PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 27

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
This one will be interesting. So get up out of your seats and DANCE!

scott free
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Ol Blue Eyes, Sabbath & ZZ

Predarat
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Another good heat! (except for the one from the artist that shall go unnamed)

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Sinatra is rock and roll now?

This was the toughest one for me. First time I wanted to vote for one but couldn't.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Hell, if Piano Man is rock, why not Sinatra? Pft.

Very tough heat, two worthy contenders will not advance.

Ultimately I went with a personal favorite that I can't imagine I've ever clicked away from - Cheap Trick gets my #1 vote.

#2 goes to Ozzie; he's not one of my favorites as he can get grating, but this song is unquestionably badass.

#3 goes to Skynard. My apologies to Motorhead (great song in its own right) and ZZ Top (If only the whole song was as good as the first 45 seconds...); you were worthy adversaries that would've advanced through most other heats...

ClevelandBronco
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Why the asterisk?

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Simple Man, Children of the Grave, Crazy Train

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Why the asterisk?

Steroids.

Actually, I was wondering that myself. It wasn't something that I pasted in. I must've accidentally hit two keys simultaneously as I was pasting? How odd.

Old Dog
03-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Skynard, Ozzy, and Motorhead

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Sinatra is rock and roll now?

This was the toughest one for me. First time I wanted to vote for one but couldn't.

That nomination may have been in jest, but I decided that it wasn't my role to make the call. I figured the Guns N Roses nominations were in jest too.

scott free
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Maybe not so much the music itself, though it is pure greatness, but Sinatra's life was very much in the spirit of rock & roll.

Legendary boozing, legendary broads, fightin, associating with shady figures... the key ingredients are all there.

KCUnited
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Motorhead should win this going away.

Chiefburger
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Simple Man, Crazy Train, I Want You To Want Me. I flip the station every time ZZTop somehow finds itself on the radio.

Over-Head
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
IMO best round yet, Didn't like 1, so so on another, other than that it was hard making it JUST 3

scott free
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I flip the station every time ZZTop somehow finds itself on the radio.

Fine, stay right where you are... the Turk will be around shortly to collect your Rock Fan card.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
The Lady is a Tramp, Frank Sinatra - Not sure if this was a joke submission or not, but it's actually a pretty darn good song. However, it doesn't fit any definition of rock and roll, so I couldn't vote for it even though I liked it better than many of the others.

I Want You to Want Me, Cheap Trick - Classic fun song. I give it a #1 vote in a pretty lukewarm heat.

Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath - Couldn't really see a lot of redeeming features in this one. No.

Desolation Row, Bob Dylan - Not one of Dylan's better efforts.

Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Seemed like a reasonable tune. I've heard better, but not bad.

Crazy Train, Ozzy Osbourne - The song itself is kind of okay, but that guitar riff is awesome and worth a #2 vote

Ace of Spades, Motorhead - I don't know if I've ever heard a Motorhead song other than this tournament. It was good enough to get my #3 vote, but probably wouldn't have done so in any other heat so far.

LaGrange, ZZTop - Fine song. Came in fourth or fifth in my review, neck and neck with Simple Man.

Reaper16
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Votes go to "LaGrange" and "Ace of Spades." That Motorhead song has enough punk rock in it to make me feel comfortable voting for it. I did not vote for the excellent "Children of the Grave" or "Crazy Train" because they are not rock songs. I coinflipped between "Desolation Row" and "Simple Man" for the third vote.

Reaper16
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
See, this is why Rain Man drive me bonkers when it comes to music. The Boss is the end-all, be-all for him, and he can't find "redeeming features" in such a great Sabbath song. We're coming from entirely different perspectives.

Slainte
03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Desolation Row, Bob Dylan - Not one of Dylan's better efforts.

LMAO

How fucking stupid. Even critics who haven't been very kind to Dylan's music tend to acknowledge this as one his truly classic songs...

but never mind...proceed.

Gadzooks
03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Votes go to "LaGrange" and "Ace of Spades." That Motorhead song has enough punk rock in it to make me feel comfortable voting for it. I did not vote for the excellent "Children of the Grave" or "Crazy Train" because they are not rock songs. I coinflipped between "Desolation Row" and "Simple Man" for the third vote.

There is very little diabolus in musica in Crazy Train so I beleive it qualifies as a rock song.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:03 PM
See, this is why Rain Man drive me bonkers when it comes to music. The Boss is the end-all, be-all for him, and he can't find "redeeming features" in such a great Sabbath song. We're coming from entirely different perspectives.

Yes, but with some understanding and open-mindedness I think we can bridge our differences and - nope, just listened to the Sabbath song again. We can't bridge our differences.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
LMAO

How ****ing stupid. Even critics who haven't been very kind to Dylan's music tend to acknowledge this as one his truly classic songs...

but never mind...proceed.

Maybe part of the problem is that I have to listen to it being performed by weird people sitting in their apartment and try to imagine Dylan singing it because the Dylan Brownshirts take all of the Dylan songs off of youtube.

I actually like a lot of Dylan songs a lot. I also dislike a lot of Dylan songs a lot. His Blood on the Tracks album is top-notch from top to bottom, but then I bought Red Sky or whatever it's called and stared in horror the whole time it was playing.

