PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 26

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
And the marathon enters its 26th mile with a good heat for anyone who got their driver's license in about 1980.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
In with "where's the poll".

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't understand where the poll is or why Rainman is always walking.

Sit down, man.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm starting to panic that there's not going to be a poll.

Baconeater
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
OMG WHAREZ TEH POLL

Baconeater
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I waited two minutes for that stack of crap?

KC Tattoo
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't understand where the poll is or why Rainman is always walking.

Sit down, man.

Better walking than have ur head chopped off. amiright?

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I picked 4. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm starting to panic that there's not going to be a poll.

I will not fail in my duties. I take them very seriously. You can count on me.

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
I will not fail in my duties. I take them very seriously. You can count on me.

That's fucking awesome.

And btw, I missed a few of these I think, I didn't miss "Signs" yet did I?

I hope it's in a weak heat if I didn't.

KC Tattoo
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0RYY5TYW70?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0RYY5TYW70?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

ClevelandBronco
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
That giant sucking sound is not NAFTA.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
That's ****ing awesome.

And btw, I missed a few of these I think, I didn't miss "Signs" yet did I?

I hope it's in a weak heat if I didn't.

Signs is still coming up. I noticed as I was scanning.

Over-Head
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I picked 4. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Good thing, I only picked one LMAO

KurtCobain
03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Carry On My Wayward Son is still coming up in a later heat right? Or was it not nominated. I thought I remember it being in that thread.

Bwana
03-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Good thing, I only picked one LMAO

Yep, I only picked two of these.

cdcox
03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I thought November Rain had already been in a poll? Or was that the add-a-nine-songs poll?

patteeu
03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
This is a pretty good heat. Even the Guns N Roses song is pretty good.

Orange Crush, REM - This is a good song from a great band. I'm giving it my 3rd vote for the band's overall contribution to RnR without any expectation that this song has much of a chance to move on. It's kind of a mercy vote.

Strawberry Fields, the Beatles - There are lots of Beatles songs that I could vote for, but not this one.

Piano Man, Billy Joel - Love this song. It gets my first vote.

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf - I don't care that Meat Loaf was basically an actor playing a rock star in a manufactured rock band, he could really unload when he wanted to. This song gets my second vote.

Freedom Fighter, Steve Jones - This is a really good song that I'd never heard before. It might be my favorite Steve Jones song ever, but it's not good enough to earn a vote.

Trapped Again, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - This competition needs another New Jersey rock n roller like it needs more GNR. Step back Southside Johnny, the Boss has consumed all your oxygen.

November Rain, Guns N' Roses - Speaking of the devil, if only the GNR entries had been limited to their best 2 or 3 good songs instead of everything they put out before Slash left the band, things might have been different. This is a good song, but I can't put it ahead of my other 3 choices.

Dust in the Wind, Kansas - I suspect DitW will do pretty well, but I don't like it as much as some of the others in this heat. It's pretty and it's deeply etched in my consciousness, but it's not my idea of great RnR.

cdcox
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Orange Crush is a good REM song.

KC Tattoo
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H26gZ-LKRho&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H26gZ-LKRho&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Carry On My Wayward Son is still coming up in a later heat right? Or was it not nominated. I thought I remember it being in that thread.

Yep, it's still on deck waiting.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought November Rain had already been in a poll? Or was that the add-a-nine-songs poll?

Yep, it was one of the winners in the inclusion poll, so it's coming in as a veteran tournament winner.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I could more or less copy patteeu's post as my own, but I'll offer my own thoughts anyway.

Orange Crush, REM - This is one of those songs that I think I've heard before, but I wouldn't have guessed it. Pretty darn good song, but it ended up in a tough heat and can't make the top three.

Strawberry Fields, the Beatles - I like this song and could vote for it in many heats, even if it's far from the best Beatles song. In this heat, though, can't do it.

Piano Man, Billy Joel - I'll copy patteeu's statement here. "Love this song. It gets my first vote."

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf - I'll copy patteeu's statement again, even though I didn't know the history. "I don't care that Meat Loaf was basically an actor playing a rock star in a manufactured rock band, he could really unload when he wanted to. This song gets my second vote."

Freedom Fighter, Steve Jones - I'll copy patteeu again, even though I've never heard of Steve Jones so by definition this is my favorite Steve Jones song. "This is a really good song that I'd never heard before. It might be my favorite Steve Jones song ever, but it's not good enough to earn a vote."

Trapped Again, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Meh. Fine song, but nobody gets to reference Asbury but Springsteen.

November Rain, Guns N' Roses - Kind of like a real song, which beat my expectations.

Dust in the Wind, Kansas - Love this song, in part because it's the first "adult" song that I remember discussing with older kids as real music. But I tend to like rock songs that use non-traditional instruments, and the violin is a winner. Gets my #3 vote.

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm quite surprised that Bat Out of Hell isn't dominating this heat. I've always thought of it as one of the pantheon of rock songs. Is it possible that I was wrong?

KC Tattoo
03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Yep, it was one of the winners in the inclusion poll, so it's coming in as a veteran tournament winner.

