands normally sell alot higher than that. I can afford both, I just can't justify it to myself to do it.

seclark
03-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I've been leaning more towards the M1 for a few reasons, but finding an ak that has the original rifled barrel and original receiver is almost impossible. They are both $650. Garands normally sell alot higher than that. I can afford both, I just can't justify it to myself to do it.

then do it.
sec

tmax63
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Sounds like an investment to me. That's what I tell momma and she fakes believing me.

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
then do it.
sec

That would make it 3 gun purchases in less than a week. I just bought a springfield xd-9 subcompact for my ccw a few days ago, 1 pistol and 1 rifle in a week I can do.

Hog Farmer
03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Why don't you buy a gun you can use for something instead ?

JASONSAUTO
03-13-2011, 06:09 PM
That would make it 3 gun purchases in less than a week. I just bought a springfield xd-9 subcompact for my ccw a few days ago, 1 pistol and 1 rifle in a week I can do.

I like my xd 9. Good gun
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
03-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Garand is a great hunting rifle. If you still have your eyes.
Im sure you know this. But just in case.
A Garand cant shoot modern powder,without having the gas block smith ed or buy a gas block. Other than that. :thumb:

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM

I've got a thing for old rifles, for a while I was trying to get a rifle from every county involved in WWll. I have/had at one point a british 303, a japanese ariska, a russian mosin nagant, a swiss K1, and a german gewher(spell). Sold a few of them. This purchase isn't so much about functionality as it is my nerdy obsession with old firearms.

teedubya
03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I've got a thing for old rifles, for a while I was trying to get a rifle from every county involved in WWll. I have/had at one point a british 303, a japanese ariska, a russian mosin nagant, a swiss K1, and a german gewher(spell). Sold a few of them. This purchase isn't so much about functionality as it is my nerdy obsession with old firearms.

The Russian Mosin Nagant has a helluva kick. I had to get a rifle butt cover... lol. That thing with its metal butt could throw a shoulder out. heh. And Jesus do you need earplugs with that sum'bitch.

Hog Farmer
03-13-2011, 06:42 PM

You've got too much money. You should be buying rice and sending it to japan to help the homeless.

btlook1
03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
You've got too much money. You should be buying rice and sending it to japan to help the homeless.

Better yet I would like a new AR10 or so....Screw the AK....Might want to think about filling up the freezer as hog farmer suggested a few weeks ago. Wifey said groceries have went up in the last 3 weeks or so...glad I got a beef in the freezer and a hog going to the locker soon to.

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
The Russian Mosin Nagant has a helluva kick. I had to get a rifle butt cover... lol. That thing with its metal butt could throw a shoulder out. heh. And Jesus do you need earplugs with that sum'bitch.

Did you have the full size or the para trooper carbine?

dmahurin
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Better yet I would like a new AR10 or so....Screw the AK....Might want to think about filling up the freezer as hog farmer suggested a few weeks ago. Wifey said groceries have went up in the last 3 weeks or so...glad I got a beef in the freezer and a hog going to the locker soon to.

I'll use the guns to fill the freezer.

Radar Chief
03-13-2011, 07:20 PM
M1
All day long. You just can't find them with that stamp anymore. (If it's a good deal)

The AK is neat and all but man, that M1 is a piece of history.
Posted via Mobile Device

^Yup.

WV
03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd get both......

johnny961
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
M1 Garand, by far. But, that being said, I'm not personally a big fan of the AK. I don't like the styling of the AK. And if functionality is a concern, like for hunting, the 30-06(which is what the Garand is chambered in if I'm not mistaken) is far superior ballistically to the 7.62X39 that the AK is chambered in. Presonally the only way I would buy an AK is if I just happened to run across one for a REAL GOOD deal. I just don't care for them enough to justify spending a considerable amount of money on an AK.