Slainte
03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Listen to 'Highway 61 Revisited' instead of those others.

Screw it, I'm not trying to convert. I'm far from the biggest Dylan fan here...

Reaper16
03-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, but with some understanding and open-mindedness I think we can bridge our differences and - nope, just listened to the Sabbath song again. We can't bridge our differences.
No, we can't. I just listened to seven different Springsteen songs. Each one had the keyboard player performing the same riff over and over throughout the entire song. dun-dun-dunuhn-DUN-DUN-DUNUHNUHN. dun-dun-dunuhn-DUN-DUN-DUNUHNUHN.

Slainte
03-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Can't we all just get on with it so we can eventually watch some lame Led Zep song battle it out with some lame Lynyrd Skynyrd for the 'Neck championship?...

Ebolapox
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I am mad and will neg rep EVERYBODY who DIDN'T VOTE for MOTORHEAD. LOUD NOISES AND THREATS!

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
No, we can't. I just listened to seven different Springsteen songs. Each one had the keyboard player performing the same riff over and over throughout the entire song. dun-dun-dunuhn-DUN-DUN-DUNUHNUHN. dun-dun-dunuhn-DUN-DUN-DUNUHNUHN.

Perhaps we can find common ground in the musical stylings of Bob Dylan.

Slainte
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
When does REO Speedwagon enter into the equation?... #Duh

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Y'know, I don't think they received any nominations, nor did Journey. (For some reason I always think of those two groups together.)

KurtCobain
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
How does Ace of Spades of spades not move on?

I'm growing weary of Chiefs Planet's musical taste.

Reaper16
03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Perhaps we can find common ground in the musical stylings of Bob Dylan.
I believe that we can.

Woodrow Call
03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Skynyrd, Motorhead, Dylan

Third Eye
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
How does Ace of Spades of spades not move on?

I'm growing weary of Chiefs Planet's musical taste.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but I will certainly be disappointed if it doesn't move on.

patteeu
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Y'know, I don't think they received any nominations, nor did Journey. (For some reason I always think of those two groups together.)

REO had a song, Golden Country, knocked out by Springsteen's Born To Run, AC/DC's Hell's Bells, and Cheap Trick's Dream Police in round 10.

patteeu
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
The Lady is a Tramp, Frank Sinatra - No

I Want You to Want Me, Cheap Trick - This song edged out Simple Man and Children of the Grave for my 3rd vote. It's fun and sticks in your head in a good way.

Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath - I'm with Reaper on this Rain Man / Reaper divide. Great song. But not great enough to get my Ozzy vote in this heat.

Desolation Row, Bob Dylan - Not that bad, but it will take a pretty weak heat for me to vote for a Bob Dylan song. Dylan's songs could all benefit from a different singer, IMO.

Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd - I like this song well enough, but I like other Skynyrd songs better and can't vote for them here.

Crazy Train, Ozzy Osbourne - This song is easily my 1st vote. Ozzy at his best, but I agree with Rain Man that Randy Rhodes' guitar is the star.

Ace of Spades, Motorhead - Lemmy is the Bob Dylan voice of hard rock. He ruins the song for me.

LaGrange, ZZTop - This song gets my 2nd vote. Love that guitar.

Bump
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I want you to want me? Really? bunch of faggots.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
REO had a song, Golden Country, knocked out by Springsteen's Born To Run, AC/DC's Hell's Bells, and Cheap Trick's Dream Police in round 10.

Travesty.

Golden Country losing to Dream Police...

Still probably my biggest annoyance of the tournament to date.

Chiefnj2
03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I want you to want me? Really? bunch of pillowbitergots.

It's a great song to sing to animals while you shoot them, skin them and leave the carcass in the woods.

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Well, there you go, slainte.

I need to start referring all questions to patteeu.

Bugeater
03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Kind of a 'meh' heat. Nothing I'm real crazy about, but nothing I completely despise either. I'm not sure how I'm going to vote on this one.

patteeu
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Kind of a 'meh' heat. Nothing I'm real crazy about, but nothing I completely despise either. I'm not sure how I'm going to vote on this one.

There's a convenient voter's guide in post 35.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Shuttin' 'er down with:

Simple Man
Crazy Train
LaGrange

Omaha
03-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Very bad heat. I feel like I may be more evolved than the rest of you guys.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Very bad heat. I feel like I may be more evolved than the rest of you guys.

You're pretty much right on the first sentence. I'd need to see your posture and tool-making ability before making the call on the second sentence.

Omaha
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
The Lady is a Tramp, Frank Sinatra - Cool song, but it seems out of place in this poll

I Want You to Want Me, Cheap Trick - I hate Cheap Trick

Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath - This was nominated over so many others?

Desolation Row, Bob Dylan - Meh choice from a great songwriter

Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Good song. I should have voted for this one.

Crazy Train, Ozzy Osbourne - The song itself is kind of okay, but that guitar riff is awesome and worth a #2 vote

Ace of Spades, Motorhead - Noise

LaGrange, ZZTop - OK song. Not really my thing, but Billy Gibbons gets one of the coolest guitar tones I've ever heard.

I must have been in a bad mood earlier because I chose suckage. If I had a time machine, I'd throw a vote to Simple Man.