PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 1, Heat 29

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
We have five performers in this round who are making their first appearance in the tournament, duking it out against three who have made multiple appearances. Who will come out on top? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Hmmm. 3 multiple appearance artists, huh? Let me guess... Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Guns N Roses?

JonesCrusher
03-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Tom Waits and Marillion would be nice first timers.

AustinChief
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM
TRIVIA! Who wrote Red Rubber Ball?

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Hmmm. 3 multiple appearance artists, huh? Let me guess... Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Guns N Roses?

That would indeed be a good guess.

We had a Queen run early and haven't seen them in quite a while. It's funny how the multiple nominees have seemed to have clumps. There was one series where it seemed that most of the Springsteen songs showed up, and I think the Zeppelins tended to be concentrated in the earliest heats.

DJ's left nut
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Hair of the Dog is a great song.

Who doesn't love Seger? He's like a less preachy Springsteen - I think we can all get behind that.

And...well I'm not terribly interested in the rest, so I shall abstain.

Lzen
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Fool In The Rain is probably my least favorite Zeppelin song. And I love Zep.

Reaper16
03-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Suckage option.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Hair Of The Dog, Nazareth - Kind of repetitive, but filled with aggressive RnR spirit. #1 vote.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper - Quit frolicking around and get back in the kitchen.

Old Time Rock N Roll, Bob Seger - Bruce Springsteen wishes he could sing RnR like Bob Seger. This is a good enough song to get my #2 vote.

Fool in the Rain, Led Zeppelin - Mediocre Zeppelin song, which makes it good, but not good enough to get my vote.

Red Rubber Ball, The Cyrkle - I'd never heard this song before. It's pretty good.

California Girls, Beach Boys - I actually liked David Lee Roth's version better, but I'll give it my 3rd vote.

39, Queen - Good song. If I had a 4th vote, it would either go to 39 or Red Rubber Ball.

Not Dark Yet, Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan wishes he could sing RnR like Bruce Springsteen.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Who doesn't love Seger? He's like a less preachy Springsteen - I think we can all get behind that.

Good way to describe him.

And...well I'm not terribly interested in the rest, so I shall abstain.

You could always use your 3rd vote on "suckage". :Poke:

Chiefnj2
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Seger - Only one worth a vote.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Red Rubber Ball, The Cyrkle - I'd never heard this song before. It's pretty good.

Did you watch this video? Look at the singer on the right, and then do an image search of the Steve-O guy on that Jackass show. I think we've found a time traveler.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Did you watch this video? Look at the singer on the right, and then do an image search of the Steve-O guy on that Jackass show. I think we've found a time traveler.

What video?

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
What video?

Oh. My bad.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EbDKN0dk54M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha
03-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Fool In The Rain is probably my least favorite Zeppelin song. And I love Zep.

Certainly not their best, but it's the best song in this shitheap.

1 vote - Zeppelin

patteeu
03-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh. My bad.

Yeah, he does look like the Steve-o guy. Maybe he's his dad.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Hair Of The Dog, Nazareth - Not bad, but not overly distinctive. I wouldn't put it on my ipod, so I can't vote for it.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper - Fun and frothy. Time will tell if she or Madonna becomes the bigger star. Not worth a vote.

Old Time Rock N Roll, Bob Seger - You can't not vote for this song. It's got all of the elements. It's almost as good as a mid-tier Springsteen song. #1 vote.

Fool in the Rain, Led Zeppelin - It doesn't sound like I think a Zeppelin song should sound. It wasn't bad, and if it had been two minutes shorter it would've been better. Not quite up to snuff in a strong heat.

Red Rubber Ball, The Cyrkle - Great song. Good tune, nice voices, good lyrics. #2 vote, almost #1.

California Girls, Beach Boys - You have to like this song, though I agree with patteeu that I prefer the David Lee Roth remake over the Beach Boys. In 90 percent of heats this would've gotten my vote, but it can't rise beyond #4 here.

39, Queen - Good song, good lyrics. I like the line about "the land that my grandchildren knew". Edges out California Girls for my #3 vote.

Not Dark Yet, Bob Dylan - Nice smooth song. I kind of liked it, but not enough to vote for in this heat.

I think the #8 song in this heat is the strongest #8 song in any heat we've had. I didn't find any of these songs objectionable.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
It's almost as good as a mid-tier Springsteen song.

