PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 25

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
We are now 5/7ths of the way through the big first round, and we've got some good ones for your consideration in this heat. Or not. Your call.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
The best thing Cobain ever did for music was eat buckshot.

One of Boston's worst songs.

The Doors remain awful, though we'll add the Dead to the list of drug addled, overrated crap in this poll.

Obligatory 'Dylan Blows'

Tom Petty...eh, I probably wouldn't change the channel when it comes on, it just isn't really rock to me.

And The Bird is the Word? Ugh.

Yeah, I can only vote for New Years Day in this one, and even that's a bit of a stretch. Not a terribly strong heat, IMO.

Predarat
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I think this poll is actually pretty good!

Old Dog
03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
possibly the worst heat I have seen

patteeu
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
My first two votes go to Nirvana and Tom Petty. After that, my ear detects a pretty substantial dropoff in this heat. I guess I'll throw a vote to U2 for a decent song rather than throw another vote at a Boston song or voting for a Trashmen song that is more like a novelty now than a song. I had little interest in the Doors or Grateful Dead entries.

Chiefnj2
03-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Tom Petty and a suckage vote.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Y'all are just doing this to annoy me now, right?

BigMeatballDave
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Nirvana?

Los Pollos Hermanos
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2WNrx2jq184" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
Y'all are just doing this to annoy me now, right?

I'm pretty sure that you're the only person who has decided to interpret the suckage vote this way. I understand the logic behind your position, but you're spitting into the wind with this. FWIW, I haven't violated your suckage definition yet.

Omaha
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

One of Boston's worst songs.

The Doors remain awful, though we'll add the Dead to the list of drug addled, overrated crap in this poll.

Obligatory 'Dylan Blows'

Tom Petty...eh, I probably wouldn't change the channel when it comes on, it just isn't really rock to me.

And The Bird is the Word? Ugh.

Yeah, I can only vote for New Years Day in this one, and even that's a bit of a stretch. Not a terribly strong heat, IMO.

Need a hug, big guy?

Chiefnj2
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Nirvana?

I like Foo Fighters, hate Nirvana.

DA_T_84
03-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not voting solely for songs/artists I like, so much as I am voting for what song/artists contributed the most to Rock n' Roll music as a genre.

So even if you don't like Nirvana, you can still appreciate the contribution (new sounds, groundbreaking style, gave rise to other bands, etc.) Hell, it even directly gave birth to the Foo Fighters via Dave Grohl, and they've made some great music.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
This thread is stronger than it appeared on first glance.

New Year's Day, U2 - Seemed kind of generic, to be honest. I can't remember 10 minutes later how it went.

The Bird Is The Word, The Trashmen - I curse whoever suggested this song (dartgod?), because it's been going through my head ever since. And you know what? That's what rock and roll should do. It gets my #2 vote.

People are Strange, The Doors - This is a good song. Really, it is. I don't mind seeing it get votes. It just couldn't make the top three for me.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana - Not usually my style, but I have to admit, it rocks. It gets my #3 vote.

Scarlet Begonias, Grateful Dead - I have never managed to get all the way through a Grateful Dead song. It's like being at a wedding and there's some band that plays 20-minute background music songs. Thumbs down.

Gonna Hitch A Ride, Boston - What to say, what to say. Great group, but this isn't their best song. I hate to not vote for Boston, but they didn't quite make the top three.

Chimes of Freedom, Bob Dylan - You know what? Springsteen does a version of this song that is fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of Dylan's version, plus I couldn't listen to it because he pulls all of his songs off of youtube.

American Girl, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - At first I thought this was a petty song that I didn't like, but there's a staggered refrain in there that I think sounds really cool. It's good enough to get my #1 vote.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that you're the only person who has decided to interpret the suckage vote this way. I understand the logic behind your position, but you're spitting into the wind with this. FWIW, I haven't violated your suckage definition yet.

What are the different definitions? Did I miss something?

I assumed that if you couldn't vote for three, you vote for 0, 1, or 2, and then vote suckage.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I like Foo Fighters, hate Nirvana.

This is true.

