PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 22

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 06:50 PM
An interesting combination of songs here. Let's see who wins.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I implore people to give Darlington County a listen. It's from the Born in the USA album, and it's a great song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X8_h5iDU1iA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru
03-13-2011, 07:14 PM
I'll vote for this version of Dylan:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OJrHbf-w0xA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Through 10 votes, only 4 songs have votes (and one of them only has 1; probably another obligatory "DYLAN!!!" vote...even though that guy sucks).

Yeah, there were three clear winners in this heat and it shouldn't be close.

Baconeater
03-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Hmmm...none of those songs really do a whole lot for me. But I'm in a good mood so I'm going to throw Rain Man a bone and vote Springsteen.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:27 PM
My thinking on the subject:

The Ballad of TV Violence, Cheap Trick - Seemed kind of generic to me. Not even Cheap Trick's best work.

Darlington County, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - If you like rock and you like guitars and you like road trip songs, you should vote for this song. #1 vote.

Submission, The Sex Pistols - Okay. Nothing brilliant, but okay. Not worth a vote in this heat.

Man in the Box, Alice in Chains - Don't see a single redeeming feature about this song. I'd vote for the Barney song before I'd vote for this.

My Back Pages, Bob Dylan - In a relatively shallow heat, I'll give Dylan a #3 vote just for the line, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Dream On, Aerosmith - I'm fine if this moves on. I almost voted for it, and it's a pretty good song.

Murder, Jack Green - No redeeming features. Made it halfway through before I went to the next song.

We Will Rock You, Queen - Pretty obvious that this needs to move on. It's iconic. Gets my #2 vote.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmmm...none of those songs really do a whole lot for me. But I'm in a good mood so I'm going to throw Rain Man a bone and vote Springsteen.

High-five, man. High five.

Pitt Gorilla
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM

The Ballad of TV Violence, Cheap Trick - Seemed kind of generic to me. Not even Cheap Trick's best work.

Darlington County, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - If you like rock and you like guitars and you like road trip songs, you should vote for this song. #1 vote.

Submission, The Sex Pistols - Okay. Nothing brilliant, but okay. Not worth a vote in this heat.

Man in the Box, Alice in Chains - Don't see a single redeeming feature about this song. I'd vote for the Barney song before I'd vote for this.

My Back Pages, Bob Dylan - In a relatively shallow heat, I'll give Dylan a #3 vote just for the line, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Dream On, Aerosmith - I'm fine if this moves on. I almost voted for it, and it's a pretty good song.

Murder, Jack Green - No redeeming features. Made it halfway through before I went to the next song.

We Will Rock You, Queen - Pretty obvious that this needs to move on. It's iconic. Gets my #2 vote.I can't imagine ANYONE not liking Man in the Box. I mean, WTF?

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I can't imagine ANYONE not liking Man in the Box. I mean, WTF?

I dunno. Maybe if Dylan did a cover of it I'd like it better.

rockymtnchief
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Seen Wayne handcuffed to the bumper of a state troopers Ford.

KC Tattoo
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Big fan of the Sex Pistols

RIP Mike Starr Alice in Chains

We will Rock You, Queen if that song doesn't rock nothing does.

patteeu
03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
The Sex Pistols song is my favorite of this batch. Darlington County is fun and it's the kind of Springsteen song I can support. My third vote could have gone to Dream On, but instead I gave it to Queen.

Ebolapox
03-13-2011, 10:55 PM

Man in the Box, Alice in Chains - Don't see a single redeeming feature about this song. I'd vote for the Barney song before I'd vote for this........

Ok, I stopped reading after the bolded line. I simply can't let it go, as you'll see in the following diatribe:

Seriously? Ok, I can understand if you're not a fan of grunge. Alice in Chains was gritty, grimy and in your face with its message. Man in a Box was written as a quasi-rant against censorship, but for me it has much more depth when you consider a bit of AIC's history. Layne Staley was a great lead singer, but had a huge drug problem (heroin). He had...issues. he went to heroin to treat depression, and for the other reasons that many use heroin. this song, in particular, IS Alice in Chains--it epitomizes Layne Staley-- it describes a deep, dark place and a man who feels as if there's no hope or help for him. for what it's worth, Staley overdosed on heroin and wasn't found for two weeks.

here's a bit from wiki about where he was before his death...

In his last interview, given in early 2002 months before his death, Staley admitted, "I know I'm near death, I did crack and heroin for years. I never wanted to end my life this way."[29] Staley's physical appearance had become even worse than before: he had lost several teeth, his skin was sickly pale, and he was severely gaunt.[29] In the same interview Staley spoke of the damage caused by his heroin addiction:

"I'm not using drugs to get high like many people think. I know I made a big mistake when I started using this shit. It's a very difficult thing to explain. My liver is not functioning, and I'm throwing up all the time and shitting my pants. The pain is more than you can handle. It's the worst pain in the world. Dope sick hurts the entire body."[29]

Layne Staley WAS the man in the box.... Nobody was able to save him, and he became yet another tragic death caused by drugs and helplessness.

Frazod
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I basically think of We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions as a single song. Without We Are The Champions, We Will Rock You definitely losses something.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Layne Staley WAS the man in the box.... Nobody was able to save him, and he became yet another tragic death caused by drugs and helplessness.

Hmm. Fascinating. Too bad it's not a good song.

On the other hand, Darlington County is about when Springsteen would drive back to New Jersey from New York, hoping that he wouldn't get stopped because he often forgot to bring his driver's license or other identification. And it's got a great beat.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Shutting down Heat 22. Moving on are:

Dream On
We Will Rock You
Man in the Box

And another Springsteen classic sinks into the icy depths like that Leonardo guy on the Titanic.