PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink First Smoke of 2011

Saccopoo
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Nine pound pork butt on the Weber Smokey Mountain. My special rub, mop and sauce developed just for the butt roast. Served it steak style and it was glorious.

Look at that fantastic apple and hickory smoke encompassing the meat on that second pic.

You sonsabitches can only wish you were this good.

Buck
03-13-2011, 11:59 PM
That looks fucking delicious.

Crush
03-14-2011, 12:02 AM
:drool:

Phobia
03-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Your secret sauce looks an awful lot like my secret sauce.

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:42 AM

Looks can be deceiving. It's all in the taste.

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2011, 12:52 AM

Interesting.

My secret sauce tends to be white and often times, clear.

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Oh, I forgot the finished project pic.

Holy shit, it was melt in your mouth juicy. I love carving steaks off the butt roast and then using the leftovers for BBQ sandwiches.

Thank the almighty paprika and brown sugar gods that BBQ season has commenced!

Smoke on my brothers and sisters, smoke on!

DaneMcCloud
03-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Oh, I forgot the finished project pic.

Holy shit, it was melt in your mouth juicy. I love carving steaks off the butt roast and then using the leftovers for BBQ sandwiches.

Thank the almighty paprika and brown sugar gods that BBQ season has commenced!

Smoke on my brothers and sisters, smoke on!

It looks like a Mormon chick after a night on the town

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Interesting.

My secret sauce tends to be white and often times, clear.

:shake:

Der Flöprer
03-14-2011, 12:58 AM

LMAO You are on fire tonight.

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:58 AM

Ah, Dane...you drunken deviate.

You miss Salt Lake, don't you?

Thig Lyfe
03-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Nine Pound Pork Butt is the name of my metal band.

tooge
03-14-2011, 08:08 AM
I sold two olders smokers this weekend and bought the 22" weber smokey mountain. Dyin to fire it up

Over-Head
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
thats a nummy treat

WV
03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm a BBQ novice and have a question....when you see this BBQ stuff on TV that's supposed to be super good (yes I know it's TV) it always seems to have a darker nearly burnt looking bark. I notice you still have a nice smoke ring though, but your bark isn't so dark. Is that merely a personal preference, type of meat dependent, or something that's hard to accomplish successfully (obviously it's easy to just burn it)?

After thought....I suppose the sugar content in the rub also affects this too.

Bill Lundberg
03-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I was at my inlaws a couple of weeks ago and bored. They had a turkey they were going to cook. I said, too bad you don't have a smoker or I would smoke it for you. I was handed a check and told to go buy one for them.

Got them a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" for $179.00! Quite the bargain I thought.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Nine pound pork butt on the Weber Smokey Mountain. My special rub, mop and sauce developed just for the butt roast. Served it steak style and it was glorious.

Look at that fantastic apple and hickory smoke encompassing the meat on that second pic.

You sonsabitches can only wish you were this good.

You've inspired me. I'll be breaking out the smoker in a couple of weeks. (My next two weekends are booked) It's on the calendar!

Phobia
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm a BBQ novice and have a question....when you see this BBQ stuff on TV that's supposed to be super good (yes I know it's TV) it always seems to have a darker nearly burnt looking bark. I notice you still have a nice smoke ring though, but your bark isn't so dark. Is that merely a personal preference, type of meat dependent, or something that's hard to accomplish successfully (obviously it's easy to just burn it)?

That's usually accomplished with a dry rub and very little sauce/mop. He has a layer of mustard based sauce to shield the meat in this case. He was also possibly using a lot of charcoal and wood chips rather than all wood. It's meat dependent but I usually put a heavy bark on pork butt which is what he did here.

Chief Faithful
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
What temperature and how long did you smoke it?

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
What temperature and how long did you smoke it?

220ish for 8 1/2 hours - until the center measures 150 degrees. (The meat tempature is more important than the smokers tempature, but I wouldn't recommend having the smoker go over 230 degrees at any given time. 220 to 225 is about the ideal for a pork butt.) I then pull it out, wrap it in foil, wrap that in a towel, and put it in a cooler for about an hour, letting it self-baste.

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Phobia is correct. An initial dry rub was applied (equal parts paprika and brown sugar with additional spices), and then the butt was stuffed in the smoker for about two and a half hours. I then applied a cider vinegar/apple juice/mustard based mop once an hour checking the meat tempature at each mopping.

I used a combination of hardwood chunk charcoal and charcoal briquets. Hickory chips are interspersed though the bottom layer of charcoal and two large chunks of apple wood are put directly on the top. (At least for the pork butt. I'll use different wood for different meats.)

I cooked up my super secret Butt Sauce and that's only applied at the table by drizzling it over the steaks.

tooge
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
150? Pork is "safe" to eat at 160 and not pull away from the shoulder blade till about 190 or so

Bill Lundberg
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
super secret Butt Sauce

They have medicine for that now you know...

Bill Lundberg
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
150? Pork is "safe" to eat at 160 and not pull away from the shoulder blade till about 190 or so

I was wondering that myself. I have a hell of a time ever getting it to that 190. I've never wrapped one in foil though.

tooge
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
I was wondering that myself. I have a hell of a time ever getting it to that 190. I've never wrapped one in foil though.

they usually stall out about 150 or so for about 2 hours while the collagen breaks down liquifies into the muscle, then it'll slowly climb up after that. briskets do the same thing

Saccopoo
03-14-2011, 02:02 PM

If it's going to be pulled from the get go, I'll leave it on longer and try to get a final temp of about 185 to 195. If I'm slicing for steaks, I'll look for a final of 165 to 175ish. (Remainder is going to be reheated for other projects and I don't want to have it end up overdone.) Wrapping it in the foil and insulating it gets it up there. As you can see by the "finished" photo, the meat is completely done at the deepest part of the roast.

Great Expectations
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM

I pull mine off to wrap in foil, then towels, and then placed in a cooler at 190. You need to get it that hot so the collagen breaks down properly.

Brisket needs to get to 200, but not over 205.

tooge
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
If it's going to be pulled from the get go, I'll leave it on longer and try to get a final temp of about 185 to 195. If I'm slicing for steaks, I'll look for a final of 165 to 175ish. (Remainder is going to be reheated for other projects and I don't want to have it end up overdone.) Wrapping it in the foil and insulating it gets it up there. As you can see by the "finished" photo, the meat is completely done at the deepest part of the roast.

Ahh, that makes more sense

Chief Faithful
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I've never used Applewood, what is it like in comparison to Hickory? I've notice several of you use both Applewood and Hickory chips together.

Stewie
03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
You really don't want serious "bark" on pork butt. A nice brisket should look like a meteorite when it comes off the smoker.

I use oak charcoal (it has to be oak) with apple or cherry wood.

When most people think charcoal they think Kingsford and the like. That's just saw dust that's formed into cubes. You can get really good charcoal in the flavor of your choice. I prefer oak. The charcoal process is that they burn the wood in an oxygen free environment. In my case, that gives it a cleaner oak-ier burn. The fruit woods then dominate the smoke.