PDA

View Full Version : Economics President Obama’s Trivial Pursuits

Count Alex's Losses
03-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Mad Crapper, this one's for you.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2011/03/15/president-obamas-trivial-pursuits-2/

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Obama-laughs--300x199.jpg

The Middle East is afire with rebellion, Japan is imploding from an earthquake, and the battle of the budget is on in the United States, but none of this seems to be deterring President Obama from a heavy schedule of childish distractions.

The newly installed tandem of White House Chief of Staff William Daley and Senior Adviser David Plouffe were supposed to impart a new sense of discipline and purpose to the White House. Instead, they are permitting him to showcase himself as a poorly focused leader who has his priorities backward.

This morning, as Japan’s nuclear crisis enters a potentially catastrophic phase, we are told that Obama is videotaping his NCAA tournament picks and that we’ll be able to tune into ESPN Wednesday to find out who he likes.

Saturday, he made his 61st outing to the golf course as president, and got back to the White House with just enough time for a quick shower before heading out to party with Washington’s elite journalists at the annual Gridiron Dinner.

With various urgencies swirling about him, Saturday’s weekly videotaped presidential address focusing on “Women’s History Month” seemed bizarrely out of touch.

Obama Friday took time out to honor the 2009-10 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks. Thursday was a White House conference on bullying – not a bad idea perhaps, but not quite Leader of the Free World stuff either.

Obama appeared a little sleepy as he weighed in against the bullies, perhaps because he’d spent the night before partying with lawmakers as they took in a Chicago Bulls vs. Charlotte Bobcats game.

Meanwhile, the president has been studying for weeks whether to establish a No Fly Zone over Libya, delaying action while the point becomes increasingly moot as Qaddafi begins to defeat and slaughter his opponents. And lawmakers from both Parties are wondering why he seems to be AWOL in the deficit reduction debate.

The Libya indecision follows an inconsistent response to the protests that ousted former Egyptian President Mubarak and seemed to catch the White House off guard. The perfunctory response from the White House Monday to Saudi Arabia’s dispatch of troops to Bahrain suggested the administration wasn’t prepared for that one either.

But the fun stuff won’t end anytime soon. On Thursday, the Taoiseach of Ireland will be in town to help the president celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And then Friday it’s off to Brazil for the start of a three-country Latin American tour.

Oddly, he’ll be missing Carnival, which went down last week.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 01:17 AM
He's workin it out dude.

redsurfer11
03-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Obama is fiddling. Nero did it while Rome burned.

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm really sorry he gave up smoking.

The Mad Crapper
03-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Just when you think this theatre of the absurd cannot get any more bizarre...

WASHINGTON, March 16 (UPI) -- U.S. President Obama discusses humanitarian aid efforts and accepts an award from a coalition of good government groups Wednesday, the daily schedule indicates.

Obama will:

-- Accept an award from a coalition of good government groups and transparency advocates recognizing "his deep commitment to an open and transparent government -- of, by, and for the people" in conjunction with Sunshine Week.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/03/16/Obama-to-discuss-aid-receive-award/UPI-17201300273144/#ixzz1GlL51pGF

InChiefsHell
03-16-2011, 07:05 AM
You can't make this shit up. I can't figure it out...is he incompetent, or evil? Seriously, I can't tell...

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Obama will:

-- Accept an award from a coalition of good government groups and transparency advocates recognizing "his deep commitment to an open and transparent government -- of, by, and for the people" in conjunction with Sunshine Week.

He still believes in that stuff — for other governments and other people, so technically he's still eligible for the award.

WV
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Just when you think this theatre of the absurd cannot get any more bizarre...

WASHINGTON, March 16 (UPI) -- U.S. President Obama discusses humanitarian aid efforts and accepts an award from a coalition of good government groups Wednesday, the daily schedule indicates.

Obama will:

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/03/16/Obama-to-discuss-aid-receive-award/UPI-17201300273144/#ixzz1GlL51pGF
ROFL

Oh like the revolutionary way the Healthcare reform would be hammered out right in front of us, but now it would be just too hard!

patteeu
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
It could be worse. He could be doing something.

BucEyedPea
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I see more economic meltdown and WWIII coming to take our minds off it all. Nothing like another external threat to scare the folks.

patteeu
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I see more economic meltdown and WWIII coming to take our minds off it all. Nothing like another external threat to scare the folks.

If WW III is coming, I sure hope it holds off until we have a competent leader in the WH.

fan4ever
03-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Well whomever we're fighting, I hope China is on our side so we can borrow the money to fund our part of it...

alnorth
03-16-2011, 09:19 PM
This type of criticism pisses me off no matter who is president. I was irritated when the Dems pulled this stupid sh*t on Bush, and I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't also angry when the tables are turned and it was the Republicans who were being a bunch of fools.

There are lots of reasons to criticize Obama. Lots and lots of reasons. Diplomatic decisions, national security priorities, legislative agenda, how he uses his executive power, whatever. Lots of reasons to criticize Obama.

This is not one of them.

Being mad at the president for showing his NCAA bracket on a 5-minute shoot for ESPN is completely and utterly retarded. If you think this is a good reason to say Obama is not doing his job and should be fired, then you are not only wrong, you are also a political hack who views politics as a simplistic football game where everything goes if it means that the "other team" wearing the D or R jersey loses.

Simply put, the president of the united states is not *THAT* god damned important. Yes, he's very important, yes his job should be hard and busy, but he's got over 10,000 minutes to spare per week. We also expect him to take a few weeks of vacation per year. (Yes, to those of you who are criticizing him for taking his family to Rio, you are being really dumb) If you think he should not spare 5 of those minutes in a week to do something fun, then you are a political hack.

HonestChieffan
03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/150149-white-house-scrubs-obama-transparency-award-ceremony-

Transparency award ceremony off. Drudge blamed.

HonestChieffan
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
But Michelle is gonna write a new book....

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/michelle-obama-white-house-garden.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — There’s a new author in the White House: Michelle Obama.

The first lady has signed with the Crown Publishing Group for a book about the garden she started on the South Lawn of the White House and the benefits of healthy eating.

The book, currently untitled, is scheduled to come out in April 2012. Obama received no advance and will donate all proceeds to a charity or charities to be determined.

The White House said the garden has yielded more than 2,000 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables.

“We’ve gotten food out of the garden, and we can eat it and it’s good,” Obama said Wednesday during a brief telephone interview with The Associated Press. “So we wanted to share the story with the rest of the nation and perhaps with the rest of the world, because we get so many questions about the garden: How did we do it? Why did we do it? How do I do this in my own home or community?”

The first lady, 47, has been an advocate for locally grown food and last year started an anti-obesity campaign, “Let’s Move!” According to Crown, the book will be “inspirational and instructive, and will provide ideas and resources for readers to get involved in the movement to create community, school and urban gardens, support local farmers’ markets, and make small lifestyle changes to achieve big health results.

“Mrs. Obama will also share some of her family’s favorite healthy recipes.”

petegz28
03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/150149-white-house-scrubs-obama-transparency-award-ceremony-

Transparency award ceremony off. Drudge blamed.

How can you give a Transparency Award to a President that won't release his "ofiicial" birth certificate? I am not a birther but this smacks of irony.

Count Alex's Losses
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Alnorth neg repped me for this thread. ROFL

Guess the truth hurts.

pr_capone
03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Being mad at the president for showing his NCAA bracket on a 5-minute shoot for ESPN is completely and utterly retarded. If you think this is a good reason to say Obama is not doing his job and should be fired, then you are not only wrong, you are also a political hack who views politics as a simplistic football game where everything goes if it means that the "other team" wearing the D or R jersey loses.

Simply put, the president of the united states is not *THAT* god damned important. Yes, he's very important, yes his job should be hard and busy, but he's got over 10,000 minutes to spare per week. We also expect him to take a few weeks of vacation per year. (Yes, to those of you who are criticizing him for taking his family to Rio, you are being really dumb) If you think he should not spare 5 of those minutes in a week to do something fun, then you are a political hack.

It's not a matter of him going on ESPN and doing a show. I like to see a Prez that goes to ballgames and gets out with the rest of us. Let the guy have fun now and then. If most everything in the world is chill? Absolutely.

The reason most people are pissed is that there is shit going wrong all over the world right now, as well as at home, and the mother fucker is hitting the back 9, going to parties, and doing sports shows.

Oh, and when he IS working... he is hitting all the important stuff like working on getting rid of guns. Meanwhile the education system in his country goes to shit while the deficit plunges and the world sits back and laughs.

alnorth
03-16-2011, 11:34 PM

Guess the truth hurts.

Thats pretty remarkable since I almost never bother doing anything with, or caring about, rep. (and no, the truth doesn't hurt because I voted against him and probably will again. Criticising the president for talking about a bracket for 5 minutes or going on vacation is silly)

You have to post something really damned dumb before I look for that silly rep button.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 01:16 AM
This type of criticism pisses me off no matter who is president. I was irritated when the Dems pulled this stupid sh*t on Bush, and I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't also angry when the tables are turned and it was the Republicans who were being a bunch of fools.

There are lots of reasons to criticize Obama. Lots and lots of reasons. Diplomatic decisions, national security priorities, legislative agenda, how he uses his executive power, whatever. Lots of reasons to criticize Obama.

This is not one of them.

Three things:

1. Part of this is just a result of the turnabout-is-fair-play concept. People who were annoyed by the lame criticisms of Bush's vacations are giving Obama a hard time in return.

2. Bush gave up the game of golf specifically because of the appearance it would give if he were out playing a game while soldiers and marines were dying in a foreign war. As a result, criticism of Obama on that issue isn't a case of hypocrisy of the type you're talking about.

3. Obama exacerbates the issue by being so slow to make decisions and reluctant to be seen taking a leadership role in the pressing matters of the day. It's at best horrible PR for him to be focusing on bullying, women's history month, and sports events when people are concerned about ongoing economic problems, unrest throughout the middle east and a crisis in Japan. At worst, he's failing the country with possibly the worst leadership we've had from a POTUS in at least 30 years.

ClevelandBronco
03-17-2011, 01:19 AM
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/michelle-obama-white-house-garden.jpg

That chick could really pass for a non-human primate with a minimum of makeup.

InChiefsHell
03-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Three things:

1. Part of this is just a result of the turnabout-is-fair-play concept. People who were annoyed by the lame criticisms of Bush's vacations are giving Obama a hard time in return.

2. Bush gave up the game of golf specifically because of the appearance it would give if he were out playing a game while soldiers and marines were dying in a foreign war. As a result, criticism of Obama on that issue isn't a case of hypocrisy of the type you're talking about.

3. Obama exacerbates the issue by being so slow to make decisions and reluctant to be seen taking a leadership role in the pressing matters of the day. It's at best horrible PR for him to be focusing on bullying, women's history month, and sports events when people are concerned about ongoing economic problems, unrest throughout the middle east and a crisis in Japan. At worst, he's failing the country with possibly the worst leadership we've had from a POTUS in at least 30 years.

:clap::clap:

This. It's not about a single event...it's a cumulative effect. Yes, there are many who will just want to destroy him for being a Dem (ala people who wanted to destroy Bush for being a Rep) but in my case at least, I'm simply looking at results. This administration has shown itself to be hypocritical, elitist, and naive, if not flat out stupid. Still not sure whether it's evil or incompetent...but either way, the results speak for themselves.

The Mad Crapper
03-17-2011, 06:40 AM
But Michelle is gonna write a new book....

LMAO

King_Chief_Fan
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Guess the truth hurts.

dont worry, I just gave you positive rep

The Mad Crapper
03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Approve or not, Al, the country is taking notice and doesn't like what it sees...

'Sire, the peasants are revolting!' Obama's amazing problem with political optics Comments (15) (138)(57)March 16, 2011 | 4:56 pm

"Sire," the nobleman urgently reports to the throne, "the peasants are revolting!"

"Phewee!" the king responds in the vaudeville sketch, "You're telling me."

For security reasons mainly, every modern U.S. president lives apart from average Americans.

Yes, George Washington refused to shake hands with fellow citizens. But Thomas Jefferson quickly took up that democratic habit. Two presidents have been assassinated shaking hands and Andrew Jakcson would have been had the pistols not misfired. Shaking hands has now become such an expected political staple that campaigning pols must often soak their hands of an evening to relieve the pain from so many citizen grips.

Most presidents do try to play down their apartness and not appear, well, royal. Remember all the mocking of Richard Nixon's proposed martinette White House guard uniforms? Royals are, after all, the folks we threw out in a revolution more than two centuries ago.

But, wow, what has gone wrong with the Optics Czar in the Obama White House?

The current president is a Real Good Talker. But the current White House crowd, which counts on its public connections to....