LMAO

Omaha
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Hair Of The Dog, Nazareth - I loved this song when I was 13. By 14 I had outgrown it.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper - This was a cool little pop song when I was younger. I'm not sure it's in this competition....

Old Time Rock N Roll, Bob Seger - See Hair of the Dog

Fool in the Rain, Led Zeppelin - This obviously is not a rocker, but Zeppelin did so many things well. I like this song & it certainly deserves a vote here

Red Rubber Ball, The Cyrkle - WTF?

California Girls, Beach Boys - DLR's version is better

39, Queen - Brian May is a badass, but Queen just sorta annoys me.

Not Dark Yet, Bob Dylan - Not one of my favorite Dylan songs.

Zeppelin gets the lone vote.

AustinChief
03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Seriously, no one bothered to guess at who wrote Red Rubber Ball?

Ok, dickheads.. I'll tell you... it was Paul Simon.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I would have guessed, but when I watched the video to listen to it, it was one of the top comments. I had no idea that was the case, though.

Another comment on youtube was that one of the singers is Ashton Kutcher's father. I'm going to need more proof before I believe that, but thought it was interesting.

patteeu
03-17-2011, 05:34 PM

I was just going to guess that.

What song in today's poll did this guy write:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xbEW3AyNxIA/SjSB0W5rglI/AAAAAAAACD8/cUdliaJ_fjg/s400/R-1235238-1238491062.jpg

patteeu
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I would have guessed, but when I watched the video to listen to it, it was one of the top comments. I had no idea that was the case, though.

Another comment on youtube was that one of the singers is Ashton Kutcher's father. I'm going to need more proof before I believe that, but thought it was interesting.

Nonsense. Steve Jobs is Ashton Kutcher's father.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/shareables/quEilznzsijFepoxeIlJfDFwAokvfjbHAxArEdmetyCGqHGIHoupHiiFalEl/media_httpimagesicanh_bayCg.jpg.scaled500.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1300401762&Signature=V1dl7hGW80T0AWUllpVVofL%2FXpw%3D

RJ
03-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I'll give Nazareth a vote. That's it for this heat.

Slainte
03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Cyrkle, Beach Boys, Queen

Predarat
03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
The last few heats have been damn good, this one was another tough choice.

deadbabyseal
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
There aren't nearly enough votes for the greatest song about Einsteinian time dilation EVER!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BnfeI0h9eB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo
03-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Dude...

I really love In Through the Out Door, but it's nowhere close to having any of it's songs on my 100 best of lists.

I feel for you Rain, I really do.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2011, 01:12 AM
TRIVIA! Who wrote Red Rubber Ball?

Paul Simon.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2011, 01:13 AM

Well, fuck. You killjoy. One of my very FAVORITE oldies of all time. I love that song.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Paul Simon.

Well, fuck. You killjoy. One of my very FAVORITE oldies of all time. I love that song.

God, I love that song. Thanks for posting a video of it Rainman. Nostalgia hardcore! It totally sounds Simon and Garfunkel esque. Good times. Now if we can get some Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots, my night will be complete.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-18-2011, 01:19 AM
If this song isn't in this competition, you fuckers are too young. This song is awesome!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gCdGqed6Ajg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RippedmyFlesh
03-18-2011, 03:18 AM
God, I love that song. Thanks for posting a video of it Rainman. Nostalgia hardcore! It totally sounds Simon and Garfunkel esque. Good times. Now if we can get some Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots, my night will be complete.
Could have included more Grass Roots
Share the land
Temptation Eyes
Sooner Or Later

patteeu
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I was just going to guess that.

What song in today's poll did this guy write:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xbEW3AyNxIA/SjSB0W5rglI/AAAAAAAACD8/cUdliaJ_fjg/s400/R-1235238-1238491062.jpg

This is the guy, Robert Hazard, that wrote "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", fwiw.

Rain Man
03-18-2011, 02:47 PM
This is the guy, Robert Hazard, that wrote "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", fwiw.

I never would've guessed that. Or at the very least, it would've taken me nine guesses.

Rain Man
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Moving along in the tourney are:

Hair of the Dog
Old Time Rock and Roll
California Girls

Omaha
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
That's pathetic

patteeu
03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
That's pathetic

Yeah, I know. If there was ever a song that should have been written by a girl, it was that one. Guys constantly have to pick up the slack created by women. Ask GoChiefs if you don't believe me.