PDA

View Full Version : Legal Obama wants more crackdown on possible copyright infringement

healthpellets
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
yippie! expanding government power and making otherwise innocent kids streaming "illegal content" federal convicts! woohoo!

More wiretaps FTW!

Hey, and pay no attention to the economic collapse, unemployment rate, or any other real problem in this country. Look at all the kids streaming season 2 of Breaking Bad! We've got to act now!

White House wants new copyright law crackdown
by Declan McCullagh

The White House today proposed sweeping revisions to U.S. copyright law, including making "illegal streaming" of audio or video a federal felony and allowing FBI agents to wiretap suspected infringers.

In a 20-page white paper (PDF), the Obama administration called on the U.S. Congress to fix "deficiencies that could hinder enforcement" of intellectual property laws.

The report was prepared by Victoria Espinel, the first Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator who received Senate confirmation in December 2009, and represents a broad tightening of many forms of intellectual property law including ones that deal with counterfeit pharmaceuticals and overseas royalties for copyright holders. (See CNET's report last month previewing today's white paper.)

Some of the highlights:

The White House is concerned that "illegal streaming of content" may not be covered by criminal law, saying "questions have arisen about whether streaming constitutes the distribution of copyrighted works." To resolve that ambiguity, it wants a new law to "clarify that infringement by streaming, or by means of other similar new technology, is a felony in appropriate circumstances."

Under federal law, wiretaps may only be conducted in investigations of serious crimes, a list that was expanded by the 2001 Patriot Act to include offenses such as material support of terrorism and use of weapons of mass destruction. The administration is proposing to add copyright and trademark infringement, arguing that move "would assist U.S. law enforcement agencies to effectively investigate those offenses."

Under the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, it's generally illegal to distribute hardware or software--such as the DVD-decoding software Handbrake available from a server in France--that can "circumvent" copy protection technology. The administration is proposing that if Homeland Security seizes circumvention devices, it be permitted to "inform rightholders," "provide samples of such devices," and assist "them in bringing civil actions."

The term "fair use" does not appear anywhere in the report. But it does mention Web sites like The Pirate Bay, which is hosted in Sweden, when warning that "foreign-based and foreign-controlled Web sites and Web services raise particular concerns for U.S. enforcement efforts." (See previous coverage of a congressional hearing on overseas sites.)

The usual copyright hawks, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, applauded the paper, which grew out of a so-called joint strategic plan that Vice President Biden and Espinel announced in June 2010.

Rob Calia, a senior director at the Chamber's Global Intellectual Property Center, said we "strongly support the white paper's call for Congress to clarify that criminal copyright infringement through unauthorized streaming, is a felony. We know both the House and Senate are looking at this issue and encourage them to work closely with the administration and other stakeholders to combat this growing threat."

In October 2008, President Bush signed into law the so-called Pro IP ACT, which created Espinel's position and increased penalties for infringement, after expressing its opposition to an earlier version.

Unless legislative proposals--like one nearly a decade ago implanting strict copy controls in digital devices--go too far, digital copyright tends not to be a particularly partisan topic. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, near-universally disliked by programmers and engineers for its anti-circumvention section, was approved unanimously in the U.S. Senate.

At the same time, Democratic politicians tend to be a bit more enthusiastic about the topic. Biden was a close Senate ally of copyright holders, and President Obama picked top copyright industry lawyers for Justice Department posts. Last year, Biden warned that "piracy is theft."

No less than 78 percent of political contributions from Hollywood went to Democrats in 2008, which is broadly consistent with the trend for the last two decades, according to OpenSecrets.org.

blaise
03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Seems fine to me.

patteeu
03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I want to hear the reaction from the people who were outraged by the idea of wiretapping suspected terrorists under the patriot act.

BucEyedPea
03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Obama defending private property. Oh my!

Is there enough room in our prisons? Or will he be building a LOT more?

healthpellets
03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Obama defending private property. Oh my!

Is there enough room in our prisons? Or will he be building a LOT more?

maybe he can pardon non-violent drug offenders to make room?

BucEyedPea
03-16-2011, 10:21 AM
maybe he can pardon non-violent drug offenders to make room?

You mean use displacement? Archimedes would be proud! :thumb:

The Mad Crapper
03-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I want to hear the reaction from the people who were outraged by the idea of wiretapping suspected terrorists under the patriot act.

You will find them crying in that thread about Kansas strip bars.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
A felony. LMAO I rest my case when it comes to felonies.

The Department of Homeland Security has already shut down one of the very best sights. Your tax dollars hard at work. Sure glad our Commander and Queef is concentrating on what's important in these hard times. New laws, that's what we need. Lock up those felons. Let's totally misuse and entire department and the resources that we charge tax payers for it.

mikey23545
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Hope and chains.

chiefsnorth
03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Clearly he's done with all that important stuff so he's moved on to this

orange
03-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey, and pay no attention to the economic collapse, unemployment rate, or any other real problem in this country. Look at all the kids streaming season 2 of Breaking Bad! We've got to act now!

Clearly he's done with all that important stuff so he's moved on to this

Heavens! You mean the Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator hasn't been working on breaking the budget impasse?! :banghead:

The Mad Crapper
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Stalin_Obamas_Uncle_Joe.gif

blaise
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM

BUSH is making this country like Orwell's 1984!