...sell its policies, seems to be going out of its way these days to look totally disconnected from the reality the rest of us see and live with. And today was a corker:

President Obama was scheduled to receive an award this afternoon in the middle of Sunshine Week from a coalition of good government groups for his much-promised policy of government transparency. Strangely, this award for government openness was to include only photographers. So, no meddlesome media questions.

Worse, the transparency award was scheduled for a day when every other presidential activity was closed to the media and public. Not the best context and an obvious invitation to "wait-one-minute-stories" like this.

In terms of information opennesss earlier this week the Associated Press reported:

People requested information 544,360 times last year under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act from the 35 largest agencies, up nearly 41,000 more than the previous year, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of new federal data. But the government responded to nearly 12,400 fewer requests.
Weirdly the administration even censored e-mails about its openness:

The Obama administration censored 194 pages of internal e-mails about its Open Government Directive that the AP requested more than one year ago.
The December 2009 directive requires every agency to take immediate, specific steps to open their operations up to the public. But the White House Office of Management and Budget blacked-out entire pages of some e-mails between federal employees discussing how to apply the new openness rules, and it blacked-out one e-mail discussing how to respond to AP's request for information about the transparency directive.

OK, maybe that's inside baseball for some. Other Obama optics have been skewed recently. He appoints Joe Biden to head negotiations over a continuing federal spending extension and cuts because they are of paramount importance; Joe meets once, then flies off to Finland, Russia and Moldova for a working week. He phones back twice from Russia but can't reach Harry Reid.

Last Friday Americans woke to the horrific sight of that ocean wave wiping out thousands of lives and homes in Japan. Fresh from still studying what if anything to do about Libya and his White House conference on bullying, the president, of course, expressed sympathy and offered help to our most important Asian alliy.

But his opening news conference message involved gas prices.
Amid all the international turmoil came Saturday morning's weekly messages from each political party. Republicans called for fewer Obama drilling moratoriums and more domestic oil development. Obama celebrated Women's History Month.

Saturday with all the international turmoil and no firm Libya policy decisions yet from the White House, Obama hit the golf course for the 61st time. (No photos allowed.)

This isn't an unusual Obama phenomenon. Throughout 2009 when polls showed jobs and the economy the top national concern, Obama drove his healthcare initiative relentlessly. And those who supported him in Congress paid a steep price in last November's midterm voting.

Biden has twice met with the administration's chief of transparency--and closed the session.

As he did for last week's White House gathering with top union leaders, something that used to drive Sen. Biden crazy when the previous vice president did it with energy officials.

Obama aides boast of opening visitor logs as never before. But recent news media reports told of White House officials scheduling meetings elsewhere to avoid the log.

Michelle Obama has chosen healthier eating and more physical activity as her admirable first lady cause. But the public White House menus for Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl party could easily cause comas.

The frequent White House parties allegedly celebrating American music also produce well-dressed photos of the Obamas and celebrities hobnobbing in elegance while national unemployment hovers by 9% or worse and Obama notoriously suggested Americans who needed to cut back might postpone their vacation.

Last summer as her husband urged Americans to vacation on the troubled Gulf coast despite the massive oil spill, Mrs. Obama flew off to Spain with a large entourage to take over much of a luxury resort. The Obamas did spend a night later on the Gulf (see swimming photo) before themselves vacationing in New England and then North Carolina and then Hawaii for the holidays. Sunday Obama and family leave for Rio de Janeiro.

As a nod to today's goof, the White House announced the transparency award ceremony had been canceled due to "changes" in the president's plans, adding it would be re-scheduled. Don't hold your breath.

Taken individually -- like Mrs. Obama notoriously wearing $600 tennis shoes to a food bank event -- these acts can seem minor gaffes. Everyone expects a president to relax or exercise or stage elegant parties. But in the broader context of events nowadays such a blatant pattern of persistent insensitivity comes across as, at best, just plain stupid, or possibly brazenly indifferent. We're here and you're not.

Not the best theme heading into a reelection season.

With the impending nuclear meltdown, two wars and everything else going on, however, you'll be relieved to know that President Obama did complete his NCAA basketball brackets on time -- and on-camera, of course. And he made tonight's Democratic Party fundraiser too.

Obama thinks Kansas will win the championship.

-- Andrew Malcolm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/03/obama-ncaa-japan-foia-transparency-golf.html