What you think of the piano (original) version of the song I posted Rain Man? It was written before Guns became a huge success. The sound quality is little rough cuz it wasn't recorded in a studio iirc. Just listen to it even if your not a GnR fan.

patteeu
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf - I'll copy patteeu's statement again, even though I didn't know the history. "I don't care that Meat Loaf was basically an actor playing a rock star in a manufactured rock band, he could really unload when he wanted to. This song gets my second vote."

I may have exaggerated a little bit. Meatloaf was definitely the junior partner in his musical partnership with Jim Steinman, but he was probably more than a mere actor playing a part.

BTW, Steve Jones was the guitarist for the Sex Pistols.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 06:00 PM
November Rain - Best guitar solo in rock history? If nothing else, it's in the discussion.

Bat out of Hell - Ah hell yeah, that's a good rock song right there. Driving, impassioned; just a good song.

Dust in the Wind - Not sure I need a reason.

As for Piano Man - Little more than drunken kareoke fodder. Sure, I'll listen to it, but it ain't rock.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I mean really - Piano Man? Ahead of Bat out of Hell?

I didn't get into the wrong poll, did I? We're still talking about rock and roll, not elevator music, correct?

DJ's left nut
03-15-2011, 06:04 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8SbUC-UaAxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Probably my favorite GNR song; pure awesomeness. Especially the last couple of minutes.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2011, 02:40 AM
That giant sucking sound is not NAFTA.

Well I sure hope it's not NAMBLA.

Nzoner
03-16-2011, 07:03 AM

Speaking of Meatloaf history check out these Ted Nugent songs where he's lead vocals on the Free-For-All album.I couldn't find my favorite Writing On The Wall but these still rock.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvQCi8th8EE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MOjkZwCUvlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Orange Crush, REM - Decent song, not fantastic.

Strawberry Fields, the Beatles - I like Beatles covers more than originals.

Piano Man, Billy Joel - The song is so overplayed, I can't bring myself to vote for it.

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf - Here is a piece of art. Great song on a great album.

Freedom Fighter, Steve Jones - Never heard of it.

Trapped Again, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I'll quote rainman "meh".

November Rain, Guns N' Roses - One of GNR's best songs. The video helped the song immensely. When you think of the song, I'd bet 80% of people picture Slash on top of a piano.

Dust in the Wind, Kansas - 5th grade chorus. Kimberly Pembroke sang the song. It was a good day.

Winners - Bat out of Hell, November Rain and Dust in the Wind.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Orange Crush, REM - Decent song, not fantastic.

Strawberry Fields, the Beatles - I like Beatles covers more than originals.

Piano Man, Billy Joel - The song is so overplayed, I can't bring myself to vote for it.

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf - Here is a piece of art. Great song on a great album.

Freedom Fighter, Steve Jones - Never heard of it.

Trapped Again, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I'll quote rainman "meh".

November Rain, Guns N' Roses - One of GNR's best songs. The video helped the song immensely. When you think of the song, I'd bet 80% of people picture Slash on top of a piano.

Dust in the Wind, Kansas - 5th grade chorus. Kimberly Pembroke sang the song. It was a good day.

Winners - Bat out of Hell, November Rain and Dust in the Wind.

Good man; though in reality I tend to think of Slash in front of a church in the middle of nowhere rather than on top of a piano.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Shutting it down. Moving on are:

Dust in the Wind
November Rain
Piano Man

I am utterly shocked that Bat Out of Hell isn't advancing. This and the demise of Johnny B. Goode are the two biggest surprises of the tournament to me (along with the generally poor support of Springsteen, of course).

Frazod
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Finally, a poll not loaded with suckage.

Surprised about Bat Out of Hell. That's a kickass rockin song.

Piano Man is a great, wonderful song, but rock? No way.

No problem with the other two. Kansas is the only thing about Kansas that doesn't suck. :)

patteeu
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
November Rain - Best guitar solo in rock history? If nothing else, it's in the discussion.

Bat out of Hell - Ah hell yeah, that's a good rock song right there. Driving, impassioned; just a good song.

Dust in the Wind - Not sure I need a reason.

As for Piano Man - Little more than drunken kareoke fodder. Sure, I'll listen to it, but it ain't rock.

Finally, a poll not loaded with suckage.

Surprised about Bat Out of Hell. That's a kickass rockin song.

Piano Man is a great, wonderful song, but rock? No way.

No problem with the other two. Kansas is the only thing about Kansas that doesn't suck. :)

By what definition do you guys conclude that Piano Man isn't rock, but Dust in the Wind is?

Frazod
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
By what definition do you guys conclude that Piano Man isn't rock, but Dust in the Wind is?

You know, that's a really good point. I guess I can't bitch about one making it and not the other.

Fuck I hate it when you're right. :cuss:

patteeu
03-16-2011, 07:53 PM
You know, that's a really good point. I guess I can't bitch about one making it and not the other.

**** I hate it when you're right. :cuss:

LOL You'll get used to it. :p

Frazod
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
LOL You'll get used to it. :p

The good news is, if the law of averages holds, I don't have to worry about it happening again for another six months. :D

patteeu
03-16-2011, 08:03 PM
The good news is, if the law of averages holds, I don't have to worry about it happening again for another six months. :D

Haha. Maybe so. The truth is, you and I probably agree on more than we disagree, but focusing on that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Frazod
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Haha. Maybe so. The truth is, you and I probably agree on more than we disagree, but focusing on that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

On that we can agree. :evil: