PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Anyone watching this abortion of a basketball game on ESPN 2?

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
JFC howd they extend this bald stupid pillowbiter

bevischief
03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
No it is basketball.

LiveSteam
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
:facepalm:
It's quite obvious, the kids dont agree with his new contract
I vote. Drop Husker men basketball & bring back UNO wrestling & football.

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 06:43 PM
You can tell Tom was a politician. Able to fleece the public into paying for a brand new arena while giving the taxpayers the bird and extending the 4th stooge.

the Talking Can
03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
no one gives a shit about big 10 basketball

Pitt Gorilla
03-16-2011, 06:57 PM
JFC howd they extend this bald stupid pillowbiterPelini got an extension?!?

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
no one gives a shit about big 10 basketball

Funny because they have their own network.

Ceej
03-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I remember that Nebraska bubble thread. LMAO

kstater
03-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Doc did an excellent coaching job to keep it within 30.

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Just another MVC win in postseason play against the Big 12.

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Just another MVC win in postseason play against the Big 12.

Well we did beat Creighton earlier in the year :)

I saw the Shockers now have 25 wins but they weren't really ever talked about as a serious bubble team?

SNR
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
:facepalm:
It's quite obvious, the kids dont agree with his new contract
I vote. Drop Husker men basketball & bring back UNO wrestling & football.Wait, what happened to Nebraska Omaha football? I remember UND playing against them in the old North Central Conference in Division II. They were a good, tough opponent year in and year out.

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Wait, what happened to Nebraska Omaha football? I remember UND playing against them in the old North Central Conference in Division II. They were a good, tough opponent year in and year out.

From my understanding it's so the basketball program can go D-1. They'll be in the same league as UMKC. This must have been a spur of the moment decision too because I remember just last month hearing the UNO coach talk about his recruiting class.

Braincase
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
As a Wichita State alum, I approve of this thread.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Just got back from the game, o boy was that fun, that was one of the biggest ass whipping i have ever seen any big 12/10 take. I mean you could tell right after they came out of the tunnel who was ready to play and who wasnt.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Well we did beat Creighton earlier in the year :)

I saw the Shockers now have 25 wins but they weren't really ever talked about as a serious bubble team?

yea, just not enough quality wins, we had our chances, we had UCONN beat the whole game in Maui, but Kemba Walker took the game from us in the last 3 minutes of the game, plus had a few bad losses.

Braincase
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
yea, just not enough quality wins, we had our chances, we had UCONN beat the whole game in Maui, but Kemba Walker took the game from us in the last 3 minutes of the game, plus had a few bad losses.

It's the Missouri Valley Conference... it's not we're the Colonial League.

alanm
03-16-2011, 11:12 PM
From my understanding it's so the basketball program can go D-1. They'll be in the same league as UMKC. This must have been a spur of the moment decision too because I remember just last month hearing the UNO coach talk about his recruiting class.Wrong. It's all about Maverick hockey.
And a new arena. Basketball will go Div 1 also but to the Summit league.
Adios Football and Wrestling ( Which just won D II national championship that day) :(

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Wrong. It's all about Maverick hockey.
Adios Football and Wrestling ( Which just won D II national championship that day) :(

Thats just what I gathered it was for basketball because of this article http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/Report_UNO_Going_To_Division_I_117892579.html?storySection=comments

alanm
03-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm still so pissed off about football getting the axe.
As a former Maverick years ago what happened is unthinkable.
It's a f*cking travesty.

Chocolate Hog
03-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Do ya'll still got Little Kings up there? That was always an enjoyable meal.

SNR
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Wrong. It's all about Maverick hockey.
Adios Football and Wrestling ( Which just won D II national championship that day) :(That's so damn stupid I don't even know what to do with myself :doh!:

I know they got Dean Blais as the hockey coach and already he's given them a pretty damn good start, but sheesh. Division II football championships are awesome and that school is/was damn good.

Really sad to hear the football team is no more

alanm
03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
That's so damn stupid I don't even know what to do with myself :doh!:

I know they got Dean Blais as the hockey coach and already he's given them a pretty damn good start, but sheesh. Division II football championships are awesome and that school is/was damn good.

Really sad to hear the football team is no moreApparently there was a lot of shit going on with the former AD and others in Administration and missing money or pissed away money. That and they have to comply with Title 9 (Naturally :spock: ) so they can't afford football or wrestling anymore. Oh but hey... They got money to fund a new mens soccer team and mens golf.

alanm
03-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Published Monday March 14, 2011
Shatel: To athletes, UNO cuts are mirror of real life

By Tom Shatel (tom.shatel@owh.com)
WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

Meet Andy Schneider.
Omaha kid. Played football at Roncalli High School. Like a lot of our sons, football was the game, and it didn’t matter if the field was at Nebraska Wesleyan or Dana College or UNO or Doane. You’re a kid with hard-working parents and a mortgage and a dream to play the game you love at the next level, any level.
Schneider is like a lot of kids, except he’s had his dream pancaked twice now.
He ended up at Dana College after graduating from Roncalli in 2008. Played two years at left tackle. Then, last June, Dana officials announced that they were closing the doors of the school. Tough news. But Schneider bounced back. He had several inquiries.
He chose UNO.
“I fell in love with the place,’’ Schneider said. “Great people. Great coaches.’’
Schneider redshirted last fall. And was ready to resume his career as a Maverick this fall. Then he went on Twitter late Saturday night. And his heart sank like an anchor.
“UNO going Division I, dropping football.’’
Schneider immediately went on Facebook and chatted with his teammates all night. There wasn’t a lot of sleep.
“I was sick to my stomach,’’ Schneider said. “I said, ‘This can’t be happening again.’ I mean, the rumor was that UNO was going Division I, but we all thought football was going, too. I never would have believed this, not in a million years.’’
Meet Andy Schneider. He’s the human side of this UNO saga.
Chancellor John Christensen and Athletic Director Trev Alberts did their best to put this story in perspective at a Sunday press conference at UNO. There was a lot of talk about finances and NCAA compliance and Title IX and things that ultimately make sense to people in that world. Both Christensen and Alberts did well. They were straight-forward. But it also had a corporate, unemotional feel to it.
They had a security guard outside the alumni center where the press conference was held, to make sure that no fans, students or public showed up. Maybe that was for the best. It could have gotten ugly. People are upset. Let’s hope Alberts meets with boosters, students and the UNO family. They need to hear from him face-to-face. They need to hear some answers.
Alberts did a good thing on Sunday night. He met with UNO student-athletes as a group and tried to explain this and answered questions. But these things are hard to understand for the innocent victims, the kids whose minds are on trying to cram a social life into three classes and a practice every day.
“I understand there’s a business approach to it,’’ Schneider said. “I guess it was a decision they had to make.’’
Let me try to explain it, Andy. Welcome to a new class. It’s called Real Life 101.
What happened to you and your teammates is occurring to people all over the country, on a larger scale. Good people, hard-working, competent people, are losing their jobs. The economy is the villain. But a lot of folks work for companies that overextended themselves, expanded, tried to be something they weren’t, in good times. The bill comes due. Somebody has to pay.
You and your football teammates and coaches and the Maverick wrestlers are, in a sense, paying for the sins of previous UNO incompetence.
Since I arrived in 1991, UNO has had a revolving door of athletic directors and a handful of chancellors. UNO was a good Division II player in many sports. But money and support from the administration has been hard to come by over the years. We can speculate that the Board of Regents never wanted UNO to get too big, but that’s a cop-out. Most of UNO’s problems have been its own doing.
Anyway, UNO has had a long line of athletic directors. One guy was here a few months and left to go sell cars. Seriously. Legend Don Leahy came back and solidified things, then handed off to another UNO son, Bob Danenhauer, but even he left, to go work at OPS. Then there were a couple other guys. On top of the lack of vision and courage, there was a scandal in the chancellor’s office. Christensen was brought in to clean it up. He hired Alberts, a former Husker with no experience at the A.D. job. He looked like a figurehead who would probably last one football season.
UNO athletics was a mess, financially and with NCAA Title IX compliance. UNO added four women’s sports in 1997, but it still wasn’t close to having the balance of scholarships for women to the percentage of women enrolled on campus. Say what you want about Title IX and whether football should be compared to women’s sports, but this imbalance was passed along through the years. And UNO feared that the NCAA was going to hammer it for it.
The four women’s sports came about because UNO added Division I hockey in 1997. And while it made sense, the school didn’t have the plan or the D-I budgetary mentality to handle it. So what did it do? It signed a lease to play at Qwest Center Omaha, which increases its debt. Many said it was the thing to do; look at Creighton. Meanwhile, UNO revenues aren’t increasing. They’re staying the same.
Andy, you might hear about some of this in finance class. Or you might know some of these people when you go into the real world. UNO athletics was like the guy who overextends himself in the name of image, keeping up with the Joneses. He buys the big house, the fancy car, joins the club, has a summer cabin. Then one day he wakes up and finds he’s about to go into bankruptcy. So he starts liquidating assets. The party’s over.
UNO, a booming commuter school in the city, tried to have it all without the means — state subsidy or local boosters — to do it. The tab is here. And Christensen and Alberts aren’t running away. They are here like Dave Ramsey, tightening the belt and putting UNO on a new financial direction. They are here to pay the tab. They are cutting football to get the finances right and get the NCAA off their Title IX trail. They said it was this or else athletics as a whole were going away in five years.
The wrestling move is hard to swallow. You don’t trade championship wrestling for soccer and golf. Alberts and Christensen say wrestling is not a financial move, but ultimately, they say if they kept wrestling at the Division I level, they would have had to put more money into the budget to keep it competitive. And they don’t want to add expenses. They’re in a tight-budget mode. I believe them. You don’t cut a championship tradition like wrestling because it doesn’t align with a mid-major league. You cut it because it’s going to cost too much to keep going.
Let me make one correction. Pat Behrns and Mike Denney are the ones paying the tab. Through it all, Pat and Mike built strong programs, rolled out teams that made UNO and Omaha proud, won in spite of the incompetence and chaos around them. That’s the sad part here. They rose above it all like shining beacons. They pay the price with their jobs.
It’s not fair, Andy. You and your teammates had nothing to do with Nancy Belck or David Herbster or the decision to put hockey in the Qwest Center. But life isn’t fair.
They say college prepares you for the cruel world. Too bad you couldn’t wait until after graduation to find out.
http://omaha.com/article/20110313/SPORTS/703139835/1101727#shatel-to-athletes-uno-cuts-are-mirror-of-real-life

