PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 23

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Here it is, the best first-round heat that's possible. There are six songs here that could easily have made the finals, plus a couple of Guns N Roses songs for filler.

This one hurts.

Great Expectations
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Free Fallin with the early lead!

Frazod
03-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey, there aren't five shit-sucking Bob Dylan songs on here! How am I supposed to vote? :harumph:

Predarat
03-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey, there aren't five shit-sucking Bob Dylan songs on here! How am I supposed to vote? :harumph:

They have been replaced with five shit-sucking Bruce Springsteen songs hahahaha.

Chiefnj2
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Petty, Bruce (Jungleland) and Queen.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
This one is beyond painful. It's like picking between my children.

Free Fallin', Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Really good song by Tom Petty. In any other heat, it'd likely be my #1. But it can't crack the top three in the legendary Heat 23.

Jungleland, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - Epic rock ballad about life in the New Jersey night. I have to give this my #2 vote.

Badlands, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - #1 in any other heat, but again, the competition is too fierce in this raging inferno of a heat.

Keep A-Knockin', Little Richard - You should give this a listen. It's a great classic rock tune that Little Richard pulled off fantastically. I'm going to go out on a limb and give this my #3 vote. It's that good.

Cadillac Ranch, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band. Cadillac Ranch. What can you say? If you like fast rock that makes you grin, this is Springsteen's Mona Lisa. My favorite Springsteen song ever. Gets my #1 vote.

My Michelle, Guns N Roses - In good faith, I gave it a listen and it's better than I would expect, but come on. In this heat? No way.

Nightrain, Guns N Roses - Loud guitars, some lyrics I can't understand. Drums. Move along, nothing to see here.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen - This one could win it all. It's innovative, memorable, and fun. In any other heat it's an easy #1. Its' hard to not vote for it in this heat, but I can't kick out any of the others.
Even though this is the best heat ever, I'm throwing in a suckage vote.

cdcox
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Junglelands, Badlands, and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Freefalling has been overplayed, and the chorus is too catchy. It's a good song, but I could go the rest of my life without hearing it again, no problem. If he had made the song without the chorus, it would have voted for it hands down.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
They have been replaced with five shit-sucking Bruce Springsteen songs hahahaha.

I'm going to neg-rep you every day for the rest of my life, and then I'm going to put it in my will that my heirs have to follow suit for the rest of their lives.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Check out Keep A Knocking. I always thought Little Richard was annoying, but this song is a masterpiece of early rock.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rYr7I4gOSXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha
03-14-2011, 11:19 AM
OK, I think Appetite for Destruction was a great CD, but Nightrain is hilariously bad and dated. That was true the day the CD was released. However, you guys inexplicably rank Boston & AC/DC over Zeppelin & The Beatles so nothing will surprise me anymore.

Rain Man, you'll like this. I'll be voting for Petty & My Michelle. Since Bohemian Rhapsody is soooo played out, I'll listen to the Bruce songs & pick my favorite. I'll cast my vote once I finish my research....

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Here's Cadillac Ranch, accompanied by still shots of the movie Smokey and the Bandit. Rep for the first person who notes the connection.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pGHyYSWGhxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain
03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Suckage.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
OK, I think Appetite for Destruction was a great CD, but Nightrain is hilariously bad and dated. That was true the day the CD was released. However, you guys inexplicably rank Boston & AC/DC over Zeppelin & The Beatles so nothing will surprise me anymore.

Rain Man, you'll like this. I'll be voting for Petty & My Michelle. Since Bohemian Rhapsody is soooo played out, I'll listen to the Bruce songs & pick my favorite. I'll cast my vote once I finish my research....

Once you listen to the Bruce songs, you'll change your votes. And be sure to listen to Little Richard.

Warning: clear area around your computer for dancing before listening to Cadillac Ranch or Keep A Knocking.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Badlands. You all know and love this song.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U0ExmL4LzCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Jungleland. There's nothing else that can be said.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VH_NvYPBDY0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VH_NvYPBDY0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Frazod
03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Springsteen is horribly overrated, but at least he can carry a tune. Sort of.

Dylan couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle on it.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Suckage.

Don't make me stop this car.

Predarat
03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Springsteen is horribly overrated, but at least he can carry a tune. Sort of.

Dylan couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle on it.

I agree Springsteen > Dylan and by a fair amount too.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree Springsteen > Dylan and by a fair amount too.

Okay, I'll change my will, and hopefully you learned something from this.

patteeu
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Pretty strong heat. Looks like there's a good chance the Boss fans will knock each other out here.

