PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The City Dark - Cool film

Dave Lane
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Kinda cool film with free screenings in Austin for AustinChief to enjoy...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mT64q0L7Djc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- SYNOPSIS -

THE CITY DARK is a feature documentary about light pollution and the disappearing night sky, premiering in competition at the 2011 South by Southwest Film Festival. After moving to New York City from rural Maine, filmmaker Ian Cheney asks a simple question, "Do we need the stars?" Exploring the threat of killer asteroids in Hawaii, tracking hatching turtles along the Florida coast, and rescuing injured birds on Chicago streets, Cheney unravels the myriad implications of a globe glittering with lights - including increased breast cancer rates from exposure to light at night, and a generation of kids without a glimpse of the universe above. Featuring stunning astrophotography and a cast of eclectic scientists, philosophers, historians and lighting designers, THE CITY DARK is the definitive story of light pollution and the disappearing stars.

- SXSW SCREENINGS -

Saturday, March 12th, 7pm, Vimeo Theater – Austin Convention Center*

Sunday, March 13th, 11.15am, Alamo Lamar South

Friday, March 18th, 4.30pm, Alamo Lamar South

*Screening followed by sidewalk stargazing with local astronomers

blaise
03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
My first college was in rural Upstate NY, and there were a bunch of kids from NYC there. I remember, when they first got there and went out at night, they were like, "Oh, wow. Stars. I never see stars."

ModSocks
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
I miss the stars. I miss starring up at the night sky and just zoning out about the mysteries of the universe.

I've been wanting to buy a telescope, but they're just so damn expensive.

DMAC
03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I love being so far out you can look up and see the milky way.

ModSocks
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I love being so far out you can look up and see the milky way.

I'm jelly.

DMAC
03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm jelly.

I'm peanut butter. ;):hmmm:

Dave Lane
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I miss the stars. I miss starring up at the night sky and just zoning out about the mysteries of the universe.

I've been wanting to buy a telescope, but they're just so damn expensive.

Dude there lots of nice little starter scopes on Craigslist for $10-25. The Astronomy club here in town gives out loaners for free. And those are pretty nice scopes.