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Just got back from the game, o boy was that fun, that was one of the biggest ass whipping i have ever seen any big 12/10 take. I mean you could tell right after they came out of the tunnel who was ready to play and who wasnt.

How did it feel rooting against the University of Nebraska?

Mr. Arrowhead
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

meh, only root for them in football, since my shocks dont have a football team. I seriously could care less for them in basketball and baseball.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
meh, only root for them in football, since my shocks dont have a football team. I seriously could care less for them in basketball and baseball.

How much could you care less about them?

WilliamTheIrish
03-17-2011, 10:47 AM

"I only cheer for them in football".

That's beautiful.

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 10:53 AM
"I only cheer for them in football".

That's beautiful.

Typical Husker fan. Although I give him a little leeway, since they don't have a football team. You'd figure at least he'd cherry pick one in Kansas.

Chocolate Hog
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Typical Husker fan. Although I give him a little leeway, since they don't have a football team. You'd figure at least he'd cherry pick one in Kansas.

Theres football teams in Kansas?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/MVC026mvc_tourney_2010.jpg

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Theres football teams in Kansas?

One of them relocated to Colorado.

Chocolate Hog
03-17-2011, 11:27 AM
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/MVC026mvc_tourney_2010.jpg

I wouldn't touch either of those things.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't touch either of those things.
From 40 feet out and a six pack in you, you'd take a second look.

Mr. Arrowhead
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Grandparents are Neb grads, so when I was growing up I really had no choice in which college football team to root for lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Grandparents are Neb grads, so when I was growing up I really had no choice in which college football team to root for lol
Posted via Mobile Device

They didn't raise you to be proud Husker basketball fans? ;)

LiveSteam
03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Do ya'll still got Little Kings up there? That was always an enjoyable meal.

Runza & yes Little Kings is still around. What we need is a IMO's pizza shop

Mr. Arrowhead
03-17-2011, 03:22 PM
They didn't raise you to be proud Husker basketball fans? ;)

shit when i was kid, i didnt even know nebraska had a basketball team

Saulbadguy
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Runza & yes Little Kings is still around. What we need is a IMO's pizza shop

What you need is a DOUBLE KONG and a side of KONG FRIES

Gracie Dean
03-17-2011, 04:33 PM

IT was an awesome game!