My first vote goes to Tom Petty and my second goes to Queen. Both of these are great songs although neither are my favorite from the artist.

My third vote came down to Jungleland and Badlands. Jungleland is epic, but there are parts of it that tend to lose my interest so for me I'll go with the consistent pulse of Springsteen's Badlands. Let the broken hearts stand, whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Predarat
03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
One of the Springsteen songs I probably would have voted for in any heat is Glory Days but I do not see it in the competition.

mikey23545
03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Springsteen (Jungleland), Queen, and Petty.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
FYI - My third vote went to Badlands. I understand why Bohemian Rhapsody is doing well, I just can't bring myself to listen to it anymore. But Nightrain? Are you guys fucking with me? That song is horrible.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
One of the Springsteen songs I probably would have voted for in any heat is Glory Days but I do not see it in the competition.

Agreed. My two favorite Springsteen songs are missing. Weird.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

(Glaring in confusion, eye tic twitching.)

Okay, no neg rep for you. You're okay.

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Cool. Nightrain is my favorite G n R song.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM

(Eye tic twitching.)

Chiefnj2
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Jungleland. There's nothing else that can be said.

Bruce songs better than Jungleland in this order: Thunder Road, Rosalita, Spirit of the Night, Growing Up, Born to Run,. Maybe even The River.

patteeu
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I think Rain Man conspired with the GnR people to get Night Train through the first round by setting up a bunch of Springsteen songs to split the vote. All this Springsteen adoration he's been leading us on with has been to cover his tracks. At least that's my theory.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I think Rain Man conspired with the GnR people to get Night Train through the first round by setting up a bunch of Springsteen songs to split the vote. All this Springsteen adoration he's been leading us on with has been to cover his tracks. At least that's my theory.

You're onto me.

It's obvious looking at the voting that there's a vote-splitting tragedy here that's even greater than the barbecue vote-splitting in the Smellympics.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Now I know you're fucking with me.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Feel free to change my 3rd vote from badlands to jungleland if it helps push something by Nightrain.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Feel free to change my 3rd vote from badlands to jungleland if it helps push something by Nightrain.

But what if it's Badlands that rallies instead of Jungleland? I'm telling you, it's a no-win situation with this heat. A noble contender will die an ignoble death no matter what happens.

Our only hope is to minimize the damage by getting as many good songs to the next round as possible. Which of course means songs other than Guns N Roses.

rockymtnchief
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow...I really thought Badlands would do better.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow...I really thought Badlands would do better.

There's obviously a conspiracy afoot. I think the tournament will eventually boil down to a battle for supremacy between two groups, the first of which shall be termed the "AC/DC/Gun/Roses Group" and the second being termed the "People with Good Musical Tastes Group". I predict that it's going to get bloody in the second round.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Jungleland's closing the gap! Coming around the second turn Jungleland is making its move!

DJ's left nut
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
My first suckage vote was of the protest vote variety.

If it took losing Bohemian Rhapsody to ensure that 3 Springsteen songs AND 2 of the worst GNR songs ever made get killed off, it's a sacrifice well worth it.

patteeu
03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
My first suckage vote was of the protest vote variety.

If it took losing Bohemian Rhapsody to ensure that 3 Springsteen songs AND 2 of the worst GNR songs ever made get killed off, it's a sacrifice well worth it.

I don't think your suckage vote is going to ensure much of anything in this heat other than the fact that you won't have a say in the Jungleland vs. Nighttrain contest for third place.

DJ's left nut
03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't think your suckage vote is going to ensure much of anything in this heat other than the fact that you won't have a say in the Jungleland vs. Nighttrain contest for third place.

So it would seem.

Didn't have any way to know that when I cast the vote, unless I cheated first and checked the results before voting. But that's just toolish vote-rigging.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Dammit. Two more votes for Guns N Roses. Civilized people of the world, unite! This is our Battle of Tours! This is where we beat back the barbarians, and I shall be your Charles Martel!

patteeu
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but the chances of Jungleland overtaking Nighttrain at this point appear bleak.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm currently wishing I'd done some "toolish vote rigging" to help leave Nightrain in the shit heap where it belongs.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I do not like either Gn'R song and I would still vote for either of them over Bruce Springsteen.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but the chances of Jungleland overtaking Nighttrain at this point appear bleak.

I'm pinning my hopes on the night crew. The polls close later there and they're a sophisticated bunch.

Rain Man
I do not like either Gn'R song and I would still vote for either of them over Bruce Springsteen.

Go over there and sit in the corner. You're not helping.

DaFace
Bohemian Rhapsody would be my pick to duke it out with Stairway to Heaven for the title.

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
(Eye tic twitching.):D Enjoy...<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qyf8oRF6Trg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
:thumb:Now I know you're fucking with me.Not at all. Love that entire CD. It came out during my sr yr of HS, so It has a connection to my youth.

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Dammit. Two more votes for Guns N Roses. Civilized people of the world, unite! This is our Battle of Tours! This is where we beat back the barbarians, and I shall be your Charles Martel!I should make several mults to ensure it makes it thru :thumb:

BigMeatballDave
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm currently wishing I'd done some "toolish vote rigging" to help leave Nightrain in the shit heap where it belongs.Your flaming AIDS tree awaits... :evil:

Ebolapox
03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
tom petty, queen and suckage. sorry, the boss gets no votes from me here.

|Zach|
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Tom Petty has kind of worn off on me over time. Just don't connect with his collection of music like I used to.

DJ's left nut
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
tom petty, queen and suckage. sorry, the boss gets no votes from me here.

Goddammit!

You cannot vote for Petty, Queen AND suckage.

If you vote for suckage, it means that all other options suck. ALL OTHER OPTIONS. The choices are mutually exclusive.

If you don't have a 3rd pick worth advancing - just don't check 3 boxes.

Rainman - why is this so hard for people?

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh, yeah. Another vote for Jungleland.

On an aside, I'm pleased to see Keep A Knocking doing relatively well. It's not a well-known song and for that reason I had no illusions that it would win, but it really rocks.

Omaha
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Your flaming AIDS tree awaits... :evil:

DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Nzoner
03-14-2011, 04:24 PM

It's no wonder another football board I visit refers to KC fans as camaroheads,it's sad,really sad.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Pull, omaha and nzoner! Pull! We're going to win this thing!

patteeu
03-14-2011, 05:02 PM
We're further behind than the last time I said something pessimistic.

Rain Man
03-14-2011, 05:06 PM
We're further behind than the last time I said something pessimistic.

We need to get out the vote. Let's start putting up "go vote" messages in all of the other threads. On second thought, all of them but the Nascar thread.

Baconeater
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Here's Cadillac Ranch, accompanied by still shots of the movie Smokey and the Bandit. Rep for the first person who notes the connection.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pGHyYSWGhxk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

James Dean in that Mercury `49
Junior Johnson runnin' through the woods of Caroline
Even Burt Reynolds in that black Trans Am
All gonna meet down at the Cadillac Ranch

Baconeater
03-14-2011, 05:39 PM
BTW, Badlands and Jungleland are my favorite Springsteen songs, and I post frequently in the Neckcar thread.

KC Tattoo
03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
:D Enjoy...<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qyf8oRF6Trg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

--

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1C-Bwvn8jk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1C-Bwvn8jk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

:thumb:

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
BTW, Badlands and Jungleland are my favorite Springsteen songs, and I post frequently in the Neckcar thread.

And that is why you an inscrutable enigma.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Shutting down the iconic Heat 23. Moving on are:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Free Fallin'
(Sigh) Nightrain

The losers in this thread are Springsteen, Little Richard, and Rain Man's faith in his fellow man.

Dave Lane
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
You know I'm going to stop voting in these polls because they are bullshit. Every pole has 2-3 Bruce Springsteen crap songs I've never heard of and not one Beatles or Pink Floyd song and I haven't even seen any Led Zepplin ot Doors that I remember.

Rainman you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dave Lane
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm going to talk to Sofaking about banning your poll making ability.

patteeu
03-15-2011, 12:46 PM
You know I'm going to stop voting in these polls because they are bullshit. Every pole has 2-3 Bruce Springsteen crap songs I've never heard of and not one Beatles or Pink Floyd song and I haven't even seen any Led Zepplin ot Doors that I remember.

Is this a joke? Led Zeppelin has been pretty well represented, including a song as recently as heat 21. The song nominations were all made in a thread started by BigRedChief and Rain Man just included all songs mentioned. It just so happened that a few dedicated fans listed the entire catalogues of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Guns N Roses and that most of the Doors fans were too hung over in their bathtubs to post that morning.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 12:57 PM

I am ashamed of myself, but for reasons not related to the Rock N Poll. But that's another story.

And a big part of this is to expose people to new great songs that they've never heard. Give Cadillac Ranch a listen. Give Darlington County a listen. Your mind will be expanded more than you ever thought possible. The same thing happened to me when I listened to Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen (now up in Heat 25).