Jaric
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
No less than 78 percent of political contributions from Hollywood went to Democrats in 2008, which is broadly consistent with the trend for the last two decades, according to OpenSecrets.org. Playing to the base. That's all this is.

orange
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Playing to the base. That's all this is.

"U.S. Chamber of Commerce, applauded the paper"

The Base. LMAO

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I sympathize with efforts to protect private property, and I agree that intellectual property is as private as any property, but I think we'll be even less successful in this pursuit than we have been in the War on Drugs (in part because we won't throw the same kind of numbers around when it comes to addressing this problem). Creators and owners are just going to have to live with the fact that if there is an audience for their creations, a thriving black market will exist to distribute them illegally.

Back in the day, every office had a cartoon that someone had hacked out of the paper tacked to the bulletin board. Well, the bulletin board just got really, really large and completely uncontrollable.

orange
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I sympathize with efforts to protect private property, and I agree that intellectual property is as private as any property, but I think we'll be even less successful in this pursuit than we have been in the War on Drugs (in part because we won't throw the same kind of numbers around when it comes to addressing this problem). Creators and owners are just going to have to live with the fact that if there is an audience for their creations, a thriving black market will exist to distribute them illegally.

Back in the day, every office had a cartoon that someone had hacked out of the paper tacked to the bulletin board. Well, the bulletin board just got really, really large and completely uncontrollable.

I think they can get rid of the big organizational piracy (e.g. Pirate Bay) and shove it back to the mom-and-pop level, though.

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I think they can get rid of the big organizational piracy (e.g. Pirate Bay) and shove it back to the mom-and-pop level, though.

We can get rid of this big organizational pirate or that one, one at a time, maybe. We can't stop demand, and demand will always be supplied.

healthpellets
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM

eh? speaking specifically to PirateBay, it's located in Sweeden I think. Other than pressuring the Sweeds to crack down (which they have) there's not much they can LEGALLY do about it.

The Mad Crapper
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, good times...

:drool:

I also considered Lincoln and FDR. However, the assault on our civil liberties is much broader and more calculated today, IMO. Also, the erosion of personal privacy is a modern day threat that exceeds the targeted initiatives you speak of during times of war.
To single out the Patriot Act does not fully paint the picture of an administration that displays a clear pattern of secrecy and a willingness to undermine our civil liberties and our privacy for political power.

Media consolidation also threatens the masses' ability to receive unfiltered information without the heavy hand of a government very proactive in manipulation and the dissemination of propaganda.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/oped/ci_3337465

Big Brother is watching

IT took 21 years longer than expected, but the future has finally arrived.
And we don't like it. Not one bit.

We are fighting a war with no end to create a peace with no defined victory.

We occupy a foreign land that doesn't want us, while at home our civil liberties are discounted.

We are told that it's better not to know what our government is doing in our name, for security purposes. Meanwhile, our government is becoming omnipresent, spying on us whenever it deems it necessary.

One of the biggest flaws that I see with the Patriot Act is that nothing in the language of the act itself offers any guarantee that "law-abiding people have nothing to fear." As it is, we're operating on an honor system of sorts. The only guarantee we have that those in power will not abuse the power the PA gives them is their word that they won't. I may believe Bush when he claims that he won't use it against law-abiding Americans, but I am not nearly so inclined to believe that Cheney wouldn't use it in such a way, if for some reason Bush were to be removed from office. And, as TJ correctly pointed out, just because the current administration has promised (for whatever that's worth) not to use it against us, they can't speak for whoever comes after them. I know I would be much more comfortable if there were stronger safeguards against despotic abuse than simply taking their word for it.

healthpellets
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
If ya'll didn't see this last week, the owner of channelsurfing.net (one of my personal favorites) was ARRESTED by DHS for linking to sites showing live sporting events.

it seems that he was either linking to, or streaming himself, a UFC event which is what led to his arrest for CRIMINAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

he faces five years in federal prison for this.

of course, Dana White is thrilled with the arrest.

just so we're all aware, we now have the Department for Homeland Security that was established to better help the US fight terrorism, doing the bidding of private corporations and arresting citizens for what should be civil actions.

makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

http://www.sandiego.com/news/houston-area-man-popped-for-internet-piracy-channelsurfing.net

Garcia Bronco
03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't link their shit. I don't understand whyu most people on the interwebs think they are entitleed to content and bandwidth. You aren't. While I don't agree with teh Feds getting involved...don't watch the UFC. It's for stupid people anyway.

BucEyedPea
03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
If ya'll didn't see this last week, the owner of channelsurfing.net (one of my personal favorites) was ARRESTED by DHS for linking to sites showing live sporting events.

it seems that he was either linking to, or streaming himself, a UFC event which is what led to his arrest for CRIMINAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

of course, Dana White is thrilled with the arrest.

just so we're all aware, we now have the Department for Homeland Security that was established to better help the US fight terrorism, doing the bidding of private corporations and arresting citizens for what should be civil actions.

makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

http://www.sandiego.com/news/houston-area-man-popped-for-internet-piracy-channelsurfing.net

I read that linking is not the same as copying. What's with that? I mean it leads to traffic for who they link to.

If there is true copying, it's usually settled civilly. Anyone hear of just asking someone to stop first, then send a letter, then have your lawyer write a letter to give someone a chance to change. People will usually stop if they know the ramifications for continuing. But prison?

orange
03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Steal -> Go To Jail

"streaming himself"