Gonzo
03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I've got a 7mm mauser that I totally finished. Made a stock for it that is pine and walnut swirled, black chromed the barrel and receiver and retooled the rifling. Damn thing is amazing. I still shoot the 139 grain bullet that was made for it back in the 1930's and I'm getting a 2 inch group at 200 yards. This rifle probably shot one or two people in WWII.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
You can get a Saiga .308 for a lot cheaper than an AK and it's a much more accurate and powerful rifle.

Saiga .308 with rail and 9x Leopold will end up being less then $800, yet it is highly capable.

I have a M1 Garand, and it is an amazing piece of equipment. I can consistantly knock down bowling pins from 100 yards with a quick aim. I can't imagine how the Germans fought against the Garand with a Mauser. They are on completely different levels.

LiveSteam
03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199521_1595803738595_1341005971_1287956_7161113_s.jpg

This weekends feather murder

Frazod
03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
M1 Garand, by far. But, that being said, I'm not personally a big fan of the AK. I don't like the styling of the AK. And if functionality is a concern, like for hunting, the 30-06(which is what the Garand is chambered in if I'm not mistaken) is far superior ballistically to the 7.62X39 that the AK is chambered in. Presonally the only way I would buy an AK is if I just happened to run across one for a REAL GOOD deal. I just don't care for them enough to justify spending a considerable amount of money on an AK.

I had fun shooting an AK, but when it came down to getting that or an AR and I went with the AR for accuracy. Well, that was the main reason. I also just can't shake the idea of an AK being a "bad guy" gun. As Gunny Highway said, it is the preferred weapon of our enemies - every commie insurgent, terrorist scumbag and Somali pirate's got one. The idea of actually owning one just seems.... wrong to me at some base level. I know that may seem a bit silly, but I really just have no desire to ever own one.

Hog Farmer
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll use the guns to fill the freezer.

:thumb:

johnny961
03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I had fun shooting an AK, but when it came down to getting that or an AR and I went with the AR for accuracy. Well, that was the main reason. I also just can't shake the idea of an AK being a "bad guy" gun. As Gunny Highway said, it is the preferred weapon of our enemies - every commie insurgent, terrorist scumbag and Somali pirate's got one. The idea of actually owning one just seems.... wrong to me at some base level. I know that may seem a bit silly, but I really just have no desire to ever own one.

You bring up a good point on the AR. It is FAR more accurate than the AK. I never really thought about the bad guy gun thing but it makes some sense.

DaFace
03-13-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm not a gun guy, but I'm curious...have any of you guys seen Sons of Guns on the Discovery Channel? Fun show for a guy like me who knows nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
03-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm not a gun guy, but I'm curious...have any of you guys seen Sons of Guns on the Discovery Channel? Fun show for a guy like me who knows nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've caught it a few times. They actually manufacture a lot of weapons which is pretty cool.
I saw parts of one today where they were looking at an antique rifle, (can't remember the model, think it was civil war era) that had a coffee grinder attached to the stock. He said it was worth around 50k if it was real.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
I bought an AR-10 a couple years ago. The .308 is nice . Put a Shepherd scope on it and anything moving within 500 yards bigger than a knat is toast.

johnny961
03-13-2011, 11:32 PM
I bought an AR-10 a couple years ago. The .308 is nice . Put a Shepherd scope on it and anything moving within 500 yards bigger than a knat is toast.

That AR-10 is a nice rifle. I don't own one YET but have shot several and liked them. And the .308 is a very good round.

CrazyPhuD
03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
That AR-10 is a nice rifle. I don't own one YET but have shot several and liked them. And the .308 is a very good round.

The problem with the AR-10 is that it's not really standardized. Unlike the AR-15.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Colt CM901

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rLx2SVpcOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5.56 and 7.62 in the same lower.

johnny961
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
The problem with the AR-10 is that it's not really standardized. Unlike the AR-15.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Colt CM901

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rLx2SVpcOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5.56 and 7.62 in the same lower.

Damn...sounds sweet. Hadn't looked much into them. Only thing I would wonder is whether or not there would be feeding/reliability issues when utilizing the 5.56 upper in this lower, seeing that the 5.56 is a physically shorter round than the .308.