PDA

View Full Version : Football Dan Snyder Going Off the Deep End (even more)

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Apparently newspapers, blogs, etc., can't use the name "Redskins" without paying Dan-o.

"Apparently, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is taking a stand to make sure nobody uses his team’s name without paying for it–with the Washington Post being the latest victim.

The Post was recently asked to change the name of “Redskins Insider” since they don’t have a contract or pay the organization to use the name, according to Brad Biggs of the National Football Post. Now, the famous blog that covers the Redskins on a consistent basis will be refferred to as “Football Insider.” The Post’s Paul Farhi provided an explanation on Tuesday:

The Redskins, who have been at the forefront in creating their own multimedia operations, have been aggressive in policing the use and misuse of their “brand” by others.

For many years, the “Redskins” name was used freely in the titles of local sports highlight shows on TV and radio. No longer. The team put an end to the practice several year ago, now only permitting “authorized” uses of its name — that is, under contractual agreement. Comcast SportsNet is the “official” TV network of the team, for example, and airs a highlight program called “Redskins Nation” hosted by Larry Michael, a broadcaster who is an employee of the team. At the same time, the Redskins produce a half-dozen interview and promotional TV shows through the team-owned Redskins Broadcast Network. The programs air on local stations during the football season.

The Redskins recently asked The Washington Post to rename the newspaper’s video webcast and blog about the team, which was called “Redskins Insider,” according to people who have knowledge of the circumstances. The team had used the name “Redskins Insider” first, and The Post agreed to switch to “Football Insider.”

Well played Mr. Snyder–finding another way to get some extra money in those pockets from people outside of the organization."

seclark
03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
he should probably charge for the use of the word "suck", also.
sec

BCD
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Nope. The Owners arent greedy at all...

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
The Post should start using the name "Washington Poorly Run Team".

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Perhaps the Native American's should sue him.

mikey23545
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
U.S. Patent #386511-09: Moron Millionaire

Cave Johnson
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Perhaps the Native American's should sue him.

I'd take the case pro bono.

Dave Lane
03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
U.S. Patent #386511-09: Moron Billionaire

FYP

Iowanian
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Skinsbra no like be frens dansnidur. HOooooooooooooooooooooock

Detoxing
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I wonder how the real redskins feel about this...

Okie_Apparition
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I must have controll! It may all go to hell, but I will control the spiral!

WV
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Between Dan Snyder and Peter Angelos the local teams around here have some of the worst owners in all of sports.

jrowe
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
This isn't about the use of the word "Redskins." You can still talk about and write about them using the word "Redskins." It saying you can't create a commercial enterprise or brand and use the word Redskins.

I think it's totally reasonable. Its licensed use if fine, but unlicensed, commercial use isn't. It's the same reason you can create your own broadcast of a sporting event.

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
This isn't about the use of the word "Redskins." You can still talk about and write about them using the word "Redskins." It saying you can't create a commercial enterprise or brand and use the word Redskins.

I think it's totally reasonable. Its licensed use if fine, but unlicensed, commercial use isn't.

If there was a website called Redskins Planet, would it be reasonable for the Skins to tell them to stop?

Old Dog
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Shoulda just dropped the "s" and called it Redskin Insider. Not much he could have done about that.