PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto I have a question about a truck repair...

BossChief
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
My trucks speedometer a couple days ago stopped working and it caused the transmission to not shift as smoothly (and almost not at all) and I had the work done and they diagnosed it as the speed control censor and said the transmission needed a service (fluid flush and filter change) as well so I had them do the work.

I get the truck back and it drives ok yesterday (shifts smoothly again) but there is a slight noise coming from the floorboards in between the two seats...as the day goes by (I install both Directv and Dish network for a retail shop and drive a lot) the noise gets louder and I call the shop that did the work and they have me drive it there and once there they tell me the transfer case had almost no fluid in it and it seemed that the mechanic that worked on it knew that was the problem before even looking at it.

Even after doing a service to the transfer case (which only cost me $65) it still has a sound coming from the area in the cab above the transfer case.

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) Is it possible they emptied the transfer case fluid and didnt refill it while doing the service to the transmission...causing the transfer case to have permanent damage to it now after running with minimal fluid to operate? Or are they totally separate entities?

2) Are there some things I can do to test the transfer case for mechanical breakdown as I am not entirely sure what the function of it is (this is my first 4wd truck that had problems).

If this info helps, its a 2006 Chevy Colorado 4wd 5cyl engine. If any other info is needed, just let me know...

I appreciate any help you guys can give me!!!

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
its POSSIBLE that they drained the fluid, but goddamn i would hope like hell they didnt.

its not something they would need to drain to service the trans.

actually it wasnt necessary to service the trans to install the speed sensor.

wait......

the speed sensor could actually go IN the transfer case on that unit.

but at the top where they wouldnt have known that is was low.

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
the transfer case transfers a % of the power to the front wheels when in 4X4.

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
put it in 4X4 and get back to me on what the noise does, gets louder stops etc.

make some sharp turns to put the chain in a bind

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
the fluids are two totally separate things from TC to trans

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
5 cyl?

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
5 cyl?

yep.

bevischief
03-16-2011, 07:02 PM
The ones to listen too have already responded. Listen to them.

BossChief
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks Jason....Ill let you know what it does tomorrow.

JASONSAUTO
03-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Jason....Ill let you know what it does tomorrow.

cool let me know