I realized shortly after I posted that Cobain did one thing well - jump started Dave Grohl's career.

While I ultimately believe Grohl would've been a star with or without Cobain (afterall, did he really get that much exposure with Nirvana?), I'll give Cobain credit for recognizing the talent.

Omaha
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
This is true.

I realized shortly after I posted that Cobain did one thing well - jump started Dave Grohl's career.

While I ultimately believe Grohl would've been a star with or without Cobain (afterall, did he really get that much exposure with Nirvana?), I'll give Cobain credit for recognizing the talent.

Um, yeah. Absolutely.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
The Bird is the Word is not getting the support it deserves. Tell me you aren't humming it right now.

Omaha
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
The Bird is the Word is not getting the support it deserves. Tell me you aren't humming it right now.

The Peter Griffin version would have done better.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
The Peter Griffin version would have done better.

Agreed. It's one of those rare instances where the cover is better than the original.

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
My first two votes go to Nirvana and Tom Petty. After that, my ear detects a pretty substantial dropoff in this heat. I guess I'll throw a vote to U2 for a decent song rather than throw another vote at a Boston song or voting for a Trashmen song that is more like a novelty now than a song. I had little interest in the Doors or Grateful Dead entries.

Scarlet Begonias is a great song.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 03:23 PM
This is true.

That's like saying that John Lennon did one thing well; he jump-started Paul McCartney's career.

Slainte
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
That's like saying that John Lennon did one thing well; he jump-started Paul McCartney's career.

George Harrison is more apt. And I'm a Grohl fan...

patteeu
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
What are the different definitions? Did I miss something?

I assumed that if you couldn't vote for three, you vote for 0, 1, or 2, and then vote suckage.

DJ's Left Nut sees the suckage option as a pure none-of-the-above option. For him, it's EITHER a vote for one, two, or three songs OR a vote for suckage. A vote for one or two songs plus suckage makes his blood pressure skyrocket.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 03:32 PM
DJ's Left Nut sees the suckage option as a pure none-of-the-above option. For him, it's EITHER a vote for one, two, or three songs OR a vote for suckage. A vote for one or two songs plus suckage makes his blood pressure skyrocket.

Uh-oh. I better not tell him how I've voted, then.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM

This is probably true....

...I also think John Lennon is a dick.

So if nothing else, I'm consistent.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I voted for only one option, because I felt it necessary to get that vote in right away cause you never know what's going on.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
I voted for only one option, because I felt it necessary to get that vote in right away cause you never know what's going on.

Early momentum is key. Not everyone understands that.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Early momentum is key. Not everyone understands that.

That's why I jumped in and voted American Girl as fast as I could.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Then you're gonna be bitching when slts wins this thing.

Baconeater
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
U2 is the most overrated, overhyped band ever. With that said, I do like New Year's Day, so I voted for it and Hitch a Ride.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
U2 is the most overrated, overhyped band ever.

Yes. This. More than anything.

Fuck Bono.

patteeu
03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
That's why I jumped in and voted American Girl as fast as I could.

Your strategy appears to be working.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Your strategy appears to be working.

I did good.

And I wasn't worried about the Nirvana song getting votes, because I sacrificed three very fit varsity jock kids to ensure it'll move on.

Predarat
03-15-2011, 06:52 PM
This was a good heat to me, there are about 5 or 6 songs I could have voted for. I had to vote for People Are Strange, I do like the Doors! I try to give every song a listen too/chance, some heats have nice surprises in them.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
And it is done.

American Girl
Smells Like Teen Spirit
People are Strange

are moving on. U2 put up a good fight, but fell a little short.

Easy 6
03-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Petty, Doors & the Bird.

Anyone that doesnt like Bird should listen to this, i dare you to not feel energized...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CVQfVtzFd4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Petty, Doors & the Bird.

Anyone that doesnt like Bird should listen to this, ...

That's a far superior version, IMO. The song is better with louder music and less intelligible lyrics.

Easy 6
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
That's a far superior version, IMO. The song is better with louder music and less intelligible lyrics.

Definite agreement